What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Oh yes, I get something like that sometimes. Not sure if it's Scatterer or EVE.

I like your signature, by the way.

I'm not sure but I think that truss is from SSPXr

Edited by fulgur

5 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

What's the hub/connector/truss you're using on that?  Looks good but I don't remember seeing it before.

It's from  @Angel-125's Deep Space Exploration Vessels.  The hex node is 2.5m (just hex-shaped instead of round) and has options for with & without crew tubes.  There is a 3.75m hex node as well, plus an assortment of hex trusses in both sizes with multiple lengths & options (empty, crew tube, fuel tanks)

I didn't get a lot done today, just the first crew for Kerbinport and a fuel addon.  A second addon with other supplies (mostly snacks & monoprop) is under construction but won't be ready for a few days.

Vog9Q10.png?1

rsECydz.png?1

My favorite part of the Wild Blue mod docking ports - being weldable to reduce part count.  Here, Greghat Kerman is preparing to weld the ports joining the fuel tank addon to the station

pimBJKc.png?1

(1.6.1) Almost, but not quite, completely forgot to take screenshots these last 24 hours - and the one I got was for purposes of resupplying LSV House Corrino. So just words today. Sorry, y'all.

My day yesterday began with Corrino in orbit of Pol. The warp ship had completed its business at Pol and was ready to start heading back to Kerbin, but I was below the failsafe altitude of the ship's Alcubierre Drive and the TBD 7dG base-seeding rover it had deposited in Pol orbit was still within physics range, so I had to A) get the ship's altitude above 26 kilometers and b) get the TBD out of physics range first. Having done that, Corrino warped to a 6898.1 x 6345.6 kilometer, 2.91° inclined parking orbit over Jool to await the optimal position for the warp back to Kerbin.

With that done, I next went to space station Munport, where J. G. Backus had docked yesterday. Backus had two pieces of business at Mun - to have tourist Gregfred Kerman visit the surface, and to retrieve pilot Kimfrid Kerman from orbit. I attended to the rescue mission first, with the station's Spamcan 7a lander departing for an intercept and rendezvous with Kimfrid's Wreckage. Total flight time to rendezvous was two hours and 35 minutes, during which time LSV House Atreides broke her orbit over Jool and warped to Duna, arriving at 2,929 m/s. After thirteen warp-backs, the ship settled into a 311.6 x 299.3 kilometer, 0.78° inclined orbit over the red planet. Kimfrid was successfully rescued shortly after that, with the Spamcan burning to return to Munport; total flight time to rendezvous was just over two hours. I followed this up with a burn of the Bill Clinton 7b probe attempting to haul Anzor's Scrap back to Kerbin; a rendezvous was set up there, which will take place in 27.75 hours.

House Corrino reached optimal position for warp to Kerbin and broke orbit over Jool, arriving at Kerbin at 4,119 m/s. Four warp-backs later the ship settled into a 695.6 x 622.5 kilometer, 9.34° inclined orbit; the inclination is higher than I like but at the time I had more pressing matters to attend to, and I may still even it out a bit when/if I get the opportunity). The Spamcan rendezvoused with Munport and docked safely, at which point Kimfrid boarded Backus and Gregfred boarded the 'Can. After taking on fuel, the Spamcan departed Munport and affected a successful landing in the Midlands. Strange Cargo departed House Atreides next and burned for an intercept with space station Dunaport, and the G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft that Corrino was carrying departed and burned down to a 95.6 kilometer periapsis to close out my day yesterday. Earlier this morning, Gilligan departed Atreides and got an intercept with Dunaport, and both Strange Cargo and Gillligan are on rendezvous courses with the station - they'll both arrive in just over 1.25 hours from now. The G-LOC also made some adjustments to its orbit in preparation for final de-orbit; it's currently in a 102.4 x 78.6 kilometer, 0.53° inclined orbit. Final de-orbit would've taken place had my box not gotten really laggy all of a sudden this morning, which usually happens when Win10 decides it's time to update something...

Today I hope to get my ferry ships to Dunaport and to land the G-LOC. Getting the G-LOC down will clear the current exploration contract and hopefully open up surface landing at Pol. If it does, Corrino will print up a Hellhound 7 rover and skycrane, which will do some ground recon prior to the landing of the TBD and establishment of a ground outpost on Pol. If not, I'll go where the game takes me. Either way, Corrino will be the ship I'll use for the job. When my ferries reach Dunaport, they'll have nine colonists headed to the surface to drop off there; they should be able to turn around and head straight back to Atreides, which will then be headed on to Eve from there. I also still need to get the Spamcan up from Mun; Backus will be bringing two colonists to the Deepwater Horizon outpost on Minmus next. Still got another colonist run to get going; still am waiting for the Dystopia Planitia orbital shipyard to finish up construction of Roy Hinkley so I can get that started. Take two on the construction of space station Laytheport is nearing completion at C. P. Baker on Laythe; hoping for better results this time around, and the staff at the Alexander L. Kielland base on Eve are still working on a new Zima 7 Eve Ascent Vehicle for tourist Subart Kerman to use once he arrives. It's looking like Atreides will get to Eve with Subart before they're done at this point. Plenty going on right now; lots of jumping around craft going on, but hopefully that will all settle down soon.

