What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

2 hours ago, Saturn5tony said:

Ive only played for about a month now and still using the demo version. I am having so much fun tho and wish to share what I did today.

Welcome to the forum!

4 hours ago, RizzoTheRat said:

a new base setup

Impressively clever, Dr Rizzo!

And forgive my mounting excitement!  Performance/stress testing the Snowflake configuration on the lunar surface:

m8npWXj.png

Ops have now brought three of the Orb refinery modules down from the KP Luna Vista with 5 more to go.  "Stay AWAY, Kraken!"

Pumping 3.11 kals/sec of sweet liquid fuel at the moment.  (Note to self:that ninth spot in the center looks suddenly enticing...)

(I think the KP marketing slogan will be something like: "keeping your moon clean -- by making a tidy profit".)

Incidentally, anyone see any resemblance between Snowflake on the ground (above) and the top deck of the KP Luna Vista in orbit (below)?

kdhM3pO.png

Hmmmmmm......  I think I need a bigger sky-crane!?

Edited by Hotel26

3 hours ago, Saturn5tony said:

OK, I know this is not as powerful as you experienced players, with mods and other stuff, but please forgive me for being that Ive only played for about a month now and still using the demo version. I am having so much fun tho and wish to share what I did today. Finally got to 2500 m/s with the very minimal parts so far in my career mode task. It was not tuff to get to 2500, but when returning, I always blew up. More so with a straight up ascent but even arcing out to a longer distance was still an issue. I finally made it when I got rid of the mystery goo attachments. I did feel good tho to have Valentina land in the water and was able to finally claim my contract.

We were all there at some point.

The first time I was trying to orbit and didn't understand how to do it well, and was failing at suborbitals.

So I make a 7-8 stage solid rocket and lauched bill into a escape velocity.   So I launched something around the sun before making orbit.  

vBBY4Xp.pngMy first Mun landing! Not super exciting for most, but I'm pretty happy with it. Apollo style with a command module in orbit. Hoping to have enough dV to biome hop at least once, but the landing took like 1500 from 38k orbit. I need to learn to be more efficient I guess. Only have 900 left, enough to make orbit but not a ton of extra. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

8 hours ago, Triop said:

Today, we went for a drive in the new Viper II.

So have you laid out the rules of DAKAR 2020? I need to plan on making my own car.

BTW is Grounded allowed?

Anyways,

Sorry, folks. No mission reports from me until around 24th November.

I got another exam. What a pain.

(1.6.1 RSS/RO/RP-1)

No new photos, everything was done in simulation, but I can now confirm that my current career will become orbital NET (to use a SpaceX term) end of 1959.  Darned rockets have a build time longer than a year, might need to buy some upgrade points with part of the contract advance.

11 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Ops have now brought three of the Orb refinery modules down from the KP Luna Vista with 5 more to go.  "Stay AWAY, Kraken!"

Pumping 3.11 kals/sec of sweet liquid fuel at the moment.  (Note to self:that ninth spot in the center looks suddenly enticing...)

Wow thanks for the welcome and that looks awesome to get all those refinery modules to the mun. Cool stuff!

What tho is a Kraken? Seen that mentioned a bit on this forum. 

1 minute ago, Saturn5tony said:

Wow thanks for the welcome and that looks awesome to get all those refinery modules to the mun. Cool stuff!

What tho is a Kraken? Seen that mentioned a bit on this forum. 

A Kraken is generally any KSP bug (usually related to floating point, and/or intersections between parts/ships/planets) which can disassemble or violently throw your ship around.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Deep_Space_Kraken

9 hours ago, Kchinger said:

My first Mun landing! Not super exciting for most, but I'm pretty happy with it. Apollo style with a command module in orbit.

No I am exited! Congratulations with landing on the mun! I so want to do that as well. With the basic Apollo stuff in "Making History" DLC, I want to do the complete Apollo style landing as well someday soon. Very cool the way you made your own way to get there. I bet you felt like Aldrin and Armstrong when you arrived and planted the flag!

27 minutes ago, DStaal said:

A Kraken is generally any KSP bug

Thanks so much. LOL, wow being new here I was wondering about that. Thanks for the link too! Funny how it talks about another one called Deep Space Cthulhu as well. haha! So much fun with this game.

