What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I finally got BDB's awesome Saturn V working really nice on my JNSQ install and made it to the Mun. Even landed the LM on it too. (well in my day it was the L.E.M as Jethro Tull so sings about it on the Benefit album, lol)

JNSQmoon3.jpg

Spoiler

JNSQmoon4.jpg

JNSQmoon5.jpg

JNSQmoon6.jpg

With the sound of a Saturn V and the view of JNSQ quarter scale realism , I felt like I was there.

JNSQmoon7.jpg

JNSQmoon8.jpg

JNSQmoon10.jpg

41 minutes ago, Retro Starship said:

I finally got BDB's awesome Saturn V working really nice on my JNSQ install and made it to the Mun. Even landed the LM on it too. (well in my day it was the L.E.M as Jethro Tull so sings about it on the Benefit album, lol)

Hello @Retro Starship, really nice!

It seems that we are doing similar things :)

I am doing the same but for Earth/Moon here, I will post the videos soon:

6fBBBVv.png

cf1UCWF.png

JupG32R.png

rzzxI3X.png

tYSFydq.png

NxY7fIr.png

6KK6Kzg.png

ictMuZJ.png

Nothing for now but in like 20 mins I will design a Mun rocket!

I am also planning to change my profile photo of the forum.

5 hours ago, Kryten 2X4B 523P said:

I havent played for ages, currently in isolation die to this virus.

So I went to the mun. 

E62E792F6B5B0907584D944CF4D3CF39CA33A118

This screenshot is so cool!

Just recently I discovered that optimised gravity turns gather speeds only slightly higher than spaceplanes, so I wondered if a rocket with R.A.P.I.E.R.s would work and how efficient they are ?

So by start of last week I did design a SSTO stage for a 36 payload, which happens to be a little overpowered complete return science lab to land on the mun. And after some tweaking on construction and flight engineer support....

FQRLgI2.png

it worked ! :D

Going from 3 Vector to 1 Vector and 12 Rapier saved around 38% wet mass on the SSTO stage going down from ~210t to 130t :o. I never got too fancied about spaceplanes because for bigger payloads proper air balance is a time consuming exercise, but this is about as easy as designing a rocket once you know the dV requirements. The Rapiers do start in closed cycle to assist with rocket lift off, around 200 m/s I do switch them to air breathing mode, throttle later back the only Vector to save fuel. When rapiers get near their speed limit - still below the ceiling altitude for air breathing - everything is throttled back up and switched to closed cycle. And all piloted by MechJebs Gravity Turn :)

So next step: Automate flight engineer tasks in MechJeb :cool:

Oh and I installed some near future mod with bigger dual mode engines for needs with bigger SSTO.

Hey there.

Today Jeb went to the KSS in an experimental One Kerbal SSTO.

He did get there and docked in spite of being low on fuel and not having any RCS thrusters.

yzCXOBV.png

He won his bet with Bill.

Unfortunately he is stuck there as he doesn't have enough LF (5.88 Units) to deorbit.

He has to be rescued of course but no one is in a hurry to get him back.

He is in a comfortable place and can wait.

ME

After the Mun flyby of my 1.9.1 career, I decided to do some tourist flybys for extra cash, so uprated MunFlyBy1 to a new triple podded and extra boostered MunFlyBy2, and sent Bob back to the Mun with a couple of passengers.

QAqE3ho.png

I'm glad I went for a free return trajectory, that 37m/s dV remaining!

Dropping the Kerbin periapsis from the initial 57km to my usual approach of 40km used a further 4m/s so they got back with 33m/s to spare.  That's plenty right?

2 hours ago, GEPEG_Unconscious said:

Sometimes I get distracted by what I could use on a mission instead of working on what I actually need.

I feel you, man.

• How exactly did you get that photo, anyway? Last I checked, the KSC was located within a grassy area right next to a beach; not some wasteland.

