What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 10/26/2019 at 4:07 AM, ezaroo said:

he landing gear is auto strutted for heaviest part

That makes sense that it doesn't move - I was already thinking an autostrut issue.  What is strange though is the hinge itself moves, but everything attached to the hinge stays put.  Every other time I've used a BG hinge & had an autostrut turned on, it wouldn't allow movement of the hinge either, until I turned off the offending autostrut, and then everything moved.

4 hours ago, DoubleAACE said:

Successfully crash landed the shutle I forgot to put chutes and wheels on. Only lost a docking port and a wing

Any landing you walk away from is a good one....

KRtVtRm.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

On 10/26/2019 at 6:47 AM, Lisias said:

0001.jpg

Since you use(and code) TweakScale, why not to make main rotor using scaled FAT elevons? Unlike previous lifting surfaces new damn blades cannot autorotate(as I tested). Also you can try to make cyclic and collective. I'd like to help with it. 
yJxf9x5l.png

HjX9lF0l.png

Just now, IkranMakto said:

Since you use(and code) TweakScale, why not to make main rotor using scaled FAT elevons? Unlike previous lifting surfaces new damn blades cannot autorotate(as I tested). Also you can try to make cyclic and collective. I'd like to help with it. 

Lack of time, dude! I need to get things right and stable before trying new things, or we will never be sure if the eventual crash is due some bug inside the system, or something you did wrong while scaling. There's a lot of uncharted waters on Serenity, it's not wise to sail on them with a leaky boat!

It's the reason we test things one at a time. The blades are behaving different on KSP 1.8, by the way… But so must be everything else, the first few hours I had for playing was yesterday night and a bit of this morning - and I had to did it on KSP 1.7.3. :D 

My Duna explorers arrived at the anomaly & investigated it thoroughly (kicked it) before heading back to the outpost, with a detour to the mouth of the eastern canyon for some extra science.

Spoiler

lYyquUU.png?1

LqS0sGK.png?1

After that, it was back to aircraft testing.  First up was fine tuning my CF-06 Falcon forward swept wing single seater.  I've got it just about where I want it, and it is going to be one of my standard small jets

NsQafGA.png?1

yOd1HAL.png?1

Then it was back to the beast.  It is improving, but still needs a LOT of work. 

p3DhO0f.png?1

TVihHCe.png?1

After the crash, the main engine was still running, and it looped around & nearly hit the fuselage

WktlpTE.png?1

QGMG1wF.png?1

I'm trying to complete a contract in KSP on PC from Steam (with recent 1.8 upgrade).  I've been a 'vanilla' user (no-mods) for about 2 years.  I finally broke and installed mechjeb sometime last month, and havent had any significant issues beyond failing to use mechjeb properly and crashing. 

I just received the 1.8 upgrade but I've also never successfully captured a component with a shuttle before, so I don't know if this bug would have happened before the 1.8 upgrade or not.  I finally got the component back to kerbin, but never "completed" the contract, and now the component is gone from tracking station.

EDIT: I figured it out!  Needed to be landed at Kerbin, and then switch to the component.  Afterwards, click recover vessel.  I really thought I had tried this once before and the menu didnt appear at the top of the screen when trying to recover.  I had an autosave file, so i reloaded that and landed.  It seems to have worked so mission complete!

Edited by championofcyrodiil
completed mission

@championofcyrodiil, hello and welcome to the forum!

What you've run into isn't a bug.  When you timewarp, physics stops working, therefore your shuttle and its captured part literally stop hitting each other, which causes them to pass through each other.  And since the part was suborbital, it would have been deleted when it got too low, akin to burning up in atmo.

To get around this, you'll either just have to wait it out, or use physics warp.  This is a slower timewarp that allows physics calculations to still be done while warping.  This does have its own problems, though, so quicksave before you try.

To do this, hold alt (I believe it's alt on Windows - it's right shift on Linux) and then tap the > key.

