What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

So I finally connected the solar truss structure to the space station, to allow the life support module to run 24(6)/7.

4NnqLKd.jpg

Now to reduce the lag. 

Oh and how am I going to do station keeping and moving this station to different orbits?

After yesterday's rather disastrous mission, todays' was a bit more successful.

After more station work, we repurposed the ship with no parachutes as a Munar Transfer Shuttle, refulled it, and Val and Brubro took off to finally rescure Voren from Mun orbit.  This had been a bit tricky since his orbit is retrograde, and no previous ships had had enough delta-V for the required plane-change maneuver before (they had all gone to the station first, so would have required a 180-degree flip).

A few hours later, and Brubro was finally aboard and with more than enough dV to flip the orbit and also make a brief resupply stop at our Mun Station.  We need to pick up a few completed experiments for return to Kerbin.  Time to start handing in some very long-running missions.

After everybody (except for station staff) is back it's time to plan our first Kerballed expedition to Minmus. The final low-res Scan results enabling us to pick a suitable landing site were just transmitted.

LhSZO1b.jpg

First post in here for a few months.

Working on a level 5 entry for the Eve Rocks challenge. Once those side boosters were staged, I thought "hey... this is doing great, way more fuel than required to make orbit", only to realise that I was then burning on the stage for the transfer to Eve. Not launched anything substantial for a few months, I'll blame that.

So, going to have to boost the power of that launcher.

Less pretty screenshot than norrmal, as Scatter dropped out when switching to the launch pad.

(1.6.1) Probably going to be the last post I make before the Thanksgiving holiday, so I need to make this one count. Good thing I've got interesting stuff to talk about...

Yesterday saw the continuation of my efforts to get my warp ships to their respective destinations - specifically, LSV House Harkonnen and LSV House Atreides were heading to inevitable conflict over Kerbin, while LSV House Corrino was heading out for Dres. The day began with Corrino still completing a transit to get into orbit over Jool; the ship eventually settled into a 6,825 by 6008 kilometer, 4.46° orbit. That done and thinking I wouldn't have much to talk about today, I next headed out to the TBD 7e Mun craft - redesignated as Rogue 7 - in the Munar Lowlands along the equator due north of the Piper Alpha outpost (i.e. a little ways northeast of the Twin Craters). The rover successfully separated from its landing stage and landed upright, then proceeded the 800 meters to the designated target coordinates to conduct a surface scan. I knew that the Lowlands lacked Exotic Minerals (Mun was a place where Exotic Minerals and Rare Metals never showed up in the same biome; Rare Metals is the more critical resource), but had forgotten that they also lacked Uraninite ore - which means no nuclear power, which I've learned is a completely unacceptable state of affairs. It's currently nighttime at the rover's site and I apparently forgot to equipment with a night-vision camera, so the crew will begin an eastward drive to the Midlands at daybreak. I might also visit ScanSat Mun again to get some fresh biome readings - I know a little more about how Pathfinder works now as opposed to when I first started using it...

Next up were twin warp maneuvers. I decided to put my research in trying to warp directly from one planet to another on hold for now (especially given that the data was pointing to it being an unlikely proposition unless the two worlds were close to alignment with one another) and just went with what I knew. Harkonnen was up first, breaking Joolian orbit and warping to Kerbin; she arrived at 4,306 m/s and required four warp-backs to attain a 673.9 by 625.9 kilometer, 3.59° inclined Kerbin orbit. Atreides followed suit, arriving at 4,064 m/s and attaining a 795.7 by 643.6 kilometer, 5.12° inclined Kerbin orbit after three warp-backs. Finally, it was Corrino's turn to attempt to warp to Dres. The ship minimized the relative velocity as best it could while still over Jool before heading out.

SD25BlU.png
Corrino damn near hit Tylo on her way out of Jool. Made for a nice screenie...

Even with the minimization over Jool, Corrino was still travelling far too fast - over 4000 m/s relative - for orbital entry at Dres, so it was necessary for the ship to proceed to a position 1.2 Gm over Kerbol to bleed off the remaining speed; the ship took the opportunity to deploy her solar panels and recharge her exotic matter tanks while still in close proximity. After bleeding down to 310 m/s relative, Corrino secured her exotic matter generator and solar panels and proceeded to Dres. She overshot a bit on warp entry and wound up on a suborbital trajectory, but a quick burn with her conventional drives put her into a 106.3 by 11.1 kilometer, 19.7° inclined orbit - an ugly one, to be sure, but still good enough for government work. 