(In Tune of "Evil Jingle") Doofenshmirtz in a Mun Crater

Te9Qb3O.png

Spoiler

Now imagine Heinz Doofenshmirtz narrating this post.

• By the way, if someone says that you can't hear pictures, this picture (or even one of the building it's supposed to mimic) should prove them wrong.

You see, being forced into social isolation due to the Kerbonavirus has gotten me bored. So, I did what I always do and thought of a complicated solution to a simple problem. I then built a replica of my building and mounted it on a rocket - which... costs more than the base itself. Once the sun was up, I launched from the KSC and landed in one of the Mun's northwest craters. "Why the Mun?" you ask. Simple: I can't get the virus if I'm not even on Kerbin... and don't say that I could have just picked Minmus. I can also get a good view of Kerbin from here, not to mention that the... good base spots are crowded. Now, I can take control of the tri-crater area while nobody mooches off my Wi-Fi and/or risks infecting me.

Pretty cool, huh?

14 minutes ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:
  • How exactly did you get that photo, anyway? Last I checked, the KSC was located within a grassy area right next to a beach; not some wasteland.

This KSC is on Nodens, not Kerbin, from GEP.

I'm slowly going through and exploring each planet in this system and seeing what there is to be seen. 

Looks like my contracts free career game is on the final straight, with Val taking a trip to Laythe with a spaceplane.

Jeb's in tow with the return vehicle (he's currently in orbit of Jool).

JTrebwL.png

Val meanwhile has made it down on the surface of Laythe, which was a nerve wracking jouney to the surface, due to the craft nosediving until the nose began to lift just a couple of km above the surface.

Landing site is at 1.4km ASL, which contributed to the issue, but at least is a little closer to orbital when the time comes to leave.

DNMEygm.png

H3wQTlm.png

HCiZAW2.png

rolTtrr.png

EH9TsOk.png

The V.A.B. Advanced Research Team had tried, and failed, before to conceive an ECO (Engineering Change Order) to retrofit all Zephyr booster cores to be re-entrant & re-usable.  Landing legs to protect the most valuable component -- the engine -- simply would not reach far enough...

Gen. Icarus I. Kerman (2 stars) came by to find out what the hang-up was.

After a perfunctory survey and a withering glance, Kerman's only comment: "I-beams, you duff-bags!"

kszec7g.png

Meanwhile, I have my first, real, fake space station (KISS), split into sub-assemblies.  (I haven't used Subassemblies since before Load begat Merge...!)

Makes it a cinch to plop them on top of the lifter-of-the-day.

Edited by Hotel26

On 3/21/2020 at 11:36 AM, Kryten 2X4B 523P said:

I havent played for ages, currently in isolation die to this virus.

So I went to the mun. 

E62E792F6B5B0907584D944CF4D3CF39CA33A118

Witch mod is those suits? Ilove them!

14 hours ago, NHunter said:

Exploration of Gateway begins

xXP2b91.png

are you using 1.9? In that case, witch mods are you using for those visuals?

Hey y'all. Reports of my demise from coronovirus have been greatly, but not entirely exaggerated. No, my struggle has been with the somewhat lesser known heinekenphage...

Been a couple of weeks since I last reported on this thread; last entry was on March 11th, to be precise (so long post ahead). At that time I had been attempting to get LSV House Corrino from orbit over Kerbin to Eeloo while still continuing LSV House Atreides's ongoing tourism and colonization mission, with the ship ready to head to Bop from orbit of Pol. My day on the 11th began with House Corrino's warp out to Eeloo.

ioGIluZ.png
Corrino heading out yet again. This one's historic or I might not have posted the screenie...

The ship attempted a new set of maneuvers over Jool to bleed off the speed necessary to enter orbit at Eeloo, arriving at a Jool flyby speed of 11,460 m/s. She conducted three warpback maneuvers before departing Jool's SOI having bled off some 6500 m/s of speed in the process. She arrived at Eeloo at 1,421 m/s, only needing to bleed off another thousand m/s or so before slowing sufficiently to enter orbit. Owing to a botched time warp after the fifth warpback, she actually slowed down too much and it was necessary to conduct a conventional burn to establish a 432 by 122 kilometer, 4.81° inclined orbit.

