What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today the Mün-2 Crew retuned to Kerbin

The Engineers forget to add some RCS to the Lander, so they come up in LKO to add them. They have not much time and need to return after the Work is done.

QMIYYkw.png

EMWdc06.png

After the RCS is installed and the Engineers landed on Kerbin, the Mün-2 Crew prepares the Maneuver to Mün.

3O6aC9q.png

Goodbye Kerbin.

kirXxgD.png

iZzljit.png

After 1 Kerbalday the Mün-2 arrives at the Mün, the Half full Kerbin rises above the Mün. They get a target crater to place the SEP-Station.

xDbp4gy.png

PFNcoN1.png

0wYtYRT.png

28b4sa2.png

The Landing was very critical at the last 1000 meters the Lander was to fast, the crew used RCS to brake more than the engine. The Lander has 540m/s dV left after it landed, but luckily the RCS is now installed.

vr21khf.png

OL1Bmf3.png

3WAlaEo.png

The SEP-Station is doing some science now, the Crew completed the Mission now they need to come back home.

OmGiAsU.png

Start was successful with RCS the Mün-2 reached a stable Orbit arround the Mün, now it's time to Dock with the Orbiter.

yTZBXfJ.png

6vt8eop.png

HnDteCm.png

Kerbin is now about 90% full as they returned from Mün back to Kerbin.

b3H41Dy.png

6hqJZf7.png

Back in Kerbins upper atmosphere it's Time to Burn Retrograde to slow down the Ship, at apoapsis they make a stable Orbit to get time for a Landing place (somewhere in the water)

wnBCiJd.png

Reentry was successful after the Parachutes opened the Mission was a 100% Success, the SEP-Station is collection Science at the Mün and the Crew waits for the Rescue from the Kerbin Sea.

Lp4qJHe.png

J0Ha5IF.png

NfztFFQ.png

RWiClM7.png

KxfosDg.png

37 minutes ago, Gunnerline said:

Given the date of July 20th, I figured it would not be a proper KSP day without at least one Apollo Recreation!  So it was that I shot three brand new kerbals on the historic mission to thread the needle and land in one of the remaining biomes not explored on the Mun, the Canyons.  And no Apollo Recreation would be complete, in my eye, without a good Saturn V, courtesy of the Bluedog Design Bureau mod:

On 7/19/2019 at 11:28 AM, NeoDarkF said:

Preparing thumbnail for special on my channel.

Yeah, another Apollo 11

You guys makes me feel… Kerbal. :D What I manage to get is more like things like this:

Edited by Lisias
The Forum had double posted me! Fixing.

We choose to go to the Moon in this month and do the other things, not because they are easy but because everyone else is doing them too.

So this beast has finally done it. Full scale, full speed, full stock.

48332778882_9b89fefc4d_h.jpgLiftoff! by cantab314, on Flickr

48332844942_064d7ade4f_h.jpgS-II nearing burnout over the Caribbean by cantab314, on Flickr

48332755021_fd3f42f7e1_h.jpgTLI by cantab314, on Flickr

48332756136_88fc1e2975_h.jpgMoon's SOI reached. by cantab314, on Flickr

48332983161_008c8b4db3_h.jpgInto the vertical descent by cantab314, on Flickr

48333120312_2e44a7da48_h.jpgKhouston, Thundery Base here. The Eagle has landed. by cantab314, on Flickr

Full album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFiZMij

I'll be saving the Moonwalk for a little later.

Edited by cantab

Made another starwars replica as i wanted to challenge myself making one of the more organic looking ships (which i had a pathetic replica of sitting from a few years back).

eoXXbGu.png

I think it came out pretty nice, especially the fully hidden broadside weapons array (those ibeams sticking out of the sides do actually fire).

ddaBhgV.png

View from the observation deck is also very nice, and i will say that the MK2 bridge is one of the best revamps squad has made since it really brought the life out of a otherwise useless part.

h5Pscam.png

And ofc the rear view, did what i could to get the hangar as close to workeable (didnt get it perfect but unlike the older replica of this i made, it can actually house small starfighters).

Not the best replica ive made, but given i managed to not use any DLC parts (except robotics DLC for a variant that can articulate the guns, not shown in pic as it looks less pretty and the side cannons stick out more).  So yeah, now to load this thing up with BDA and part it beside the venator replica i made recently and recreate that absolutely unrealistic but really epic slugging match in EP3...

