What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Y46, D357 - The Negi Maru departs for Sarnus (Outer Planets Mod), and will reach the ringed planet in about 4.5 years. This is the third "Project DIVA F" (Designing Interplanetary Vehicle Architecture with Fission propulsion) mission.

NxjMgai.png

mtQFg9u.png

6 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

Just a heads up, the new surface features won't spawn in a carried over saved game.   You can edit the save file to add them in, there's a thread or 2 on here explaining how to do it.  I initially did that with a 1.6 career and it worked, but I had a mod compatibility issue & ditched it for a fresh career anyway.

o poo

On a now moot point, I've delivered the... space station components... to my space station I won't be needing anymore...

Lez1Uzx.png

3RMeCnY.png

*Starts new campaign.*

Edited by MisterKerman

The trouble with the early game is I tend to slap stuff together that works but doesn't really look that good.

For example my first Mun lander, trying to fit the science experiments and enough fuel and a capsule to land and return in a single vessel means I've ended up somewhat asymmetric, Materials lab on one pod, service bay on another for experiments and batteries, and a reaction wheel on the third one

B7AZ5u4.png

It was only intended for one mission but due to some further KOS testing it's ended up doing 3.  Time to replace it with lander can based design and an orbital fuel dump!

I'm not that impressed with the graphics for the new surface features though, it really does look like it was plonked there as an afterthought

4U0dMHC.png

13 hours ago, MisterKerman said:

o poo

It's really not bad - you just have to add in a single line to the existing save.  That worked just fine, my issue was between two mods that didn't want to play nice together - which probably had nothing to do with Breaking Ground, just my career wasn't far enough along to discover the issue until after i updated.

I added the line to an existing save just fine.  No worries.

The one thing to look out for is that there's no guarantee that the new features won't spawn below/through existing rovers and bases.  But they are somewhat rare...

Today I fired up 1.7.3. Haven't played in a while and I decided to wait until the propellers were added.

Well I got really confused.

Spoiler

MGfp2Wy.jpg

I was experimenting and trying to produce thrust. Someone gave some advice in another thread, I'll try it later.

Anyways, I was looking into supersonic transports (SSTs) recently and I came across an interesting idea from the 1950s/early 1960s to develop the B-58 Hustler into an SST. One such model was called the 58-9. I decided to make a kind of replica of this.

KHppdKc.jpg

I think I did a pretty good job.

This beast is capable of Mach 3+ though, and I'm pretty sure the 58-9 was intended for just over Mach 2. No matter, this thing is pretty awesome.

I took it out for a spin with Jeb for the first test flight.

dZMkov0.jpg

Jeb's need for speed was handled pretty well in this thing. Didn't even handle poorly either at subsonic speeds.

SgZ8bWJ.jpg

Here I've returned to the KSC after a large turn. Trying to land this guy.

cdN7DnE.jpg

Didn't end well.

xhuDl4n.jpg

Next Val took it in the other direction to test its range. Essentially I wanted to get to the Dessert Airfield.

eJDJFgJ.jpg

I made it to the airfield but overflew too much.

isYi9ZZ.jpg

I tried to turn around but the airfield runs north and south which was a fact I managed to forget... so I had to try landing on the ground.

9YDzPak.jpg

I learned that 40.4 m/s is too slow for this bird since it's tough to keep the vertical speed low without sacrificing velocity.

J0qCwbM.jpg

I still managed to get it down, minus two engines and a little crooked.

If I flew it more often I could probably get landing down pretty well.

What I found interesting about this plane was that I could probably adapt it from an SST to an SSTO. So I replaced the jets with Rapiers.

e4kteUO.jpg

Here I'm just testing it to see if I can get it fast enough. Looks like I can. Next time I'll try to get it to orbit.

Expedition Eeloo (MISSION NOT PROGRAM)

"Hug the icy dwarf already!"

The last mission going outer now going inner with Expedition Tylo and Expedition Laythe then Expedition Gilly (Includes Eve) and to conclude the Expedition Eeloo program we will head to Expedition Moho! But the mission to Eeloo was a long wished mission. I first played and wanted to land on eeloo with crew and now I have! I must had the thrill with circulization

The scariest part of the mission!

So unfortunately I didn't have enough fuel in the cruise stage to circularize at Eeloo so I would use the orbiter BAUT sadly I use the wolfhound engine so I would blow up the lander since it was under the engine. So what I had to do was:

1. Fire the cruise stage

2. stage

3. Decouple from the lander and turn around ASAP

4. Burn the engine to dock

5. Then flip ASAP to finish circulization'

THIS SET OF INSTRUCTIONS WOULD HAVE TO BE COMPLETED UNDER 30 SECONDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My next set of missions

1. Expedition Tylo - weekend and begenning of next week

2. Laythe ascent test - After expedition Tylo

3. Expedition Laythe - Mid July

4. Eve ascent test - Mid to Late July

5. Expedition Gilly (includes Eve) - Late July to Early August

6. Expedition Moho - Before september

FIND ALL THE IMAGES AND VIDEOS ON https://kerbalanders.wordpress.com/2019/07/11/expedition-eeloo-mission-fin/

expedition-eeloo-has-completed-another-landing-on-eeloo.png?w=1500&h=

expedition-eeloo-mission-fin..png?w=1500&h=

ha....-ha....-rest-in-peace-pluto.png?w=1500&h=

lets-climb-a-glacier.png?w=1750&h=

look-everywhere.png?w=1500&h=

successful-deorbit.png?w=1500&h=

My first meme

get-my-posters.png?w=486

But seriously get my posters!!!!!!!