6nKdg76.png
This is what happens when you accidentally push the period key too many times when you wanted to be pressing the comma key...

Total time for Corrino at warp was nine hours and 36 minutes, with seven of those hours accountable due to the timewarp slip up. It was a pretty big error...

Once in orbit, scientist Lageremy Kerman along with engineers Sigzer and Necale Kerman boarded the TBD 7e Moho lander that Corrino was carrying in its drydock. Once boarded and final checks were completed, the TBD was cut loose from the drydock. Mission commander pilot Neilrey Kerman then was tasked with completing the two requirements for the current exploration mission, which was to conduct a spacewalk while in orbit of Eeloo and transfer crew between two vessels in Eeloo orbit. To do this, he went EVA from one of Corrino's Bigby Orbital Workshop modules.

qACypIU.png
Make sure you shut the door behind you, Neilrey! Don't leave it open like you did last time!!!

qTvhfHM.png
House Corrino - a house where all the children have gone. No, more empty even than that. The death of Spock is like an open w....oh, sorry. Started quoting Star Trek III there for a second. It is odd to see the ship with so few crew remaining now, though.

Neilrey then jetpacked over to the recently departed TBD and boarded the craft. As hoped, this satisfied the requirements for the exploration mission, so from there I proceeded to Mission Control in the hope that permission to land on the surface would be granted. My hopes, as it turned out, were not in vain.

wEyyNCh.png
Kick ass.

With permission to land granted, the TBD proceeded to burn down to a 35.8 by 34.8 kilometer, 0.23° inclined orbit in preparations for landing. After a quick redesign of the Phase 2 base-building module, the landing of the Hellhound 7 rover and skycrane I had left in orbit over Eeloo after Corrino's first visit to the planet rook place, with the lander setting down in the Highlands 360.6 meters to the west-southwest of the designated target zone. The rover, designated Oscar 1, drove the remaining distance to the landing site, which proved to be almost exactly on the indicated Highlands/Midlands interface - indeed, it was so close that it caused me trouble later in the week. Having verified the viability of the site, Oscar 1 plowshared the region and the TBD landing took place. 

mjKtFeY.png
This is usually about the time that you sneeze and wind up plowing the damn thing into the ground as a result...

The landing was a success and the rover detached without incident, driving 545.5 meters to the northeast to the target zone to close out the day.

bythH1y.png
Well, we're here. Where's the porta-john supposed to be again?

The day on the 12th, unfortunately, had to be completely reverted and repeated on the 13th; as mentioned, I had gotten the target point almost right on the Highlands/Midlands interface, and when the initial base went up I discovered that the game credited its placement to the Midlands. This was unacceptable - the chief resource of RareMetals was present in the Highlands but not so the Midlands, so the game wasn't bringing any up via the drills. It took me three tries (i.e. reverts and one full backup restoration) on the 13th moving the initial base structure around, but ultimately I moved it sufficiently to put the base in the Highlands. Engineer Sigzer Kerman did the work in all four attempts, bringing the Montara Wellhead outpost on the surface of Eeloo, the last planned surface outpost anywhere in the Kerbol surface, online.

ZkLQkis.png
Montara Wellhead on the surface of Eeloo. Doesn't look like much in this screenshot, but don't worry: eventually she'll look like every other base I've got...

