What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, Fierce Wolf said:

How did this go?

It went well. I showed short videos of acual missions, pointed out details in the flights (gravity turn to orbit, how staging improves performance, almost always launching eastwards, aerobraking, etc.), then used KSP to demonstrate the concepts.

I didn't run a live KSP session. I did the work in advance and recorded it.

1 hour ago, eddiew said:

There is nothing concerning about this vessel.

Nothing from that era was ever of much concern, IIRC. 

bnrIUER.png
I mean, who needs cargo bays when you don't have compression heating or decent aerodynamics implemented, anyway? Ah 2014...twas an interesting time. This is a probe carrier designed for asteroid intercepts, incidentally...

If I had more time I'd find and show y'all the monstrosity I built once to put launch (and recover) a Mun lander. Mun and back for the cost of the fuel - I did that once upon a time.

But I digress. Ahem.

(1.6.1) So I took my birthday off from the game, hence the lack of report yesterday. Made up for it, methinks. 

The day started with the India 2 rover on Ike, where on Monday I had started one of those temperature survey missions with an indeterminate number of waypoints (without peeking in the persistence file anyway) but hadn't quite finished it up. I proceeded 2.3 kilometers to the fourth waypoint to discover that it was the final waypoint of the mission, and with a little patience and some dissembling as to when I went on my afternoon break I might've finished it up then. Oh well. Next up was the arrival of the G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft at LSV House Harkonnen over Dres; the craft had been hauled out to Dres via LSV House Corrino also in Dres orbit (though going the other way) and was scheduled to travel back to Kerbin with Harkonnen while Corrino remained behind to finish supporting colonization operations. The G-LOC docked to Harkonnen without incident, at which point the ship was cleared to break orbit.

Rather than have Harkonnen leave right away, though, I decided to next head to the C. P. Baker outpost on Laythe. I have an ongoing outpost expansion mission at the Vermilion Block 380 outpost on Vall that is done other than a requirement to have a second engineer present, and a colonization mission had concluded at Baker on Monday that gave me a number of re-trained folks, including two newly frocked engineers. I figured I could steal one of them to do the trick, and to that end I began implementing a plan to get them there. The first part of that plan was to print up an Auk XIII single-passenger spaceplane at Baker, which got started on Monday. Harkonnen's delay was due to the fact that the plane was ready.

PDyCDd4.png
Strike Eagle cleared for takeoff...so what the hell is this thing doing here?

After fueling, rookie engineer Mitvin Kerman boarded the plane and it was released from the launchpad, proceeding to taxi the 1.3 kilometer distance from there to the Baker 36 Runway threshhold.

UdKrYmj.png
I think this actually past the threshhold, but you get the drift. Number 1 in the pattern.

While waiting for space station Laytheport to come into position for the plane to launch, the crew at Baker installed a new pair of Mineshafts to reconnect the base's mass driver up; as has been the history at Baker, this launch also caused something to spotaneously combust. Kraken gets his lunch there...

Finally, with the space station in position, the plane took off.

JZu0Yfa.png
Mitvin is, of course, completely thrilled. She just forgot to go use the can before she got on the plane, obviously...

zIMXwXU.png
♫ East bound and down ♫ ...er, up. Whatever. Trucking or something.

The plane launch was a success; it came into dock at space station Laytheport eleven minutes after clearing the atmosphere.

14slBms.png
Yeah, docking. But at least there's Jool to look at...

Since the tourist group I intend to send out towards Jool with which she'll hitch a ride out to Vall hasn't even left Kerbin yet, Mitvin's got a bit of a wait ahead of her. Hopefully I can attend to that later today, though.

