What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

(1.8.1) Not a great deal to report for my weekend or for my day today, though what did happen was important enough. My day on Friday began at the Dystopia Planitia orbital shipyards over Kerbin, where I ordered up the print of a Boop-Boop 7x probe to handle a satellite contract I'd picked up. I was in no hurry to have the probe finished and engineer Ceri Kerman, a proven idiot, obliged; construction time was just short of one Kerbin day. One of these days I've got to get a better staff at DP...

That job done, it was time for LSV House Corrino to begin her historic mission to put an object in orbit of Eeloo and then return to the surface of Kerbin. Corrino began her journey by breaking orbit over Kerbin and warping to Jool.

VnMNVW5.png
I knew that I'd have to bleed off a lot of speed to get out to Eeloo; heading to Jool was intended as a time saver, and I think that for the most part it did the trick.

After five warpback maneuvers to bleed off much of the ship's speed over Jool, the ship proceeded to Eeloo. Unfortunately her arrival speed of 4,194 m/s was tenfold what it should've been to attain orbit and the planet's gravitational pull wasn't significant enough to bleed it off without a substantial number of warpbacks, so the ship departed Eeloo's SOI and headed to a position 1.25 Gm over Kerbol to take care of the rest of it. Corrino took the opportunity while she was in close proximity to Kerbol to recharge her exotic matter tanks. She eventually returned to Eeloo at 427.8 m/s and attained a 172.0 by 160.1 kilometer, 11.38° orbit over the outer planet. 

Upon attaining orbit, House Corrino launched the Pink Noise 7a long-range communications satellite carrier she'd hauled to Eeloo in her drydock. The new satellite, dubbed Eeloocomm Alpha, burned to an orbit of 250.6 by 164.7 kilometers at 0.01° inclination while Corrino's crew began construction of a second Pink Noise 7a craft; construction time was just over 48.5 minutes. Eeloocomm Alpha reached its final target equatorial orbit at 250.6 kilometers and released its sub-satellites, with the new Eeloocomms Bravo and Charlie burning for their respective positions over the planet. The second Pink Noise was finished, fueled and released, with the new Eeloocomm Delta communications satellite burning for a 250.6 kilometer polar orbit prior to launching Eeloocomms Echo and Foxtrot. Meanwhile, Corrino's crew began printing up a ScanSat; the new ScanSat Eeloo was finished, fueled and launched after 12 minutes and 39 seconds of construction time, with the new probe burning to a 176.4 by 160.2 kilometer, 90.15° inclined orbit to begin biome resource scans. The day on Friday concluded with Corrino beginning construction of a Hellhound 7 rover and skycrane, with construction expected to take one hour and 46 minutes. By building the G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft while still in Kerbin orbit and hauling it along to Eeloo rather than printing it on site, I had managed to save enough Rocket Parts for Corrino to print up the scout rover instead; that's the first time that's happened. Figures it'd be on the very last world I will visit in the Kerbol system...

My day today began, as on Friday, at Dystopia Planitita; that probe had finished construction, and launched from the shipyard after fueling.

RawA2fF.png
I don't launch things from this shipyard very often. Part of that is the fact that I don't get as many Kerbin-orbiting missions as I thought I would. The other is the aforementioned idiot manning the place...

The probe reached its target position for contract before the day was out. Unfortunately, the replacement contract was a two-kerbal tourist mission to Jool. LSV House Atreides hadn't yet left for her big interplanetary tourist mission and she still had open seats, so I reluctantly made the decision to go ahead and wrap that tourist mission into Atreides's mission - there are now nine contracts riding on it. I wound up spending the day finishing getting things set up over Eeloo, so Atreides wouldn't have been able to depart anyway, but the delay there is still starting to get a bit ridiculous...

I did at least finish setting things up over Eeloo. All six communications satellites are now in position, and as far as I'm concerned, the system-wide communications satellite network is complete.

FIMmCi5.png
One last set of triangles for old time's sake...

I will still need to build a ground station at the upcoming planned base on Eeloo, but that will be the last bit of communications hardware I'll need to install. 