(1.6.1) Not going to lie to y'all - this morning, I'ma gonna conduct another test to see if the forums are going to correct a curse word on me. I already know 'to fornicate', 'to defecate' and apparently 'person whose biological parents aren't married' are out. Cognates of these such as whiskey tango fornication and the shorthand are also out, incidentally. Specifically though, I'm going to try 'having urinated, to be very drunk (U.K. / Australia), or to be exceptionally angry (U.S. / Canada)'. Later on I will also be testing 'feminine canine' as well.

This morning, I'm angry *(got censored here). That tends to happen when the game glitches one of your bases out of existence causing a contract to fail and making your rep go from 99% down to 47%...

So yesterday began with the departure of the G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft from LSV House Corrino in high orbit over Laythe. The craft burned for an intersect with LSV House Harkonnen freshly arrived from Kerbin and reached that intercept point 26 minutes later. The craft performed a burn to take it to rendezvous to Harkonnen at that point; rendezvous was set for 92 minutes later. Shortly thereafter, Roy Hinkley arrived at Harkonnen and docked safely, having completed its own transit from House Corrino. 

With both its charges away and with the landing stage for the TBD 7e craft built, fueled and ready, Corrino broke orbit over Laythe and warped to Tylo, arriving at 2,495 m/s. After one warp-back to lose speed, the ship settled into a 638.9 by 601.6 kilometer, 3.79° inclined orbit. Upon securing orbit, the booster was released from Corrino's drydock.

nARbDta.png
Here's how you get rid of three hundred tonnes fast, kiddies...

The process of getting the booster over to the rover unit already in orbit began at that point; an alignment and burn for rendezvous took place at the ascending node. The burn would bring the two craft together after 2.5 hours and two orbits.

With time to kill, I decided to go ahead and get Next Objective, which had just delivered a load of eight colonists bound to the Piper Alpha outpost on Mun to space station Munport, back to Kerbin. NO departed Munport and burned for Kerbin after a 26 minute delay. She'll reach a 47.5 kilometer periapsis over Kerbin in just under one day's time. I next took the time to go ahead and have the crew of the Petrobas 36 outpost on Pol rebuild their launchpad, which had been destroyed during Sunday's launch of the Non Pollinis Grano Shipyards

2J9v6GG.png 
Millas has done this twice now. Flip the switch and fly away like hell...

With just a little more time to kill, I next made the fateful decision to have the Crater Maker 7 8-passenger lander docked at Munport go ahead and depart the station in preparation for landing. Before attempting said landing, the G-LOC arrived and docked at Harkonnen, an event that kinda distracted me and as a result I didn't set up the landing burn for Piper Alpha as I should've. As a result, the CM landed 3.9 kilometers west of Piper Alpha, well outside of linking or KIS piping range, with only 400 m/s of fuel remaining. Rather than revert the landing, though, I decided to go ahead and try to get the lander over to the base. That didn't go at all according to plan...

5ckxVsM.png
That's going to be a tough one to explain to the taxpayers...

...but what I failed to notice was that upon entering physics range, as sometimes happens, the base itself spontaneously combusted. No reason. Just blew up. Naturally, since the target was no longer available for me to deliver the colonists to, the game immediately called mission failure on the colonists. The money loss I could take. The rep lost I could take. But losing the ground base on Mun with fifteen kerbals? Nope...

The real poodle *(got censored here too, dammit) of it is that I didn't notice that the mission had been scrubbed until I was busy docking the TBD craft together.

Pu0Hw6K.png
TBD booster cutting loose the spare fuel stage; this was about when I noticed the mission failure messages...

NjNqR01.png
Damn shame that I'm going to have to do this all over again...

Nor did I realize why the mission had scrubbed until I came up with the plan to build a retrieval craft at Piper Alpha to at least finish getting those 8 kerbals out there. Kinda disconcerting to expect a base to be there only to discover it's not... 

That pretty much ended my day right there. I found that my latest quicksave was for the TBD docking - after the spontaneous RUD event - but this morning I did find a backup autosave file that took me to the Crater Maker's initial landing (i.e. when PA was still intact). I've gone ahead and overwritten my main save file with this backup, so hopefully this will restore the base and I can go ahead with Plan B to get the colonists picked up. The plan is to build an eight-passenger bus / tanker combo at PA, head out to the lander, pick everybody up and refuel the lander, and get everybody back to the base. As long as the base doesn't self-destruct again, I should be fine. This does mean re-doing the TBD docking (which was a bite), but I can do it grudgingly if it means I don't have sacrifice 15 kerbals and build a new Mun base. 