8f0ordM.png
Yeah guys - you managed to not die, so now you get to go do work. Sounds like the thought that runs through my head every time I wake up in the morning...

Upon attaining orbit, Corrino immediately began work on a ScanSat, which the crew had finished just over five minutes later. The new probe was fueled and ScanSat Dres launched, burning into a polar orbit.

bUkuFPL.png
Boring screenshot...not sure why I took it, nor why I bothered to put it on Imgur and then post it here...

The satellite eventually burned into a 109 by 105.3 kilometer polar orbit in preparation for biome scans, an effort that hasn't begun just yet. Meanwhile, Val aboard G. Grant docked to Corrino went on a brief EVA.

oum73Tl.png
Ugh. Bad! Bad Screenie! No soup for you!!!

Climbing back aboard, she then transmitted a crew report; these actions finished out the current exploration contract. The next phase of exploration includes a rendezvous between two ships in Dres orbit, a crew transfer between ships and the return of a craft from orbit, so Val will probably be up to additional shenanigans in the near future. Meanwhile, Corrino began the printing of Dres's communications network - a Pink Noise 7b communications satellite carrier (the RA-15 based model) was ordered up and finished sixteen minutes later. After fueling, Drescomm Alpha launched; burning the probe to target altitude didn't occur immediately owing to the 19° inclination from which it was launched. Corrino began work on the polar satellite set and in the meantime burned to even out her orbit around 105 kilometers.

This morning I managed to find some time to play, and decided to begin with having Roy Hinkley depart from House Atreides after fueling. The craft burned to set a rendezvous with space station Kerbinport; she'll arrive there after a 24 minute flight. Gilligan then departed Harkonnen, burning for intercept with Kerbinport; she'll arrive at the intercept point in 27 minutes, at which time she'll burn for a rendezvous. My intent had been for J. G. Backus to head out ten minutes after Gilligan, but I didn't have sufficient time to conduct that maneuver; it's first up on the agenda in the next session. Meantime, Drescomm Alpha conducted burns to put it in a 166.4 by 62.2 kilometer, 0° inclined orbit, with the burn set up to circularize at apoapsis. The second Pink Noise finished up at Corrino; after fueling, Drescomm Delta launched and immediately burned to a 166.4 by 106 kilometer, 90.00° inclined orbit; its burn to circularize has also been set up. I ordered Corrino to begin printing a G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft last thing; the ship will have it done in twenty-two minutes. If I wasn't busy before, I surely am now - my first seven KAC alarms are all for events that are going to happen within the next in-game hour...

So yeah, a lot going on today. I want to get Gilligan, Backus and Hinkley all back to Kerbinport if I can. Hinkley is hauling surface-bound passengers; if I don't attend to that flight today, it's going to be soon. I want to deploy the Dres satellites and get the GLOC printed so I can finish the next step of exploration there and possibly get Corrino heading back to Kerbin today. I'd wager good money that I'll have clearance to land on Dres soon, and when that happens I need to have biome readings already taken so I know where to establish the ground base. Printing the ground base is going to be a necessity also, of course. I do still have those two old sat contracts over Dres to begin working on and I may try to get those out of the way; it's really going to depend on how many Rocket Parts Corrino still has once the GLOC is done. Also got that Mun base/drive to get going, and I've still got junk inbound from Minmus.

I may try to do a log post over the next couple of days, but assuming that doesn't happen, I hope all the rest of y'all here in the States have an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday, and I'll post again on Monday.

25 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

(1.6.1) Probably going to be the last post I make before the Thanksgiving holiday, so I need to make this one count. Good thing I've got interesting stuff to talk about...

Yesterday saw the continuation of my efforts to get my warp ships to their respective destinations - specifically, LSV House Harkonnen and LSV House Atreides were heading to inevitable conflict over Kerbin, while LSV House Corrino was heading out for Dres. The day began with Corrino still completing a transit to get into orbit over Jool; the ship eventually settled into a 6,825 by 6008 kilometer, 4.46° orbit. That done and thinking I wouldn't have much to talk about today, I next headed out to the TBD 7e Mun craft - redesignated as Rogue 7 - in the Munar Lowlands along the equator due north of the Piper Alpha outpost (i.e. a little ways northeast of the Twin Craters). The rover successfully separated from its landing stage and landed upright, then proceeded the 800 meters to the designated target coordinates to conduct a surface scan. I knew that the Lowlands lacked Exotic Minerals (Mun was a place where Exotic Minerals and Rare Metals never showed up in the same biome; Rare Metals is the more critical resource), but had forgotten that they also lacked Uraninite ore - which means no nuclear power, which I've learned is a completely unacceptable state of affairs. It's currently nighttime at the rover's site and I apparently forgot to equipment with a night-vision camera, so the crew will begin an eastward drive to the Midlands at daybreak. I might also visit ScanSat Mun again to get some fresh biome readings - I know a little more about how Pathfinder works now as opposed to when I first started using it...