I've also spent a fair amount of time with ScanSat Eeloo and at this point I've finished taking the biome scans. Based on those scans, I want a Highlands/Midlands interface, preferably one along the equator somewhere. I've got a spot marked that also happens to be close to an Ice Canyon biome, which also had a fair amount of resources that weren't to be found in the Highlands (Highlands looks like my best bet though). Corrino has finished and launched the Hellhound at this point (and at this point it's in a 54.7 by 54.1 kilometer equatorial orbit awaiting the go-ahead to land), and I'm eager to get down to the surface as soon as possible. 

Last thing that happened today was the completion, at long last, of the orbital shipyard for Moho at the Aban Pearl outpost on the surface. Fuel was transferred to the booster upon completion and engineer Anemy Kerman climbed into the cupola module. Though the launch pad was destroyed in the process (a fact that doesn't sting as much owing to the fact that the base had two launchpads), the launch was a success, with the new Nonne Ardere Yards coming on-line after attaining a 76.7 by 76.6 kilometer, 0.46° orbit.

ZWUUPu1.png
Getting this thing in place only took rolling back the Extraplanetary Launchpads mod to the same version I was using in KSP 1.6.1. Probably oughta report a bug or two in there there somewhere...

Next session I'll be fueling the shipyard and beginning construction on space station Mohoport first thing. After that will be an Auk Ia flight to get tourists Kerwin and Burtop Kerman up to House Atreides; the plane will stop for refueling at space station Kerbinport en route. Once that's done and the plane is away, Atreides will be heading out for Dres first. Eleven worlds in the system are on her itinerary, so I might as well begin with the hard ones first. Corrino, meanwhile, is ready to return to Kerbin; I'm giving Atreides priority due to the extensive delay she's already experienced. The G-LOC that Corrino is carrying will be de-orbited upon her return and the hope is that this will unlock surface landing at Eeloo. Corrino herself will likely begin construction of a TBD 7e base-seeding rover when she's back home for delivery to Eeloo along with the single remaining outpost crew aboard. Looking forward to getting that done. Other than that I don't have much else going on; Atreides has tied up nine of my contracts, three more are waiting for time to elapse, and Corrino's got the exploration contract. The other two are survey missions, one at Laythe and one at Eve, both of which I can do at any time (translation: when I have far less going on). I'll keep y'all up to date on things and let you know how tomorrow goes as early as I can on Wednesday morning...not anticipating getting anything else done today.

I decided to make some progress in my stock career after neglecting it for JNSQ testing. 

My Dres Surveyor lander finally arrived and set down safely in the lowlands, sending back images of grayness:

MMi9OM1.png?1

xFIUHm4.png?1

Got another combination relay & lander into LKO for the upcoming Jool transfer, this one headed for Val

2OnvCRf.png?1

Another new addition to the third flight of Jool exploration craft is the Laythe Ocean Explorer 1, a torpedo-based underwater exploration craft.  No images of this one - the fairing stays on till Laythe entry, so not much to see yet.

The highlight of my session was my Jool-Pioneer finally reaching Tylo for a fly-by, followed by fly-by's of Laythe and Val, then getting set up for a Bop fly-by, which should be in about 2 weeks.  There should be plenty of fuel in the NERV stage to set up a Pol fly-by after Bop, then establish orbit somewhere.  Both Laythe & Vall occurred on the night side, so there wasn't much to see unfortunately.

iIWkfG0.png?1

IOIp3nM.png?1

After hours apon hours of tweaking and frustration over the crashing, I have Finally built and flown my first functioning space shuttle! (impressive) 

Here it is during launch:

3-2-2020-8-35-25-PM-f1i1ygxh.png

And here it is replacing the propulsion module of my space station:

3-2-2020-8-34-37-PM-qyivzrpq.png

And here it is splashing down after it's successful mission, only losing a nose cone and some solar panels:

3-2-2020-8-34-18-PM-u445vqsb.png

Also, in case your wondering, the name of this glorious spacecraft is "space shuttle".

And that is all I did today, along with starting development of a New spacecraft!

most eventful day of ksp anyone ever had. like two things happened!

