What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

caught my first space potato and put it in a 100k kerbin orbit, only lost one solar panel, and only cursed the claw a few hundred times......i think thats an improvement
now what to do with this potato though? i figure ill science it over every biome, then dock it to my kerbin station and mine fuel off of it to fund my interplanetary conquest. (sorry the image is dark, the sun was on the other side when i took the pic, and i always forget to put lights on my craft until i need them)
CjmX8bZ.png

Edited by putnamto

56 minutes ago, putnamto said:

caught my first space potato and put it in a 100k kerbin orbit, only lost one solar panel, and only cursed the claw a few hundred times......i think thats an improvement
now what to do with this potato though? i figure ill science it over every biome, then dock it to my kerbin station and mine fuel off of it to fund my interplanetary conquest. (sorry the image is dark, the sun was on the other side when i took the pic, and i always forget to put lights on my craft until i need them)
CjmX8bZ.png

"dark"??? I had to turn both brightness and contrast up to 100% to see anything lol :P looks interesting though from what i can see!

2 hours ago, putnamto said:

now what to do with this potato though?

Well, in addition to mining it, you could:

• stick a couple of parachutes on it and land it on Kerbin
  • (try to) land it on the VAB
  • (try to) smash the VAB with it
  • collect a bunch of them and give Kerbin a fashionable asteroid-belt
  • convert it into an airplane: Flying-Rock-Kit

Or try to come up with an even more crazy idea. :cool:

One more thing I just recently noticed: some (all?) asteroids have more than 95% ore, which makes them potentially the most efficient fuel tanks. (You do have the overhead from the drill, converter, ore tank, electricity supply, and cooling, but with a large enough asteroid this shouldn't matter much.)

(1.6.1) Had the day off from work yesterday while my wife dealt with some dental issues my eldest son is having. Didn't have any actual progression in my career save, but I wouldn't say the day was entirely wasted. Further testing will be taking place today but if all goes well enough this will be my last log entry for v1.6.1...

So Tuesday then. No screenies, I'm afraid. Not that anything happened interesting enough to warrant them. At least, nothing interesting happened that happened in bright kerbol-shine...

My day on Tuesday began after having cheated on Monday by using KML to put five bucks worth of gas into Eunice Howell (i.e. a one-third tank, which turned out to be about 800 m/s worth). The ship burned to enter orbit over Gilly, establishing itself in a 93.3 by 21.5 kilometer, 60.81° inclined orbit. First scheduled maneuver to take her to space station Gillyport will take place at the ascending node three hours from now. That done, I proceeded with docking maneuvers for SS Eastland, which had successfully delivered fuel to a stricken Spamcan 7c lander over Vall; the lander itself had docked with space station Vallport as Howell was coming to the encounter with Gilly. Eastland docked without incident. 

With no further need for a rescue ship over Gilly, engineer Macnie Kerman at the Samwell Tarly Yards over Gilly was given the order to halt construction and begin tear-down, something she wasn't happy about at all; tear-down is expected to take 19 hours and 11 minutes to complete, and in the meantime I've got a name that I can apply elsewhere if the need should ever arise.

Finished the day wrapping up a few contracts. The Enchova Central outpost on Duna shot up nearly 3000 units of ore to the Bi-La Kaifa Shipyards via mass driver in order to satisfy an ore hauling contract, while the Alexander L. Kielland outpost on Eve drilled up 500 units of ore and transmitted an EVA report, killing off two more contracts. The replacement for one of these contracts was a simple test of an Ant engine at Kerbin, for which I designed a quick rig-  easy money, if not a whole lot of it.  Replacement contracts here include yet another colonist run to the C. P. Baker outpost on Laythe, bringing the total number of inbound colonists there to twenty. I also picked up an ore hauling contract from Bop to Jool orbit and a Kerbin-orbiting rescue mission. Small fries to be sure, but you can't spend all your time base building, right?

After that was done, though, I went ahead and picked up KSP 1.8.1 and utilized CKAN to find and install most of my mods, putting the rest of them in manually; AVC is only showing potential compatibility issues with three of them, which all told isn't that bad. Yesterday was spent setting up the environment for Pathfinder and performing a base-building test there, since I knew some of the rules had been updated since the version I was using in 1.6.1. Testing looked promising; at the end of the day, I went ahead and copied my 1.6.1 save over to the 1.8.1 folder and performed the first true operational test. Game took 15 minutes to load (an issue) and five to quit out, but I am noticing significantly faster screen changes. Having KAC and KER to handle the things without having to switch to the Tracking Station is nice at least.