Expedition Laythe

"Our home away from home"

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS I have finally completed it after three lander redesigns... But I also have

NEW POSTER Probably not as good as the last one BUT...

planet-green-poster.png?w=1024

Planet Green - by Doodle

Planet Green is for mobile devices and tablets. Unlike our mini desktop "unbeatable." I might make a song for this one.

FAVORITE MOMENTS

finishing-the-two-day-surface-exploration-on-laythe....png?w=1111&h=

expedition-laythe-has-landed.png?w=1500&h=

full-view-of-jool.png?w=1500&h=

redocked.png?w=1500&h=

taking-and-sending-pictures-of-remains.png?w=1500&h=

this-is-how-i-know-we-are-not-on-kerbin....png?w=1500&h=

expedition-laythe-mission-complete.png?w=1031&h=

Go on this page https://kerbalanders.wordpress.com/2019/07/20/expedition-laythe-brings-a-flag-to-the-mini-home-from-home/ to find more images and videos each one is breathtaking! Get it!

I am glad how this mission came out and we will be heading to Gilly and Eve sometime after Sunday! 

-Doodle

I spent 2-3 hours today trying to build a simple prop plane.....it didn't work.

I spent 2-3 hours yesterday trying to build a simple helicopter....it didn't work.

Last month, I spent 3-4 hours trying to make use of hinges and rotors for a "simple" X-Wing....it didn't work.

I believe Breaking Ground will likely be my last KSP purchase for some time.  I was very excited by both the hinges/rotors update, as well as the props update, however, as a non-expert KSP player, I have found the documentation on how to use these new features extremely poor and lacking.  I've watched one or two videos on both props and hinges, and just find the whole control of them ugly and non-intuitive.  It would be nice to have a central system, a better KAL-1000, to control hinges/rotors, and something similar for rotor/prop flying.  Instead, I seem to be left with pinning several part windows, mapping a ton of controls to action groups, and just left totally clueless.

Disappointed that there isn't a single piece of documentation for KSPedia for rotors/props, and very little on using KAL-1000 for hinges/motors/etc.  Tutorials on the forums, YouTube videos, in-game Training missions, showing you how to build the simplest craft with these features doesn't seem like too much to ask for.  Squad/TakeTwo are dropping the ball big time in this area.  Not every player has been to every planet, uses mods, builds 1000 part craft, etc.  :mad::mad:

pO8bblQ.png

6LsIdV5.png

73mx8pS.png

“That’s one small step for (simulated) man, one giant leap  for  (simulated) mankind.”

We have flags and experiments set up also

MUVDNUU.png

I've been doing a blow by blow Apollo mission on my Tumblr for several days now, if anyone is interested, it can be found here:
https://myothertardisisonthemun.tumblr.com/tagged/apollo-mission-reenactment
A full version with high res photos may find its way to these forums at some point. 

In other news, it was deemed necessary to conduct a survey of the KSC islands, to determine if they present an asset or a threat. Something I haven't done for a long time.

7iUDeST.png

My helicopter and I seem to have reached an agreement on what the expected behaviour of a helicopter should be, with a little assistance from mechjeb. Just as well, as part of the tour involved an inspection of this radio tower which would not have been possible otherwise.

hlc6gXY.png

Edited by Tw1

5 hours ago, djr5899 said:

I spent 2-3 hours today trying to build a simple prop plane.....it didn't work.

I spent 2-3 hours yesterday trying to build a simple helicopter....it didn't work.

Last month, I spent 3-4 hours trying to make use of hinges and rotors for a "simple" X-Wing....it didn't work.

I believe Breaking Ground will likely be my last KSP purchase for some time.  I was very excited by both the hinges/rotors update, as well as the props update, however, as a non-expert KSP player, I have found the documentation on how to use these new features extremely poor and lacking.  I've watched one or two videos on both props and hinges, and just find the whole control of them ugly and non-intuitive.  It would be nice to have a central system, a better KAL-1000, to control hinges/rotors, and something similar for rotor/prop flying.  Instead, I seem to be left with pinning several part windows, mapping a ton of controls to action groups, and just left totally clueless.

