What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Finally ended the fourth year in my Out of the Sands career - full details here

Most of the highlights have already been posted the last few days, but the probe fly-by's of all the Joolian moons was the biggest success

Ysr1wJQ.png

I also upgraded my Falcon spaceplane, replacing the Panther with a Whiplash and adding a little extra fuel

zhyc80y.png

And finally got around to sending a greenhouse to my Minmus station

zqmqenX.png

I flew a second mission with the yet-to-be-named spaceplane combo, slightly tuned aerodynamics. Man is aero tuning a game of push-me-pull-you. This time it was much easier to bring down, but significantly draggier to fly up. In fact I just missed making orbit with the pair by I would estimate a few tens of m/s -- the mission was still a success as I detached the Mun plane and circularised with that, then flew the lifter down on its suborbital trajectory. The return was much easier although it is still a hair too neutral for comfort when empty -- it has enough control authority to stall pretty much any time so you have to be quite light on the controls.

So it's too nose-heavy on the way up while being a bit too tail-happy on the way down. Solution -> move both elevators and payload back a little. The elevator move ought to make it stabler on the way down, and the payload move ought to make it less nose-heavy on the way up. ONE DAY IT WILL BE PERFECT and also obsolete due to better tech

3 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

What mod do you use for that?

The clamp is Ven's, the blue shine is because I have specified a map for TU to use and that map doesn't exist, so it defaults to 100% specularity.

Also, we're just going to ignore that glaring issue, I suppose?

Edited by Delay

This is Spearhead.  It's my first serious use of the Mk3 Cargo Bay to deliver anything to space.  The intended payload is 4x Spear MP tugs.  I just completed my first, successful, intact landing and am quite chuffed, actually.

dCdnDkD.png   MdE303F.png

nvh1Idx.png   pFIH26w.png

The fourth shot (on the ground) is the (final) version with 4x Wheesleys.

Spearhead is VLHR (Vertical Liftoff and Horizontal Return) and is designed with the capability for a 2-stage re-entry: "Hohmann Transfer from 70km circ to 50km circ".  Speed decays harmlessly at 50km until ready for the final descent.  Final LOX retrograde burn to leave nothing but 1,400 units of LF in the wing tanks, pre-balanced for maneuever to landing.  Range in level flight is 500+ kms.

Edited by Hotel26

Just can't get enough of ship and planes at the moment.

Today I built and had fun flying this plane inspired by the Fairchild Republic A-10 Warthog. Called mine the Kindahog, maybe C-10 if I carry some cargo.

Not an exact replica, I know. But close enough for me to enjoy and really lovely to fly at any speed.

o5p8Vvs.jpg
n4bIRWY.jpg
9YxS0K0.jpg
X7wGhWN.jpg
EHcZ3Cb.jpg

Flying a few laps in a hard circle around the VAB

...before I got it into an unrecoverable flat spin :P. Pilot survived though ;)

And finally some footage of flybys, and aerobatics, over ships, KSC, and the beautiful hills.

Edited by Maverick_aus
learning youtube :P

3 hours ago, Maverick_aus said:

Today I built and had fun flying this plane

Wonderful work!!  I SO want to fly this...

Please let me down gently.  It's not stock, is it.  And you don't have a KerbalX site (yet)...

...going to be impossible to unsee this!  Thanks for the videos.  "Stay under the radar, guy!"

While I am here, today's jet, a BD-5J:

N8acwpo.png

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

Wonderful work!!  I SO want to fly this...

Please let me down gently.  It's not stock, is it.  And you don't have a KerbalX site (yet)...

...going to be impossible to unsee this!  Thanks for the videos.  "Stay under the radar, guy!"

While I am here, today's jet, a BD-5J:...