There is one other thing I'm mad about - the TBD landing stage is built like a Kerbin asparagus booster. I failed to notice that the central line from one of the booster sets didn't connect to the central tank, so as a result the fuel flow is imbalanced. I can at least use TAC to even things out but it's still aggravating, and another complication on what is liable to already be a stressful landing. 

God willing, I'll get colonists to PA and I'll land on Tylo today. Keep your fingers crossed for me, y'all.

Edited by capi3101
edited the editing of the censoring of my curse words...

Y57, D410 - The interplanetary exploration flagship Negi Maru has been upgraded with nuclear lightbulb engines (from Atomic Age, revived as part of SpaceTux Industries Recycled Parts). These engines have a specific impulse of 1500 seconds. Two propulsion modules provide the Negi Maru with over 15000 m/s of delta-v, allowing the vehicle to visit destinations like Moho, or the more distant outer planets (Urlum, Neidon, and Plock) in a reasonable timeframe.

3ccYm0W.png

This is the original version, constructed in Year 33. It has visited Dres, Jool, and Sarnus.

PMx3Hrq.png

Edited by Pipcard

3 hours ago, capi3101 said:

This morning, I'm angry *(got censored here). That tends to happen when the game glitches one of your bases out of existence causing a contract to fail and making your rep go from 99% down to 47%...

Sierra November Alpha Foxtrot Uniform detected, sir. Quebec Tango Whisky? Recommended immediate deploy of Sierra Alpha Victor Echo .

Lisias off.

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned auto-completes. :(

Four down and 2 more in an orbital holding pattern awaiting clearance to land:

Pdy7Wut.png

I have that gap in the sequence at the back there because Spider trip #3 exhausted the limited OX supply for Vernor control and the pilot had to "dink" it in with old-school, seat-of-the-pants flying, dead-stick more or less and, you know, take what he could get.  A bit grim all around.

I've doubled the OX for the Vernors, though, and actually -- replaced the stupid, empty Orb service bay that was only used as an attachment point for the peripheral paraphernalia -- with a modest LF/OX tank (0.5t empty compared with 0.3 for the empty service bay).

I'm not completely certain that "dink" is the preferred aeronautical term but the maneuver is to use attitudinal control to vector some lateral thrust.  I think it's going to become standard operating procedure to dink it in close, if you will, and then use the Vernors for the precision docking alignment.  Save fuel.  Happy bean-counters = happy stock-holders.

[Editor's Note: I know these images are a bit repetitive, so, in the next episode, I'll just skip forward to the conclusion.  Not to give it away, but if the Kraken isn't aroused by this same "Stonehenge" configuration on the top-deck of the KP Luna Vista in orbit (at 545 m/s), then it's not likely to care about the same, lying helpless and still on the ground, is it?  Wouldn't be reasonable to just suddenly launch a surprise attack, yeah?  Not at all the way Kraken psychology works, I'm sure...]

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

Sierra November Alpha Foxtrot Uniform detect, sir. Quebec Tango Whisky? Recommended immediate deploy of Sierra Alpha Victor Echo .

Lisias off.

That's kinda what happened - I was able to pull in a backup. Worked, thank God...

In universe, scientist Sonden Kerman sitting as her console aboard Piper Alpha had a Final Destination moment and told the lander not to take off again...I have the base back and the staff there is printing up a tour bus to go get everybody now.

But I have to keep a vigilant watch; Death's going to want his due eventually, I just know it...

...and that's how you write a pitch for the Final Destination series.

Quebec Tango Whiskey...what is the condition of survivors? Sitting in Mk-1 cabins. They'll be fine until they need to go use the restroom. Before the revert, though, they would've had to hold it for a good long while...

Edited by capi3101

I have a few big launches counting down - a mobile Mun base and a single-launch station for Laythe.  It gets boring time warping for days on end, so I did some more testing on an ASAT missile as well as reverting my Ekranoplan design back to where I started as the "improved" version had worse issues than the original. 

Test launch of the improved ASAT - longer booster, and the kill vehicle now has RCS for maneuvering.  This was a test launch from a trailer off the runway just to see how it flew.  I should probably ditch the fins in the future since it's meant to launch above 30km.

tXeVPyD.png?1

CoPO8wQ.png?1

I also launched a target satellite into a 72km orbit

Y0R78lG.png?1

Then it was time to stick it under another CF-03A Phoenix.  Due to the larger size, I mounted only a single missile to the lower side of the fuselage to ensure ground clearance.  The first attempt went poorly - being off-center, the missile had enough mass & drag to make the flight extremely difficult.  The zoom climb barely got over 25km and the missile never left the atmosphere.

