What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

(1.8.1) Yesterday went pretty much as I expected it to, which is more than I can say for things these past couple of weeks. As mentioned in my last post, I decided to go ahead and forego the desperately needed necessary changes to the design of the Auk XVIII 20-passenger spaceplane that became readily apparent during its test flight, and instead opted to go ahead and get LSV House Harkonnen from Bop to Tylo. The ship's Alcubierre Drive engaged and she broke orbit. Upon departure from Bop's SOI, I found that the ship's speed relative to Tylo was already below what it needed to be for a direct orbital entry (630 m/s relative to be exact), so she went straight there and after a little bit of maneuvering settled into a 2,700.9 by 385.1 kilometer, 5.88° inclined orbit. Apoapsis is a bit higher than I'd like it to be but that's something I can burn out around periapsis if I feel the need to do so. Upon orbital establishment, J. G. Backus docked to Harkonnen departed and burned for an intercept with space station Tyloport, reaching the intercept point about an hour-and-a-half later, at which point she burned to set up a rendezvous. Rendezvous occurred 51 minutes later.

kvdC6AD.png
I hear tell that Tylo's surface texture has been improved in 1.9. Too bad that A) it'll be at least another month before I could conceivably verify that and B) my hardware hasn't changed since 2015 and isn't liable to anytime soon, so who cares...

Docking occurred without incident. At this point Backus's mission is in a holding pattern until the orbital Nomina Perplexa Shipyards over Tylo finish up the print of the Spamcan 7e heavy lander. Wait time there should be just over 2.5 hours if the KAC alarm schedule in the above screenie is to be believed...

After Backus docked I checked in at the Aban Pearl outpost on the surface of Moho, and discovered that the print of the Phase 2 base-parts module was in fact much further along than anticipated: the estimated print time decreased immediately to just over five minutes. Pearl completed the print, at which point the base structures were transferred into positions closest to where they would be installed and the storage containers recycled. Engineers Anemy and Gwenuki Kerman then took turns putting the structures into place, which is what I did for the rest of my day yesterday. I nearly completed the tent city portion of the base last night; alas that after a certain point, another Squad of Krakens decided to descend upon my base - after the third spontaneous combustion and revert, I decided to go ahead and call it a day. It was a productive day though - aside from 4 Chuckwagons to store extra Rocket Parts and Konkrete and some exterior lights, the tent city is finished and the Castillo modules just need to get sufficient Konkrete to begin putting up.

kq2eOIr.png
Aban Pearl on Moho as of this morning, where it's going to night for quite a little while just yet...

Owing to an early morning doctor's visit today, I haven't yet had opportunity to play today. I'm giving priority to finishing up Pearl though; I hope to be able to report that the base is complete on Monday morning with some inroads made towards building a craft to return to Kerbin. I anticipate the Spamcan will also finish its print today, at which point an attempt will be made to land tourist Nafel Kerman at the Usumacinta outpost on Tylo - the lander's going to be one-way based on the design unless I'm much very much mistaken, so a surface refuel op will be necessary. After that I've got an Auk XVI 12-passenger plane coming back from an extended trip out to Minmus that's about made it home to land. A Crater Maker Heavy 7 16-passenger lander under construction at the Non Casueus Yards over Mün is also nearing completion, after which I intend to build a spaceplane pylon for space station Munport to avoid the difficulties I had with getting the batch of colonists already there in the future. The lander itself is scheduled to take said colonists down to the Piper Alpha outpost on the surface, and since the Heavy 7 is designed for Duna landings, I don't anticipate problems there. I'm going to have to get the Auk XVIII redesigned if I really intend to use it to send up the passengers for the big interplanetary mission I've got set up, especially since the Bus Module currently under construction aboard LSV House Atreides is getting reasonably close to completion as well. Only other things on the horizon aside from the big mission are a drilling mission at Mün (should be easy enough) and the long-delayed survey mission to Eve's north pole, which has been awaiting a relatively quiet Sunday for a while now. I'll let y'all know how the weekend goes; hope to have something more substantial for all y'all then.

Back to KSP after a while.

I'm on a new career in 1.9 -- hard difficulty, probes only (self-imposed restriction). Biggest achievement so far is sending this little mission to Eve (supported by a commsat constellation of course).

Top speed on Eve well over 100 m/s. Only problem is that past 90 m/s or so she gets unstable so a less stressful cruise speed is somewhere around there. Unlimited endurance for great biome hopping. Takes off and lands vertically, cruises horizontally; with the landing legs extended she's more stable at high speeds -- the motor is more than powerful enough to overcome the drag.

8NXwfpm.png

PkeaNdQ.png

r749LJx.png

bQDOuAs.png

fBwuRUU.png

I've been testing the new photo mode in 1.9, it's really an awesome thing, it'll make taking good photos real easy for me and videos sometimes.

here's the thing i captured with 1.9

second one is slow motion mod,  something i used before photomode came.

Between my current obsession with coding a bluetooth firmware for a headphone, the weather around here which tends to kill the (aerial) DSL lines or the fact that, suddenly, for no reason, I dropped under 1 Mbps (instead of the more regular 10Mbps), I'm still waiting for a steam update to update KSP to play KSP. I have a mission to eve to build. And asteroids to catch. And a GPU to overwhelm with new planets.

