Reminds me of the Borg. Neat!

Lol, I was thinking about the Labyrinth movie. ^_^

Or the maze from The Shining.... :ph34r:

Heeeeeere's...................... Triop ! :0.0:

Long time no see, GDJ. &)

:lol:

Edited by Triop

Came back from a long hiatus.
University life needs effort  more than it seemed.

Huh, never expected to leave KSP this long and see the birth of KSP2!

1. Visited this site to check out 

-which was book 2 (I believe?) when I left.

2. Found out that 'Like' button was disabled. Went through my AdGuard settings, found nothing. Went to Privacy Badger settings. Still nothing. Then visited Kerbal Networks...bam! 

3. Found out KSP has been updated quite a lot. I guess I need to do some tutorials...wait I should buy 'Breaking Grounds' first!

4. Posting....

so I'm here, but I don't know when I'll be able to come back again :( 

(No reverts, only one quicksave and that for simulations, no probe cores, hitchhiker can required for stations and interplanetary missions, Sci 40%)

The Duna mission of the BIV Argos is going according to plan, so far. Argos launched with two launches from KSC, the first one launching the mothership with a single pilot, the second one, the two landers with the rest of the crew. After assembly in orbit and discarding the mothership's launch escape pod, she set out for Duna, arriving without mishap.

Xmp9Z3w.png

0cd6A8t.png

After arrival, her crew took one of the landers down to the Dunatian surface and installed some science experiments as well, repacking the parachutes while on the surface. Cmdr Valentina Kerman was the first kerbal on Duna.  Re-entry, landing, and return to the Argos all went without incident.

yJ4Jw7B.png

The secondary mission -- a visit to Ike's surface and installation of some experiments there -- also proceeded according to plan. The landing site was rather more highly inclined than ideal, but the low centre of gravity of the lander helped avoid any unpleasant incidents.

kmTy4KG.png

The science experiments are fully operational and transmitting highly annoying screen messages whenever a connection becomes available.

J1l3I4l.png

The crew is back on the Argos, waiting for the return window. Since no contingencies occurred, the craft has not had to spend any of its reserve fuel, which means that a safe and comfortable return is expected for the whole crew.

(No reverts, only one quicksave and that for simulations, no probe cores, hitchhiker can required for stations and interplanetary missions, Sci 40%)

Brought back the Argos -- well, its return pods anyway, with the crew. Everything went according to plan. 

Now I'm planning my next steps, which will involve setting up permanent stations. I'm designing the ISRU components needed for that. I'm thinking of doing this differently than before too -- having the ISRU in orbit with only drills on surfaces; I might also attempt asteroid mining which is something I've never done. Would I have to have a SENTINEL up around Duna if I wanted find asteroids to set up an asteroid mine there?

3 hours ago, Triop said:

I have seen better days, but I'm hanging in there, and you ?

Can't complain. Days are getting shorter, cooler,.....blah blah blah.

At least I can look forward to the end of Road Construction Season and the beginning of the Winter season. We only have two seasons. ;)

I had a few big milestones in my 20% science career, plus 2 failures.

First up, the Eeloo Voyager departed Kerbin for its long trip.  Here, it take a quick look back at Kerbin as it's leaving the SoI

4kIcNHl.png?1

Next, my Eve Can Lander arrived & was the first craft to enter Eve orbit in this career

kLL7qkY.png?1

Followed by a successful landing

y86RasT.png?1

5TVr3Mx.png?1

Safely on the surface with solar panels & experiments deployed

4yvoafj.png?1

After the Can Lander worked so well, it was time for the Eve Remote Rover to attempt it's landing.  It started off good, but I kept the transfer stage on too long - to use it's remaining fuel - and as it emptied, the CoM shifted too far back & the entire craft flipped & almost immediately started exploding parts due to overheating before I could stage & attempt to recover the rover

vY6PEwm.png?1

The remains of the rover did splashdown on Eve - I actually got credit for that milestone despite it just being debris

SPxmU4S.png?1

The I tested out a new 4-seat Mun lander.  It's slightly cheaper & faster to build than my 6-seat Heavy Lander with somewhat less dV.  The test flight went well, with 2 scientists getting their Mun landing experience and a pair of tourists to fund the trip.