Dusted off an old high speed interceptor, the CF-03A Phoenix and decided to have some fun.  In this case, it was an ASAT test:

Takeoff with a pair of cobbled together ASAT's - small SRB, reaction wheel, probe core with target tracking ability, nose cone & fins

Yhsebqu.png?1

Near Ap of my zoom climb - ~38 km, launching ASAT #2 (#1 already launched).  I was aiming for a comm relay, missed with both shots (honestly, I never seriously tried to hit - no RCS for terminal course corrections), but #1 did get an Ap just above the satellite's orbit.  #2 fell a little short, due to the nose being slightly below 90*.  #1's path up & down was nearly a straight line, which was a first for me

D80NRYO.png?1

Returning to KSC after a mach 3 dash - took less than a 60 seconds from when I got turned to 270* and when I chopped the throttle to slow down

txf4Zcl.png?1

Touchdown - the Ground Effect mod makes landings so much smoother in addition to the fun with WIG ships

JiFagzn.png?1

Well, lets see here..... Today was a mix of glorious.... Uhh.... Well, none of my launches were technically successes....  Ok... The Launches themselves were good.....  Lemme back up a sec. I started a sandbox session in 1.8 with a few mods (Mostly the near future set)

Anyway, the first rocket took off, and I headed for the Mun.  With Jeb at the controls, Valentina as first officer, and Bill and Bob there to keep an eye on things.  I was quite pleased with myself for getting an encounter without messing with a maneuver node. The ship had space for 6, and 10k dV so it was a little over kill... Probably.  Jeb got to the Mun, and proceeded to try to land.  He apparently wasn't paying as close attention to altitude as he lithobraked at close to 100m/s....  Good news for the crew was that Gs knocked them out before they all died.....  Yup all the orange suite's got wiped out in the first mission....*Sigh.*  SO! Secound launch of the same rocket--The design was sound, just pilot error...  Did have to use a node this time, but the Other Guys got to the Mun, and landed with a touch over 400m/s of dV left.  I wasn't certain if that was enough to get back so I cobbled together another lander to refuel the landed ship. That launch went just fine... Right up until I found out that I needed a decoupler between the fairing base and the Munar Transfer stage.  That changed the dV I thought I had (thought I had about 1500m/s or so.....) to just 150m/s..... Plus about 450m/s in the actual lander. Mucked up the landing on that and killed another poor kerbal.

Last mission I sent up was a repeat of the one that just failed... With added decoupler! Yay!  Got to the Mun.... I had never landed close to another vehicle before, so I landed within about 30km of the craft I wanted to refuel.  I had drills and a ISRU on this lander so I figured I could just fill the tanks of the refueler and then hop closer.  It probably would have worked except there wasn't any ore to be had at the location I had landed at, and the refueler lander only had 30m/s after I had landed. So.... Furnburry Kerman got out, and used her suit thrusters to fly as far as she could to the first Mun lander.  She got to about 20km before her fuel ran out.... and then walked another 3km before the person controlling her had to pack it in and get ready to get a flight way too early in the morning tomorrow in RL.

Oh yeah, I have TAC-LS installed, but fortunately the Kerbals in the first Mun Lander have over a year of supplies and plenty of electric charge.  Assuming they don't kill each other, they should be fine until I get something there to refuel or get the crew back to Kerbin......

Got some pics but it's late and I'll have to upload them when I get home tomorrow. 

(1.6.1) This past weekend wasn't quite as productive as I'd hoped but there's still enough that happened to make a decent showing of a report today. After my last entry on Friday, wherein I dumped off the nascent rover section of the TBD 7e base-seeding craft in orbit of Tylo, I needed to get LSV House Corrino (the warp mothership carrying out the construction) from Tylo to Laythe in order to support the construction of the TBD's landing stage. So I did that - Corrino broke orbit over Tylo and warped to Laythe, arriving at 2,175 m/s. After one warp-back maneuver to bleed off sufficient speed, Corrino settled into a 743.8 by 576.1 kilometer equatorial orbit. The ship's receiving-end mass driver was brought on-line and a shipment of fuel and Rocket Parts was immediate sent up from the C. P. Baker outpost on Laythe's surface via the base's mass driver.