LggQmnd.png?1

The trip back was fun - I got up to mach 4.75 before reaching KSC.  I think the Phoenix might be able to break mach 5 if I had a longer distance to fly, and maybe a little more altitude - it was heating up the nose pretty bad too.

fEUECYU.png?1

For the second try, I moved it to the center line, and just offset it into the pylon a little.  I also added a sepratron to ensure a clean launch - I didn't particularly want to smash the fighter to pieces at 38km.  Take off was very gentle, just nudging the jet off the ground until I had a few meters altitude, then I could really start climbing.

ZndPiNh.png?1

Breaking mach 3 even with the mass & drag of the missile

GGhWRBA.png?1

Missile away!  Of course, the actual target was well past me at this point - the first launch could have actually gotten somewhat close if it had gone correctly.  Still, the missile got an Ap above 90 km & still had a nearly full RCS tank for maneuvering.

ckS0U1E.png?1

gUfwpg4.png?1

The Phoenix reached nearly a 48km Ap on this climb, even better than the first try on Sunday.

SopPWNx.png?1

And Theodred brings it safely back to KSC.  For such a high speed interceptor, it handles remarkably well at low speed.

R1vhlrn.png?1

This whole experiment is nearly pointless of course - between having to jump back to the jet and land it before it gets destroyed by the game, the tiny chance of the missile & target actually colliding and finally the game actually detecting the collision with the high closure rate, the success chance is basically zero.  But it's been fun to mess with just for something different.

13 hours ago, FahmiRBLXian said:

So have you laid out the rules of DAKAR 2020? I need to plan on making my own car.

BTW is Grounded allowed?

I haven't set any rules yet, they only will be broken anyway... :lol:

I will use catagories like stock and modded.

Today in KSP, in addition to running some tourist missions and making a long-awaited plane change for my mission to Moho....

I've been really trying to figure out this pesky logspam that keeps running at various points in my session. Not sure if it's actually slowing down my game... but it sure is annoying and I'd like to get this resolved...

(Insert shameless promotion of my support question here)

Anyone run into this? Please kindly reply at the thread above. TIA!

[LOG 14:08:04.626] [ExperienceSystem]: Found 0 trait types
[LOG 14:08:04.631] [ExperienceSystem]: Found 31 effect types
[ERR 14:08:04.647] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'ExSurveySkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.652] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'ExSurveySkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.652] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'SurveySkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.652] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'ExConstructionSkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.653] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'ConstructionSkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.654] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'ConstructionSkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.654] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'ExConstructionSkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.655] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'SurveySkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.656] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'ExSurveySkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.656] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'ExSurveySkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.657] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'SurveySkill' as it does not exist.
[ERR 14:08:04.657] ExperienceTrait: Cannot add effect 'ExConstructionSkill' as it does not exist.
[...much more...]

Edited by scottadges

My Heavy Mobile Base 1 (HMB-1) finally launched for testing on Mun.  It is the largest launch to date in this career, with a 5m core (with 5 Mastodons) assisted by four 3.75 Mammoth-powered radial boosters asparagus staged in two pairs.

bhMcMv4.png?1

Munar transfer

aIK7hZp.png?1

Entering Mun orbit

cJJZSqQ.png?1

The nicest equatorial ore deposit was of course on the night side, so landing was a little dicey

ScvYgyz.png?1

After sunrise & finding a little more stable patch of ground

1QNda73.png?1

iR136Dj.png?1

It works good on flat-ish terrain, but in rough terrain like I landed in, the front section really sticks out too far.  I may have to look into some changes in version 2.  I think if I swapped the stock lab in front for a Planetary Base Systems lab on the top part it will work ok.  I've never actually sent a large mobile base to Duna, but always wanted to - one of the first KSP videos I watched had a really nice one. 

Final pic after landing a crew, at sunset:

TbWuZE9.png?1

screenshot16.png

Built my first station in a while, very low tech, and I have a SSTO rocket that just lifted 10 tons to orbit without staging.   Kerhab-1 is in a 120km orbit at 5degree inclination to keep it close enough but not in the way of normal operations.   Might send kerbals up to habitat it.

screenshot3.png

Also earned some $$$ by doing some tourism missions.   

Now I have to decide if I am going to do my last two planned altair missions or start moving foward to bigger things.