What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Don't have any screenshots as proof, but lately I've decided to explore the nearly limitless possibilities offered by the robotic parts from the breaking ground DLC. So far I've built and flown a foldable rover, a space station somewhat similar to Matt Lowne's SSTO space station, and a space probe with a dynamic antenna system thanks to the antenna reflector system included with Near Future eXploration. Here's some handy advice when building spacecraft with the robotic parts: if you lock the parts in place, they won't wobble around both in flight and with SAS; discovered this after I launched my space station with struts and radial decouplers.

Edited by mr. engino

Day 15 of lockdown/shelter in place....I've resorted to firing up KSP Enhanced Edition for XBOX again.  I figure, now is the perfect time to try and knock out all of the achievements for the XBOX version....most of which require a flyby of every planet and moon, as well as landing on every planet and moon, and returning to Kerbin.  The other reason is my laptop is not built for gaming at all, so when playing on my laptop, I either need to crank the graphics down to almost the lowest level, or I need to tilt the camera to just seeing my ship and space to prevent massive lag.

To accomplish the task, I've built one ship that is design just to get to orbit, land, and get back off said planet/moon, and the one big ship that is an unmanned refueling ship.  The refueling ship flys like a hippopotamus, and when I try to squeeze every ounce of fuel by flying the lander craft attached to refueler, using the remain fuel in the refueler engines, it flys like a hippo and an elephant stuck together.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, these achievements are much easier to accomplish on XBOX edition since the last update for XBOX added a Mun launch site. :sticktongue:  Makes up for the lack of KER and total guesswork on dV when ship building.

I just finished my launch from the Mun to Duna surface and back to Kerbin to knock out that achievement.  Next up, back to the same SOI to hit up Ike.

Well, after a while of waiting for all my mods to be fixed (at least the critical ones like um scatterer, just finished Outpost Alpha in HKO.  Went with my old "pirate" style since its supposed to be a pirate outpost and not owned by any major faction. 

5whdQ8v.png

Attached to the side of a potaytoe-roid, it has plenty of access to fuel (not that pirates have access to refinery technology so they cant actually take advantage of that), and some protection against long range weapons fire (ive yet to create a weapon that can touch a asteroid, everything just instantly explodes on contact).

7Nz6OwJ.png

Frigate sized drydock on the side which will be useful for both manufacture and repair/refitting of vessels.

mf5DH3w.png

Dat sunflare looks amazing though.  had to get another flare (as scattere's default one is terribad imo), but it looks super cool (might edit the colors a tad to make it more yellowish/orangeish, but sofar its decent looking even without my own modding of the flare).

D1cO8Ak.png

Another shot of the drydock, showing the habitation/workshop area behind it.

63Mm8VA.png

Main entrance, used combo of green/blue lights to make it stand out from the rest of the station (and it looks more piraty since there is no flat out color scheme on the facility, but rather a combo of yellows reds greens and blues).

9nZjMJW.png

And finally the internals, lots of random command seats for the kerbals to sit in and make it look more alive (its not that many extra parts and it really looks cooler to see exposed kerbals rather then sticking em all in the containers.

TB-3-4M17 Stock + Procedural Wings. Scale 2/3

90% finished

Resized to correct forms and dimentions(+/- 4%) from blueprint. She's awesome.

Actually Procedural Wings is the best mod I've ever installed. I feel so free with it, like I got precise tool for my imagination. The plane has realistic max and min speeds, thrust, lift, CoM and CoL with no tricks such as hidden rudders, wings, thrusters or so. 

VpLPIlG.png

8MN48xr.png

Spoiler

tb3-27.jpg

Edited by IkranMakto

On 3/26/2020 at 10:58 PM, RoninFrog said:

"3-2-1 We have liftoff!  All systems are go!  Uh, nevermind, not all systems are go!"

Sorry, Jeb.

No need to say sorry, RoninFrog... Jeb has died a billion times by now, he's used to disintegration. :confused:

On 3/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, AviosAdku said:

Ever since I read/listened to the Randall Munroe book How To, and in particular the section that mentioned the logistics of moving a house with jet engines, I've wanted to try it. Today I did.

