What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Who hoo! Victory for me!!!!

On 7/2/2016 at 2:20 PM, Gojira1000 said:

Happy page 1000, I guess?

This was the 1000th post three years ago

Edited by Guest

After about 5 Trips refueling Kerbol Explorer 172, I am starting to see how little headway I am making with so much time. I am considering a larger craft to haul more fuel per trip!

Also I'm not sure what distance I will get with the craft when its fueled. My first choice of destination would be Duna.

KXOXDCZ.png

Edited by Castille7

wG0pKmB.png

I made this to mark the thread reaching 2000 pages. That's a lot of pages!

j1kpfp5.png

aeCBaPw.png

It's a great place to stand.

QamZdAv.png

Also doing an Apollo. I'm  surprised the 50th anniversary doesn't have its own thread.4x3osBS.png

EdDoVWT.png

5DAXfwu.pngfkyD0sy.png

BjxoMVM.png

Edited by Tw1

Congrats on page 2000 team KSP forum! But let's never forget at which cost this came.

It was the beginning of 2014, ah yes, I remember it like it was yesterday...

"What did you do in KSP today" was the new kid on the block in the General Discussion subforum, where it was in direct competition with the more mature "Show off your awesome KSP pictures" thread, originally started by Capt'n Skunky. Because there were too many stickies in GD, the mods decided to move SOYAKP to KSP Fanworks, much to the confusion of the community. The community valiantly tried to get SOYAKP moved back to its place of birth, but alas, it was not meant to be. The post count dwindled and the thread all but died.

So here's to you, "Awesome KSP pictures", we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you!

On 7/15/2019 at 2:54 AM, MisterKerman said:

Holy bumz. What a great craft @Yakuzi

Thanks heaps @MisterKerman! I finished the craft and uploaded it to KerbalX, it's full stock/vanilla so you can take off immediately (and vertically) without any hassle.

Mandatory showing off awesome KSP picture:

ZwBPcC2.png

12 minutes ago, Yakuzi said:

Congrats on page 2000 team KSP forum! But let's never forget at which cost this came.

"What did you do in KSP today" was the new kid on the block in the General Discussion subforum, where it was in direct competition with the more mature "Show off your awesome KSP pictures" thread, originally started by Capt'n Skunky. Because there were too many stickies in GD, the mods decided to move SOYAKP to KSP Fanworks, much to the confusion of the community. The community valiantly tried to get SOYAKP moved back to its place of birth, but alas, it was not meant to be. The post count dwindled and the thread all but died.

I think I must have missed the switching of the location of the SOYAKP thread to Fanworks (started playing mid 2014), but it being placed there always seemed a bit odd. You're not the only one to notice that its postcount has diminished a lot over the years compared with other threads, even with the growth of visual mods providing better images.

31 minutes ago, Yakuzi said:

So here's to you, "Awesome KSP pictures", we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you

It's a pity it gets less traffic. If I recall, its move was also an attempt to bring more traffic to the fanworks subform, which always could have done with more visitors.
IMHO, this thread and that one do serve slightly different purposes, this one is for talking what you've been up to, that one is more about aesthetic images.

Also, it's interesting that that thread was ended at 84 pages due to size, when now even the pictures thread is 500+. Things have come a long way.
Also, just look at all those really old pictures 

Edited by Tw1

I've had a long absence due to holidays (finally visited KSC - the one in Florida, not Kerbal). I've no new pictures from the game, but I could spam you with SaturnV pictures if you like :-)

Getting back I of course fired up KSP as soon as my wife was in bed, and spent the next hour doing the last bits of docking to the bohemoth I've been building in LKO. I didn't press F5 enough though and had KSP crash taking all my work with it. By the time I'm back to where I started it's now 2:30 am. So that's most of last night's work in the bin.

I also learned that the bohemoth that I've been building is fundamentally flawed. As soon as I turn on the engines the truss segments noodle and I'm off flying in a random direction. My plan to work around the noodlyness doesn't work, so that's most of the last few week's work in the bin.

On the bright side I have a new design to try out tonight, will report back...

(1.6.1) Another fairly busy day with the ongoing Duna/Ike expedition yesterday, but I kicked things off by moving the Bopcomm Charlie communications satellite about thirty kilometers closer to the adjacent Bopcomm Bravo in its orbit. The adjustment gave me a proper triangle over Bop by the end of the day.