Disappointed that there isn't a single piece of documentation for KSPedia for rotors/props, and very little on using KAL-1000 for hinges/motors/etc.  Tutorials on the forums, YouTube videos, in-game Training missions, showing you how to build the simplest craft with these features doesn't seem like too much to ask for.  Squad/TakeTwo are dropping the ball big time in this area.  Not every player has been to every planet, uses mods, builds 1000 part craft, etc.  :mad::mad:

Completely disagree. I found myself a little confused when they first came out... then I realised how it all worked and found it completely intuitive. Sure, it isn’t easy, but then neither is shuttle building...

4 hours ago, Tw1 said:

Just as well, as part of the tour involved an inspection of this radio tower which would not have been possible otherwise.

I learn something knew every day - I don't think I've seen that tower before!

12 minutes ago, cantab said:

I learn something knew every day - I don't think I've seen that tower before!

It might be part of kerbinside. I haven't seen Airfield  Island in pure stock for a while.

@Dale Christopher in RO you need to get to 140km to be in space. The atmosphere thins out drastically past a certain point which is why you were able to circularize. You may notice that your time warp still acts like in-atmo and that your periapsis and apoapsis are slowly decaying. I'd love to know how long your craft can remain there before significant altitude drop!

I would like to first mention that docking huge craft together is so extreme!! the craft must first be in near perfect balance for maneuvers in space otherwise it will be very difficult to dock, and I have to say this one is not in perfect balance but close enough for now. When the craft meet together they must touch so slightly its almost unexplainable how slightly. Edgar Allan Poe couldn't explain how ever so slightly they need to touch! Often I've thought these couplers were are not working. The reason why the slightest touching is needed during docking these craft are due to the amount of weight that is being hit together. When you start to consider this amount of weight hitting together is helps to understand the Need for No Speed!

I will be sharing these type projects here instead of on the Craft Exchange Thread because projects like this take so long I often don't release the craft for months or even years. But if you would like to try these craft, just send me a Private Message and excuse any flaws. These are in Version 1.7.2 atm.

I am arriving with much better amounts of fuel during these refuel trips now.

uN9KEGQ.png

The reason for the awkward docking is for the viewing from the Center Cupola Module. When placing a Docking Port on these it blocks the viewing.

Qfe268d.png

Edited by Castille7

5 hours ago, MR L A said:

Completely disagree. I found myself a little confused when they first came out... then I realised how it all worked and found it completely intuitive. Sure, it isn’t easy, but then neither is shuttle building...

Glad to hear it.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help me get any further in the game.  A training mission, a guide on the relationship between tourque, rpm, authority limit, deploy/undeploy, mapping yaw/roll/pitch, etc, etc isn't really too much to ask for though.

Spent another 2 hours playing with it after my post.  3t craft with single propeller....fastest I could get it to go was 11 m/s, with a lot of unwanted side movement.

1 minute ago, djr5899 said:

Glad to hear it.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help me get any further in the game.  A training mission, a guide on the relationship between tourque, rpm, authority limit, deploy/undeploy, mapping yaw/roll/pitch, etc, etc isn't really too much to ask for though.

Spent another 2 hours playing with it after my post.  3t craft with single propeller....fastest I could get it to go was 11 m/s, with a lot of unwanted side movement.

Its not a really intuitive concept to teach is the problem.

As for things done in my kerbal today, I've been playing around with high speed rovers. Ive been trying to tune one for offroad travel without using too much cheese, which has involved alot of experiments with suspension settings and friction settings. Still haven't found what causes some wheels to lock up when landing after a small bit of airtime, so I'm trying to avoid that all together.

1 hour ago, djr5899 said:

Glad to hear it.

What I'm saying is, your tirade against TakeTwo/Squad is unwarranted. Sure, it isn't easy, but just because you don't get it - despite the wealth of videos you say you've watched, and ample documentation on this very site - doesn't mean TakeTwo/Squad is "dropping the ball". They've NEVER really "held the ball" in this regard to be honest, I've learnt pretty much everything from other users and trial and error. Same applies to the new features, which IMO, proves they are consistent at least. 

The last few days have been busy without a whole lot actually accomplished.  First off, I rescued Elon Kerman among others.  It was a triple rescue actually.  I really expected Elon Kerman to be an engineer, but he's a pilot instead.  At least I got his name right - one time I thought I was rescuing Elvis & it turned out to be Eilvis.