Edited by Dirkidirk

I just finished my second Munar Outpost! I got rid of my first one, since it is now redundant. This outpost is now the epicenter for all of my Munar missions going forward. It is a great little base with ISRU for my landers and rovers. One rover is a fuel tanker and the other is my cargo variant. The rovers are my own design, but the base itself was created by Juggernoob and can be found here: https://kerbalx.com/Juggernoob/Surface-Outpost-Zugspitze

CGET5Si.jpg

18 hours ago, eberkain said:

I redesigned my mfd button controller one more time, did half the soldering on the aviation connectors, broke my soldering iron, and did some more programming on the kos side. 

qpL47qs.png

How are you drawing solid lines that cross?   I've been using the | and __ characters and it doesn't look anywhere near that good. 

(1.6.1)

I installed the GEP last night and now have a brand new system to fiddle around with!

I may have destroyed it once or twice already. But that's a minor setback.

I have a new nuclear probe nearly ready to land on some far off world to prepare for colonisation.

On 2/23/2020 at 10:28 AM, michaelbezos1 said:

looked for some program which open deb file but i need also to install win zip

Uhh, what OS are you actually running? .deb files are packages for Debian GNU/Linux and derivatives, winzip is for Windows, hence the name.

Also, this is really the wrong thread for such discussion...

I do not know if it is wrong thread but annoys much as i donwloaded the 7z1900 exe whic hshould open the deb files and like at almost every application at ubuntu the an error occurred while loading the archive. 

It is thread for discussion as it blocks my development at kerbal space program as if i had 2 notebook i could play efficiently 2 games and in this way i am losing space race. 

I will try to install debian now. 

Much love:> 

Edited by michaelbezos1
adding info

Been patching more and more for the last few days. Almost done with all parts of the "Aero" category!
8H5BvVd.png

Aside from these I have completed all solar panels, batteries, TCS, landing gears and wheels... a LOT of parts!
I might want to consider starting my own thread some time soon.

Continued progress on my career:

Pioneer-Jool finished fly-by's of all the Joolian moons, then set up a 75* inclined elliptical orbit around Tylo to act as a relay until better probes arrive

OijGVqo.png?1

My third "flight" of Jool probes departed Kerbin for the long trip, pictured here is my Laythe Ocean Observer departing

oUsvAF2.png?1

And also brought Jeb, Kelrik & Ambera home from their 200-day surface test on Minmus.  A Minmus rescue contract popped up just before they departed and since they had an extra seat, Jeb insisted on stopping to help.  It looks kinda low, but I had at nearly 4km clearance above the hills.

pJYA4iD.png?1

I also finally finished the R&D level 3 upgrade and the 2800 saved up science points resulted in some very rapid scientific advancements - 3.75 engines & tanks, ISRU & Graviolli detectors, specialized electrics & hypersonic aerodynamics.

Edited by Cavscout74

I love the Kerbal Space Program.  On almost any day, it feels like I have devoted my whole life to it.

I started my current Orbit production world in Jan 2018.  (We were running v1.6.1 back then.  v1.7.3 nowadays...)  Time progressed in 2018 more or less in sync with real-time.  That gave a real feel of what it is like to wait for missions to arrive at their destinations.  I'm still waiting for Eve and Jool.

Moho slipped through my fingers.   Mission Control made bumper stickers, "Next time: we brake for Moho; OK?"

Duna was simpler.  But that's all to show for the lapse of two years!!  UT (Universal Time) now: Y2 D186 04:24:55.  (Time progression picked up slightly during 2019.)

Stats Dept reports "346 flights in progress".  System Monitor Desk reports "98.3% of memory in use".  "Cap'n, she can't take much more!  She's already swapping at Warp 62.2%..."

I don't know what that means but I know the vibrations on Flight Deck are shaking my fillings loose.

Being Kommandant is a crushingly lonely job.  Inspire Confidence.  Maintain Loyalty.  Some days, I just feel like rolling back Time and starting over: Leaner, Younger -- Eager.

But the rules of this Orbit are, "Manage Complexity!".  Directives: "Time warp not to exceed 30 minutes".  Otherwise, "launch, or progress, some other operation".

Too much -- and too many -- depending upon me doing my job; every day; faultlessly.

But I do feel a weary readiness -- well, not quite -- to succumb to a restart; but I know it's my Duty to instill order, cohesion and meaning in this Program.

