What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, RoninFrog said:

"3-2-1 We have liftoff!  All systems are go!  Uh, nevermind, not all systems are go!"

u1y6hX9.jpg

Sorry, Jeb.

Gene: "Why were you checking your watch a lot before the launch? We were already counting down."

Bill: "I guess it's because... because I'm Kirba."

I finally released a video that was a long time coming - an in-depth look at one of the more unique Navy aircraft ever. The P6M Seamaster was an attempt to create a nuclear-armed, submarine-servicable, seaplane bomber (in case it wasn't obvious already, this was during the 50's). Enjoy the video!

The Seamaster craft can be found here: https://kerbalx.com/servo/P6M-Seamaster

I was in a Project Orion mood, but the existent Orion mods that I know of haven't been updated since KSP 1.3.1.
So I coded my own.
Queue the next few hours spent testing fooling around with it, which main consisted of repeatedly nuking the KSC (Incidentally! In the name of !!Science!!).
Still have to work out kinks like dV calcs, but no big deal - it's Orion. (In a way, finding dV is unnecessary - does the vessel have the dV to go to [X]? Yes.)
5kBnSw0.png
Jeb performs his Magnum Opus: 2! Hundred! Atom! Bombs!: A nuclear cacophony, in D minor.

First, I landed a probe in the Dres Canyon:

TlQcpXB.png

Here it, is tipped over in all its glory, and,

tywoqXf.png

C0mmiaU.png

I built a science "jetpack" of some sorts, one that works on both Kerbin and (most) other celestial objects (mainly intended for Minmus, Ike, Gilly, Dres, Moho, etc.)! With 1400 m/s of ASL dV!

So as I said in my previous post I went to Minmus today!

OwWWGf3.png

The rocket was the same as the mun rocket with the only exepcion being that I removed the extra engines from the lander

The Total DeltaV of the rocket was above 6000(the deltaV indicator displayed it wrong due to how the stages were placed)so I guess I have my Duna launcher set up!(I'm not gonna lie I think I can go to Sarnus with that launcher)

cDd0jmW.png

A bit more into the launching and I decided to decouple the 1st stage(still had 1000 deltaV)

jcPbvZO.png

Once in orbit I started burning to Minmus, the time to get there was 5 days

aRxsQhf.png

Shot of the lander coupled with the main ship

nNFXIng.png

Once orbiting Minmus I dumped the transfer stage and decoupled the lander to start the decend

82eH61r.png

I decided to wait in orbit until a flat place to land apeared 

DzHPnGE.png

Once above a nice spot to land I killed the horizontal velocity and started a slow descend

Eqdr0iw.png

And landed!..BTW i'm really liking the idle animations.

WXYjkYH.png

After getting a few samples of the surface of Minmus for the local ice cream store I headed back into orbit to dock with the main vessel

iUcpZQJ.png

A few orbital manuvers later I was heading straight to Kerbin,I entered the atmosphere at 3200m/s so I decided to keep the other stage and the lander near me to see some explosions(I was disapointed thought)

BOvOvjm.png

And a few minutes later I was back on the ground!

Tomorrow I'l send a probe to  land on Duna!

Ever since I read/listened to the Randall Munroe book How To, and in particular the section that mentioned the logistics of moving a house with jet engines, I've wanted to try it. Today I did.

After 3 evenings of work (last week, yesterday and today), I finally finished the house in question and fitted some jet engine pods for VTOL.
sGhCtjW.jpg
This has probably got to be one of the least airworthy things I have made that wasn't some ground test platform (and as a furnished aesthetic build, something outside my typical style).

Once it was finished came the testing and refining …
dyuGk69.jpg

QrDFZhG.jpg

I7w3rLf.jpg
… there's still a ways to go on that front.

Possibly the most surprising thing I've discovered so far is that with the notable exception of the solar panels, this house is remarkably resilient, often coming to a rest in one piece (minus the jet engine pods and solar panels) and with no injuries to the two Kerbals on the verandah.

AviosAdku

Edited by AviosAdku
Adjusting Formatting, adding final remark

I made some progress on constructing the Sunbeam, a transfer vehicle that will be operating missions to Eve, and possibly Moho. 