9x1wxw4.png
2000 pages for the thread, and coincidentally, my 3000th KSP image posted to Imgur...

After I was done fiddling with the satellite, Necessary Evil rendezvoused and docked with space station Dunaport, having come back to the station when I discovered late yesterday that I had a pair of tourists that had failed to visit the surface on its initial visit during this expedition. The Nostromo 7 resource lander then conducted a burn that would take it to rendezvous with LSV House Atreides in Duna orbit, hauling a load of Materials Kits needed for the construction of the TBD 7dB base-seeding lander under construction aboard Atreides.

While Nostromo was still en route to Atreides (and rather than getting on with landing tourists on Duna), I began a program of crew rotation at my bases and space stations in the Kerbin SOI; I finally managed to re-train up some of my colonists (had to do it manually - my version of Pathfinder is an older one - but there are instructions on how to do that on the wiki and Notepad++ makes finding the needed attribute text in big persistence files much easier to handle). The first step in the rotation involved loading engineer Mathat Kerman aboard an Echo Flyer 7b quadcopter at KSC and flying him the three kilometers south to the South Base outpost, where the craft landed safely. Mathat attached the Echo Flyer to the base via Mineshaft tunnel, and engineers Beamon, Jebtrey and Necal Kerman (the latter two of which having been newly frocked) boarded the 'copter. After detaching the 'copter from the base, Mathat took up his new post at South Base and I flew the 'copter back to the space center.

F7LOfOQ.png
Guys, I know you're eager to go to space, but the ship you're in...well, it can't fly above 11,000 meters. I know...I've tried......

Beamon, Necal and Jebtrey will be joining four more KSC staff to head up to space station Kerbinport at the next available opportunity. These seven kerbalnauts will eventually see deep space assignments.

Meanwhile, as part of the same program of crew rotation, I went ahead and had scientist Willin Kerman board Necessary Evil at Dunaport; Willin's been aboad the station by herself for quite some time and I'm afraid she might've gone a little loopy. Tourists Ally and Mertrey Kerman boarded the Spamcan 7b lander parked at Dunaport, when then departed and affected a safe landing in the Lowlands. The 'can then returned without indicent to Dunaport and Ally and Mertrey rejoined their fellows aboard Necessary Evil, which then departed the station and set a rendezvous with House Atreides for the journey back to Kerbin.

While Necessary Evil was still en route, Nostromo rendezvoused with House Atreides.

9ijMP0B.png
Backlighting - it's a wonderful thing. Said no one recently...I'm still waiting on that key-and-fill-lighting mod, y'all...

mzuT1Yu.png
At the time that I took this picture, I was concerned about Nostromo taking up Atreides's last good parking space. It didn't occur to me until just now that she could've parked off the workshop since I wasn't going to be warping with it still docked. Oh well.

After Nostromo successfully docked with Atreides, I was able to check the status of the TBD construction; Atreides had ran out of Rocket Parts, so I went ahead and had the Enchova Central outpost on the Dunan surface send up a fresh supply via mass driver. Combined with the load of Materials Kits that Nostromo had brought to Atreides and the very high productivity rating (21.3) of the four engineers aboard, things went swiftly after that - the TBD was completed a mere fifteen minutes later. Delivery completed, Nostromo departed Atreides and burned to head for Dunaport, with the ship reconfiguring itself to haul Slag and Minerals en route. Shortly after Nostromo's departure, Necessary Evil made her rendezvous.

PqsazsP.png
Val arrived with the last good parking spot on opposite side of the ship, naturally. Also, have any of y'all ever tried controlling the ship in the background? It plays with your senses quite a bit...

Val docked Necessary Evil to House Atreides without incident, and Nostromo rendezvoused and docked with Dunaport very last thing yesterday evening. This morning, Enchova Central sent up fuel, Enriched Uranium and Equipment to House Atreides, as well as fuel, Slag and Minerals to Dunaport. Nostromo then departed Dunaport to head to Ike and a rendezvous with space station Ikeport; she'll arrive at periapsis over Ike in just over 2 hours. Ikeport is scheduled to make an orbit-to-ground mass driver shot to deliver the Slag and Minerals to the Scan Queen outpost on the surface, where these materials will be used to make Konkrete to help finish out the base's construction. Meanwhile, House Atreides warped to Kerbin; since none of her tourists needed to go to Eve and the TBD was already built, fueled and supplied, it made more since to stop off at Kerbin first to drop Necessary Evil off as well as the G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft she'd previously built while in orbit of Bop. Atreides arrived at 1,970 m/s, slow enough to attain orbit without warp-back maneuvers; she maneuvered to a 300.1 x 262.7 kilometer, 19.34° inclined orbit, after which the G-LOC departed. The G-LOC has already attained a 100x99, 0.16° orbit and de-orbiting the craft for recovery is the very first thing on the agenda in my next session. I'll also begin the process of getting Necessary Evil back to Kerbinport, where an Auk XVI 12-passenger spaceplane is waiting to bring my tourists back home.

