What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

(1.6.1) With most of my last expedition completed on Wednesday, I decided to focus my attention for the most part yesterday on getting an outpost set up on Bop. About the only other thing that happened yesterday was sending J. G. Backus to a rendevous with LSV House Harkonnen over Kerbin.

MINux3v.png
Glamour shot. Posting this one because I put it up on Imgur - no other reason, really...

Backus made the rendezvous with Harkonnen, at which point engineers Julbald, Beamon and Monty Kerman boarded the ship's Bigby module and awaited further instructions. It'll be a bit before I get back to Harkonnen but the ship's got a pretty good itinerary built up at this point already.

Much of the day was spent just getting LSV House Atreides over to Bop from its previous orbit over Jool. The ship conducted a series of warps to match Bop's inclination, then to bleed off speed over Jool. This second effort wasn't entirely successful, with the ship arriving at Bop moving at 258 m/s; maximum safe orbital speed there is 162 m/s, so it was necessary to use the ship's conventional engines to bleed off the remaining speed. That would've been easier had Atreides's mass been balanced; its cobbled on workshop ensures that's never the case. Eventually, though, I was able to burn Atreides into a 28.7 x 28.1 kilometer, 28.96° inclined orbit over the meatball moon. 

Once Atreides was finally in orbit, it was time to release the TBD 7dB base-seeding lander. Pilot Edsy Kerman, scientist Wehrdas Kerman and engineer Gemul Kerman took their seats aboard the lander, and after making sure she was full of monoprop for landing, the craft launched from Atreides's drydock.

nhb0hP0.png
Launch of the TBD 7dB. At night. Of course. Good thing the drydocks have their own floodlighting, I suppose.

The lander's first task was to even its orbit out with Bop's equator, which it was able to do in rapid order. After that, it was time to land, with the ship aiming for a pre-determined spot in Bop's Valley biome.

K3OzBPh.png
Another small step for a Kerbal, another crappy landing site for a base. Didn't miss the mark by much, though.

The landing occurred without incident and fulfilled the initial part of my exploration contract to land on Bop, but considering the intent was to establish a new outpost and the original landing site was on a 26° grade, I had to look for somewhere else to move the lander. That effort involved getting Edsy and Gemul out to scout around and put down flags as they came across progressively flatter areas nearby.

y7ArZnD.png
Edsy out scouting around for flat ground, not an easy task on Bop.

Ultimately, I used Kerbnet on terrain mode to help with the effort (something I should've done in the first place when I was still doing orbital surveys) and found what looked like a patch of dirt where the elevation didn't change nearby. Edsy went out to the coordinates Kerbnet indicated and discovered a pretty good-sized area with a 0.6° grade; I've built bases on higher grades than that, so Edsy plopped down a flag, flew back to the lander and proceeded to move it to the new coordinates.

qEdN3NW.png
Didn't miss that flag by too much at all. Good thing that he missed it, though; those things have some force when they explode...

With the lander finally in place, Gemul got out and began the process of putting a new outpost together, beginning with the offloading of the lander's monopropellant tanks into a Chuckwagon storage module that was among the equipment in the lander. Additional 'wagons were attached and Equipment printing began after that, and eventually enough Equipment was printed up for Gemul to set up the root Saddle and Pondarosa habitat modules, formally beginning the process of setting up the Bohai 2 outpost on Bop's surface.

x0MgLhJ.png
The addition of the first Hacienda module completed a Bop outpost contract I had, so I was happy with that. Also completed a 'Science from Bop' contract shortly after this.

I haven't made too much progress with Bohai 2 as yet. The chief problem I've got right now is that Equipment manufacture requires Ore, and the only Ore drill I've got right now is the dinky little Buffalo Drill on the back end of the lander. While it's done an admirable job so far of bringing up enough ore for me to manufacture enough Equipment to get what structures I've got at the base up and running, it's not getting up enough Ore fast enough for me to constantly manufacture Equipment. My next objective with the new base is to get two Claimjumper Haciendas up and running to improve Ore drilling/Equipment manufacturing significantly, at which point I should be able to begin emptying out the 'wagons attached to the lander and bring them over to the base. I'll also need the Ore to make more Materials Kits to manufacture more structures and fill the base out fully. Part of the current exploration contract includes returning a craft to Kerbin from the surface of Bop; the intent there is to have that return ship built at Bohai 2.

bjsHSgZ.png
Bohai 2 at the close of business yesterday.

