What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

16 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

This whole experiment is nearly pointless of course - between having to jump back to the jet and land it before it gets destroyed by the game, the tiny chance of the missile & target actually colliding and finally the game actually detecting the collision with the high closure rate, the success chance is basically zero.  But it's been fun to mess with just for something different.

Lovely plane, Cavscout-7-4!  And you had me hooked at "nearly pointless"...  :)  My favorite.

Are you able to get a read on the closest distance to target?  I should think it would be a thrill just to break some arbitrarily-set barrier or a previous record...?

Edited by Hotel26

(1.6.1) Yesterday was a good deal better than Monday.

So after the loss of the Piper Alpha outpost on Mun on Monday and the subsequent fallout to my program, the first thing I did yesterday was look to see if I had a backup persistence file from before the base's destruction. With the assistance of KML, I was able to locate one - it was an autosave that the game had taken right after the Crater Maker 7 8-passenger lander had set down on Mun. The Crater Maker was, of course, too far from the base for refueling - it was during the attempt to fly it over that the base spontaneously combusted - but at least the base was there and still operational. I went ahead and overwrote my persistence file with the backup and was suddenly back in business.

Of course, that put me with a lander out of refueling range and with eight colonists who, since the game considers them tourists, couldn't get out and walk three klicks. To rectify this situation, I modified a Wisent 7 utility rover with two Buffalo long passenger cabs, a Mineshaft crew tube, a night-vision camera and two FL-T800 fuel tanks slung to the sides. I ordered up a print of this Wisent 7b rover at Piper Alpha; they had it ready to go after just short of two hours' printing. I still haven't gone back to PA yet to finalize the print; it's ready to go. Just need to go do it.

After starting the print, the next thing I had to do was re-perform the docking between the landing stage and the rover unit of the TBD 7e in Tylo orbit. Fortunately I had learned from my experience in doing this same maneuver the first time around, and I was able to get the composite craft constructed using less monoprop than I did on the first attempt. Next, I  made an attempt to repair the disconnected fuel duct leading from one of the boosters to the core stage, with engineer Geoffrod Kerman going on EVA.

oyTl9Tt.png
Hey, every kerbal engineer needs to do an EVA while whizzing about at relativisitic speeds at least once in their career, right?

Unfortunately, it turns out that KAS doesn't do so well with repairing fuel ducts; the repair attempt failed and I had little choice but to have Geoffrod climb back aboard the rover. On the plus side, though, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong in my attempts to flatten out the terrain at the site of the Tango 1 rover on Tylo's surface and was finally able to plowshare the terrain into zero-grade goodness using Kerbal Konstructs, something that had been of concern for the Tylo base site. 

After putting a Boop-Boop 7x probe into a final 14,283.4 by 14,210.8 kilometer and 161.42° inclined orbit over Duna for contract (finally), it was time to get the TBD down to the surface of Tylo. The craft conducted a burn to take it to a 178.8 by 48.9 kilometer equatorial orbit, with a landing burn scheduled for twelve minutes later.

JLqps5P.png
Four kerbals commencing defecation in 5...4...3...2...

Now, if you've never landed on Tylo, let me tell you something - gravity delta-V losses are a thing there. I thought I'd built a craft that would have enough delta-V to land safely, but it still took five attempts to find the correct combination of de-orbit burn/suicide burn for landing, and even then the final touchdown wasn't as smooth as hoped for...

AFk5yMm.png
Most of this I was done with any way. Losing the Micro ISRU though - that stung a bit.

That said, after rolling the craft upright (gotta love the torque on them Buffalo parts), the TBD rover (newly frocked as Tango 2) detached from the sad remains of the landing stage and drove the 1,150 meters northeast to the position of Tango 1.

hBqFtNZ.png
The back end of the rover is supposed to attach to the chassis underneath of it...that's going to play murder with Dunfred's insurance rates...

Once in position, Geoffrod and engineer Madorf Kerman began unpacking an inflating the base equipment, bringing the Usumacinta outpost on the surface of Tylo into initial existence.

rbfcdDp.png
Usumacinta outpost on Tylo as of late last night.

(Those of you who've been paying attention over the years may know that I name my refineries/bases after major oilfield disasters, and up to this point they've been going downwards in terms of overall severity of the event. I'm to the point where I've got more names of oilfield disasters than I do remaining bases to build - just three left at this point, for Moho, Dres and Eeloo - so I feel comfortable skipping around a little bit to get to the ones whose names I like...).

One of the first things I had to do at Usumacinta was get a new Micro ISRU printed up at the base to replace the one that was lost in the crash. That's been taken care of and Equipment is being printed up at the base at this point using the auxiliary Rare Metals/Minerals combination. Tango 2, meanwhile, spontaneously blew three wheels during the initial construction of the base. I'm hoping it doesn't lose too many more - I need it to go over to the next biome (ten klicks off) to mine up some Exotic Minerals for me, which I'll need in order to print up a few of the base structures such as the labs. Right now the rover still drives but it's pulling to the right a bit...