Long term, House Atreides still needs to go to Eve to drop off two engineers, one at the Caue Serpente Yards over Eve and the other at the Samwell Tarly Yards over Gilly. It's my hope that the G-LOC will open the door for a landing on Bop, and if that's the case, Atreides will be heading back to Bop after its delivery - the base-seeding lander is ready after all, and the intended crew of the new base has been along for the ride getting trained up the entire time. J.G. Backus is still en route back to LSV House Corrino in high orbit over Eve after conducting a rescue mission there; I'm still a little concerned about Backus having sufficient fuel for the rendezvous but I have confidence in the contingency plan I've come up with in case things go badly. I've also still got the launch of the Beer Can 7 from the Alexander L. Kielland outpost on Eve coming up in a few days. All the rest of the infrastructure for that launch is in place at this point, and if all goes according to plan I'll have five tourists and one rescuee heading back to Kerbin after launching from Eve's surface. I'm confident the launch will succeed but I'd be foolhardy to think I'll pull it off on the first attempt. Always hope, though...

21 minutes ago, Puggonaut said:

<snip>

+1 Because your avatar looks very nearly like my dog.

VuX7mr4.jpg     xD2otm9.png

Back to the subject. My overland journey around the mun continues! I actually got a chance to drive the rover over razorback ridges and tricky jumps while bouncing around in the back of a transit bus doing 70 mph down the highway! It gave a very realistic 4D feel. :D

Edited by The Dunatian

8 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

OMG! Amazing film! Great efects, how do you get the freeze launching efects in the pad? :confused:

Today i had launch and finish the second "Polaris Deep Space Comunication" the first of a multidisciplinary and expandable modular base, the ESPRO II.

549raU6.png

As always, the mission report here, and the photolog mission here. (Spanish language).

Didn't get too much actually accomplished due to Kerbal Launch Failure intervening for only the 2nd time in this career to blast my expensive Laythe floating base to pieces due to a booster engine explosion.  Most of the base was recovered, but hazmat crews had a substantial radiation hazard to clean up due to the remnants of the core coming through the fairing base, heatshield, structural fuselage & decoupler to smash the lower service bay (with 2 RTG's & a small nuclear reactor).  Several kerbals out watching the launch received high doses & turned into mystery goo, so at least R&D's goo supply was replenished

Anyway, after waiting for the KSC pad to become available again (I restrict myself on how frequent my launches are based on craft mass - <18t = 1 day wait, 18-140t = 10 days, >140 = 20 days), I tried again & got to orbit this time.  I still have to launch & dock a tug to actually move the base to Laythe. 

For scale - this is a 5m core with 3.75m radial boosters.  The first pair has been staged & on of them is visible in the background falling away

KOPz5IV.png?1

Clear of the atmosphere.  I'm really glad the fairing pieces aren't persistent. 

0BxFvyd.png?1

And finally in a stable orbit, waiting for the tug to take it to Laythe.  

BC3lA2F.png?1

With the vets away on Duna, Summer Kerman is now my senior pilot & she took up a flying rover design I downloaded from somewhere* for a quick test flight over to the Island Airstrip.  Flew pretty nice for what is basically a brick with wings - and folding ones at that. 

5gfyd2I.png?1

2uXBQ9e.png?1

Jb5xKWX.png?1

After that successful flight, Summer went on to test fly @Brikoleur's Super Kosmocopter.  She did survive the attempt, but neither the copter or runway did.   Trying to take off as a helicopter, the hub became unstable as blade angle increased, then the craft became unstable, then lots and lots of explosions happened, then there was a cockpit laying upside down on the destroyed runway with Summer and not much else.  Apparently it was meant to take off from Kerbin with blades locked?  Cause on a second attempt that almost worked till I over-rotated & lost the tail

* I thought it came from KerbalX, but I couldn't find it on there to give credit to the designer & I'm not at my game computer to see what the craft file says.  So if this is your design, it's pretty slick, thanks for sharing it.