JebZI87.png?1

Finally, it was time to attempt a medium-tech spaceplane.  Vall got the honors as Jeb was hauling a load of tourists to Minmus.  Initially, everything was going well.  Above about 10km, however, the plane kept developing a strong roll to the left regardless of airspeed, which would be followed by a stall & spin.   The first time it happened passing mach 1 & I thought it was just my flying, but the second one occurred at between 700-800 m/s despite being very careful on the controls.  Both of those were successfully recovered, but on the third try to make orbit, Vall was unable to recover & had to bail out.  She splashed into the ocean just a few dozen meters from the remains of the spaceplane. 

51lxxIm.png?1

w7LjptT.png?1

gxo7cxr.png?1

In theory, she didn't need to bail out, but what are the chances the cockpit would have survived if she'd stayed on board?

KRtVtRm.png?1

I will say, @Shadowmage's mod makes the game look a lot better!
7gdXYYq.png

Now... I do have a question... Not sure to what extent guideline 2.2a gets in the way of discussing it (you know it's good when you have to start like that), but I am also making metallic maps to better control what sections of a mesh are reflective and what sections are not.

Spoiler

What I'm currently doing to make these is I copy the original texture, modify it slightly and then point to it as the metallic map, and I'm pretty sure - though not absolutely certain - that's either in a legal gray area or utterly illegal (Legally speaking I assume both the EULA and Squad wouldn't appreciate my use of their original game content to make derivative work/textures). I'm only a few models in, so it's not like I'd lose a lot from redoing them, but I don't know how to otherwise get the maps right, especially the alpha channel, which controls the smoothness of the mesh.

I am more sure that VenStockRevamp is fine, as any form of derivative work is allowed by that license, but Squad, having their own licensing under a bigger company, is a different story.

Well, I've been away for a year or so.  I'm not sure I have a good explanation; one day i just.  Quit.  Playing.

And then, a few weeks ago, I started again, picking up my 1.3.1 RO/RP-1 game and returning to the sounding rocket era to get my feet wet again, as it were.

Today, i spent the whole day fighting with getting 1.6.1 RO/RP-1 installed.  I'd gotten the non-CKAN mods installed and started the game, and it'd close with no message and drop me back to the desktop.  I finally deleted the whole thing and started over, launching more frequently to check progress, and paying closer attention to the installation instructions.  Install all the CKAN mods first, then the ones CKAN doesn't handle.  Got to Principia, and found it was throwing an error (but not crashing to desktop); turns out current Principia Fibonacci for 1.7.3 (also correct for 1.6.1) requires a library version that's not available in the version of Ubuntu I run.

So, now, I have a choice.  I can try to play without the mod that actually makes KSP a simulation (as opposed to a game that wants to be a simulation), or I can spend a couple days I can't really spare installing the next Long Term Support version of Ubuntu and reinstalling all my after-install software.  There's not really an "upgrade" since the upgrader wants to start by deleting all my "third party" installed packages -- which is all games and a few useful tools -- and then there's no guarantee the upgrade will be successful; I'll spend an hour or two waiting and then might still have to start from scratch with a clean install.

Principia clearly isn't required to play KSP, else n-body gravity would have been built into the game in the first place (apparently, with well-optimized code and a willingness to ignore bodies smaller than a small moon, there's not even a significant performance penalty versus patched conics and bodies on rails).  On the other hand, things like LaGrange halo orbits, horseshoe orbits, and sun-synchronous orbits just don't work without Principia.  I'm not sure which direction I'll go at this point. 

On the one hand, I don't want to put a lot of effort into an RP-1 career that I can't carry over past a Principia install (it might work if I don't have anything in orbit when I start, but then again it might not).  On the other hand, it'll probably be Thanksgiving (last weekend in November) before I'll have time to do a clean install and (needed, to accommodate larger OS requirements) partition rebuild on my desktop system.  And on the gripping hand, I've got a freshly installed copy of Hardland that keeps calling me (now that I've figured out how to avoid motion sickness when playing), despite having to reboot my laptop into (shudder!) Windows to play it.