Since the Like feature on the forums is broken right now, I'll go ahead and give mention to the last two posts of @Cavscout74 and the last posts of @Hotel26 and @RizzoTheRat on this thread; would've given likes to y'all if I could've.

23 hours ago, fulgur said:

SSPXr

Ooo, hadn't heard o that one, some nice bits in there

23 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

It's from  @Angel-125's Deep Space Exploration Vessels. 

Ta.  I don't really like the stock connector node, that one looks a lot better.

"We came all this way to explore the Mun, and the most important thing is that we discovered Kerbin" -Bill Anders

v4tRByZ.png

Edited by RizzoTheRat

9 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

I don't really like the stock connector node, that one looks a lot better.

Yeah I don't either.  The hex to round adapter truss makes it a perfect fit to 2.5m parts (or 3.75 for the larger hub), but even without the adapter the size is right on.

I added the second addition to Kerbinport station - this one is a mix of Snacks & monoprop, with a little LFO in the adapter piece on the end.  It also carried up a second docking port because I forgot the docking port on the fuel addon. 

7ZYAFqi.png?1

Greghat Kerman on EVA to weld the new addon into place after moving the spare docking port into position on the fuel addon

fA9eZyG.png?1

The only other progress I managed was my Pioneer-Duna probe arriving in orbit (no pics of course), a trio of tourists heading to Minmus for a landing (no pics), and the first asteroid detection satellite headed out towards Kerbol orbit (and again, no pics)

Update:  I had a little more time & got a little more done.

The Duna-Vorona probe entered orbit & dropped it's Formalhaut lander

cFbhCeQ.png?1

bQ34ygS.png?1

Then my chief engineer Kelrik Kerman launched on the first operational use* of the Girroc MPV, heading for a double orbital rescue around Minmus.   Almost had to abort the whole mission in LKO - I totally forgot to add LH/LOx tanks for the Universal Storage fuel cell.  The only thing saving the mission are the two little solar panels & hibernating the probe core.  :blush:

pkfqzqO.png?1

Finally, my load of Minmus tourists splashed down near KSC and were recovered for a nice little chunk of funds.

AnOBuPH.png?1

*There have been several test launches - first was an abort test with the MPV mounted atop a cluster of SRB's (which was a lot of fun), then full vehicle flight tests to LKO without then with crew.

Then the game crashed when I tried to launch a load of 5 tourists & a pilot in a new lander to the Mun - and I was already out of time for KSP, but was pushing it just to get the lander into orbit, so I didn't have time to reload the game & see where the lander was saved at - hopefully it saved on the pad & I can just redo the whole launch.

Edited by Cavscout74

Made a few routine flights, trying out a new-generation Klaw-equipped utility / rescue shuttle.

As an aside I now have a roster of 24 kerbals... with two scientists, including Bob. Up to my armpits in pilots and engineers though. Will break down and hire a couple, expensive as it is.

Will also start planning an interplanetary mission.

This is significantly different with the extra constraints I’ve set myself - no reverts and a single SIMULATION_START save I’m allowed to use when developing new craft, no probe cores, plus having to have living space in a hitchhiker can for all crew on stations and interplanetary craft. With Sci at 40% also this makes even routine simple craft interesting to make — it’s not enough that they work, they have to be safe and reliable. I’ve had to abort a few launches and there is a certain satisfaction to doing that in a controlled manner too...

Routine recovery mission on Munar orbit. Erwin undocked from MUNST-1-K8 and carefully planned an encounter at the ascending node of the vessel to recover. Started the burn. Near the end of the burn, an explosion! He had collided with the fuel tank of MUNST-1-K8. The resulting explosion also destroyed one of the habitation modules. Chief Engineer Bill Kerman died instantly. Erwin's craft suffered minor damage. MUNST-1-K8 will require a new habitation and fuel module, with a little plaque to commemorate Bill's sacrifice.

8 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

As an aside I now have a roster of 24 kerbals... with two scientists, including Bob. Up to my armpits in pilots and engineers though. Will break down and hire a couple, expensive as it is.