With the plane docked there was no further need to delay Harkonnen's departure. She received a shot of Xenon Gas from the Sleipnir A outpost on Dres's surface, after which she secured her mass driver and broke orbit, warping to Kerbin. The ship arrived at 5,960 m/s and after eight warp-back maneuvers settled into a 732.5 by 653.7 kilometer, 2.39° inclined orbit, good enough for government work. The G-LOC departed Harkonnen and began maneuvering down towards Kerbin in preparation for de-orbiting, a process that was delayed only by the need to conduct a burn of the Boop-Boop 7w probe currently being re-positioned into a stationary orbit over Dres (still have four hours to go before I know if that whole effort was a success or not). The G-LOC deorbited and splashed down into the ocean 59 klicks to the east of KSC, bringing the current exploration mission to a successful conclusion. As hoped, this unlocked a new world for flyby: Moho. I had guessed it right...

Ended my day yesterday by beginning the next colonization expedition mission to the Deepwater Horizon outpost on Minmus. Colonists Wencas, Bersel, Orcas, Necott, Lobas, Leble, Glegard, Lenvis, Lenzer, Antop, Valnard and Errie Kerman boarded an Auk XVI 12-passenger spaceplane at KSC, which took off and burned for a 102.9 by 100.1 kilometer, 0.34° inclined orbit. This morning, India Princess departed from space station Kerbinport to rendezvous with the plane for refueling procedures, arriving after a 37 minute flight.

M92qTrQ.png
India Princess coming up on the Auk.

IP docked successfully, at which point fuel supplies were shot up to the plane from the South Base outpost near KSC. Fully refueled, the plane undocked from IP, which herself departed to return to Kerbinport. Time to rendezvous has been set at 56 minutes.

So today I'll be getting Princess back to Kerbinport and getting the Auk on its way towards Minmus - space station Minmusport does have a single docking pier for planes, so I have no qualms about sending it that way. I've got a probe over Dres that will hopefully be getting into position where it's supposed to be, and I'm hoping to be able to get the next interplanetary tourist mission started today. I've got nine tourists on the slate, eight of which are going beyond Kerbin's orbit. Other than that I don't anticipate too much going on. I have some drilling to do at Ike and Eve and a trio of survey missions to attend to at Duna, Eve and Bop. The one at Bop is close enough to the Bohai 2 base on the surface that I might try to knock it out if I get bored for some reason.

Got tomorrow off in anticipation of every last damn thing going on in the world this weekend, so this is liable to be it for me until Monday. I'll keep y'all posted. 

Edited by capi3101

I experimented with spaceplanes.

this one is inspired by the old Kerbin Orbital Shuttle System:

SOmkcTX.png

kmVJ7uJ.png

It works but there is trouble with circularizing the orbiter’s orbit before the game deletes the booster for being sub-orbital. I know FRMS can get around that. The stack can SSTO, which led me to wonder why I need a booster and orbiter. That led me to:

FmkG5NX.png
This is the Hyperion space plane, inspired by @Rocketology’s Zeus Type H, found on KerbalX. Hyperion isn’t as capable but that’s ok.

Part of my testing involved making a robot arm via More Servos mod. I got the texture fixed but need to tweak the UI a bit...

I Built A Functioning City In KSP With Power, Lights, ETC

Here is my tweet:

I Have Made A Functioning City. Made By Me

Miguelsgamingch - Engineer And Designer, Builder

And the Following Kermans:
Bob Kerman - Engineer And Designer, Co-Builder, A Friend

Bill Kerman - Engineer And Designer, Also A Friend

Valentina Kerman - Engineer

And We Built A City

We Used Hundreds of Utilities And Parts Mod

All Mod Used:

Konstruction: 

Used For The Vehicles And Cranes And Construction Parts, ETC

Indicator Light

For Some Light Of Course!!!

Vessel Mover

To Move The Parts And Construction, ETC

NearFutureSolar NOTICE: Curseforge link

https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/near-future-solar

For Energy / Power, We did Make A Solar Farm

Also KSCVessel

So That We Can See It When Not In A Ship

I posted the career report last night, but forgot to post here.  My career continued to progress.  The most significant accomplishment was a larger Kerbinport Station in HKO, plus some tourists to Minmus, Mun & a brief hop into interstellar space.  Science is becoming an issue to advancement, but I should get a nice boost once the Dres probe arrives in orbit.