Once the initial base structures were up - including the initial Rangeland launchpad - and the crew was aboard, the crew began printing up a Phase 2 module to finish preparation of the remaining base structures. Construction time there was three hours and eight minutes. With some time to kill, I decided I could go ahead and afford to have House Atreides proceed with her mission after a nearly nineteen hour delay (part of which was due to getting Corrino over to Eeloo). Atreides broke orbit over Pol and proceeded to bleed off what little speed was necessary to head to Bop, eventually arriving at 226.4 m/s and establishing herself in a 163.2 by 35.6 kilometer, 56.96° inclined orbit to close out the day on the 13th. Total time at warp was a mere eight minutes and 32 seconds.

The heinekenphage kept me home from work last week while the higher-ups put together a game plan, so there's not too much to report for this past week although I did get a fair amount done on certain days. One of those days was Monday, which began with House Atreides over Bop. Tourists Alger, Neilner and Theofen Kerman boarded Roy Hinkley docked to House Atreides and departed for space station Bopport, docking at the station after a one hour and 47 minute flight. Upon arrival the three kerbals transferred to the Crater Maker 7 8-passenger lander docked at the station (the only one available capable of carrying more than two kerbals at once) and departed, landing shortly thereafter in the Peaks.

y8vyW07.png
30°, eh? That's a very minor slope...

Meanwhile, the Phase 2 module was completed at Montara. Once the stored base structures were transferred into storage at the existing base the module's storage containers were recycled and Sigzer busied went EVA to continue installation. Base construction took up the rest of the day on the 16th and the entire day on Tuesday, with the base's central spine completed and the remaining Hacienda modules attached but not inflated pending the necessary Equipment production.  

Next session was on Thursday, when the Crater Maker's launch window to return to Bopport came around. The Crater Maker lifted off the suface of Bop and proceeded to a rendezvous and docking seven minutes later. Once docked, the three tourists returned to Roy Hinkley and departed shortly after taking on fuel supplies. The Bohai 2 outpost on Bop's surface shot up replenishment fuel supplies via mass driver shortly after Hinkley's departure and also drilled up 500 units of ore for an ongoing ore delivery con-job contract I have for good measure. Hinkley's return flight to House Atreides took 2 hours and 48 minutes, during which time the remaining Hacienda modules at Montara were inflated, with one Chuckwagon storage module and an exterior light installed as well. At this point the game suffered a glitch that cost me the lone screwdriver I had at Montara, so from there it was off to the VAB for a redesign of the Black & Decker 7 tool delivery module. Redesign complete, one was ordered up at Montara with a print time of just two and a half minutes (it was an exceptionally simple redesign). Once printed, the base was flush with screwdrivers and the rest of the Chuckwagons and exterior lights were installed, completing the tent city portion of the base; Konkrete production for the construction of the base's permanent structures began in earnest at that point. 

Around that same time, I received word from the Nonne Ardere Yards in orbit of Moho: the print of the Ikeport Core 7 Station that had been ongoing there for the past several days was finally completed. The new station was finalized, at which point supplies of fuel, Enriched Uranium, Xenon Gas and Rocket Parts were shot up to the shipyard from the Aban Pearl outpost on the surface. With the supply mission complete, the new space station Mohoport launched from NAY and maneuvered to bring itself into a 100.5 by 99.6 kilometer, 0.34° inclined orbit.

nk3G4by.png
Space station Mohoport. It's hard to get Kerbol, a craft and a planet in the same screenshot together, certainly not without the craft being horribly backlit...

Shortly after Mohoport arrived in its final orbit, Roy Hinkley arrived back at House Atreides and docked without incident. Once Hinkley was secure, House Atreides broke orbit over Bop and proceeded to do a flyby of Vall, performing an inadvertent flyby of Tylo in the process. The flyby of Vall turned out to be inadvertent too - while I did have a number of tourists that had a Vall flyby scheduled, one of them wanted to go to orbit, a fact I missed until after I'd already proceeded to Laythe orbit and was double-checking contracts at the end of the session. Incidentally, the ship arrived at Laythe at 1,267 m/s, slow enough to directly enter a 1,018.1 by 933.1 kilometer, 6.7° inclined orbit. Total time at warp was seventeen minutes and six seconds.