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

I just remembered about a plane I built 7 months ago and had loose on a stupid mistake (as deleting the wrong KSP installment, cleaning up things). Well, i got lucky - I had a forgotten backup somewhere on the HD. :D

byzRSFl.png

So I decided to apply her on the challenge, but unfortunately the Sunday is over. 

Interestingly, I had also forgot that I already had uploaded a video about her once. :P It`s an earlier revision, but yet, nice to see.

(1.6.1) Fairly busy weekend to report to y'all. Luckily I skimped on the screenies - only have five for the entire weekend...

I began my reporting day on Friday with burns for Next Objective and Roy Hinkley over Bop to take the two ferry ships to rendezvous with space station Bopport; between the two of them, a total of twelve colonists were scheduled to be delivered to the space station. Flight time to rendezvous averaged three hours and 32 minutes. That done, I conducted a burn to take St. Simeon Salus, which had picked up a recently launched Zima 7 payload capsule in Eve orbit with tourist Subart Kerman aboard, to a rendezvous with space station Eveport. Flight time to the rendezvous was 29 minutes.

NpxktpF.png
SSS coming up on Eveport, which itself is trying to get a suntan, apparently...

St. Simeon Salus safely and securely (and alliteratively) docked at the station, at which point Subart disembarked from the Zima and embarked aboard Gilligan docked at the station. Gilligan then departed the station and burned for an intercept point with LSV House Atreides in higher Eve orbit; flight time to the intercept was nineteen minutes, at which point a burn to take the ship to rendezvous took place. Flight time to the rendezvous was eighty minutes.

While Gilligan was in flight to Atreides, I had a window of opportunity to send LSV House Corrino, which had finished printing and equipping a brand new TBD 7d base-seeding rover, from Laythe over to Vall. The ship broke orbit and did a minimal amount of warp maneuvering over Jool before heading on to Vall, arriving at 1,776 m/s. Five warp-backs and one deliberate maneuver later, the ship settled into a 264 x 250 kilometer, 39.62° orbit; this orbit put the ship over Vall's Northeast Basin, where I wanted to establish a base on the surface. The KSC staff aboard Corrino drew lots (really me picking folks at random); pilot Shepnard Kerman, scientist Derney Kerman and engineer Ludvis Kerman boarded the TBD at that point, and after Gilligan had successfully docked at House Atreides, the TBD was cut loose from Corrino.

qPhbizj.png
It was shortly after this point that I remembered that the TBD was designed for landing on Eve. That equates to "a bit too powerful for Vall"...

A burn to put the TBD at a 50 kilometer periapsis and take the rover away from House Corrino took place shortly after launch, after which Corrino busied itself with the print of a Spamcan 7c lander (which would ultimately be needed for ground excursions). Sixty minutes later that print was done (which didn't actually happen until Saturday), but in the meantime some crew shuffling took place aboard Corrino, the launch clamps from the Zima launch were cleared up and recycled at the Alexander L. Kielland outpost on Eve, some additional reconstruction work took place at the new South Base outpost near KSC, and both Next Objective and Roy Hinkley arrived at Bopport. Next Objective and Roy Hinkley stayed at Bopport just long enough to offload their passengers to the Crater Maker 7 15-passenger lander docked at the space station and take on fuel before departing to head back to LSV House Harkonnen, with average time to intercepts at ninety minutes each.

Saturday saw more construction work at South Base; by the end of the day all the components of the "tent city" portion of the base were up and running and the focus was on getting the main Castillo dome up, with all of the remaining parts printed up. After Next Objective and Roy Hinkley made some course corrections, Corrino finished her Spamcan print and transferred fuel aboard. The lot had fallen on engineer Genery Kerman to man the shipyard that would ultimately be put into Vall orbit, so she boarded the 'can and as cut loose, with the 'can burning to a 73.2 periapsis. Next Objective and Roy Hinkley conducted burns to take them to rendezvous with Harkonnen, with the average flight time at about 3.75 hours between the two. I was having some issues remembering how to produce Slag at South Base, which I needed to make the Konkrete necessary to deploy the base's main Castillo dome, so I had pilot Anzor Kerman drive a modifed Wisent 7 utility rover out to South Base and to deliver a load of Slag straight from KSC; delivery went off with no problems whatsoever, and Konkrete production began in earnest. Anzor had been slated to join the South Base staff anyway so I let him board the base and recovered the Wisent after it had made its delivery and detached from the base. I later remembered the trick was to use the Prospector on the Geology Lab (not the drilling units), so Slag production is up and running at this point. Not much else to report for Saturday, other than Roy Hinkley's arrival and docking with House Harkonnen.