Kerbinport station with its first crew and first expansion - an crew module with quarters for 8

sEPjdeI.png

6-seat MiL-6 Mun/Minmus lander

J5zROtV.png?1

Interplanetary tourists returning home, near the already splashed-down NERV stage.  I'm really surprised that a NERV floats - the empty fuel tank sure, but the NERV itself?

4ANpfDJ.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

I got a 19-person lander in orbit of Moho with 1.9 km/s of delta-V to spare. I used to be able to carry only three people at a time to that place, but I'm getting ready to take more than that.

iOq63ic.png

Soon, a mass ore transport (with a 1500 ore capacity) will arrive as well, and I will then test the new Poseidon SSTO for its ability to fly to Moho. If the tests go well, the Poseidon will be the new default tourist transport for my career save.

• Except for:
    • Gilly, since it's too bouncy
    • Eve.
    • Tylo.

1 hour ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

I got a 19-person lander in orbit of Moho with 1.9 km/s of delta-V to spare. I used to be able to carry only three people at a time to that place, but I'm getting ready to take more than that.

iOq63ic.png

Soon, a mass ore transport (with a 1500 ore capacity) will arrive as well, and I will then test the new Poseidon SSTO for its ability to fly to Moho. If the tests go well, the Poseidon will be the new default tourist transport for my career save.

• Except for:
    • Eve.
    • Tylo.

Ok Then......

Even if most of my installs are highly modded, sometimes I find myself traveling with a notebook. The current stock game is all this poor little rig can handle.

It is still enjoyable to get a Kerbal session stock, and one of my favorite activities is just grab a couple of the pre-built craft to launch and rendezvous.

Here we have the Dynawing Shuttle and the Aeris 4a.

tykktg895j441.png

5 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

iOq63ic.png

• Except for:
    • Eve.
    • Tylo.

A Poseidon ship for tourists?  Interesting.  I had one built named like that last week.
Interesting !  ;) 

Edited by Francois424

2 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

A Poseidon ship for tourists?  Interesting.  I had one built name like that last week.
Interesting !  ;) 

My Poseidon is this bad boy right here.

Spoiler

4LXdN6M.png

iQGLE6k.png

• Getting into Minmus orbit after refueling in the Flatlands. Highly recommended that you stop here to refill your tanks.

cWv3kR1.png

• Docking-capable variant of the Poseidon SSTO
    • Both models have docking ports, but this one can actually move itself to dock with other spacecraft.
      • The other one needs it for refueling craft.

jmOuAZ8.png

• Refueling on Ike near a base before plotting its maneuver to Jool --> for Laythe.

UsrEZqv.png

• Docked with an ore transport for refilling its liquid fuel tanks
    • When the liquid fuel tanks are full (along with 0 oxidizer and ~50 units of monopropellant in the cockpit), this particular model has 5,046 m/s of delta-V on NERVs alone (43 minutes, 22.8 seconds of burn time)

I also made an abortion sequence for the non-docking-capable variant

• I really need to think of better names for the variants.
  • "Poseidon" is sticking with the original.

EcBx73y.png

• In case I lose control over Kerbin, I could just eject the cabin and wait for a safe altitude to deploy the parachutes.

For more details on this plane in action, read "The Neptune Mission Files" entries dating back to Y47D80

What do you think, @Francois424? Let's see your "Poseidon."

On 12/12/2019 at 4:02 PM, capi3101 said:

Nothing from that era was ever of much concern, IIRC. 

If I had more time I'd find and show y'all the monstrosity I built once to put launch (and recover) a Mun lander. Mun and back for the cost of the fuel - I did that once upon a time.

But I digress. Ahem.