Alright, so Tylo base construction is underway - that's liable to take up a lot of my time in the near future, but I do have other things that need doing. I need to get the new Wisent out on Mun to go pick up folks, I need to get the Crater Maker back up to Munport, Next Objective is almost back to Kerbin from Mun already, and I need to start the process of getting LSV House Harkonnen from its position over Laythe out to Eve; that still hasn't happened yet. I picked up a new Kerbin survey mission in the wake of the Duna satellite mission, so I can do that at any time I want. I've also got a rescue mission to attend to at Kerbin and some drilling to do at Ike, and I still need to figure out how I'm going to get some junk off of Eve's surface; I've got an inkling as to how I want to do that but it's going to be a hairy ride for the payload in any event.

Ah, who am I kidding...today I'ma gonna be base building more than anything else...

Finally I got my first Ike lander where it belongs. Due to some heavy bribery space enthuiast support it got a little bit bigger than original planned as first landing, but combining 4 contracts in a single mission was too good. With budget saved, priority was on time and therefore aerobraking into Duna required some effort to shave off 4000 m/s in single entry.

l9jumPj.png

First landing on Ike, sponsored by Maxo Construction by 2 Mio funds is full base on wheels, loaded with refined 6000 liquid fuel and room for 10 Kerbals including a viewing cupola. The front section did turn its Duna lifters to assist on soft lay down for mining. Now we need to collect 2500 ore and lift it into Duna orbit.

Had I know how bouncy pistons can get, I had opted for different way to extend wheels from service bay on ground. With assistance from the hinge at rear heat shields and cargo bay I managed to extend them just enough to stay locked once I raised all assistance back up.

Since Maxo Construction required at least 10 seats, a rather large crew could enjoy the expierence from Duna orbit and Ike landing.

URF6Jpz.png

Finally my sentinel awaits his final manoveur for orbit between Kerbin and Eve.

ZSFuFhy.png

Meanwhile 8 tourists enjoyed a luxury cabin for their 40 days visit to ...

11hjQ6z.png

Sunny View of Kerbin, a wunderful destination around Kerbol, just outside Kerbins SOI.

Any claims that fin design on Sunny View is inspired by human space program are strictly refused by the chief engineer.

Today I worked on finishing off leftover science biomes on Minmus with my Mk2 Science Lander (KSCL-002). One of the hardest to get has been 'Minmus Slopes'. Not only are they somewhat rare, but apparently can be incredibly steep (as I soon found out).

After going EVA, collecting science experiments, and then attempting to complete one last experiment, Johnger Kerman fell... and began a long, fast slide down the aforementioned steep slope.

hmRG07H.jpg

yB2lvoA.jpg

When you're alone on a distant moon, you've just slid down a mountain at ~15m/s, and ended up over 5.7km away from your lander... which is up a slope too steep to climb.

Worth it.

Edited by scottadges

3 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Today I worked on finishing off leftover science biomes on Minmus with my Mk2 Science Lander (KSCL-002). One of the hardest to get has been 'Minmus Slopes'. Not only are they somewhat rare, but apparently can be incredibly steep (as I soon found out).

After going EVA, collecting science experiments, and then attempting to complete one last experiment, Johnger Kerman fell... and began a long, fast slide down the aforementioned steep slope.

hmRG07H.jpg

yB2lvoA.jpg

When you're alone on a distant moon, you've just slid down a mountain at ~15m/s, and ended up over 5.7km away from your lander... which is up a slope too steep to climb.

Worth it.

Luckily he doesn't need to climb, he can fly there, right? 

(1.6.1) Well, there were two main things I wanted to accomplish yesterday. One out of two ain't all that bad...

I started my day out at Piper Alpha on Mun, where the Wisent 7b rover the base's personnel had printed was ready to go. I mashed the finalize button and dubbed the new rover Rogue 6 (technically all Mun craft should have the designator "Mike" but I was using "Rogue" before I switched over to that system, so I decided to keep it up). Since it was scientist Sonden Kerman who had the Final Destination moment on Tuesday that restored the base from oblivion, she volunteered to board the new rover and go get the colonists still stuck aboard the Crater Maker 7 8-passenger lander that had touched down four klicks from the base. Getting the tire settings right was a challenge but eventually the rover made it out to the lander site with one of its FL-T800s and half of its RTGs still intact.

LdjlteE.png
Hated driving this thing - much as I love the Buffalo mod, the Mountain Goat wheels need damper control. Badly. Got seasick with this thing...and that was with it parked.