Sunday was a little more active. I decided I should probably go ahead and get the colonists I'd delivered to Bopport down to the Bohai 2 base on the surface, so I went ahead and had the Crater Maker depart Bopport and set a time to make the burn for final landing; shortly afterwards, Next Objective arrived and docked with Harkonnen safely. I next checked up on the TBD over Vall and saw that it would pass close the designated landing zone in the Northeast Basin on its next orbit, so I figured the time had finally arrived to land the damn thing. Turned out I had been right to be worried about the delta-V needed for landing; on the first try, the craft ran out of fuel while still well above the ground. On the second attempt, I dumped out most of the Equipment she had been hauling, leaving just enough to deploy the main fab-lab Pathfinder Pondarosa module. The mass lost and delta-V that in turn generate turned out to be enough.

tagBc7b.png
The actual landing was, of course, at night. Figured I could let y'all see the deorbit burn though.

On the second attempt, the TBD landed approximately nine kilometers to the north-northwest of the Victor 1 rover already on the surface and at the designated base site, losing one of the landing stage's winglets on touchdown but otherwise none the worse for wear. The crew went ahead and drove the distance in the dark, at which point Ludvis began unpacking the rover and brought the Vermilion Block 380 outpost on Vall into existence. Not much progress to report on base building on Vall as yet; right now the crew only has access to the small prospecting drill on the TBD - which has been redesignated as Victor 2 - in order to mine resources and they have the rover's Micro ISRU to make more equipment. I did have them print up a pair of Mineshaft crew tubes to they could keep the base connected to the rover without having to rely on a KIS resource transfer station; those things have been historically very buggy. The goal at the moment is to produce enough Equipment to deploy the first drill unit so they'll have something a little more substantial to work with. Hoping to get back out there as the day progresses today.

Meanwhile the Crater Maker affected a safe landing at Bohai 2. Pilot Edsy Kerman went on EVA and hooked up the lander to the outpost, at which point colonists Barzon, Bartvan, Lemvin, Leabo, Elford, Tamfred, Joerigh, Eridun, Traner, Mungard, Raybles and Maufrid Kerman boarded the outpost for a twelve day stay. The base transferred fuel to the lander while the passengers were being offloaded, and once that was done Edsy unhooked the lander and went back inside. The Crater Maker launched to orbit, rendezvousing and docking with Bopport a little over 2.5 hours halter.

This morning began with a trio of quick, cheap parts tests at KSC, followed up with something I've been waiting to see for a while.

NF7Ywb8.png
It finally happened!!!

Timing's a bit bad on this one seeing as how I just got Vermilion started, but it does mean that the crew I already have landed on Pol can get to work putting their own base together now...

Rest of my time so far this morning was spent at South Base, where we finally had enough Konkrete produced to deploy the Castillo. Engineer Mathat went ahead and inflated the rest of the walkways and put the rest of the Castillo structures planned for the base into their final positions - reconstruction is essentially complete at this point and all that's needed now is enough materials to finish inflating the structures. Got the most important of those structures up and running last thing so far today.

2aFyDFF.png
I of course refer to the lift section of the Texas Giant...with it there, orbital ops are back online.