Ah yes, the grand old days of being able to put anything, no matter how aerodynamically implausible, into orbit.

oWoPDau.jpg

qjzdzAr.jpg

f3tufCo.jpg

Not forgetting using the crew's helmets as aerobraking devices.

niCrJJC.jpg

On 12/14/2019 at 7:13 AM, purpleivan said:

Not forgetting using the crew's helmets as aerobraking devices.

niCrJJC.jpg

THIS is the reason I play KSP and not Orbiter!!!!!!! :sticktongue:

Edited by Lisias
Fixing the quote - I deleted too much! =P

The most important thing I did today, thinking back, is discovering the mystery of why simply approaching a massive, complex space station may potentially cause the thing to explode in a most spectacular shower of fireballs and meteoric hot parts.

Fortunately, I'm a stickler for following procedure and this is one of the many routine situations in which I always F5 as a preliminary precaution.  Nobody got hurt.  (Not in this universe, anyway.)

I have long mused that it's a testament to how little we know about physics -- or about physics simulation, anyway.  Kerbals of a mystic nature talk about the Kraken.  But I know what happened today.  Quite definitively.  That's  :) the easy part (altho it's taken years); now I just need to formulate a business model before publication in the scientific journals...

But, more picture-worthy: I finished testing Victor:

VgSfhzO.png

5pw64Vs.png    ttuS5S0.png

After a series of aviation misfortunes recently, during times of inclement weather, the KAA has mandated that civilian flights follow Victor airways, comprised of a network of navaids.

Victor is a KAA network aircraft used for aerially deploying the ground-based navaids at something like 200km intervals.  Under Instrument Flight Rules, one must not leave a 100km radius of the current navaid until the next navaid is also within 100km.

To follow a Victor airway, one will track in to the next navaid; then turn to a known heading (always consult up-to-date KAA charts) for the next leg.  Once the next navaid comes in range: again, track inbound.

Instead of putting a flag at an airport, install one of these.  Each navaid is comprised of a chute (obvious reasons), a battery, a small radio transmitter (not a relay), a battery and a solar panel.  The navaid is designed to float on water with the solar panel facing up.

It helps that Victor is fast and fun to fly.  (I'm on a real Panther kick now, thanks to @purpleivan)

And, ah, yeah, just teasing about the space station debacle...   I'll tell you for free.  :)

I was splitting a space station into 4 parts.  A Peregrine (SSTO) had just offloaded krew from a Nerfjet (space) and I undocked a Titan fuel tanker to let it drift away from the central Krux, a pretty old space station, now superseded by Nova and Pole Star.  Rather than de-orbit the still-serviceable Krux, I'll be using a Mule to ferry it to my primary Pole Star.

I sent the Peregrine down to a 70km orbit in prep for de-orbit.  When I came back, I noticed that the Nerfjet had wandered about 4 km away from the station.  I switched to it and brought it back.  As soon as it entered physics range, the space station erupted in a long and spectacular fireworks display.  (Got to love KSP!)

I speculate that the Titan had drifted away at only very slow speed (as I didn't give it a push).  And the vagaries of close orbit are that two craft in a similar orbit cross paths.  It's likely the Titan had crossed swords with Krux, which does not matter either at a) warp speed or b) on rails.  But as soon as you come into physics range, and the two craft are "molecularly super-imposed", as we (amateurish) physicists like to say....   BOOM!!

I reloaded the save.  Gave the Titan a proper MP push.  Then repeated all.  No hay problema ahora...

Edited by Hotel26

Ok, here's something I actually did today and not just a comment about something from days of yore.

The tale of Little Flyer.

I decided to try and identify a location in the Kayak Club challenge, and to that end put together a small (and hopefully not too slow) aircraft to check it out. Here it is with Jeb at the controls heading down the runway.

sY2DLc1.png

For something so small it's got a pretty high takeoff speed (about 110m/s) and starts bouncing around a fair bit at 90 or so, making leaving Terra Kerma a little hairy.

Jeb down on the way out to the location he was heading to, as it would be dark when he got there. This was a more than a little tricky as Little Flyer likes to buck around a lot as soon as it touches the ground.  But after four or five increasingly careful attempts, Jeb finally put the bird down.

