What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Spent quite a bit of the day working on my Kerbal Kaman HH-43.  I had written this project off on the first try but then I realized that I needed to turn pitch/roll/yaw off on the rotor blades.  After that it flies pretty well and has a nearly identical top speed as the real one.

j0FNiON.jpg

(1.8.1, Making History, Breaking Ground, a few basic mods)

Well finally I got a few Mun missions to bring a few tourists near the Mun and a quick experiment in space.

Getting my feet wet to get near the Mun and most important bring back Valentina, Barbart (hmm must be related to that Simpson character), Tanbert and Mausy kerman.

Last nights mission:

mun1.jpg

Spoiler

mun2.jpg

mun3.jpg

mun4.jpg

Spoiler

mun5.jpg

mun6.jpg

Spoiler

mun7.jpg

mun8.jpg

Tasked with collecting data from a number of biomes across Duna's surface, Bill and Sakura Kerman set their autopilot to full speed and watch the red rocks whizz past for quite a few hours before a strange sight begins to creep up in the landscape ahead...

lDdqpqA.jpg

Whether this is evidence of an ancient civilisation or a curious but random rock feature, they aren't sure, but it's certain to give the boffins a lot to think about when they get home.

A number of days elapse while Dunamite ambles across the red ground (thank you Bon Voyage for not making me pilot all that distance!), and in the end we have samples from the Northeast Basin, Poles, Polar Highlands, Lowlands, Midlands and Western Canyon. But frankly it looks a bit same-y after a while and I didn't want to make loads of identical posts so let's put that on fast foward.

hxKq45j.jpg

Somewhere around the edge of the polar ice, mission control ponders whether they have ever sent anything to Ike (we have not) and whether we should in future (jury's out). It's not that we don't like Ike, but there's a good chance the crackpots will start claiming that we're just taking photos from Mun and airbrushing Duna into the sky, and we're not sure we can be bothered with the social media storm that will follow.

Also, outtake for the lulz... Something in the trailer hitch is the weakest link of Dunamite, and if driven too aggressively for too long, it will split in half, sometimes with comedy consequences. 

y6rho7V.jpg

Whether I should have lived with this stupidity is something I'm still pondering. I had about half my data and it would have been a reason to build another rover and extend the mission... 

Today I focused on gather some money from contracts.First of all I rescued a scientist kerbal who was orbiting Kerbin (my EVA skills on space are even worst that on land)  but I finally managed. Then set up another mission to Minmus where I fulfilled three contracts in one single journey. Made a succesful docking with my orbital station there, then run a SCANsat of Minmus, and finally I planted flag with Jeb. Then I came home from a suicidal apoapsis, my lander speed was about 3120 m/s when I entered Kerbin atmosphere, there were a couple of explosions (my terrier motor blew up) but I finally get a decent amount of cash and 281 units of science. Not bad for a xmas afternoon! :-D

uPq21OM.png

yXsNAmn.png

K6JS6Uz.png

NDzb4gi.png

Well, it happened.

For the first time it is technically possible to build a rocket entirely out of patched parts!

I decided to complete the size 0 and size 1 engines and then patch the S0 and S1 fuel tanks so I have both at around the same "completeness". Now I have the probe cores, some fuel tanks and some engines done and it already looks very good!
8T3JsWt.png

ziX97G1.png

18 hours ago, FahmiRBLXian said:

Oh God, I'll be heading back to Boarding School on that date.

I can give you the save file with the route now if you like:

Zipfile of the save file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwfjt0bo7nxn0lr/Kerbal Dakar 2020.zip?dl=0

(I'm not sure if this works....?)

Edited by Triop

34 minutes ago, Triop said:

I can give you the save file with the route now if you like:

Zipfile of the save file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwfjt0bo7nxn0lr/Kerbal Dakar 2020.zip?dl=0

(I'm not sure if this works....?)

Yes, it does work ... without any DLC as well so there should be no problems for anyone using the save file (tested in KSP v1.8.1)

I've already transferred the coords into an orx file for the Dakar 2020 and will include the challenge in OrX Kontinuum (with scoreboard integration as well) when I release the next version in a few days :wink:

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Yes, it does work ... without any DLC as well so there should be no problems for anyone using the save file

I've already transferred the coords into an orx file for the Dakar 2020 and will include the challenge in OrX Kontinuum (with scoreboard integration as well) when I release the next version in a few days :wink:

Thanks, my PC keeps doing weird stuff so I can't check it myself...

