What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Val headed for Ike, to grab its fat stacks of funds, in a contract free career game challenge entry.

The Reuso 2 launcher (not used that for a while) dropped back down at the edge of the KSC property.

yOaXvsP.png

Once Val arrived at Ike she proceded to stamp her bootprint of authority on the place.

Little known fact, Val secretly had the words "Property of Valentina Kerman" etched into the sole of here left boot, as an "if all else fails" retirement plan.

DDv5KHj.png

This was followed by a trip to Eeloo by Jeb, Bob and Val, courtesy of the new Reuso 4, heavy launcher. This put it's 51 ton payload into an 80km orbit, with only the fuel and 3% taken off the parts recovery price, as the cost.

LGDG7JT.png

No2igls.png

On Eeloo mighty rocks were conquered.

ou87qwY.png

Then run away from.

Lu74AqU.png

Before finally returning home.

spwSG8C.png

Edited by purpleivan

(1.7.3 RSS/RO/RP-1/Kerbalism)

It's September of 1951, and we're at the height of the sounding rocket era.  Meet Sixpence B.

BVdijFT.png

The initial vehicles in this save were Tiny Tim II (one guess what engine than one had) and Copper A, a 305 mm vehicle with a first-generation Aerobee engine burning Anline/Furfuryl with IRFNA.  We got a couple contracts out of that one, but it quickly became apparent that it wasn't adequate to meet the contracts that were being offered -- even with no payload, it was only good for around 120 km.  Fortunately, the R&D folks pretty promptly released an upgraded engine version, designated XASR-1, with a slightly shorter burn time rating, but nearly double the thrust.  Even that wasn't enough to send instruments and payload into space proper, however, and early simulations suggested that the larger diameter of some of these payloads was part of the problem.  Well, then, let's stage one to another, and build the whole thing to minimize drag as far as practical.  Here's the result.

Spoiler

Here's the full stack on the pad, waiting for the final "Go!" call.

iPbg4dh.png

And here it is, captured less than a second after ignition.

UNfh1PE.png

Booster away, first sustainer burning well.

BxeiG4F.png

Approaching the speed of sound.

mRDOg4C.png

Upper stage ignition and separation.  Burn appears nominal.

DiOwDTG.png

After about 80 seconds of boost comes the coast phase.  The empty tank, engine, and fins are left attached until above 100 km to keep the vehicle pointed along its velocity vector, then they're separated.

sueZAG7.png

Once there isn't enough air to tumble the capsule, it's separated to coast to apogee -- in this case, about 276 km.  Note that I haven't spin stabilized this upper stage or payload -- it doesn't seem necessary unless I'll be applying thrust too high for fins to do their job.

Wups, looks like we're headed for Tampa (in fact, the payload section landed in the Gulf a couple kilometers offshore, and a similar distance north of Tampa Bay).

UnnAn2L.png

Continued yet another career play on 1.9.0 and constructed ahead of time an addition to soon-ish coming Munar research station.
   It is right now on LKO but it will soon leave to Mun where, and after managing Mun ~250km orbit, pusher-phase will detach and start serving as a relay station.
This craft is compiled from pusher, addition to station and evacuation module. Only Jeb was capable of flying this to orbit :cool:CIpVaAD.png

18 hours ago, purpleivan said:

I'm using KS3P, Scatterer, SVE and Planetshine as my visual mods setup. All of them have stock settings except KS3P. If you want I can pass on the config files that I use for that.

Ah. Thanks! But no, don't worry — KS3P locks up my PC.

HEY! Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!

Ha ha, Galaxy Quest. I thought Severus Snape Alexander Dane/Dr. Lazarus was the funniest character of the movie.

Anyway, I tested my new relay carrier plane today. More specifically, I launched an SSTO into LKO and deployed a relay antenna before heading back to the KSC.

dwpEG5D.png

• Load's away. Now to return home.