So yeah, the lander was in a crater (no surprise since there's a crater every five millimeters on Mun) and the rover attempted to roll upon landing from the air (vacuum?) it caught going over the rim. Lost one of the fuel tanks to which half the RTGs were attached, but fortunately the rover still made it to the Crater Maker, Sonden linked the two craft together and the eight colonists boarded, and fuel supplies were transferred over.

eRR4gHn.png
As it turns out, the Crater Maker doesn't really carry all that much gas. Damn near got it refueled entirely on just the one tank - certainly enough to get it back to orbit.

Refueled, the Crater Maker took off and burned for a rendezvous with space station Munport. Rendezvous was set for 72 minutes after the craft burned for orbit, with the lander eventually making it back to Munport safely. Meanwhile, though, my attempts to get Rogue 6 out of the crater met with problems - relieved of the weight of fuel it was hauling, the craft wanted to flip end over end instead of drive. Broke the night-vision camera on one flip; on Mun, if you can't see, it's not safe to drive, so at this point Rogue 6 is waiting for daylight in twenty hours time...

In other news, Next Objective arrived back at Kerbin from its mission to deliver the colonists to Mun. After aerobraking an intercept was set with space station Kerbinport; flight time to intercept was nineteen minutes, at which point a burn commenced to take the craft to rendezvous. Rendezvous took place 36 minutes later, with Next Objective docking without incident at her assigned berth.

The rest of my day was, as anticipated, spent out at the new Usumacinta outpost on Tylo. To support construction of base structures, Tango 2 was outfitted with one of the base's SAFER reactors and engineer Geoffrod Kerman drove the rover over to the next biome, which was eleven kilometers from the base. Once there, the rover's drill was deployed and mining of 260 units of Exotic Minerals took place, a process that took just under two hours to accomplished. Thus loaded, Geoffrod drove the rover back to Usumacinta and the Minerals were offloaded into the base's Ironworks Foundry module, where they were promptly utilized to construct 3 Doc Science labs, a Castillo and one of the other Castillo modules (I want to say the ground station but don't quote me on that). The printing of the Docs allowed construction of the base's north-south spine to continue, and I eventually got a second Micro ISRU built to support additional Equipment manufacturing. As of this morning, all of the inflatable structures at the base have been printed, attached and deployed, with all of the Castillo modules printed up, the first Walkway out to the central Castillo Dome deployed and the Castillo attached awaiting Konkrete production. The base's launch pad has also been attached, but I still need to inflate it.

L7Wbbbm.png
Usumacina outpost on Tylo as of this morning.

Base construction has been fairly rapid. I did have the notion to use Tango 2 to get the rest of the Castillo modules into position - something that's been a pain even on worlds where the gravity was low enough to jetpack around - but when I attached the rover to the outpost the remaining wheels on the left-hand side of the rover all spontaneously combusted; without replacing some wheels the rover's usefulness is at an end. Fortunately, I can still use the nearby Tango 1 rover for much the same purpose - it just won't be quite as convenient.

So today I'm hoping to be able to get Rogue 6 back to PA; Usumacinta's construction has taken a fair amount of time and the twenty hours have almost elapsed at this point. I'm also hoping to get the structures in place at Usumacinta; at a minimum I'm hoping to get the main Castillo dome up and the rest of the walkways deployed so that principal construction will be complete. After that I still need to look at getting LSV House Harkonnen over to Eve from Laythe (still haven't done that yet), do a rescue mission over Kerbin, do some drilling at Ike and figure out the best way to get crap off of Eve's surface. With base-building largely out of the way, I'm to the point where I need to start thinking about contracts again...

1kcEemg.png   t084BD2.png

nKDJLVs.png   5ox1hL9.png

A massive super-refinery located on the surface of the Mun now pumping over 9 kallons / second.

Last phase is to bring down a Zippo super-tanker and fill it up.  (31,500 LF, 38,500 OX, 1,500 MP)  Maybe just a couple of hours??

Hmm, if so, I may have committed some form of engineering overkill...  :) 

Edited by Hotel26

On 10/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, Hotel26 said:

Lovely plane, Cavscout-7-4!  And you had me hooked at "nearly pointless"...  :)  My favorite.

Are you able to get a read on the closest distance to target?  I should think it would be a thrill just to break some arbitrarily-set barrier or a previous record...?

Thanks!  

Just going off the closest approach markers, the "successful" test had a closest approach of like 90 km.  I'm sure if the first one had gone as planned, it would've been much closer.  Just the fact that I can get an Ap above the target's orbit tells me I can theoretically get an intercept.   I wasn't on much yesterday, but I may give it another try.  At very least, I'd like to get within physics range of the target.  I may have to add a recovery mod for the attempt though.