I knew I was going to be busy with base construction operations for a while in the area and I still had some Gilly-bound tourists aboard Roy Hinkley docked to Corrino, so my first order of business on Saturday was to get another warp ship over to Laythe to pick up Hinkley so they could get on with their itineraries. To that end, LSV House Harkonnen broke orbit over Kerbin and warped to Jool, arriving at 10,155.4 m/s. Rather than have Harkonnen enter Jool's orbit, I went ahead and had her bleed off sufficient speed while still on a fly-by course to enter orbit over Laythe; after two warp-backs over Jool, the ship had slowed down sufficiently to warp to Laythe and enter a 464.5 by 427.9 kilometer, 3.73° orbit. With Harkonnen arrived, Corrino transferred fuel supplies to Roy Hinkley and also to M. A. Summers - with the departure of the Tylo crew, a shuffling of the crew aboard Corrino had occurred and enough pilots and scientists were able to board that I no longer needed M. A. Summers for extra crew berths. So, the Professor and Mary Ann (you know, the "and the rest" crap) both departed Corrino - Roy Hinkley departed for a rendezvous with House Corrino, while M. A. Summers made her way to space station Laytheport for permanent assignment. Summers arrived at Laytheport on Sunday after a two hour flight, while Roy Hinkley is still en route to Corrino after this morning - she reached an intersect point with Corrino after a 43 minute flight and burned for a rendezvous to take place just over two hours from that point. Next Objective also arrived over Mun on Saturday, burning for a rendezvous with space station Munport while conducting her orbital insertion burn; flight time to that rendezvous was 41 minutes.

Sunday was a bit more eventful. After conducting Summers's burn for rendezvous, I got a signal from the Petrobas 36 outpost on Pol that the orbital shipyard under construction there was complete and ready for launch. I headed out there and finalized the construction. Enginer Kabert Kerman boarded the craft, which was launched after fueling was complete. After establishing itself in a 27.7 by 27.6 kilometer equatorial orbit, the shipyard's reactors were brought on line, the booster was cut loose and deorbited, the drydock was inflated and Kabert moved into the Bigby Orbital Workshop, thus bringing the Non Pollinis Grano Shipyards into existence. The shipyard's successful launch brings the establishment of all necessary infrastructure hardware over Pol to a close with the exception of any kind of landing craft - which I can go ahead and begin building at any time now. The launch did result in the destruction of Petrobas's launch pad; replacement of the pad is on my short-term to-do list.

After Hinkley's burn for rendezvous with Corrino, the next thing on my to-do list was to get Next Objective to Munport.

3dbsJfT.png
This was one of those "you better make sure you make the rendezvous" situations, what with the craft heading into Mun otherwise...

NO made the rendezvous successfully and docked safely at Munport, with the eight colonists aboard NO disembarking to the station's Crater Maker 7 8-passenger lander upon arrival. Next Objective also took on fuel from the station's stores for the return journey to Kerbin. I hope to be sending NO home and sending the colonists down to the Piper Alpha outpost on the surface later today.

After receiving a final load of Rocket Parts from C. P. Baker, House Corrino finished construction of the landing stage.

kkLRSF3.png
If the landing stage in Corrino's drydock looks like a Kerbin-rated launch booster, there's a bit of a reason for that...

C. P. Baker then began the arduous task of fueling the booster, taking the time to resupply Corrino with Rocket Parts while she was still there. Baker's fuel stores weren't sufficient to fully fuel the thing in one go, so I had to wait around a bit while the base refined enough ore; M. A. Summers arrived and docked at Laytheport while this was still ongoing. I was able to finish fueling the craft before the close of business yesterday, and now all that remains is to get Corrino back to Tylo for deployment. I'm hoping that won't be all too difficult; with the mass of the booster, Corrino's currently coming in at around 500 tonnes...