During landing, I overshot the runway and was approaching too fast and high. Good thing I have years of flight-related gaming under my belt, or else I would have been toast when I tried to pitch downward to slow down. I then pitched up in time to fly to 15 km away from KSC and turned around.

fiRJ82F.png

• Tower: "Relay carrier, this is KSC traffic. You're coming in hot. Turn around at 15 kilometers and approach for landing at 2-7 KSC. Repeat: land at 2-7 KSC"
  • Jeb: "Trust me, boys. I got this."
  • Tower: "That's what we're afraid of."

Much to their surprise, Jeb actually landed the large SSTO without a scratch. Of course, slowing down and coming in low enough for a landing helps.

erjgv9T.png

RELAY CARRIER CRAFT FILE ON KERBALX

Spoiler

* the flight-related games I played include, to the best of my memory,

• Blazing Angels, Squadrons of WWII
  • Google Earth flight simulator
  • World of Warplanes
  • GeoFS
    • My YouTube channel has a video of me flying through the Grand Canyon in a Russian fighter.
  • KSP

I even had some flying lessons in a Cessna IRL.

5 hours ago, Arco123 said:

@purpleivan Can I get that KS3P config file? I'll change it to be compatible with my custom config. 

Here ya go.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pniu14rChEo68jJdMzvHItaFBfb79eTG

The folder contains the configs for Flight, EVA, plus some additional ones for flight with various DoF settings.

I abandoned my "Waste not" career, becuase it turned into a bit of a grind. Once I had a reliable reusable lifter, it was pretty much like any other career except I had to return from orbit after every launch, and I had a lot more janitorial duties to perform, like retrieving craft from rescue missions. The early-game challenge was interesting though but the concept doesn't have wings beyond that.

So, I'm starting a new one, with exactly that as its theme: wings. Aviation. I'm starting out with the tech tree unlocked to Jet Age aviation technology level and see where it goes from there. I'm using planes and helicopters everywhere I can, and favouring mission destinations with atmospheres. I also want to explore Kerbin more, something I haven't ever done much.

Edit: The first craft in this career --

ioUdmfC.png

Oops. Landing gear might need a bit of work, it's a trifle squirrelly on take-off, especially on a bumpy surface...

z5ABGnY.png

First rocket-assisted plane, for taking readings at high altitudes:

koJfVnG.png

Edited by Guest

Val's been playing with boats again, to go exploring in the Kayak Club.

Boats like this.

eMAIHGf.png

That turned into planes.

Kisczps.png

Then boats with wheels... that also turned into planes.

es62TV6.png

Finally, settling on a simple jetski/torpedo like design, she and her ride were loaded up under the belly of the carrier aircraft.

ITMr0hB.png

Then she was dropped over a tiny lake... several times.

That huge helmet kept smashing into the support pylon, separating her from her new toy.

yNKgDAy.png

DRfrgwm.png

Finally, sans headgear, Val was headed lakeward on the end of a deployed parachute.

TH3CJfD.png

The carrier pilot took a pass over the lake to confirm her chute had opened.

T20LCBv.png

Down on the water Val spent a pleasant Sunday afternoon speeding around this little crater lake.

uTAzcOS.png

Edited by purpleivan

What did I do today?

I built a airplane.

I built it the hard way.....piece by piece....and it actually flew...

k3kzKyR.png
ztvz1ml.png

And any landing you walk away from is a good landing.

tqvzass.png

Had fun speed-building planes for the "Wings" career but now I've kind of hit a wall. There's just not enough Science or Funds available on Kerbin to progress -- not without an incredibly tedious grind. I could do a Mun or Minmus fly-by but I can't think of a way of doing it in a plane, a properly plane-ey plane anyway. It would have to be a vertically launched rocket plane like the ones for the abortive "Waste Not" career and that would feel like a defeat.