V6gYMFm.png
Some of the early 1.8.1 testing. Not sure what the crap is up with that magenta square - all the folks I've seen that reported it for 1.8.x were running a mod that I don't have installed. Watching a TBD rover poop the things out as it drove was also fun...

This morning I was able to transfer up fuel supplies from the Vermilion Block 380 outpost to Vallport via mass driver, and the Nullus Recogitet Shipyards over Dres finished up its print of space station Dresport; basic fuel supplies were transferred from the station, but I'll want to send up additional supplies from the Sleipnir A outpost on the surface before launch occurs.

Today I'll be doing additional testing on 1.8.1; the load time may prove to be a deal-breaker yet. If it is, the few things I've accomplished this morning will need to be done yet again. If not, however, the next thing on my plate is getting Eunice Howell to Gillyport, after which I should have windows open to get LSV House Corrino on its way for the historic Moho flyby or to get LSV House Atreides from Eve orbit to Gilly, both of which have been on the agenda for most of this past week. Most of my contracts are being neglected at the moment; I could probably stand to get some of those underway in the very near future. I'll keep y'all posted.

(1.8.1, Making History, Breaking Ground, Kerbalism and many mods)

Last night for the 1st time I showed my daughter the KSP game I have been playing. She is an even worse nerd than me. So I got her into a stock craft and let her go to town with basic instructions to at least get her of the ground. Then to orbit and even showed her how to get Jeb to do an EVA and float around. To my astonishment, after she got used to the controls in just a few seconds, she was flying by herself with no problems at all and boarded back into the capsule in just a few minutes. This was something I am still getting used to after months of playing. Yup, leave it to the young kids to know how to play ...any games (haha)

After some other info I had to give her to set up a retrograde back to Kerban, she landed the craft with no problem near the crater by the mountains. I was gonna hold off on the parachute stage when it was coming in as the red warning went to green, but I just could not do it. I did not want my daughter or Jeb to fail. I told her to hit the space bar and the craft floated down nicely and she went out to plant her flag on Kerban as a successful flight made her so happy.

Shedidit.jpg

I'm not sure whether to post here or into a Confess your sins thread, but here goes...

Made don't know how many aerobraking passes through Eve's atmosphere. And I literally don't know how many, as I have a single-monitor setup, and I was mostly doing the work I brought home from work, only alt-tabbing into KSP whenever I remembered I better to.

This is my second attempt at Evepollo and it is a repeat of probably the most boring orbital insertion maneuver I've ever performed in KSP so far. I'm actually glad I was working during it, because the idea of having to sit through it all a second time, watching the ship bleed off hundreds of m/s of dV in frustratingly small increments, would certainly grind away my patience. Sure, aerobraking is free dV, but the time it takes...

However, it brought my apoapsis from around 5Mm to under 400km, so I'll be able to try a landing and liftoff come Saturday. Here's to hoping this lander *will* be able to lift off, or I'll have to try a third time :D:blush:

49 minutes ago, noname_hero said:

I'm not sure whether to post here or into a Confess your sins thread, but here goes...

Made don't know how many aerobraking passes through Eve's atmosphere. And I literally don't know how many, as I have a single-monitor setup, and I was mostly doing the work I brought home from work, only alt-tabbing into KSP whenever I remembered I better to.

This is my second attempt at Evepollo and it is a repeat of probably the most boring orbital insertion maneuver I've ever performed in KSP so far. I'm actually glad I was working during it, because the idea of having to sit through it all a second time, watching the ship bleed off hundreds of m/s of dV in frustratingly small increments, would certainly grind away my patience. Sure, aerobraking is free dV, but the time it takes...

However, it brought my apoapsis from around 5Mm to under 400km, so I'll be able to try a landing and liftoff come Saturday. Here's to hoping this lander *will* be able to lift off, or I'll have to try a third time :D:blush:

Eve, and the many rescue missions for my first lander, sure made for some memories.