I hate it when I'm locked outside high bandwidth internet (no internet is usually a bit better, I don't event try playing games. This is worse, there's an expectation it's going to get better soon, which it does not).

I've started a program to reuse Zephyr second-stages...  (you can see one here attached on the RHS)

mCmOyV8.png

The device on the LHS features 8x Jumbo tanks, 2x MP tanks, 14 docks and accommodation for 8x krew.  It's kind of an 'auxiliary' station and will float near a main station on an 'invisible tether' (orbital periods synchronized within just a few milliseconds of each other, guaranteeing they don't drift far apart.)  It's mission is to agglomerate lighter/slimmer, utility machines for subsequent usage.

To be truthful, the thing I am most satisfied with (after many iterations!) is the name: Hedgehog.

Eventually, of course, it will need a 'Kraken test' -- and I'm not looking forward to that...

Edited by Hotel26

Did some biome-hopping with the SALTICID-1 probe on Eve. She performs really well, supremely easy to take off and land, great endurance, and produces about 100 Sci per biome hop. Negatives are that she requires constant control input when cruising -- aerodynamics had to be compromised for packaging and mass. 

x08LbtO.png

I'm also developing a successor to the SALTICID-1. The BEE-1 (preliminary name) is a plane-type drone. She's more than twice as massive, about about 1 ton, but cruises easily at over 250 m/s (on Kerbin), and is ridiculously easy to fly -- you can do aerobatics at 30 m/s or even less. Take off and landing are easy too but because she is a tail-dragger, the technique is a bit different than usual. Recommended way to land is to slow down below 28 m/s and when just above the ground, reduce propeller pitch to drop her on the ground and then bring her to a stop. Take-off is safe by setting the blade pitch to 8 degrees, pulling the stick all the way back, then applying throttle: she'll be flying at about 40 m/s easily enough.

I will need to develop my rocketry and fairing tech to be able to package her for delivery to Eve. I think I could do it in a 2.5 m fairing, but a 3.75 m one would be ideal. The biggest one I currently have is 1.85 so there is some way to go.

And yes, the take-off run is short enough she'll leap right off the launchpad:

5dxZpZl.png

iou6MG4.png

Hi guys wanted to make launch today but it is writen that crafts has too many parts . The vehicle assembly buildig cant support vessels over 30 parts. how can i proceed it, help please 

Much love:> 

I was looking for another rockets as due to my thriving multtasking at ebay i found nozzle for 200 pounds and others. I think it is even more than welcome to develop this field as spacex received 2,6 billion funding from nasa it is big amount and even more than welcome to gain. I think this field even the other fields are more than welcome to research. Also i stucked at thhe carrers mode and the building of another rocket. 

Do you know where i can find any rocket ready for launch at this carrer mode or any other more. 

Keeps the things together. 

Edited by michaelbezos1
adding info .

29 minutes ago, michaelbezos1 said:

Hi guys wanted to make launch today but it is writen that crafts has too many parts . The vehicle assembly buildig cant support vessels over 30 parts. how can i proceed it, help please 

Much love:> 

You're in career mode, and need to upgrade the VAB/SPH (whichever you were trying to launch from).  IIRC, it's right-click on the building, and then click on the button to spend the funds.

upgrade the VAB/SPH (whichever you were trying to launch from).  IIRC, it's right-click on the building, and then click on the button to spend the funds.

I wil ltry to do it but i have limited time if i did not sleep every day 12 hours just like normalm workoholic 4-6 hours i could obviously do this and many more fields i will try to do this night i have much coffe with me. It is even more than welcome to do it but sometimes is hard to wake up as bed, sleeping can give much happiness as well (and safety ) 

Built my biggest rocket in this career yet...

SxBlnQM.png

to send a very small probe

8cSMZdq.png

... to Moho.

a7jNkd4.png

I also sent a relay with it. Had to have some way to stay in touch.

h7iOahw.png

I finally figured out how to find Moho, which has been holding me back so far. 

The new shaders look very nice. It'd be cool if they implemented a proper ocean too, so Scatterer wouldn't have to.

At this point I've got my finances stable, "Science data from ..." contracts keep a steady flow of income. There's one exploration contract I want to complete though; waiting for a return window from Eve for that. 

After that I think I'll send the Bee (provisional name) to Eve, and another one with rather more fan blades and solar panels to Duna. I now have the required packaging and rocket technology.

After that I just might be able to afford the tech to send a probe to Jool. Maybe even visit Dres, something I've never done before. I'll need more powerful relays and ideally RTGs for that. 

Also, is it me, or is 1.9 a trifle... unstable? Thing keeps crashing to desktop on me.

51 minutes ago, Retro Starship said:

I have had it running the past few days with no issues., but with very few mods running. Alot of them have not been updated yet so be careful.

I'm running full stock. Verified the files and did the usual things. It's odd...

Today I added the aircraft/horizontal ops section to this space center. It was originally a vertical-only kinda place but then I recently cast a poll and saw some serious high demand...