So here's where I stand right now - I've got two bases to build (Vermilion and the Pol base) and one to finish building. All three of my warp ships are done with their current tasks and ready to head back to Kerbin, though the current exploration contract requires me to return something from Vall's surface to Kerbin, so I plan to leave House Corrino there for the time being (she shouldn't need to go anywhere else until that happens anyway). At this point I've been able to move enough folks around that G. Grant docked to Corrino will be allowed to return to other duties when the craft makes it back to Kerbin. I don't know if I'll conduct the warps or not; base building is likely to be the focus of my attentions for the next few days. One of my ongoing nine-colonist contracts has just concluded - I had three of those and I don't know which one it is, though the one that was going on on Bop already makes the most sense. Only KAC alarms I've got right now are for the completion of the spaceplane docking piers for space station Laytheport and for J. G. Backus's arrival at Minmus, the first of which will take place in three hours and the second of which won't happen for another four days. Plenty going on at the moment but I don't think a lot of it will be all that interesting to share with y'all; I'll let y'all know anyways.

I started work on a large (for me) Minmus station.  The core I launched was enough to complete the contract, but I have a fuel/power segment nearing Minmus now and a science segment a few days behind.  The first crew will be launching in a few days to get everything set up & the docking ports welded together.  Another fuel/power segment will need to be sent and I'll probably send a greenhouse segment to finish it once the parts are available.

2YJuiN8.png

F5iXXEl.png

I also had my Eve Pioneer probe arrive & enter a polar orbit to perform double duty as a comm relay followed by the Eve Vorona probe & lander.   I'm not sure what happened exactly, but the can lander and remote rover arrived nearly a month before the two orbital probes.

tg0oS84.png

Once the Vorona probe was in a stable orbit, it dropped off its "Formalhaut" lander.

eyn91q9.png

UgzNnLl.png

B7SfIcs.png

I designed a new low-tech spaceplane attempt based on a KerbalX design.  Jeb failed to make orbit - only got up to about 45 km in fact - but I think I can tweak the design & my climb profile enough to actually make orbit.  At least it doesn't stall & spin in level flight like the last one.

pF39bFu.png

exgfvDY.png

Finally, I spent some time experimenting with SRB orbital launchers.  This was done in sandbox rather than career.  It worked surprisingly well except for a few catastrophic failures.  I didn't actually look at how the prices worked out compared to the normal LFO launchers, which was kinda dumb on my part since that was the reason for the experiments.   There are a bunch of screenshots, so I'm sticking them in a spoiler

Spoiler

First came tests with a dummy payload, about 6 tons, using 4 Kickbacks

mmLLyDs.png

LxlluIm.png

Then, using a 1.875m version of the Kickback (from the Restock mod), I was able to nearly put a Mk1 pod with small orbital engine into orbit - it was like 320km x 55km when the SRB burned out

15xBwXF.png

Vx0FzVR.png

Last, it was time to try a full Mk 1-3 pod with orbital engine & payload (I took my 2.5m MPV design & stuck a bunch of SRB's under it in). 

HbjvmOf.png

Kickback separation, the 4 Hammers will ignite soon to get the Ap out of the atmosphere.  Final circularization will be done by the Cheetah orbital maneuvering engine

G88lt67.png

All worked well and Jeb & company returned to a safe splashdown at sunset

2I4EURh.png

I came back after a year or so. Started little carer in New Horizons and went out to check out changes. After usual low tech struggle I build myself a reliable source of kredits and today I decided to cut costs on it.

Turned out what I needed was speed. More of it, to be precise.

BWutYoG.png

It turned out that replacing overpowered tank+Mainsail+boosters for even more overpowered Boar+droptanks resulted in cost savings, and it only required removal of redundant emergency systems from cargo :]

Spoiler

EGcwfS9.png

Cargo being a standardized 6-Kerb delivery/return to/from low orbit.

Many of you will probably notice its way too much gas for such tiny cargo, and you'd start suspect I have some nefarious scheme... of course I do!

The secret is 800 units of liquid fuel for my space not-plane, with total capacity of 1360 liquid fuel!

76sFTWZ.png

Which can easily visit Mun and Aptur with that 800 lf... which will leave it with some 3k deltaV spare upon return to its parking orbit where it will return crew back to their pods for prompt return.

wv66qZT.png

On this departure, its third, it left tanker virtually untouched as it had a chance to refuel on its crew recovery test.

There was, however, a dark twist I discovered too late.