So, my current plan is to let Bohai simmer a bit and collect some Ore while I go do some other things. I've got my next next set of contracts to worry about; right now I've only got two of them listed in my logs as "missions in progress" and they're both ones that will complete after enough time passes. I'll be sending up a mission to rescue scientist Pasted Kerman from LKO next, after which I'll be sending him, scientist Malgar Kerman, engineer Luddorf Kerman and a group of tourists back up to space station Kerbinport to begin the next long-range interplantetary mission; this initial group has business in Kerbin's SOI to attend to before the longer-range stuff happens, though. I'm also still in the process of rotating out my staff in Kerbin's SOI. Necessary Evil is three days out from Minmus at this point and I still want to get the staff heading back to Kerbin gathered up and ready to leave before NE arrives, so I'll be attending to that soon. Many of the other new contracts I've got are pretty much ones where I've just got to take the time to do them, and I don't know if completing them is going to affect my current intended itineraries throughout the system.

Today I'm probably not going to be playing the game owing to RL events, but I'll be sure to keep y'all updated to anything interesting that happens over the rest of the weekend.

Well… Things are (sort of) calm these days. So I got some time to play. Really play, no testing things. :D

Given the 50 years of Apollo 11 and (good) news on SpaceX, I decided to try an Apollo 8 mission - on the SpaceX style.

01.jpg

Launch and separation was interestingly easy by the way. Going to space is easy - it's the coming back that is hurting now! :D

Long history made short:

This is the booster after.. "splashing down" :sticktongue:

08.jpg

But hey, the spacecraft got to the Mün! :)

09.jpg

And everybody came back home. Leaving behind some superfluous hardware on the way. ;)

38.jpg

Not too much to see, but the full report is here: http://ksp.lisias.net/screenshots/2019/07/25_Apollo-Falcon-Style/

Edited by Lisias
Hit "save" too soon.

I got my Eve fleet moving today and had my Bop lander & relay arrive in orbit & land. 

Eve crew starting transfer burn after getting to orbit on a CS-03 Lightning spaceplane

4n6Ome8.png?1

And Eve-1 Lander performing its transfer to Eve, uncrewed.  It will rendezvous in Eve orbit & the lucky victim...er....brave pilot will EVA over to take to the surface. 

TzhU0qa.png?1

And Bop folding lander descending to the surface.  I like this new folding design better than my old service bay-based design (see my Vall lander a page or two back for comparison).  They both carry the same experiments, but this one packs a little more dV and is way more stable for landing in rough terrain.  I should slap some grip pads underneath, but I launched this before 1.7.3 came out. 

v8565Og.png?1

Good Evening Fellow Star Sailors, I hope your time in Kerbal has been fruitful!  I believe my time certainly has been.

Firstly, I realized at some point that I had yet to build a proper plane so far in career mode.  So, I built a small forward-swept wing design incorporating an engine nacelle design that emphasized supersonic capabilities.  This X-1 (creative, I know, please hold your applause) was capable of achieving nearly Mach 5!

ED6243162242FA0FAB44623523A0BA32EC83F4C3

So close, yet so far away, :/

0B3AC61D93839B20B144578563FAE85A3E803449

Is it supposed to be on fire?  I don't think it's supposed to be on fire...

DEF46E4EDB8E39CB444D090DD1F93FC14542DA5C

The X-1!  Now with 75% less fire than previous entries!

E9F0A67C9CF27C02CAF37897A7CEC87EEF3DA333

The haunted, blank expression of those who were asked to do so much.  Or the passive expression of a professional crew waiting for snack time.

But there was little time for simple space-place shenanigans, for you see, there was an itch that I had.  An itch that could only be scratched bly the addition of yet more space stations.  With the Munar and Minmus station complexes now in operation, the two space stations I had constructed over Kerbin had become, sadly, out of date.  So, it was time to rectify this deficiency with the construction of a newer, modern modular facility.  This facility would be hence known as Intentionally Left Blank, and began with a simple functional cargo block, the Cумрак module and the Union module:

894CC6A26F23E7B7335E5FC4CE86A378B66D3648

The crew of the Free Churro prepare to deploy the Union module to dock with the previously-orbited Cумрак module.  Orbiter brought to you by @Pak and their Cormorant Aeronology Mk3 Shuttle

D4DCE1CB297F4CA26E66DBF8F908C17E1670F532

053BDD6D353FC51453D68A74E4588E4227498AF4

614FD0807EF3E13653B61E3010AA30BBDFDF9660

This feels like the start of something very familiar...