QUrLsP7.jpg

It's not gonna be too friendly to super-wide planes due to that facility at the runway's edge... I doubt that I'll move it. :P

8XXF4Q8.jpg

Spent a pleasant morning, consulting with the KAA (Kerbin Aviation Authority), to run three flights from KSC to Baikerbanur.

3vzviDM.png

First flight used a KAA Victor II to deploy 4 ground-based nav-aids: HATTR, COBOL, FISHY and SAUCE.
OKa9M34.png   pTRTFyn.png

The second flight computed the outbound bearings from each intersection to the next.

The third flight tested the new, charted route: KSC303 - HATTR283 - COBOL301 - FISHY264 - SAUCE273 - BKB.

(Fly out of KSC on heading 303 and then inbound to HATTR when picked up (100km range); then outbound on 283 until in receipt of COBOL; etc.)

Intersections are no more than 200km apart.

Edited by Hotel26

More offworld activity in my contract free career game.

Val took a trip to Minmus for some biome hopping, courtesy of the Reuso 2 launcher.

aZ2Mn8D.png

PHvucMl.png

zgMXAqs.png

raFOlFM.png

Then headed for a brief time in orbit of the sun, taking a moment to look over the Reuso 2.

9ZwvBFI.png

Qk8vRLu.png

Val wasn't going to have all the fun though, as Jeb went Munside for more biome hopping.

1W4OqhT.png

vOhqItw.png

WhPZKvr.png

n0mwW0s.png

I spent over a million in explosions to develop this: the BAK-511 DUNABEE. 

I explored a novel construction technique which uses cheaty tricks to end up with a non-cheaty result. Basically, I'm working around two of stock KSP's limitations: the aerodynamics model, which only considers if objects are "stowed" or not, and the fact that you can't choose the fuel type for tanks (Lf+Ox, Ox, or just LF). 

So: I built the DUNABEE in a way that all of the spiky bits are, for the purposes of KSP, inside the 1.25 m utility bay, even though they clip right through on both sides.

oQ372sS.png

Then I built an airframe around an empty NCS adapter and an aerodynamic nose cone, which snaps onto the free outside nodes of the Mk 1 utility bay.

HTbelQg.png

The upshot is that aerodynamically it behaves like the teardrop you'd get from the nose cone, utility bay, and NCS adapter, but all the empty volume inside these parts is taken up by Oscar fuel tanks, various sciencey bits, antennas, and what have you. The shell snaps off and on very easily when tweaking it. It's got all the science on it... well, all the resettable experiments anyway, plus the surface scanner, and enough batteries to transmit even atmosphere analyses back. They're keyed to hotkeys since they're all stuffed inside that tiny aeroshell.

I have yet to take it to Duna but on Kerbin it behaves extremely well. It's a very small twin-engine VTOL rocket aircraft, with about 2200 m/s dV on it -- enough to operate on Duna a fair bit before heading back to orbit. Fuel balance is almost perfectly neutral, the CoM does not shift appreciably as fuel depletes, which is extremely important on a VTOL.

2NwwxER.png

She has a Docking Port Jr on the tail, so the mission will also include a service craft that stays in orbit and is able to refuel it. The lifter stages include enough dV for the ejection burn for Duna. She ought to have enough fuel reserves to allow for at least a couple of missions to the surface, or at least a refuel for a return trip.

So it's able to operate between the Dunatian surface and LDO, and even make the trip back to Kerbin under its own power should I want to do that. 

q8NVO6l.png

This tiny craft was a lot of work to develop but I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I hope it performs as expected on Duna as well.

Edited by Guest

(1.8.1, Making History, Breaking Ground, Kerbalism and many mods)

OK this really looked like fun but in the end very depressing!

I needed to land on the mun, take some samples but only do it with a probe. It did not work when I ended the career task as well, but I did get a bunch of science.

Not really used to probes, I just got the only one available in tier level 6 which is the Probodobodyne Stayputnik and got it to the mun for some science with very little issues. It was very hard to fly with out normal controls but I got it there just fine in the end.

Here is the contract

munprobe1.jpg

Off to the moon! Haha I always say that.. to the Mun!

Spoiler

munprobe2.jpg

Got science recovered, now lets go home...

munprobe3.jpg

Landed just fine but I noticed the part of the contract still has a white vessal info? Also the Mun landing text at the top should be green as well.

munprobe4.jpg

Hmm not sure whats happening so I went back to Gene Kermans list and its still In-active.

munprobe5.jpg

Any one else ever come across these types of issues with probes?

Edited by Retro Starship

59 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I do like those swivelling engines on the mini nosecones...I may have to steal that.

Thanks! Steal away, it's not like it was a great innovation or anything.

-- I did some more simulated trials and she does work on Duna. Very different from my previous Duna planes though: there's so little wing there that she has the glide angle of a sack of potatoes. That means that you land her like you'd land a rocket, once you've braked as much as you can aerodynamically: just go at right angles to your vector and fire the rockets downwards to cut your speed and then plonk her down. 

At 250-300 m/s or over she does cruise on Duna fairly economically though. But will certainly get the job done as a surface to space science shuttle, or to do a few biome hops if she stays on the surface.