Elon leaving his stranded capsule while Arvin (another rescuee) places a self-destruct charge on it

BZ04NPd.png?1

Yesterday I finally downloaded the 1.7.3 update and did a few experiments.

Apparently friction pads are the strongest objects in the Kerbal universe as they are the only thing to survive this little experiment unharmed, including the runway:

Q1s1WuA.png?1

Then it was time to test out a prop plane.  Took a little work to figure out even somewhat what I was doing - the first 3 didn't leave the ground.  Even this only tops out around 80-something m/s.  And the prop blades have a tendency to hit the ground on landing.

2jGGVBx.png?1

The one accomplishment of my career yesterday was my Jooldiver arriving and after a quick flyby of Laythe, diving into Jool's atmosphere until it was crushed

Vb9TjLA.png?1

Summer Kerman, my senior pilot while Jeb & Val are away on Duna, took up an old jet design I made based on the F-89 Scorpion.  It was even fitted with numerous tiny rockets.  And apparently despite being tiny, they still pack enough punch to take down the VAB.  She had a bit of explaining to do after landing.

DWLxyGV.png?1

Finally, there were experiments with a silo-launched Minuteman-esque rocket design.  Multiple images from silo to reentry.  The warhead was an instrumented dummy so no kerbals were harmed during these tests.

Spoiler

Ready to launch.  These images are a mix of two different varients of the same basic design

bwdIYTQ.png?1

Blowing off the cover - robotic hinges might have been a better option, as the silo cover blew up the launch pad about half the time

1742J1O.png?1

Clearing the silo

esdgaRh.png?1

qItK8fK.png?1

Second stage burn

mAbAQDs.png?1

The third stage is equipped with a tac self-destruct charge set to "Detonate parent" to cut off the burn at the desired time.  Note the 3 sepratrons on the warhead bus to spin-stabilize the warhead prior to reentry.  Also note, it doesn't work well in KSP.

uBk0BWT.png?1

Reentry.  Warhead bus is visible in the background

W6WC4e4.png?1

5 hours ago, kraden said:

@Dale Christopher in RO you need to get to 140km to be in space. The atmosphere thins out drastically past a certain point which is why you were able to circularize. You may notice that your time warp still acts like in-atmo and that your periapsis and apoapsis are slowly decaying. I'd love to know how long your craft can remain there before significant altitude drop!

Thanks! Yer I’ve been experimenting with higher and higher orbits. I think I’ll use 160km for my minimum safe orbit. But I’ve been experiencing intermittent control issues which I haven’t tracked down a cause yet! I think one of the dependant mods may be causing problems with my game version T_T 

@qromodynmcdo you have intra-vessel collision enabled on the rotors for added realism peril?

As for me, did my one small step.

48340759736_327311f119_h.jpgThat's one small step for a Kerman, by cantab314, on Flickr

And the flag planting and ground experiment deploying. Learned that you don't actually need the ground science radio dish - an alternative is to have a regular relay nearby. I also passed some time taking in the Collins-eye view of the lunar farside.

Because my Columbia was in a highly-inclined orbit I cut short the stay, launching the Eagle after about 4 hours on the ground. I combined the 7.5 degree plane change with my circularisation burn, and proceeded to a routine rendezvous. An inauthentic flight profile, the real LM ascent engine was not relightable, but if I wanted ultra realism I'd play RO. I rendezvoused at night and opted to station keep until daylight.

Despite refilling from the LM's ascent stage, Columbia ran out of Ec on the way home. With a Nerv as the main engine I only had limited oxidizer storage and evidently I miscalculated my power needs. It's a good thing the Mk1-3 pod has RCS to control it through the re-entry, otherwise my trio might have been toast! As it was they pulled 17 gees, ahem.

Splashed down in Indonesia. That counts as the Pacific, right? :D

39 minutes ago, cantab said:

@qromodynmcdo you have intra-vessel collision enabled on the rotors for added realism peril?

Oh forgot to check that but checking it right now, so far it looks fine, i'll test some maneuvers.

Edit after bit of testing, blades crashed to eachothers during hard turn maneuver, helicopter literally stopped in the air, I regret nothing ))

Edited by qromodynmc