D5D3650D85471A8DB9360D104858078DBE11FB77

Somewhat unrelated, a kerbal engineer enjoys the experience of floating in space aboard an MMU.

CC18C5262CE0AE4608B8AB06EEEA19CB42499728

The Pirate Radio deploys the Adventure airlock module to the Intentionally Left Blank

C2E3041B52A41F2DA31B4092B97CDDD824A31BFC

Analyzing the structure for mistakes and verifying structural integrity of the superstructure

126C127534D4160B791E64F634276FFC7E8BD838

Unable to effectively fit both the Fortune module and an RCS tug into a single orbiter, the Fortune laboratory module is launched autonomously into orbit.

1FBBD019B7AED01BBBEE73426DC3F8EEE82F905D

0DCCEB6357F9178B0E22D3FAFF837803ED6BDF76

Like the Fortune, the S0 truss was too large to fit upon a single orbiter payload bay.  Unlike the Fortune, the S0 truss is much less subtle...

10B7736C799F0ADD6F1E2D0B288483811EA95075

2537F7356E548F4D511BDCD09FECB43384431D31

The Free Churro crew prepares its servicing mission to remove parts from the Intentionally Left Blank to reduce part count

BF259C8190D2C48B48CB5D764D0989FFD20B288B

The Free Churro even manages to land in one piece and only a minimum number of crew teeth misplaced!

Edited by Gunnerline

Today @_@! I decided to undock the modified upper stage which (when launched on its rocket, sans payload) serves as a fuel delivery tanker my orbital staging platform "Skyhab" ^_^ Skyhab is being used to develop and test various technologies such as emergency return systems and to refine the mission architecture that will take kerbal kind to The Moon! Towards that end the tanker stages will be used to make uncrewed shots around the moon and to perform various maneuvers in lunar space to nail down deltaV requirements for future crewed missions :3

ersdf.png

Note to self... get night vision mod...

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I also finished my "Rescue Stalin from LKO" contract.  Upon recovery at KSC, I exited the game & renamed her Svetlana instead of Stalin.

Stalin preparing for reentry while her wrecked capsule & the engine stage of the recovery vehicle drift away below

Ah, good choice, Svetlana was the name of Stalin's daughter :D

Decided to give KSP another spin after a moderate hiatus. Installed 1.7.3.
Discovered joystick still not recognised, tried building a little plane anyway. Found landing gear still utterly borked, quit in disgust.
Came to forum to see if any of this is in the changelogs or announced for upcoming releases. Was thoroughly disappointed. DLC blah blah DLC.

Spent next 2 hours getting the evil monstrosity that is mono + monodevelop compiled and installed in order to assist in tech support question..
Fun and productive evening had by all I'm sure. :huh:

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Discovered joystick still not recognised, tried building a little plane anyway. 

Yeah, that Joystick stunt are still lingering. I though that by having help from Private Division, someone technically skilled on the matter would had stepped in on it by now.

One probably explanation is, taking Steam Surveys as reference, 98% of gamers as on Windows. However, this is not applicable to a single game! KSP has support for MacOS and Linux, while most games don't. But without the specific figures for KSP, I can only guess.

We can be facing a survivorship bias here. They can be looking to people currently satisfied to KSP, and overlooking people that are don't but could be - and then spending some more money on it.

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Found landing gear still utterly borked, quit in disgust.

<CUT by me>

Spent next 2 hours getting the evil monstrosity that is mono + monodevelop compiled and installed in order to assist in tech support question..

Since you are in so good mood. :P Would you try the Beta Release of TweakScale 2.5? I'm trying figures to scale correctly the Wheels and Landing Struts, and would appreciate ay advice. :)

— — — 

Oh! About me? I'm trying to fix something on Ubiozur Welding Tool. Yeah. Mono and MonoDevelop. On a Mac. :D Yeah, I feel you bro. :)

Edited by Lisias
adding link

On 7/22/2019 at 9:43 PM, FahmiRBLXian said:

Made a shuttle using @NESD's Mk1 Open Cockpit and so far so good.

Not to forget my shuttle collection put inside Kerbinside Remastered's Airship Hangar. It reminds me on the Buran hangar / VAB in Baikonur back during its golden age.