6 hours ago, MikeZDB said:

OMG! Amazing film! Great efects, how do you get the freeze launching efects in the pad? :confused:

KSP Plume Party just type that in google 

6 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

+1 Because your avatar looks very nearly like my dog.

VuX7mr4.jpg     xD2otm9.png

Back to the subject. My overland journey around the mun continues! I actually got a chance to drive the rover over razorback ridges and tricky jumps while bouncing around in the back of a transit bus doing 70 mph down the highway! It gave a very realistic 4D feel. :D

Well she is a Half / Lab , Half Rottie and 3 years old , so yer similar .

I tried for hours to make a hybrid compound helicopter VTOL SSTO that would work on both 3x Rald and 3x Duna.

I did not succeed.

Details if interested:

Spoiler

I had basically 2.5 jumbo 64 tanks of fuel, and was carrying 1 jumbo 64 tank as a payload. On kerbin it was lifted by 2 heavy rotors with 4 large heli blades each (8 total). Another 2 standard rotors with 2 medium heli blades each were set up to provide pitch control in the hover.

Forward electric propulsion was from another 2 heavy rotors with 8 large prop blades each (16 total), and for orbit it had 6 rapiers.

It couldn't break mach 1 on the rapiers at low altitude, not even 300 m/s. I figured it was fine. Rapiers lose less thrust as the air gets thinner, so thrust/drag ratio should get better, and it would operate in lower gravity, so it could have less AoA.

So Rald's atmo pressure at sea level is 1/5th of Kerbin's, and its G is just over 1/2 of Kerbin's. The atmo pressure means I should have 5x the rotor area, but the 0.5ish G should bring that down to 2.5x. 8 blades becomes 20 blades... yeesh. It still wasn't lifting with 20 large heli blades (2 heavy rotors was enough though, as it spun up to 460 RPM just fine). So I ditched the payload, and it could then slowly climb. Without payload, it could be lifted by just 16 large heli blades.

It also seemed to have very poor flight characteristics and became unstable at even moderate forward velocity (manifesting orders of magnitude worse than on kerbin, where it easily transitioned to forward flight from hover)

Still couldn't break mach 1, so I went fro 6 to 8 rapiers, still couldn't. I ditched the pitch control rotors, instead relying on reaction wheels and fuel shifting. Still couldn't. Ditched the idea of flying around the surface on electric power and only using fuel to reach orbit: Replaced the electric props for horizontal propulsion with rapiers: 10 rapiers now.

The problem was all those blades on the top that it kept taking a high AOA, even having some thrust offset (by raising one pair of rapiers, that I could shut off in theory for vacuum flight), it kept flying at 10 degree AoA. I could push the nose down momentarily and getting AoA to near zero, and it would accelerate to almost mach 1 before pitching up to 10 degree AoA again and slowing down.

I just kept failing to get it to break mach 1 with 16 large rotor blades above it.

Then I abandoned the whole idea, and just used a tilt engine design with normal jet engines and rockets.

1 hour ago, KatastrophicKonstellations said:

Well today I did my first docking of a interplanetary vessel, this is the Lander docked to the Habitation module, They still don't have a transfer stage though... https://imgur.com/a/2AR9Jw7

Very nice and welcome to the forums!

If you copy the bbc-code from your imgur picture site and paste it into the post, the picture is shown directly here, so people don't need to leave the page :)

(1.6.1) Log looks pretty thin today but there were some important events that happened yesterday, starting with the de-orbiting of the G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft that LSV House Atreides recently brought to Kerbin, her crew having originally printed the craft over Bop.

CecLGbv.png
Twilight is better than total darkness, though not by much. Didn't miss the mark by much either.

The G-LOC splashed down safely about ten kilometers east of KSC, clearing my current exploration contract to bring a craft back to Kerbin from orbit of Bop. My hope had been that this would've unlocked Bop for ground missions, but the next exploration contract involves transferring a crew member between two craft over Jool. I will be sending Atreides back that way after her current mission to bring two engineers to Eve/Gilly is complete, and I hope to be able to fulfill that contract at that time.