Next up were twin warp maneuvers. I decided to put my research in trying to warp directly from one planet to another on hold for now (especially given that the data was pointing to it being an unlikely proposition unless the two worlds were close to alignment with one another) and just went with what I knew. Harkonnen was up first, breaking Joolian orbit and warping to Kerbin; she arrived at 4,306 m/s and required four warp-backs to attain a 673.9 by 625.9 kilometer, 3.59° inclined Kerbin orbit. Atreides followed suit, arriving at 4,064 m/s and attaining a 795.7 by 643.6 kilometer, 5.12° inclined Kerbin orbit after three warp-backs. Finally, it was Corrino's turn to attempt to warp to Dres. The ship minimized the relative velocity as best it could while still over Jool before heading out.

SD25BlU.png
Corrino damn near hit Tylo on her way out of Jool. Made for a nice screenie...

Even with the minimization over Jool, Corrino was still travelling far too fast - over 4000 m/s relative - for orbital entry at Dres, so it was necessary for the ship to proceed to a position 1.2 Gm over Kerbol to bleed off the remaining speed; the ship took the opportunity to deploy her solar panels and recharge her exotic matter tanks while still in close proximity. After bleeding down to 310 m/s relative, Corrino secured her exotic matter generator and solar panels and proceeded to Dres. She overshot a bit on warp entry and wound up on a suborbital trajectory, but a quick burn with her conventional drives put her into a 106.3 by 11.1 kilometer, 19.7° inclined orbit - an ugly one, to be sure, but still good enough for government work. 

8f0ordM.png
Yeah guys - you managed to not die, so now you get to go do work. Sounds like the thought that runs through my head every time I wake up in the morning...

Upon attaining orbit, Corrino immediately began work on a ScanSat, which the crew had finished just over five minutes later. The new probe was fueled and ScanSat Dres launched, burning into a polar orbit.

bUkuFPL.png
Boring screenshot...not sure why I took it, nor why I bothered to put it on Imgur and then post it here...

The satellite eventually burned into a 109 by 105.3 kilometer polar orbit in preparation for biome scans, an effort that hasn't begun just yet. Meanwhile, Val aboard G. Grant docked to Corrino went on a brief EVA.

oum73Tl.png
Ugh. Bad! Bad Screenie! No soup for you!!!

Climbing back aboard, she then transmitted a crew report; these actions finished out the current exploration contract. The next phase of exploration includes a rendezvous between two ships in Dres orbit, a crew transfer between ships and the return of a craft from orbit, so Val will probably be up to additional shenanigans in the near future. Meanwhile, Corrino began the printing of Dres's communications network - a Pink Noise 7b communications satellite carrier (the RA-15 based model) was ordered up and finished sixteen minutes later. After fueling, Drescomm Alpha launched; burning the probe to target altitude didn't occur immediately owing to the 19° inclination from which it was launched. Corrino began work on the polar satellite set and in the meantime burned to even out her orbit around 105 kilometers.

This morning I managed to find some time to play, and decided to begin with having Roy Hinkley depart from House Atreides after fueling. The craft burned to set a rendezvous with space station Kerbinport; she'll arrive there after a 24 minute flight. Gilligan then departed Harkonnen, burning for intercept with Kerbinport; she'll arrive at the intercept point in 27 minutes, at which time she'll burn for a rendezvous. My intent had been for J. G. Backus to head out ten minutes after Gilligan, but I didn't have sufficient time to conduct that maneuver; it's first up on the agenda in the next session. Meantime, Drescomm Alpha conducted burns to put it in a 166.4 by 62.2 kilometer, 0° inclined orbit, with the burn set up to circularize at apoapsis. The second Pink Noise finished up at Corrino; after fueling, Drescomm Delta launched and immediately burned to a 166.4 by 106 kilometer, 90.00° inclined orbit; its burn to circularize has also been set up. I ordered Corrino to begin printing a G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft last thing; the ship will have it done in twenty-two minutes. If I wasn't busy before, I surely am now - my first seven KAC alarms are all for events that are going to happen within the next in-game hour...