Edited by Cavscout74

Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1
A Bob D Production 
Starring 
AstronmersVisualPack
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
Scatterer
Co-starring
Distant Object
TextureReplacer
PlanetShine
SoundtrackEditor
Special Guest Star
CFG.s by me 

With Grateful Thanks to all modders who make this possible 

Edited by Puggonaut 2

Only I got a few things done in career this morning:

My heavy mobile base found a large Mun crater finally, and scanned it for a contract

1CZTl3i.png?1

At that point, a recovery craft was sent to retrieve the crew and give a pair of fresh pilot recruits some experience as well

iKvu1MV.png?1

wHVF9j7.png?1

They all returned home to a nice picturesque landing:

57OYEk4.png?1

I also launched a crew station into LKO to be sent to Laythe in a few days.  Nothing out of the ordinary but it was a night launch & I caught a nice sunrise as I was leaving the atmosphere

5HjO13u.png?1

Finally, I threw together & tested a new patrol aircraft.  Relatively low tech except the science payload, powered by 4 Juno's in two underwing pods (B-52 style).   Although as built it has higher tech equipment, none of it is essential to the design, so it can be quickly adapted to early careers in the future.

32g0u9p.png?1

It even includes a magnetic anomaly detector in the tail to search for submerged objects (ok it's really an extendable magnetometer & it doesn't actually work in flight)

iz51PPz.png?1

I finally got a chance to start landing probes (I sent a 6-pack) on Jool's moons. Managed to land near a cryovolcano on Vall...

ojsdSiy.png

As for the Tylo lander probe, well.... It ran out of gas a before it reached the surface, but since the PB-NUK, antenna, and science gear survived, I'll call it a success

6lfGDAQ.png

Today I decided to teach pig how to fly.

nALaYJf.png

Despite pogowheels doing their worst to obliterate my craft and impossibility of rolling straight on strip I achieved... partial success.

Climbing to 20km? Check.

Accelerating to 1500m/s? Check.

Level flight at 20km to accelerate? Nope.

Water landing after failing to achieve orbital speed? Check.

(1.6.1, RSS/RO/RP-1)

Test Flight makes the early space program more realistic -- look up old video of the "fun" the American military and NACA (not yet NASA at the time) had with early launchers, and then multiply that by the number of failures the Soviets covered up (there was a very good reason they generally only announced early launches after success) -- failing to develop thrust to actually lift, turning pinwheels at low altitude, and various other stunts that had been largely forgotten due to the very high reliability of modern rockets (we were reminded of this over the past few years, with in-flight and pad failures of Falcon 9 and other launchers -- which made headlines because such failures are so rare today).

Even with "maximum flight data", however, the old alcohol-burning engines were less reliable than modern restartable kerolox designs -- and if playing an RP-1 career at a difficulty level that precludes reverts, a couple consecutive engine failures can sink a program, driving it into bankruptcy from the combination of destroyed flight hardware, potential damaged to launch facilities, and contract failures (with accompanying funds penalties).

Fortunately for my sanity, I'm currently playing on "Easy" mode.  Because by the time I got Diana Mk. 1 into orbit, I'd had at least fifteen engine failures, ranging from failures to ignite the RD-103 booster on the pad, to core ignition failure at 15 km and near Mach 2, even to a solid separation motor exploding on ignition (never seen that before, despite playing with a couple versions of Test Flight for a combined total of well over a hundred launches).

H6KDQIo.png

Diana was a huntress in ancient myth, whose bow was set in the heavens as the crescent moon.  Her name was chosen for this save's first orbital launcher because the intention of the project was to give the Earth a "new moon".

Complete launch album here.

w27QKck.png

Any resemblance to a Star Trek: TOS episode "monster" is completely unintentional.

1 hour ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Any resemblance to a Star Trek: TOS episode "monster" is completely unintentional.

I recognize it, but I do not think any of the original 3 TOS seasons had any episodes with "monster" in it as a title. 

Either way the Diana looks really cool!

Edited by Saturn5tony

1 minute ago, Saturn5tony said:

I recognize it, but I do not think any of the original 3 TOS seasons had any episodes with "monster" in it. 

Either way the Diana looks really cool!

Really?  You don't think the Doomsday Device, the Mugato, or the Gamesters of Triskellion qualified as monsters (and never mind Nomad)?  What about Charlie?  Or Landru?  Like all TV SF of the 1960s, it was pretty much "monster of the week" -- the thing that made Star Trek different was that the "monster" was often a human, and sometimes (often?) turned out to be just misunderstood, mistaken, or salvageable.

Thanks, it looks pretty much the way it has to look to fly correctly.  I haven't tested, but the fins might be optional by this time (3 degrees of thrust vector isn't much, but a rocket this long doesn't get out of line quickly).