Next up was Necessary Evil's departure from House Atreides, with the ship burning for a rendezvous with space station Kerbinport bringing home a load of passengers from a recent expedition to Duna and Ike.

qgM7REs.png
Necessary Evil conducting a plane-change burn to take it to Kerbinport. Your glamour shot for the day.

Prior to the craft's arrival and successful docking at Kerbinport, I also completed a burn that would take the Nostromo 7 resource lander to rendezvous with space station Ikeport. Once Necessary Evil docked, it was time to shuffle folks - Val boarded the station and took up the command post, pilot Gregald Kerman returned to the command seat aboard Necessary Evil, and tourists Magbus, Dilmon, Ally and Mertrey Kerman boarded a waiting Auk XVI 12-passenger spaceplane along with scientist Willin Kerman recently returned from Duna, pilot Wilrey Kerman and scientists Siefen and Frovan Kerman. Necessary Evil was refueled from the station's stores and departed for Mun, where it arrived after a nearly five hour flight last thing last night and set up a rendezvous with space station Munport. Meanwhile, with ten butts in the seats the Auk departed the station. Nostromo rendezvoused and docked with Ikeport at that point, with the station conducting a mass driver shot to send down the supplies of Slag and Minerals that Nostromo had hauled from Duna to the Scan Queen outpost on the surface; as hoped, this has restarted Konkrete production at Scan Queen, and I hope it will be enough to help me complete the outpost's construction (finally). The Auk de-orbited next and landed safely at KSC 09, clearing two tourist contracts and a long-standing Ike science contract in the process (the science from Ike just needed to reach the surface and I stowed it aboard the plane a long time ago). After the Auk's landing, I took advantage of the fact that there were no planes docked to the station for once and had South Base shoot some much-needed fuel supplies to Kerbinport via mass driver.

With everything completed locally, House Atreides set course for Eve and warped out of Kerbin's orbit. Eve is still on the far side of Kerbol from Kerbin, so I'm utilizing the "slow warp" method to get there (basically just using Kerbol's gravity to reduce the relative approach velocity as much as possible before conducting the final warp to the target body). Atreides was down to about half a tank of exotic matter at the time (what with all the warping around Jool, Bop, Duna, Ike and Kerbin that she's done recently), so I also took advantage of the opportunity to refuel the tank with some sweet sweet solar rays while I was at it (at close range, eight Gigantors make a tonne of power, y'all). The ship is still slowing down as of this post and I'm hoping nothing critical overheats to the point of explosion...

This morning after several days of waiting, J.G. Backus came to its rendezvous with LSV House Corrino in high Eve orbit, having completed the rescue of scientist Malgar Kerman there. My contingency plan to recover the ship in the event it ran out of fuel proved unnecessary - she hit the rendezvous with 530 m/s of fuel remaining and only needed a little over 200 to brake for docking. At this point, House Corrino will be heading back to Kerbin to drop Malgar off, but I won't depart there until House Atreides reaches Eve - I try not to have two ships doing warp maneuvers at the same time. Necessary Evil also docked successfully at Munport, at which point the station's Spamcan 7a landed departed and burned to rendezvous with the Non Caseus Yards in orbit. The plan there is to pick up scientist Roddon Kerman from the shipyard (whose presence is accomplishing nothing at the moment), land him at the Piper Alpha outpost on the Munar surface and then bring Bob along with pilot Patrod Kerman and scientist Tefrod Kerman back to Munport. They'll board Necessary Evil at that point, which will then make the necessary set of maneuvers to head to Minmus for additional crew pickup and replacements.

Today I hope to get House Atreides to Eve. I still haven't decided which engineer -  Macnie, Gemul or Matdon Kerman - will be joining pilot Edsy Kerman and scientist Wehrdas Kerman in establishing the ground outpost on Bop and which two will be heading to the shipyards in the Eve/Gilly SOI. I also hope to be able to pull off the crew transfer at Mun and maybe get House Corrino en route to Kerbin. I've got plans to send up several KSC staff to Kerbinport as well and I may be doing a spaceplane flight if time permits.

I've got eight hours to go on the construction of the Beer Can 7 Eve ascent vehicle at the Alexander L. Kielland outpost on Eve's surface. Given tomorrow's RL historical significance, I may try to make the launch happen then and let y'all know how it went when I make my next log report to y'all. Fingers crossed...