Anyway, here's PONY-2, my science and low-atmosphere workhorse. Thirty parts, very nice to fly, easy to land and take off:

Z52PoOP.png

I got a contract to test a Panther and got out of the atmosphere with this one:

EJIyBbI.png

And into orbit in this one:

Gs7OelX.png

I completed the Panther contract though so now the most powerful air-breather I have is the Wheesley. I can barely make it to 15k in that, no way it's useful for a spaceplane.

Not been playing much recently, but fired it up again this weekend.

As is my usual approach, I've started a new career for version 1.9, and following some experimentation with Decision Trees in my 1.8 game I've used that as the basis for my kOS scrips for this game, although it's currently linear rather than a true tree.

0FywE1q.png?1

The top left is the mission, which is defined by a series of menus, which in this case was "New Mission" - "Kerbin" - "Polar Orbit".

Top right is the Task Queue.  This gets built on the fly, so it started as just Launch and then the Launch function inserted AtmoLaunch and Circularise based on the status at the time.

Central block is used for the menus and parameters that are updated in real time.

Bottom block is the output log.

Task queue is saved on the ship so the mission can be continued a save partway through, and currently is processed sequentially, as I can't really see me having mission complex enough to require that, instead at the moment where there are multiple options a task selects the required option and loads the follow on tasks associated with that.

First flight was manually controlled and got enough science to unlock the first kOS module, after that it's all completely kOS driven.  So far I've done a few suborbital tourist flights to earn some cash, and have just put Jeb in a polar orbit to do some EVA science.

qEN6m8G.png

Today I decided to land my SpacePéniche on Duna, even if it was not made to dive back into an atmosphere (it really doesn't like it :p)

ZaT13Ag.jpg

Had to land on the engines b/c the bow is made of wings and create a huuuge drag :D

x71YdLJ.jpg

Where's the water ?!

4cL6han.jpg

Its too red, let's sail somewhere else :

xdbr0as.jpg

Here is the landing :

And take off !

Edited by Kerbolitto

A while ago I began a project to set up a crew station and fuel processing station in the Jool system. After launching the crew station, I put a 9-engined, 1000-ton nuclear-electric tug into orbit and hooked it up to the handling station.

Spoiler

bWX1DPs.png

I then launched the crew station and unceremoniously docked it to the end of the beast. Lateral movement was virtually impossible, so I got them close and turned the ports towards each other and simply gave the station some thrust. I also sent up a crew in the trust Razor SSTO to help with assembly.

Spoiler

NLa4BWm.png

Next came the fuelling: I launched the tug with its tanks almost empty of lithium, so I had to do two miserable refuelling runs to top it up.

XN5vaLy.png

Without a doubt the most spectacular spacecraft I've ever put together in KSP.

gz8HbMb.png

Sadly, it was to not be. It burned well, and was comfortably on its way to Jool, but when I loaded in for a midcourse adjustment it just plain exploded. No matter how I warped, saved and loaded, one of the engine nacelles would always explode catastrophically when I loaded the craft. I suspect it might have had something to do with autostrut, but really have no idea. So I made the decision to completely retire the save, and move to a new install on 1.9.1. I accidentally deleted the entire install and lost any screenshots not already uploaded to imgur, which is why I have no pics of the damage or the Jool injection burn.

I plan to re-attempt colonisation of Jool with the same method at some point, but I'm pretty done with enormous spacecraft for now so I'm going to switch it up for myself with an Eve return mission, which is another first for me.

I began with a crew transfer spacecraft. It's a very simple thing; way over-ranged with a heat-shield for aerobraking in Eve's atmosphere. The lander will be sent separately.

Spoiler

wJKcWmx.png

The MEV Sergei Korolev features an advanced phased-array communication system, a mission-proven nuclear-electric lithium propulsion system, full aerobraking capability, and up to 8 years of mission time for six kerbals. 

kLbFtvn.png

Other plans for this save include an unmanned mission to Eeloo, a manned mission to Moho and an asteroid rendezvous. I've lightened up on mods to foster stability, so hopefully I can actually complete my goals this time.

Edited by Hoddd9000