The dredded landing on an asteroid with no flat surface to be found... and a boat not designed for any kind of landing...

imQvVin.png

A challenge! Quick visit in VAB resulted in decision to increase TwR by performing beautiful, wastefull, overly complex multi-burn capture maneuver!

ekcRZJj.png

Which didn't work as even with MechJeb at the reins burn times counted in minutes were not precise enough for something which SoI can be missed if a Kerbal farts with open window. But correction burn just increased my landing TwR so its all good.

Even with all the fuel waste suicide burn still took over two minutes at TwR slightly above 2...

2cttJoH.png

Despite gravity and altitude readings going nuts both in KER and MJ, and boat not designed for such feats...

UjBd8eK.png

"Touchdown".

Utps1Xl.png

Took way too much deltaV and way too much time as I dared not to physic warp...

bjpAh6D.png

Docking was, of course, on the dark side as dictated by finest Kerbal traditions. Boat returned with meager 1k dV, refueling took it back to 4k, and next docking will bring it back to full 5k+ so it will be like new for next course!

6q8Wn0f.png

First reentry of modified crew module went without a hitch, pods were originally designed to separate for landing but it proved capable of landing in one piece. However...

Piu0pyr.png

... it appears pods have a built in decoupler. Thankfully I kept chutes from original design so lower pod was saved from rapid lithobraking. Yay for redundancy.

Edited by PT

3 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I designed a new low-tech spaceplane attempt based on a KerbalX design.  Jeb failed to make orbit - only got up to about 45 km in fact - but I think I can tweak the design & my climb profile enough to actually make orbit.  At least it doesn't stall & spin in level flight like the last one.

pF39bFu.png

exgfvDY.png

Reveal hidden contents

First came tests with a dummy payload, about 6 tons, using 4 Kickbacks

mmLLyDs.png

LxlluIm.png

Then, using a 1.875m version of the Kickback (from the Restock mod), I was able to nearly put a Mk1 pod with small orbital engine into orbit - it was like 320km x 55km when the SRB burned out

15xBwXF.png

Vx0FzVR.png

Last, it was time to try a full Mk 1-3 pod with orbital engine & payload (I took my 2.5m MPV design & stuck a bunch of SRB's under it in). 

HbjvmOf.png

Kickback separation, the 4 Hammers will ignite soon to get the Ap out of the atmosphere.  Final circularization will be done by the Cheetah orbital maneuvering engine

G88lt67.png

All worked well and Jeb & company returned to a safe splashdown at sunset

2I4EURh.png

That ship is beautiful. :rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

Just now, Triop said:

That ship is beautiful. :rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

I wish I could claim credit, but I just reverse engineered a design I saw on KerbalX.  I've never actually built a non-NERV/non-Rapier spaceplane before, and my first attempt resulted in Val parachuting to safety, so I did some browsing on KerbalX for inspiration.  It was for an older version of KSP.  I haven't actually tried that one, I just made an attempt to recreate it.

https://kerbalx.com/Mesklin/SSTO-Panther-LT-112

44 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

I wish I could claim credit, but I just reverse engineered a design I saw on KerbalX.  I've never actually built a non-NERV/non-Rapier spaceplane before, and my first attempt resulted in Val parachuting to safety, so I did some browsing on KerbalX for inspiration.  It was for an older version of KSP.  I haven't actually tried that one, I just made an attempt to recreate it.

https://kerbalx.com/Mesklin/SSTO-Panther-LT-112

That's ok, let him know you used his work (leave a comment on KerbalX on his post).

I would like it if somebody used my design and would let me know. ^_^

8< - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Today, finished working on the "Koonigan". &)

4vX8hdU.png

Edited by Triop

I started a new career in my new 1.6.1 RO/RP-1 install.  Built a WAC Corporal-alike, took a couple screen shots had a launch ignition failure, and realized Real Antennas didn't work the way I'm used to Remote Tech working, so I scrapped the save and started over with Remote Tech instead.  Forgot to take screen shots of SR-1, but everyone who plays RP-1 has built one of these.  I was pleased that the B9 (Early) fins didn't come close to burning off, like they always used to do in 1.3.1 with this mod setup.  Even more surprising, the entire vessel made it to impact in the sea after a 96 km apoapspis.  Just install parachutes...