Pictures incoming, that if I had time to post them. (Was back in the hostel after yesterday's 'extended' break due to diarrhea. Made and tested the open-cockpit shuttle in today's morning)

Not to forget my new planes; a fighter-ground attack plane and a bomber.

The fighter became one of my best planes as it has a very short takeoff and landing roll.

9GK1JTK.png

35n1mUo.png

wgi7WF9.png

v4eXFcD.png

No, I took off from inside the hangar Kerbinside remastered provided for me to place. And not flying through it.

7I1QS0t.png

And this is what I got for trying that. Engine #3 has been shut down after a long run with full afterburner and throttle open.

v4jto3A.png

Landing on the VAB Helipad.

AzVcYZO.png

I'm on it! Flying manually, since autopilot & autoland will obviously never work for VAB helipad landings.

More in here :

Spoiler

8RAIb1B.png

t7tbIjL.png

The bomber, on the other hand, isn't good at pitching at speeds too high and too low, adding to challenges while landing. But still inherents the STOL performance of the fighter.

Pictured are shots for successful tests.

WO54xKT.png

0aSxcCV.png

This is my first bomber that I dropped a bomb from during its first flight.

More in here.

Here's the shuttle.

kehrZ3g.pngOkK5fOV.png

That's my first successful jetpack EVA on orbit! I never did one properly, which resulted in Jebediah's death in my previous save while testing my previous shuttle.

More here.

EDIT :

My latest session is just about testing my spacecraft replicas for my next mission of putting up a spiced up Skylab into orbit around Kerbin.

Station without life support section :

ILnSIj9.png

vu6bNxL.png

With life support modules installed.

Apollo CSM replica :

yvJwIQW.png

More on my Imgur album.

Soyuz spacecraft :

wVjeyHb.png

During re-entry test.

gvF9kmX.png

gE4Wha2.png

Don't worry, Jeb, Bill & Bob made it in one piece. It's not that for the sacrificial heatshield.

The rest of the test is in here.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

33 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I though that by having help from Private Division, someone technically skilled on the matter would had stepped in on it by now.

I really don't see how fixing this can be so difficult, and I doubt it's a lack of skill. Frankly I now think that it's simply a case of nobody giving a rats ass.

taking Steam Surveys as reference, 98% of gamers as on Windows.

IME Linux gamers in particular are less likely to be counted there than their Windoze counterparts, largely due to a preference for DRM-free spyware-free platforms.

We can be facing a survivorship bias here.

Perhaps. Personally I expect it's simply that DLC and shiny graphics draws new customers in and thus makes more money than fixing regressions.

Would you try the Beta Release of TweakScale 2.5? I'm trying figures to scale correctly the Wheels and Landing Struts, and would appreciate ay advice.

I haven't used TweakScale since 2014, so I'm probably not one to ask TBH. "Is this obviously broken" I can do, but I have very little idea how the thing is supposed to work.
Also, that one sweet framerate you have there. :P

Mono and MonoDevelop. On a Mac.

Do try it on Gentoo, with the out-of tree unstable build overlays and the recent change to system library paths, it's a barrel of monkeys.
There are 99 open issues against the dotnet ebuild overlay, and the lib path one has been in circular-argument mode for a year because nobody can decide if mono's non-native .dlls are strictly architecture dependent or not, and where they should go according to the FHS.
The "make it work" fix is actually a one-liner. :rolleyes:

Edited by steve_v

Expedition Gilly is cancelled: Two seperate missions to Eve

Current new launch schedule:

Expedition Gilly - In progress

Expedition Purple - Next

Expedition Moho - Last

Expedition Gilly

"Trip and you're dead"

NOTICE THE ORIGINAL EXPEDITION GILLY WAS BOTH TO EVE AND GILLY BUT THIS WAS CHANGED AND NOW A FUTURE MISSION CALLED "EXPEDITION PURPLE" WILL NOW TAKE PLACE!!!

So ya, I couldn't find a way to do both places in one mission so I changed it. This mission was actually completed a few hours ago and was posted on my website but I was out of my internet and the internet were I was blocked this website so yea mixture to check out my website a time or two also all the media is there too.