That does annoy me about rescue contracts.  All my craft have a KOS processor and a probe core, so I really have very little use for pilots and usually end up with loads of the blighters. :D

Turns out i'm not as clever as I thought I was.  My docking script checks the target craft for an available docking port that matches the port type on the docking craft, and then heads for that port.

My new 6 seat Mun lander has docking ports both ends to allow some flexibility in rearranging stations.  I hadn't thought about this when I wrote the script, and it decided to use the bottom port, however I was pleasantly surprised that it reverse docked perfectly.

VDbLw6f.png

However when I sent up a new crew/tourist transport/return capsule, it decided to dock on the other port of the lander, so now I'm going to have to move the return capsule before I can undock the lander :D

XbSqBYj.png

Edited by RizzoTheRat

Mun Station "Bill Kerman" is fully operational again. 

It was in pretty bad shape after the incident that cost Bill's life -- and there was a most appropriate bug also, it was completely unresponsive to controls:

hM02aSf.png

And here it is, in its repaired, renamed, and upgraded glory -- the destroyed module has been replaced with a better, bigger one, and it has been equipped with a second, somewhat more powerful and more advanced lander. The original one is still useful for rescue missions:

YfVm2PC.png

51 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

That does annoy me about rescue contracts.  All my craft have a KOS processor and a probe core, so I really have very little use for pilots and usually end up with loads of the blighters. :D

Easy fix - as follows:
1) Install Notepad++ if you haven't got it. You can use your native text editor but it'll be a little more messy, and if your persistence file is as large as mine has grown to, it'll take forever to load.
2) Back up your persistence file, to guard against screw-ups.
3) Open the persistence file in Notepad ++.
4) Search for name of unwanted pilot. Use Ctrl-F, and pick "find all in current document".
5) A list of search results will pop up. Pick the one on the bottom - this will get you to the individual kerbal's record.
6) Change "trait = Pilot" either to "trait = Scientist" or "trait = Engineer" as desired. While there, if you wish, you can adjust the "brave", "dumb" and "badS" values if you wish.
7) Save.
8) Add lemon.
9) Drink, but carefully...

I use an older version of Pathfinder where retraining of colonist tourists to crew doesn't work (it's been fixed in the latest version); figuring this process out has helped me immeasurably.

A lander descends on Arkas, returning a panorama of the surface under the best lighting conditions at this latitude.

With such tall dunes, and sharp mountains rising from them, it was fortunate to land on a flat spot.

b36a84469b.jpg

I did several hours of ksp today! And now my eyes are SO tirhttp://uZm1Dua.pnged. So, today I started the first part of perhaps my most daring mission yet. I launched the 'H.A.D.E.S', a interplanetary ship designed to carry one kerbal to the surface of Eeloo. This is especially hard for me as I don't have much experience in docking and interplanetary travel(almost none), as I have only ever launched 2 small stations and landed only on the Mun, Minmus and Duna very recently. So first I relaunched the EOS 'Sydney', the Eeloo lander and the craft that will return my kerbals to Kerbin. I say 'relaunched' as there were a number of problems with the first launch last week. After getting it into a stable orbit of 85km, I went back to the VAB and built the 'H.A.D.E.S' Starship itself. It is basically a bunch of fuel tanks and 5 Nerv motors. I launched the 'Hades' and after a bit of fiddling about I got an encounter with the 'Sydney'. For some reason, I couldn't get the 'Sydney' to dock with the Hades, as it just kept bouncing of the cocking port. But after a while, the two ships were safely docked together. AFter setting up my manouver node, I started the 20m burn to Eeloo. And here I made another mistake, as I started the burn two late, and in doing so lost a lot of fuel. After some thought I stopped burning and started a new node. After several years journey, the 'Hades made it into Eeloo's grasp. Next week I shall try to land the 'Sydney'!

Here are some pics:

http://cPj0LvL.png

http://l3Yswe9.png

http://73td42C.png

http://PlEDV27.png

http://ME5cYao.png

http://uZm1Dua.png

10000000000 Miles away from home.

http://adMoyDr.png

yesterday i built a nuclear ramjet using the interstellar TORY engine and B9 procedural wings. Its the usual style ive built a couple dozen times before : it uses a conventional jet engine with VTOL capabilities to accelerate and lift up, and then the nuclear ramjet takes over. this gives it outright VTOL our very good STOL and landing capabilties.

Spoiler

ndYS0RH.png

xyyvFcW.png

faUobWd.png

zf1zj6k.png

It performed beautifully, being able to cruise at 30km at speeds of something like 1500 m/s....the only real limiting factor is the nose cone melting off....and even with the nose cone gone it can still easily do 1200 m/s by sheer brute force.

oQtEhn4.png