So, today I'm hoping will be the big day - I hope to get Corrino back over to Tylo, get the TBD's landing stage mated with the rover and get the whole craft down to the surface at the site of the Tango 1 rover. If all goes well, I may be beginning base construction today or tomorrow. I also need to get the G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft over to Harkonnen from Corrino; should've done that yesterday while I was still shuffling things around but it didn't occur to me. I may also be sending Next Objective home and getting my colonists down to Mun, and I hope to replace the launch pad at Petrobas (that one should be simple to do as long as I take the time needed to do it). Got some RL events tonight so I'll be surprised if I can get all of that done, but I still hope to get a good chunk of it out of the way before too long. I'll be sure to keep y'all posted.

45 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

(1.6.1) This past weekend wasn't quite as productive as I'd hoped but there's still enough that happened ...

So, today I'm hoping will be the big day - I hope to get Corrino back over to Tylo, get the TBD's landing stage mated with the rover and get the whole craft down to the surface at the site of the Tango 1 rover. If all goes well, I may be beginning base construction today or tomorrow. I also need to get the G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft over to Harkonnen from Corrino; should've done that yesterday while I was still shuffling things around but it didn't occur to me. I may also be sending Next Objective home and getting my colonists down to Mun, and I hope to replace the launch pad at Petrobas (that one should be simple to do as long as I take the time needed to do it). Got some RL events tonight so I'll be surprised if I can get all of that done, but I still hope to get a good chunk of it out of the way before too long. I'll be sure to keep y'all posted.

just wanted to say I love your ship names.

It was time for my Duna crew to head back to orbit & make an Ike landing

Dawn launch

kQn7tsC.png?1

WnumFpc.png?1

After docking, they transferred to the Duna Crew Vehicle for the short trip to Ike and docking with the Ike Quad Lander.   Landing, of course, occurred at night.  I just didn't feel like waiting for dawn as I had another mission about to arrive at Dres.

MbsVf4H.png?1

ryldzu6.png?1

YpBcbW7.png?1

Soon after the Duna crew docked with the station, my Dres Remote Rover arrived & entered Dres orbit.  All was going well till I jettisoned the transfer stage & discovered that the only reaction wheels were on the transfer stage - the rover probe core doesn't have any, and I didn't add any to the sky crane because I didn't realize they were needed.  The engine gimbal was enough to land almost upright, but unfortunately it was on a steep hill and there was a slow motion roll followed by the scanning arm & main antenna bursting into dozens of pieces.  The secondary antenna is intact, but useless until the Dres relay arrives in a few days.  And obviously, there will be no roving in my immediate future with this:

e0U5lf9.png?1

I also made the discovery that the fairings on engine plates don't keep kerbals out - my Duna engineer is pictured here inspecting the station's engine & RTG's inside the fairing.  Ok, actually he's playing hide and seek with Jeb and found the best hiding place ever.

yJQK5z9.png?1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:54 AM, Hotel26 said:

Busy with Mad Science, as usual.  My original Snowflake didn't pan out.  My intention was to land heavy miners on it.  Bad idea.

So this is Snowflake Gen 2...  (The Sparrow in the center brought it down from orbit.)  Sparrow hops off, or goes back to orbit.   (8 Hitchhikers, so it is Mun HQ for my ops!)

eVrtmVh.png   Jtq317h.png

Inspired by the design above, I've been fiddling with a new base setup, which I'll initially be testing on the Mun before hopefully using on Duna.  It's a bit more compact than @Hotel26's design as I don't have anything capable of lifting stuff that big yet.

The idea would be to use my old pusher/puller tug design (docking ports top and bottom and engines spread out a bit on short wings) as a sky crane to land the core module, which still needs a bit of work to sort out the clipping going on with the docking ports.

yB8LdQI.png

Which then unfolds on 4 hinges

6uHQCgR.png

The core has basic life support, power (including fuel cells for over night) and communications, to allow it to be deployed with a crew and left alone for up to a week.  The pads then give me space for expansion modules such as Drilling/Refining, Habitation, Life Support, Power, Detachable fuel tank, etc.