Best of luck!

docked bob to my kerbin station, now im just need 40 more tech to get the mining equipment so i can put it to use.

btw, never, EVER ask me to dock an asteroid to anything ever, it took over an hour of trial and error, turns out putting a docking port in line with the ship thats pushing the asteroid, but on the opposite of the asteroid is near impossible, thus making docking near impossible, not to mention the damn thing refused to fly a straight line and accellerated/decellerated like molasses.

v3enBIB.png

11 hours ago, michaelbezos1 said:

Hi guys I am stuck at ascending and descending nodes at the docking scenario.
[snip]

(1) To take a screenshot you can press [F1]. It's the same on Mac and Linux. They end up in a Screenshots folder in your main KSP folder (i.e. C:/Kerbal Space Program).

(2) These nodes are where your orbit crosses, if the target's orbit is inclined. You need to align your orbit to theirs to get closer.

(3) Therefore you should create a manoeuvre node at one of the nodes, and use either the Normal or Anti-Normal handles to change your orbit. There is a number on the node which will decrease when your orbit becomes aligned.

(4) Execute the node and you will be in the same inclination as the craft, making it much easier to get an intercept. This is an essential skill, because you usually need it to go to Minmus cheaply, because it is in an inclined orbit. (Minmus is the nicest moon to land on, low-gravity and massive flat areas...)

(5) Then you can raise your orbit until you get an intercept, and then you can coast until you are close. Cancel relative velocity (target retrograde) and then the tutorial will tell you how to dock.

Edited by fulgur

56 minutes ago, fulgur said:

(1) To take a screenshot you can press [F1]. It's the same on Mac and Linux. They end up in a Screenshots folder in your main KSP folder (i.e. C:/Kerbal Space Program).

@michaelbezos1 If you got your game through Steam, then your screenshots should be here.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Screenshots

Edited by purpleivan

7 hours ago, Death Engineering said:

cgsuNmJl.png

I haven't seen this in a LONG time!

I've had about 4 of these through the years of playing and didn't think to start saving them until recently

oX340rh.png

vgGssA5.png

Edited by Castille7

finnally got my first probes to moho, and eve, the one on moho was fine and dandy, the one on eve.....not so much. i ran out of fuel when attempting an aerocapture and got stuck for quite a few passes, wouldnt have been so tedious  accept that i didnt have enough batteries on it to let it orbit over and over withought solar panels, so i had to open, close, open, close, open, close the panels. then finnally after the fiftieth pass under the blowtorch i was in the atmosphere, i celebrated to early and this happened.

......my last quicksave .........4 years ago.

(1.8.1, Making History, Breaking Ground, Kerbalism and many mods)

OK this really had me laughing last night. Not so much the 1st picture but the second one. Yea many times we have all put out the chute and landed on the engine and it stood straight up but the last one got me. It was our usual, get rid of the 1st stage and it crashes to the ground with a very loud bang as you go up with the capsule. It did not crash and I could see from my capsule (still descending) that the 1st stage was standing up!! Dude this thing had no parachute. Yea I know it was the wider base Corgi I was testing and I did get rid of it at a low altitude of maybe 30km up but wow! haha!

OK SpaceX, do that with your falcons, hehehe!

corgi2.jpg

corgi.jpg

Edited by Saturn5tony

Houston KSC, the Eve lander has ascended! :cool:

screenshot454.png

This was my first successful liftoff from Eve, and with a periapsis of some 93km and 400 m/s of dV left, Bob is one happy scientist. Not that I need that dV - my transfer stage, now free of of that up to a short while ago huuuge lander, sudenly has more than 8000 dV left, plus 1900 m/s of dV in my Gilly lander/return lander.

I really don't want to know where my blood pressure peaked during that liftoff... :D

25 minutes ago, noname_hero said:

I really don't want to know where my blood pressure peaked during that liftoff... :D

For me, it's generally around MaxQ at 12,500m ASL. I have Kerbal Flight Data installed so I get to see the Q - last two flights I've seen it go to 125 kPa, which is when you know you really oughta back off the throttle a little...

1 hour ago, ValiZockt said:

After many failed missions due to engine failures, i actually did it today... a soft lunar landing [RSS/RO/RP-1]

XYNLzb1.png

zqLDvPA.png

7EUNVxD.png

npGbOqL.png

Oi5CEFf.png

xX2IDzs.png

vTNNTvw.png

It always amazes me how much bigger the rocket has to be in RO to get such a piddly payload to the moon...

I really should give the mod a go as nearly every rocket I build I have to de-optimise as I get annoyed when its an accidentaly SSTO... but I just dont like playing a hugely modded game lol.

I REALLY hope one of the difficulty options for KSP2 alters the solar system and body size (default/"real"?)... I can dream though! :P