5wGZdYd.png

Once the target area was in daylight, Jeb took to the skies once more and the view at the target location made the trip worthwhile.

AIkFSDI.png

After flying between the mountains, it was time to go down for a closer look.

805wN5w.png

The plan was to land on a small island in a lake beyond the mountains, which again proved tricky, what with an engine running out of fuel, the nose becoming too light due to fuel drainage and the generally awful dynamics of the aircraft.  At least Jeb was still smiling, even if the plane was a little the worse for wear.

zOiFIpT.png

Finally Jeb managed to wrestle the thing to the ground... in one piece.

I4AWWkR.png

EwaSXZ0.png

With that the first (and definitely last) flight of this monstrosity came to an end. So let's hear it for Little Flyer... a truely appalling little aircraft.

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

Ok, here's something I actually did today and not just a comment about something from days of yore.

The tale of Little Flyer.

I decided to try and identify a location in the Kayak Club challenge, and to that end put together a small (and hopefully not too slow) aircraft to check it out. Here it is with Jeb at the controls heading down the runway.

sY2DLc1.png

For something so small it's got a pretty high takeoff speed (about 110m/s) and starts bouncing around a fair bit at 90 or so, making leaving Terra Kerma a little hairy.

Jeb down on the way out to the location he was heading to, as it would be dark when he got there. This was a more than a little tricky as Little Flyer likes to buck around a lot as soon as it touches the ground.  But after four or five increasingly careful attempts, Jeb finally put the bird down.

5wGZdYd.png

Once the target area was in daylight, Jeb took to the skies once more and the view at the target location made the trip worthwhile.

AIkFSDI.png

After flying between the mountains, it was time to go down for a closer look.

805wN5w.png

The plan was to land on a small island in a lake beyond the mountains, which again proved tricky, what with an engine running out of fuel, the nose becoming too light due to fuel drainage and the generally awful dynamics of the aircraft.  At least Jeb was still smiling, even if the plane was a little the worse for wear.

zOiFIpT.png

Finally Jeb managed to wrestle the thing to the ground... in one piece.

I4AWWkR.png

EwaSXZ0.png

With that the first (and definitely last) flight of this monstrosity came to an end. So let's hear it for Little Flyer... a truely appalling little aircraft.

Is that Scatterer? I've not used it (never used EVE) for a long time because it wasn't worth the fps hit on my APU (A10-7870k... FX based garbage at this point)... and WOW, whatever you're using looks incredible! What are your system specs? :P

23 minutes ago, MR L A said:

Is that Scatterer? I've not used it (never used EVE) for a long time because it wasn't worth the fps hit on my APU (A10-7870k... FX based garbage at this point)... and WOW, whatever you're using looks incredible! What are your system specs? :P

Yep it's scatterer, but I've also got EVE and KS3P.

My specs are a GTX 1070, with a Ryzen 5 2600X and 16GB of RAM.

No sooner had I published my Victor II aircraft for aerial deployment of navaids, I realized how to protect the fragile HG-5 relay antenna and jam five of them into a Victor...

So, one can not only make a navaid network for Victor airways (so-called), but one can also make a ground-based relay network.

GH64Pk3.png

...and/or ocean-based!  This version is Victor III.

Edited by Hotel26

26 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

No sooner had I published my Victor II aircraft for aerial deployment of navaids, I realized how to protect the fragile HG-5 relay antenna and jam five of them into a Victor...

So, one can not only make a navaid network for Victor airways (so-called), but one can also make a ground-based relay network.

GH64Pk3.png

...and/or ocean-based!  This version is Victor III.

still using the old texture for the service bay?

4 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Yep it's scatterer, but I've also got EVE and KS3P.

My specs are a GTX 1070, with a Ryzen 5 2600X and 16GB of RAM.

ooh also.. what kinda fps you getting? I'm looking to upgrade soon :)