So yeah, a lot going on today. I want to get Gilligan, Backus and Hinkley all back to Kerbinport if I can. Hinkley is hauling surface-bound passengers; if I don't attend to that flight today, it's going to be soon. I want to deploy the Dres satellites and get the GLOC printed so I can finish the next step of exploration there and possibly get Corrino heading back to Kerbin today. I'd wager good money that I'll have clearance to land on Dres soon, and when that happens I need to have biome readings already taken so I know where to establish the ground base. Printing the ground base is going to be a necessity also, of course. I do still have those two old sat contracts over Dres to begin working on and I may try to get those out of the way; it's really going to depend on how many Rocket Parts Corrino still has once the GLOC is done. Also got that Mun base/drive to get going, and I've still got junk inbound from Minmus.

I may try to do a log post over the next couple of days, but assuming that doesn't happen, I hope all the rest of y'all here in the States have an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday, and I'll post again on Monday.

It is really interesting to see what you're doing in your save. If I may ask, could you post a view from your tracking station to see where everything is?   Thank you!

16 hours ago, paul23 said:

Oh and how am I going to do station keeping and moving this station to different orbits?

Actually, that station doesn't look to bad for that.  Put an engine after the greenhouses, disable/remove any other engines, undock any docked ships, transfer fuel to the orange tank to balance the solar wing, and you should be able to push directly through the CoM, so just take it nice and slow.

29 minutes ago, Fizwalker said:

It is really interesting to see what you're doing in your save. If I may ask, could you post a view from your tracking station to see where everything is?   Thank you!

Everything? Oof...well, okay, I'll give it a shot next opportunity I have. Might be more than one screenie involved.

i landed a scientist on minmus in a ship that's just a pod stacked on some monoprop tanks with a couple puff engines cuz i'd seen someone here mention that's a thing. unfortunately, for some inexplicable reason i decided to shoot from mun to minmus which probably used more delta V than would otherwise be necessary... she has some left but it's not enough to get her back to mun or kerbin.

Did quite a few long distant low level air ship career contracts last night. Decided to come home rather than the typical "Recover Vessel" mode and started back. No sooner than I got half way home, my small plane started really over heating and I had to crash into the water. Did a "Recover Vessel" then and got back with all my science, lol

Valentina's hands are still warm from all the excitement. :lol:

Aerohome.jpg

28 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

@capi3101 I see you took some names from Gilligan's island, but I haven't read all of every one of your reports, so might have missed this -- why isn't Gilligan named Denver, since you have Backus (Howell) and Hinkley (Professor)?  Or am I not supposed to ask that?  ;)

T. Howell III had an unfortunate incident while docking at space station Minmusport a couple of months ago (of the "solar panels exploding for no apparent reason" variety) and had to be scrapped; J. G. Backus was her replacement ship. 

Well spotted that all of the names of my Minnow 7b touring craft come from Gilligan's Island (as is the class name itself, obviously). The seven such craft in service in my fleet are Gilligan, Jonas Grumby, J. G. Backus, Eunice Howell, G. Grant, Roy Hinkley and M. A. Summers (in theme song order). You only hear the Skipper and the Professor's real names in the pilot episode, IIRC, and it was never specified whether Gilligan had any other name nor if that was a given name or surname...

Right now, Grumby is attached to Dunaport, Howell is at Eveport and Summers is at Laytheport; the others have all been mentioned lately as they've been conducting various missions.

Edited by capi3101

16 minutes ago, Triop said:

Today, I made a thingy.

Punishment box for misbehaving kerbals?

My career has another update posted, highlights include:

New single turboprop cargo plane - although a 4-seat version is easily doable also

CGudyPe.png?1

Career-first orbital rescue (followed by 4 more)

sBzR79A.png?1

And a Minmus impactor succeeded in its mission, as well as testing a newly unlocked deep space probe core by smashing it into a moon.

nc4dQIP.png?1

2 hours ago, Fizwalker said:

Holy guacamole! That is a very comprehensive triple shell of satellites......

Lol Thank you. I have 4 or more around every other planet in the solar system almost. Working on Jool and it’s moons now.