It'd be the same, done again, anyway.

"Only the weak start over", my Chief Instructor at the Academy drummed into us.

d4GF5h1.png

Not much quiet time on the Flight Deck, but occasionally I like to check in on the flights out there I haven't heard from in a while.  And in truth, am struggling to remember at all.

This is Kontiki above.  (So KAC informs me.)

It has 4 km/s delta.  7 souls onboard.  Destination appears to be Eve and an intercept has been plotted.  A maneuver in 44d.  It has an ion booster, but I don't recall its marqueRecords will have that.  I'd publish Kontiki but have no clue yet whether it will perform flawlessly.  (It could be irresponsible to send even more Kerbals to their doom, ignorantly?)

I don't envy the job of the descent to the Eve surface that Kontiki seems intended for...?  May Luck travel with this ship, in the company of its crew...

Command is the loneliest job.

Edited by Hotel26

(1.8.1) Well, as anticipated, I didn't get anything else done after my late afternoon post on Monday, and Tuesday wound up being an abbreviated day thanks to the game deciding to try to use too much RAM at an inopportune time coupled with a late drop off at work, which killed off the early morning session. So today's going to be fairly minimal.

My day began with the freshly launched Nonne Ardere Yards over Moho. The shipyard's SAFER reactors were fired up and the mass driver brought on-line, after which the shipyard received its first shipment of fuel, Rocket Parts and Xenon Gas from the Aban Pearl outpost on the Mohoan surface. Thus supplied, the shipyard began construction on an Ikeport Core 7 Station destined to become space station Mohoport. Construction is estimated at 46 hours and 23 minutes to completion, with one resupply necessary here in a few Kerbin days.

My KAC calendar was completely open after work began at NAY, so I had the option to either send up a pair of straggling tourists to LSV House Atreides in high Kerbin orbit so that she could begin her long-delayed interplanetary tourist mission or to bring LSV House Corrino home from Eeloo. After careful consideration, I went against my original plan and brought Corrino home.

FxyY1AT.png
House Corrino heading out. She'll be back here before I know it.

Corrino broke orbit over Eeloo and warped to Kerbin, arriving at 9,476.8 m/s; it took 22 warp-backs for the ship to bleed off sufficient speed to enter a 555.8 by 473.6 kilometer, 1.26° inclined orbit. Once in orbit, Corrino received a shipment of Rocket Parts via mass driver from the South Base outpost near KSC and began construction of a TBD 7e Moho base-seeding rover/lander, which will deliver the system's final initial outpost to Eeloo once permission to land is received. The Moho lander design should be more than sufficient for an Eeloo landing. Construction time on the lander is expected to be around 6.5 hours total with two scheduled resupplies. 

With construction of the TBD underway, the G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft that Corrino had hauled out to Eeloo from Kerbin departed, burning from Corrino's position to a 554.9 x 100.3 kilometer, 0.46° orbit initially. While waiting for the craft to reach periapsis, tourists Kerwin and Burtop Kerman along with recent rescuee scientist Samdock Kerman boarded an Auk XV 3-passenger spaceplane; the original plan had been just for the tourists to ride up in an Auk Ia but I remembered that I wanted to get Samdock back up to space station Kerbinport and since the tourists were headed that direction, the opportunity was there to take care of that. The tourists wound up spending over an hour sitting on the tarmac waiting for Kerbinport to come into position at a point where the G-LOC wasn't going to need to maneuver, a situation that didn't present itself until the craft was already on the ground as it turned out...

WfPnyYR.png
Ordinarily I'd be thrilled to have a G-LOC land this close to the space center, but a part of me was worried it'd hit the plane this time around. Managed to give it a wide berth though.

The G-LOC was recovered successfully, landing 2.4 kilometers west-northwest of the space center to clear the current exploration contract. The next exploration contract calls for a spacewalk and crew transfer over Eeloo, which I've elected to handle when Corrino can return. A satellite contract for Bop was also offered and accepted, closing out the day yesterday.

This morning it was finally time to get the plane airborne.

5KkXSh1.png
(Airborne? Spaceborne? Starborne? Can't really decide on the proper term here...).