I'm looking forward to see your work, maybe your mod is the best way to do this easy.

Keep me posted. &)

18 minutes ago, Triop said:

maybe your mod is the best way to do this easy.

Keep me posted. &)

Only problem with this is that OrX Kontinuum was built on KSP v1.8.1 so it won't work on any version but 1.8.1 (likely works fine on 1.8.0 too) 

The Unity engine change makes it that way as it would take me quite a bit of work to back port it and many of the features that I've put into OrX K rely on Unity 2019

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Only problem with this is that OrX Kontinuum was built on KSP v1.8.1 so it won't work on any version but 1.8.1 (likely works fine on 1.8.0 too)

Let's just not worry about that yet... :lol:

( 1.7.3 - Kerbal-Sized RSS )

Inspired by eddiew's hinge-trailer rover, I made my own.  I could've used the Ares Rover from "The Martian" but I preferred to use our current stock rover cockpit this time.

First, I needed to land the thing on Mars

TyXAfmZ.png
VJeirbm.png
OroBqM1.png
PVzwmGV.png
Nothing like a good, self-destroying skycrane to deliver a Rover.

And then started roving :

ilClz9I.png
6kxX71V.png
Rolling towards Olympus Mons... which is about 300km away.  But that's Okay, I love roving around !

So it looks like the kind of thing Mark Watney drove on mars during the movie.  Batteries in the back trailer, Some solar panels that can deploy using a stock hinge, obligatory science package tucked in.
The two "Ares Rover" batteries each provide 4k electrical charge, for a total of 8k.  Solar panels provide slow EC recuperation, which is good for taking a break while recharging.
The night is very taxing as there are no RTG in this vehicle.  It is surprisingly stable and rolls really well up to about 25-30 m/s, at least on Mars.

Nice work on the IVA of that rover cabin Squad, it looks good !

25 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

Inspired by eddiew's hinge-trailer rover, I made my own.

Finding that hinge movements could be coupled to wheel steering input was unexpected but amazing. It makes articulated vehicles just work - and much better than trying to drag an unlocked hinge :) 

Edited by eddiew

The madness has no limits! 2,078.429 tons. First stage has 64 LFO engines and 8 Gigantic Boosters!

Now... How I can get to Laythe with this thing? :D  

0000.jpg

Well... Not this time, I borked beautifylly on the aerobraking on Jool.

Well.... So let's see how deep is Jool on 1.8.x - FOR SCIENCE!

0001.jpg

Hell of a dive. I should had brought some science stuff....

0003.jpg

50 meters below the sea level (????) and everything is ok!

0004.jpg

And yeah... 274 meters below the ... "surface" and the trip is over. Farewell, Ellright and Urbro, your sacrifice was not in vain. See you on the next F-9, I mean, life!

0006.jpg

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

Jool

Thank you! I love Jool landers. It was my first video of the Doodling Adventures, sadly neither you or I brought any science on our missions! RIP Ellright and Urbro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A year and a day ago I started KSP after waiting for four-ish years (Cause I was waiting for the 3DS edition). It was so frustrating at first, my first rocket, the Cheetah, was a solid stage with a crew. It had no declouper. Then I made more and more, on the first day I made an orbital rocket; The Gene 1!!! But it would send me in an elliptical orbit. That saturday I got into a stable-ish orbit. The week after I landed on the mun for the first time and back on the second try (Thanks to @ShadowZone who had a lander tutorial.) I kinda stayed coasting after words and made spacelabs and uncrewed landers. My first interplanetary mission was Dux that which landed on Duna, it wasn't my first try (most likely fourth mission) but landing was done on first try. My computer crash and I lost Dux and my later Ixe lander save. Then I got into my lunar crew program. Where I landed on the Mun then Minmus then Mun, then made a Mun base all with crew. I tried a Minmus polar landing but at the time I had issues where I didn't know how to switch from Orbit to Surface. After that I tried a Duna Crew mission Huoxing but failed because I didn't have enough fuel to circularize at Kerbin or didn't know how to Aerobrake. After that I explored unmanned the whole Kerbol system it went; Duna, Duna, Eve, Dres, Gilly, Eeloo, Jool 5, Moho, Moho, Laythe*, Laythe, Vall, Bop, Pol, Tylo (Underlined was a failed mission and * informed that it was not released to website). After that I tried another mun base, orbital lab, and more. Then I started the Expedition Eeloo. It followed Mun, Minmus, Duna, Dres, Ike, Bop/Pol (combined mission), Vall, Eeloo, Tylo, Laythe, Gilly, Moho. That lead to The Doodling Adventures. That which I have slowed on uploading recently. Now take note a year ago I thought by today I would have at most an Eeloo Uncrewed landing. I hope to do an Eve crew mission and attempt a world's first Jool 6 Mission.