@Hotel26, Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed it! First vids I have posted, so lots of mucking around - glad somebody enjoyed it!
At the moment, sadly, sorry not stock.
But if you want, I could easily stock-ify it, without too much loss.
You inspired me. Now I have a KerbalX entry: https://kerbalx.com/Maverick_aus/Kindahog-C-10-from-the-A-10-Warthog

BD-5J is cool. I was curious where the air intake is though...maybe I'll d/l and have a look

1 hour ago, Maverick_aus said:

I was curious where the air intake is though

https://kerbalx.com/Hotel26/BD-5J/parts  The parts list reveals it has a single intake. The upper intake-tank-Juno assembly is radial-mounted and clipped into place.

I was aiming for an approximation of the real jet's phenomenal TWR:1, which mainly results from its extremely light weight.  (It goes way too fast, though, but Kerbals ain't complaining...)

But if you want, I could easily stock-ify it

Yes, please!  Especially now that you have a KerbalX site, I'm sure you'll get tons of downloads on both versions!  So it would be worth your time to everyone at large (said with appreciation).

It was mainly the nose/cockpit, I identified as foreign parts, but there could be more...

Edited by Hotel26

But if you want, I could easily stock-ify it, without too much loss.

Just an fyi,

Although Mods can be a lot of fun, you will find that Stock builds are more appreciated here and on Kerbal-X

18 hours ago, Castille7 said:

Just an fyi,

Although Mods can be a lot of fun, you will find that Stock builds are more appreciated here and on Kerbal-X

Cheers @Castille7.

@Hotel26 (and anyone else) here's the stock A-10. I remade it from scratch for you. Plus some extra, more realistic details. Once i got into it, trying to modify the other one ended up with wrong scale. Ended up better than original. Put some fuel (or armour plates!) in, it's TWR is a little high at the moment. Also it's a little snappy, so you could back off the aileron authority if you want.

Enjoy.

https://kerbalx.com/Maverick_aus/A-10-Warthog-stock

iekAKdF.png
NwwjAMa.png
4iSYe6M.png
AtgPmBb.png

Hi guys still postponing developing in the kerbal space program as developing more at car mechanic simulator 2018 if i finally won with the instlaling it on the ubuntu steam iw ould proceed faster but having new set:https://rocketlaunches.webnode.com/second-launches/

with the engines and other pars pushes to do some engineering work and development.

Much love:>

Keeps the things together.

Jeb had a serious mishap (don't all stories tend to start this way?) with a spaceplane departing Minmus.  After ISRU refueling, the Star Ranger was too heavy to point the nose upward on takeoff using reaction wheels.  So Jeb decided to employ the assistance of a nearby hill for its natural rampy-ness.  Unfortunately, Jeb was a bit aggressive on the pitch and managed to destroy all 4 RAPIER main engines during the takeoff.  Eeeek!

We still had our single nuclear engine and since there were no docking options for this bare-bones craft, AND we had a TOURIST on board!  (roll eyes)  Jeb made the decision that we could make our way safely back to Kerbin, de-orbit, and hopefully end up somewhere near the KSC for recovery.

As the plan unfolded, the safest landing alternative involved ditching the spaceplane in the water near the KSC.  This resulted in a rescue/recovery mission I had not anticipated!  My amphibious hovercraft was able to retrieve the spaceplane and return it to the KSC for a full recovery (sans Rapiers of course, Jeb lost those on takeoff). 

Spoiler

Puffer1.jpg

Puffer2.jpg

Puffer3.jpg

Following this successful rescue and recovery of important science, the Pufferfish was officially sanctioned for duty with my elite Rescue Squad team!

I've experimented a little with ships using Far Future Technologies.

Presenting you, KSS Venture, powered by 'Cochrane' Beam-Core antimatter engine:

Pdy0PdU.png

Still need to iron out a few kinks related to fusion reactor's behavior at the highest time-warps, but overall I'm pretty happy with this initial stage of the ship. Next I'll need to setup docking points on the main beam (somewhere around the fuel tanks) and then import design into the career to use it once I have unlocked the tech (and bought the parts -- that engine is really expensive...)

There are a couple of road/driving challenges I'm interested in, so I built a Baja Buggy....that is more race car, but whatever floats my boat, eh? :D

wwEBhjn.png