The day on Friday began with House Atreides, where pilots Gwenlock and Gregeny Kerman aboard Strange Cargo and Necessary Evil docked to Atreides respectively gave up their command seats for the sake of passenger delivery; it was time for the big show to begin. Colonists Danler, Mazon, Danlie, Ellmund, Joerim, Wehrner, Genefurt, Bartney, Halgar, Munmore, Tomeny, Jesemy, Chadfal, Berburry, Tilan, Lening, Ribdock, Tikin, Newvan and Viroly Kerman along with tourists Maxpond, Janfrey and Hilsey Kerman boarded Strange Cargo, Necessary Evil and Gilligan all docked to Atreides. Fuel supplies were transferred to the three ferry ships and they began the process of heading towards space station Laytheport, where an Auk XVII 24-passenger spaceplane was already fueled and waiting to take them all down to the the C. P. Baker outpost on the surface. Strange Cargo departed first, followed by Necessary Evil and Gilligan last. Jeb did his usual amount of showboating and managed to get Gilligan there first after a mere 36 minute flight, despite leaving a full twenty minutes after Strange Cargo.

2LkLMik.png
Jeb burned up a hell of a lot of fuel showboating, the jerk. 

Strange Cargo's final flight time to Laytheport was 88 minutes and Necessary Evil's was 79 minutes; NE arrived a mere two minutes after SC, not enough time to put her into dock.

YjuEHXm.png
Didn't really want to get into a two-ships-at-once scenario - that's why I staggered the departures of the various craft - but thing happen, you know...

The twin rendezvous of Strange Cargo and Necessary Evil at Laytheport were the last things that have happened so far in my career save, and with the ongoing heinekenphage and the havoc it has wrought upon my working schedule, things may not go back to normal play-time wise for the foreseeable future. But at least I got a log entry made for y'all...

So at this point the plan is to get the ferries docked up at Laytheport, get their passengers offloaded to the plane, get Strange Cargo and Necessary Evil headed back to House Atreides and get everybody down to Baker. The three tourists will be heading back up when they're joy ride is complete and Gilligan will be waiting to take them back. Once Gilligan returns, Atreides still has stops at Vall, Duna and Ike to go before she'll be heading back to Kerbin's SOI, and before everything's said and done she's scheduled to head to Mun and Minmus. Meanwhile, base building at Montara Wellhead will be continuing as time and resources allow. Once the main Castillo dome is up and running the process of Rock melting will commence and it should take far less time than normal to get the remaining permanent base structures up and running. Space station construction for Eeloo will commence once the base is finished, and once the two stations are up I will at long last have completed the infrastructure needed to have a permanent kerbal presence at every world in the Kerbol system. Indeed, I can say that as of this post that I have accomplished that long-standing personal goal. Not sure where I'll wind up going from there. Contracts not currently wrapped up in Atreides's or Corrino's missions include a satellite contract over Bop, an aerial survey at Laythe and another one at Eve; I hope to be able to get to those relatively soon. I'll be sure to keep y'all posted; hope everybody's doing okay out there.

Edited by capi3101
posted early, apparently. Had to fix screenies, too.

8 hours ago, juvilado said:

Witch mod is those suits? Ilove them!

They're in the Breaking Ground DLC. In the crew selection panel in the VAB/SPH, you have to click the small coat-hanger icon next to the Kerbal's name to switch the suits. The icon is tiny, so it's easy to miss.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

10 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

They're in the Breaking Ground DLC. In the crew selection panel in the VAB/SPH, you have to click the small coat-hanger icon next to the Kerbal's name to switch the suits. The icon is tiny, so it's easy to miss.

Ahm , im afraid i dont have the dlc, only the original game from the website...

3 minutes ago, juvilado said:

Ahm , im afraid i dont have the dlc, only the original game from the website...

The DLCs should be available from the website. I would highly recommend both of them if you have some spare funds :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x