Spoiler

the-first-view-of-the-mun.png?w=581&h=

My fist attempted Mun landing, It would later run out of fuel stranding the Kerbal

crewmuns-first-landing-1.png?w=1250&h=

My first Ever Mun crew landing that returned successfully 

we-have-landed-again-1.png?w=1316&h=

Another landing I accomplished later

My first Duna Landing

liftoff.png?w=1024

One of those fun Crew Concepts

final-feature-scanned.png

Tylo Crew mission from the Expedition Eeloo program

ike-tumbnail-1.png?w=1024&h=

The Ike Lander from The Doodling Adventures

Edited by Guest

Toying with the possibility of an electric drone for Eve...

Msuebeq.jpg

Now, it does work. Needs a few more solar panels, but it does fundamentally do what you'd want, i.e. flies in the direction you point it, turns, lands, takes off again, etc. However... the BG propellers do not handle so much as 2x timewarp, and this thing only flies at about 90-110m/s, and it can't be driven by Bon Voyage autopilot. And Eve is a big planet. An extended expedition with this thing will be... painful beyond belief. Also it doesn't have any real ability to manoeuvre while on the ground, so putting a scanning arm on it doesn't really help with anything.

Fun experiment, but the available parts do not really make such a mission very practical vs other options so... probably leaving this here and calling it quits on the idea.

Had a manned/kerballed spacecraft achieve Duna orbit for the first time! Setting up Valentina to be the first Kerbal to set foot upon Duna. Will have to practice landing on Duna as I doubt I can do it successfully the first few times. Have scanned ore sites so I can set up a drill and refinery to produce fuel.

11 hours ago, eddiew said:

Fun experiment, but the available parts do not really make such a mission very practical vs other options so... probably leaving this here and calling it quits on the idea.

You're no doubt right about your own judgment.

I have a quite fast but very stable rover about a third of the way around Kerbin right now.  And I'm taking the longer southerly detour route.  I haven't moved it in a long while, I'll admit, but this is the kind of thing that I come back and pick away at every now and then.  An hour a week in several hits.  That's the approach to use, maybe?

But you did mention "better options"...  It's nice to be independent of fuel suppliers, though.

12 hours ago, eddiew said:

only flies at about 90-110m/s

On Eve it's pretty good.  Unless you make electric jet engines but better get a lot of solar panels if you respect the energy requirements.
My own plane used to do about 75 m/s.  Note that if you get very high altitude, the air thins out, and you'll be able to go quicker.
Landing is a non-issue, pop the chutes and go make a sandwich.  Oh yeah a drone... so can't repack chutes.  Well you can always point down and glide real fast to the ground.

Personally, I spent the whole day "Fixing my install" -- ie: fixing errors loading up KSP, making sure every piece/parts are working with their models/sounds and all that stuff.
About half-way there.  I really wish -CTN- would come back and agree to fix the 2-3 parts I still use from his mods, I don't have a model editing tool, so I can't fix those annoyances unfortunately.
(One has the model offset by 90 degrees - the lights shine on the wrong side and it has slippery ladder syndrome, both models do not have an internal lightsource, so you can't turn the cockpit lights on, and that irks me to no end... )
No real picture, unless you guys want to see code in notepad.exe.

Taking a break now. But man does KSP 1.8 ever loads fast :) 
I dunno if they improved it, or it's because I've not swamped the thing with mods yet, but wow.