69Mqajn.jpg

It looks a little awkward right now because the radial tanks haven't been attached yet. The IPCV 330 design it's built from includes a centrifuge arm, but since the Sunbeam won't need to go any further than Kerbin's orbit I'm saving that for the next few ships.

uX071jk.png

Now that I have a tourist space station and think I will put one into a 60-deg inclined orbit around the Mun,
probably at some altitude like 20km, I thought it might be nice to have a cruiser to go lower for a closer look.

And use the same to land at the equator to exchange passengers.

[click & arrows for slideshow]

So I started working on Toboggan.  I wanted something sleek, lightweight and in a Mk-1 format.  I didn't like that original so went through 2 more variations:

zKBL9Tg.png   dYFQDuQ.png

(ugly and ugly)

before arriving at Toboggan IV:

dI79ouD.png   Iao5Uap.png

It doesn't quite have enough dV to make a round trip to/fro orbit, so I may sneak an (ugly) Oscar or two back into the engine pods.

It's a vertical lander that falls on its wheels, allowing taxi for fuel and passengers; but it needs a small hill with a gentle slope to reboot into space -- which is why it is called Toboggan.

Edited by Hotel26

Finally modified MechJeb code to land using Trajectory predictions and actually hit the target close enough to land at LaunchPad:

e0FtKec.png

All corrections are done by control surfaces and using two drogue and a single normal parachute. For final touchdown engines helped to shave off last bit of velocity. Total dV used from 80km orbit to touchdown was less than 200 m/s.

Now it is time to clean up code a bit for pull requests and test with other rocket sizes / builds.

4 hours ago, IkranMakto said:

Thank you! Did you recognize the plane?

Hide contents

tb2.jpg

Why of course, it's the TB3. Long time il2 player here hehehe. Why would I say it looks like the real thing if I didn't know it?

I'll quote the wiki page so other people can compare the two, too. Again, GREAT work.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_TB-3

7 minutes ago, CBase said:

o land at LaunchPad

... sort of!

On 3/23/2020 at 12:22 PM, juvilado said:

Witch mod is those suits? Ilove them!

are you using 1.9? In that case, witch mods are you using for those visuals?

All stock - those suits came with one of the expansions IIRC, you can change the colour they light up with in the suit RGB sliders. Theyre only available for the Jeb, Bob, Bill & Val i think.

On return from a science trip to the Mun, re-entry heat destroyed the science junior module connected to Bob's command pod. Luckily the heat shield got stuck underneath the capsule and saved Bob's life... &)

zakia4vl.png

In one hour I'll launch a probe for scanning kerbin's land features. 

P.S: the target is a baobab at ten Km. from the KSC: I tried ten times with planes but I failed!!!!

P.S.S: that probe will be used on Duna or Eve in the future!

2 hours ago, Kryten 2X4B 523P said:

All stock - those suits came with one of the expansions IIRC, you can change the colour they light up with in the suit RGB sliders. Theyre only available for the Jeb, Bob, Bill & Val i think.

Naaaa I use that suits with tons of kerbals, and I always see the sliders... I love that suits anyway!

1 minute ago, Goaty1208 said:

I use that suits with tons of kerbals

Actually I use them for extreme works ( Egs. paragliding inside a box launched at sound speed by a jet ( I actually did that... Jeb and Val had great entertainment with that:cool:)

51 minutes ago, Sepone said:

re-entry heat destroyed the science junior module connected to Bob's command pod. Luckily the heat shield got stuck underneath the capsule and saved Bob's life...

How did the science junior got destroyed?

55 minutes ago, Goaty1208 said:

How did the science junior got destroyed?

Re-entry speed was above 3000m/s and the overheat bar of the science junior filled up and it exploded. I guess it's difficult to keep the science module protected behind a heat shield of the same diameter, especially without auto-retrograde. A pilot might be able to do it.

Today I "experimeted" with the game to see what I can do to it before it stops working. Here's what I found.

1. Always have clean/stable gamedata folder as a backup.
2. DON'T try putting old mods to newer versions of a game.
3. Surprisingly, part mods that are meant for newer versions usually work just fine when used in old versions
3.5. You can completly replace the parts folder with newer ones (for example parts folder from 1.4 can be replaced with parts folder from 1.8)

Now I can finally play my Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul (version 1.4) game with ReStock and new parts installed.