The craft broke atmosphere ten minutes later and burned to set up a rendezvous with Kerbinport. Rendezvous will take place in fourteen minutes time; before that occurs, the first resupply shot to House Corrino will take place.

So time permitting today I'll be getting the last few tourists up to House Atreides, after which she'll finally be able to head out with 46 tourists aboard. I'll have to get the plane back down at some point; I may just go ahead and have it head back to Kerbinport for now and land it later, but I haven't really decided what I'll do there just yet. I need to go ahead and get construction on that Bop probe going but that should be straightforward enough, and I may once again delay it for the sake of Atreides's mission. Ship's first stop is Dres, where she'll be dropping off nine colonists for the Sleipnir A outpost on the surface. Moho will be up after that, with one lousy tourist wanting to visit orbit (couldn't settle for a simple flyby, no...had to be orbit....). Longer term, House Corrino will be heading back to Eeloo. The activities she needs to do there are simple enough and I'm hopeful that permission for landing will be granted at that point. i already have a scout rover in Eeloo orbit ready to land as soon as the word is given, and with Corrino already in orbit a ground outpost will hopefully be quick to follow - going to depend on the outcome of the scout rover's mission. Still going to be looking for windows of opportunity to do the survey missions on Laythe and Eve as well. Hopefully the day goes well and I'll have a bit more to report to y'all tomorrow.

Edited by capi3101
fixing italics. Because the universe will cease to exist otherwise...

17 hours ago, Delay said:

Been patching more and more for the last few days. Almost done with all parts of the "Aero" category!

[snip]

Aside from these I have completed all solar panels, batteries, TCS, landing gears and wheels... a LOT of parts!
I might want to consider starting my own thread some time soon.

Looking good; gotta love how the updated shaders actually show some environment light effects on the parts.  Something I sorely miss whenever I have to use parts that still use the stock shaders...  Excellent work on these conversions.

If/when you do start your own thread, you'll have at least one instant subscriber :)

Upgraded to KSP 1.9.1 and then upgraded mods and then some UI adjustments that didn't transfer over. Test run and my Minmus lander doesn't leap off the surface anymore. Yippee!!! Seems to run smoother..  the stutter every 5 seconds is gone too!

7 hours ago, Dan Kerman said:

Upgraded to KSP 1.9.1 and then upgraded mods and then some UI adjustments that didn't transfer over. Test run and my Minmus lander doesn't leap off the surface anymore. Yippee!!! Seems to run smoother..  the stutter every 5 seconds is gone too!

yees 1.9.1. is amazing, it runs smooth and much nicer graphics

what do you mean your lander doesnt leap off surface anymore?? my modules still jump after timewarping - both on Mun and Minmus

Edited by papuchalk

Still puttering around with my Wings career.

I said I'd fly a plane by the Mun and dagnabbit I flew a plane by the Mun. This is not, repeat, NOT, the easiest, most efficient, or generally best way to do that, but who cares? -- Anyway, both planes performed well enough. The lifter plane is a bit less stable on re-entry than I intended, I lost control when it hit thicker air but was able to put it into a steep dive and then regain it. If I decide to iterate on it I'll move the CoM forward a little, or the CoL back a little. It did make orbit pretty efficiently, it had just a hair over 3400 m/s on it and got an Ap over 135 km with a few drops left for the deorbit burn.

The Munar module was fine. Dropped that one right on the Dessert Airfield. Aimed for that with the lifter but because of the incident with the loss of control I didn't quite make it.

Scatterer works great on 1.9.1 by the way, if you force DX12 and use a few custom configs. Check the development thread for details.

hgjjN53.png

x8KqdMz.png

i1vBLca.png

V96Oxqe.png

KIVmqTI.png

15 hours ago, papuchalk said:

yees 1.9.1. is amazing, it runs smooth and much nicer graphics

what do you mean your lander doesnt leap off surface anymore?? my modules still jump after timewarping - both on Mun and Minmus

I had the problem with my Minmus lander where, whenever another craft came within physics range, 2.3 km.. it would leap up and crash. Had something  to do with how landed objects sat on/slightly below the actual surface and would create stability issues.. World Stabilizer mod didn't help so waited until 1.9.1 was released to upgrade.