!! POSTER, one reason: Gilly has really barely any gravity, was on accident !!

https://kerbalanders.wordpress.com/2019/07/27/expedition-gilly-is-now-only-for-gilly-and-expedition-purple-is-for-eve/

far-up-on-gilly-poster.png?w=1024&h=

Favorite moments

unnamed-file.png?w=1027&h=we-are-still-foatin.png?w=1500&h=

thats-one-small-step-one-giant-leap-on-an-asteroid-1.png?w=1500&h=

there-home-and-the-pretty-small-mission-is-complete.png?w=1250&h=

expedition-gilly-has-finished-its-mission-1.png?w=1500&h=

expedition-gilly-has-landed-speech...-unfortunately-we-cant-deploy-gear-yet.png?w=1250&h=

P.S this launch was special thanks to the rainbow cloud

On 7/25/2019 at 3:43 AM, Gunnerline said:

Additionally, the munar base, Do Not Leave Blank was, I thought in dire need of additional leg room.  When you are stranded enduring tolerating  adventuring munar-side, it's important to make sure you have as many creature comforts as budgets (and pilot skill, >.>) can allow.  To that end, the munar base was extended with a habitation module specifically to provide better living accommodations to our brave munar explorers:

0AB537266FA841883DBB649DBD2367DDEC85843A (1920Ã1080)

What are the legs on the center craft?

Named PF-2, it is mostly a mix between american and russian designs.
First plane i've made in a good looong break from KSP, so it could be better. it's also 100% stock except for the BDA stuff

QeT0MYk.png

The aircraft project is mostly a test of the practicality of Infernal Robotics in my style of building, and a test of different aerodynamic concepts.

LnHP6fb.png

It's got a (kinda) hidden missile bay. It can fit two AIM120s or two AIM9s.

KIDcZDu.png

Today I docked a remote control tanker to my prototype lunar exploration craft in preparation for the my first crewed mission to lunar space @_@!

The tanker will be pushed by the explorer craft, providing an extended fuel capacity for the mission. When the tanker's deltaV is expended it will be responsibly disposed of by means of impacting the lunar surface XD 

Upon arrival in LLO crew will then perform some manoeuvres before hopefully returning home. (No landing yet! but sooooon >:]) 

ersgef.png

Edited by Guest

A fine evening to all you space walkers and code talkers!  Today's set of missions were once again focused on maintenance and construction, with an emphasis on further development of the Intentionally Left Blank and the Do Not Leave Blank facilities.

As part of our commitment to providing more resources towards permenant habitation of celestial bodies, the Do Not Leave Blank received a shipment of a brand new munar rover, the Vagabond:8137A781408DAD05C9FE18ECE2AEE2F2B228A102

Our engineers have also discovered the vital secret to building useful sky-cranes:  check your center of mass before adding thrusters.

34F39AFA7FD0C361256933286CF0AC40D9390067

623C278A0CEC71051D78AA6AD37452F495B8BCC3

Equipped with a scanning arm and a resource scanner, the Vagabond is ready to assist the Do Not Leave Blank in finding useful, or at least interesting, things to mine out of the regolith.

Meanwhile, construction continued on the Intentionally Left Blank as the solar panel and station support truss continued to be expanded:

B48E5D47A5A95BF55CE0FC1DF44F22B1DC0F0111

591FF689438DEB95EAA4F2651A3A636E5C1320AB

The "S4" mission completes the truss assembly with the final hexagonal end component

With the truss components now fully assembled, it was time to expand the existing modules from the Union, Adventure, Fortune, and Cумрак modules.  The Krussian space administration had prepared the next major module for the Intentionally Left Blank, the Cолнце habitation and work module:

A1CAC28DD66F292B0BD8726A222FBF1FE9316265

Is it just me, or are these components starting to look very familiar?  It's probably just me.

And last, but not least, during the construction of Intentionally Left Blank, I was even able to nearly land the orbiter back on the runway of the KSC:

918ED0998E339A3E59ED3E980D72A3953EF0E9FB

0DFD6A422C918CF76952DCD1605118A5E0C11E9C

Testing Waffletrager to blow things up

gBnP6ky.png

It needs to anchor itself on the ground before firing, otherwise the recoil is enough to make it perform backflip as it thrown backwards

vOTFHUQ.png

Edited by ARS

Crewed shot around The Moon was a success ^_^ 

That's The Moon alright @_@

ergsdf.png

Woo crew survived!

rsefs.png

In the Rift Valley... well that's sure a poetic twist of fate. How do we get home. XD

tredrgdf.png