"Happy Launchings"

-Doodle

Spent some more time beating my head on the desk.  The part that is kicking my tail is the Corvus CF nose - it's made for the Corvus 1.25m 2-seat pod (obviously) but I'm trying to get it to work with the stock Gemini pod.  But the parachute only gets it down to ~9 m/s, which is too high.  If I have anything more than pod & nose, it jumps up to 10-11.  I kept adding to the the drag values with no effect.  Then I tried copying the relevant sections of another mod's Gemini nose that I know has an effective parachute.  Initially, that caused the command pod to explode upon chute deployment, then it caused the chute to not deploy.  Then I got it to deploy and it slowed the capsule down to ~4 m/s, but it had no visible chute.  Then I got the visible chute back, and speed jumped back up to 10-11 m/s.

In my other KSP install, I did a few course correction maneuvers & sent an experimental lander to Mun - the Mun Reactor Experiment-1.   Basically, it's just sitting on the surface, running the reactor for a few months, then I'm going to launch it back to Kerbin for recovery.  I've had this reactor part forever, but never used it before.

CcDRvZR.png?1

EDIT:  HAHAHA!!! Success!!!!!  I made one more set of changes, and now it slows down a 2-seat pod with extra gear to ~5 m/s (a little too effective actually), has a visible chute and doesn't cause any explosions!!  I'll have to try to tune it to be a little less effective, but I'm just thrilled it finally worked.

hF0Bw0F.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

4 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

get-my-posters.png?w=486

Now that's Jebposting! Let's see what happens to Drake afterwards.

EDIT : How do you got Jeb's model there?

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

Finally starting to explore the Mun at higher latitudes.

I've brought in stacks of Ladybug "flitters":

PaPvH0j.png

This Ladybug landed from orbit at an equatorial base and refueled to depart toward 45N where a Goblin mining rig was waiting on the surface but in a sub-optimal location.  When arriving in the area, the Ladybug detoured briefly to locate an open plain.  This is absolutely the best way to get around on the Mun!!
6huBWUg.png     MMHO9YH.png

Then the Goblin relocated to land nearby the Ladybug...  which then docked atop the Goblin, to refuel:

3cL3KJF.png     uaipxTz.png

The Ladybug pilot has retreated into the Goblin for a cup of tea while the Goblin begins to refill its tanks with sweet Munar crude...

a4HEpnb.png

Too bad the only engineer onboard the Goblin had gotten off at the last stop, so now we'll have to fly another one in!!

[click an image and use the arrows to see a slide-show at full-screen resolution]

Edited by Hotel26

Well... today we walked away from a landing, even if we had lost a leg :P

Propellers are not easy to manage if you have no plan at all, but they start to make sense. A a lot of more factors to keep in mind, when designing a helicopter/propeller thingie. Once you know, that it is not RPM you need to control, everything gets a lot easier.

A lot of fun and so much new things to fiddle around with... 1.7.3 is a great update so far! Wheeeeee, back to the drawing board.

RkeAaEN.png

I haven't had a chance to get the update yet, but I continued with my career.  The first few Duna ships arrived today - specifically the crew station & the Duna Express crew vehicle, along with a few other random craft.

Duna station in Duna orbit:

HwO4PGM.png?1

The crew got a fly-by of Ike on their way to Duna orbit, so Vall jumped out to get an EVA report & collect data from the science experiments

dihV8ih.png?1

20 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

It's really not bad - you just have to add in a single line to the existing save.

Yea, I was just being dramatic. I did however start a new career that night shortly after that post and I'm attached to the charm of working my way up the tech tree again.

About to unlock some plane parts and build a small observation plane, but due to my old career I don't think I'll be wasting time observing Kerbin in atmosphere or in a polar orbit unless it's extremely convenient for me. Tourism and part testing seems to be where the most reliable and less time consuming funding seems to be.

Hadn´t so much fun playing KSP in a long time. Finally it is back to experimenting... - I finally made a real plane with propellers... :)

A713ifV.png

Flies pretty stable in VTOL mode, but tends to hug ground features in horizontal mode... needs tweaking for sure :D

1 hour ago, Frank_G said:

Hadn´t so much fun playing KSP in a long time. Finally it is back to experimenting... - I finally made a real plane with propellers... :)

A713ifV.png

Flies pretty stable in VTOL mode, but tends to hug ground features in horizontal mode... needs tweaking for sure :D

Tilt rotor blades are designed to be halfway between a prop and heli blade, essentially, and the patch only gave us one or the other. I wonder how much of a fudge factor between the flight regimes of the two types of blades there is, because presumably they knew people would make tilt rotors and didn't see reason to add a special blade model for it. The small heli blade and the large prop blade are roughly the same size aren't they? An engine nacelle with a mix of blade types might be interesting for jack of all trades flying.

I tinkered with my alternate KSP build some more, with mixed results.  Some of parts I was trying to bring over from other mods are more complex than I thought & aren't going to work without the full mod installed.  Others are working great, so I may end having to install more mods in this build than I planned, or just do without.

In my ongoing career, more vessels of my Duna fleet arrived in-system, including the Duna lander.  Once docked with Duna Station, the crew immediately transferred over & headed for the surface.  A precision landing by Jeb placed them on reasonably flat ground near an anomaly.  First up was planting the flag:

hNN1oAx.png?1

Setting up surface experiments to monitor the anomaly in the future:

0qF6NgN.png?1

After finishing, Kelrik went to investigate the anomaly close up.  After checking it out, he decided to try out his parachute for the trip back

Spoiler

61Kq0Hj.png?1

On the way back, he spotted some blueberries to investigate as well.  After a barely-survivable parachute landing, he was too shaken up to remember the F2 key:

lxfRZ30.png?1