Note that that's 5 modules though, and life support (USI-LS) can result in quite a few modules to recycle and grow food...

But then I realised that with a simple modification (an extra hinge on each arm), the design is pretty much infinitely expandable...

AeA1E6z.png

With the added advantage that I can adjust the joints to fit uneven ground.  

Planned mission to put a Scansat and Komsats around Moho is now on hold until I've scouted out a decent patch of ore on the Mun and got this thing up and running...including finishing my precision landing KOS script that should be able to land on a docking port.

What's the accepted wisdom on landing legs for stations these days?  Currently I've got it landing on legs, but retracting the legs to sit on the underside docking ports..

3 minutes ago, RizzoTheRat said:

What's the accepted wisdom on landing legs for stations these days?

I can't say for 1.8, but for 1.7.3 the stock legs are "iffy" at best.   The medium one in particular seems to be a deathtrap to me.  The small one is pretty bad too.  The largest seems the least unstable.  The best landing legs seem to be fuel tanks with friction pads on the bottom.

OK, I know this is not as powerful as you experienced players, with mods and other stuff, but please forgive me for being that Ive only played for about a month now and still using the demo version. I am having so much fun tho and wish to share what I did today. Finally got to 2500 m/s with the very minimal parts so far in my career mode task. It was not tuff to get to 2500, but when returning, I always blew up. More so with a straight up ascent but even arcing out to a longer distance was still an issue. I finally made it when I got rid of the mystery goo attachments. I did feel good tho to have Valentina land in the water and was able to finally claim my contract.

Made a new um rover err armored car...

ntNteox.png

After quite a long time of not making stock tanks i decided to give it a go, and with the new wheels its actually not bad at all (and allows for proper aiming up/down by adjusting springs).  Does everything a land vehicle outta, drives fast and stable, shoots while moving accurately enough to hit a barn sized building, and can even survive anything but a direct hit right down the middle with its own weapons package.  Its a little complex (due to armor plating and redundancy), but the best part about is is that i can fit these things into any standard cargo vessel or carrier i got (all of which use either a MK-3, double MK-2, or some variation of wing panels and armor plating for the bay).  Ill see how well this done after i land a few on duna to fight the aliens that are currently there, but i think it will stand a chance.

h7lADEA.png

In other news, made a truly well armored frigate for my 2nd main faction i have in my KSP games, and it turned out to be solid despite looking like a brick with stuff strapped onto the top of it.  Looks perfect for the faction fielding it given that BCorp uses more industrial and blocky looking ships then AKS's sleeker styled ones made up of almost all wings and MK-2 bays.

64SKdeP.png

Despite being split in half and loosing all its weapons (this would have been a mission kill, but its still technically mobile and controllable by the hidden kerbal inside), it remained possible to move it.  Given that it took the entire payload of a dimension class cruiser to do this to it, ill say resounding success.  No MK-2 armor, no abuse of offsets, and the only price i pay for that is pathetic armarment (2 SRM-4s is too little ammo, and the 4 side mounted SRM-4Ls are useless against anything but unarmored targets), and somewhat lousy range (which i can extend using droptanks to be manageable).

41 minutes ago, Saturn5tony said:

OK, I know this is not as powerful as you experienced players, with mods and other stuff, but please forgive me for being that Ive only played for about a month now and still using the demo version. I am having so much fun tho and wish to share what I did today. Finally got to 2500 m/s with the very minimal parts so far in my career mode task. It was not tuff to get to 2500, but when returning, I always blew up. More so with a straight up ascent but even arcing out to a longer distance was still an issue. I finally made it when I got rid of the mystery goo attachments. I did feel good tho to have Valentina land in the water and was able to finally claim my contract.

All the experienced players started there too, and it was an amazing feeling when you succeeded in those first steps.  Congrats!!!