Social distancing... Kerbal style! :o

9 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Today I was wondering what would happen if I used the cheat menu and tried to land a propeller craft on Jool's surface...

Why would a Jebi need the cheat menu... use the Korce! :D

8 hours ago, Raptor42 said:

Today I "experimeted" with the game to see what I can do to it before it stops working. Here's what I found.

To top it off you could try to add other games' DLCs. How about The Witcher 3's Blood and Wine? You could fly to Toussaint for some monster slaying... :mad:

7 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

I started learning a bit on how to do gravity assists

Gravity assists are an incredible feat! On the other hand, it's pretty lazy to let gravity do all the work... :/

4 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Well, after a while of waiting for all my mods to be fixed (at least the critical ones like um scatterer, just finished Outpost Alpha in HKO.  Went with my old "pirate" style since its supposed to be a pirate outpost and not owned by any major faction.

It's true art... to make an outpost look like a scrap yard. :cool:

With best regards from isolation. Stay healthy, fellow Kerbonauts!

7 hours ago, IkranMakto said:

TB-3-4M17 Stock + Procedural Wings. Scale 2/3

That thing is flarping incredible:o All it needs is a couple dozen Kerbal paratroopers sliding off the wings. 

11 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Tested more of my own VTOL engines. Cruised like a boss and landed 8/10.

I really need to get back to Kerballing. :/

Did some flight testing of an air-launched two stage shuttle system.

tZftW3k.jpg

lUFhnxR.jpg

gFKH5aP.jpg

Also got the first pair of radial tanks docked to the DSS Sunbeam. Each tank has it's own expendable docking tug.

fV0H5Nk.jpg

VrBKVhp.jpg

After I've made sure that both docking ports have a good connection, the tug detaches and de-orbits itself.

A9RGFvW.jpg

673BOrZ.jpg

Edited by BadOaks

Today, I landed a probe on Gateway:

3JwZ5lI.png

Transitioning into lower orbit since the craft can handle only so much heat during the re-entry, even with an inflatable heat shield and a couple of normal ones stacked behind it to protect the squishy parts.

2zSJVlh.png

De-orbiting burn.

gMFDLol.png

Propulsion module detached. From this point on, the probe has no ability to control where it (eventually) lands.

ExxPsN2.png

pvl4NT2.png

Inner fairing deployed as it has served its function. The actual probe is now visible (yes, that tiny little thing sitting on a truss decoupler).

iCPC591.png

Weather report from high above Gateway oceans: it's sunny with a small chance of floating ice spikes.

jqTjPlN.png

Wow. Those are quite impressive stone pillars. The probe is still three-or-so kilometers above the ocean's surface!

kC6i00D.png

Parachutes away!

IDuuRa7.png

And we have a successful splashdown in Gateway's Sagen Sea.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:36 PM, Daniel Prates said:
On 3/28/2020 at 1:34 PM, CBase said:

o land at LaunchPad

... sort of!

ahhh come on, it didn't tip over :cool: and within 10m of target from orbit isn't that bad.

But challenge accepted, today I improved powered braking, so descent angle settings and remaining error from Trajectory are less of a problem. As well the final approach now slowly decreases deploy of control surfaces near target and some builds got within 1m:

OqVkjAA.png

@ SpaceX:  Got any jobs open ? :D

I did try as well some 1.25m, 2.5m and a massive air breathing 5m first stages:

5f0gFse.png

The Rockomax one is little more off, since the single drogue chute had a terminal velocity ~150 m/s which proved to be challenging fast for MechJeb target predictions.

During my tests I noticed that the "free falling" landing burn calculations, which are perfectly fine on a moon, waste a lot of fuel with any parachutes. First optimisations were maybe a little too aggressive :/

mvt8gIS.png

But finally another 50-100 m/s dV could be shaved off, so right now 350m/s in orbit is totally fine for a full recovery landing if the parachutes slow down to ~ 50m/s.

Overall a very successful day :)

Edited by CBase

Getting out of Eve system fast, drop from Gilly level orbit down to low above Eve for the burn back. 
uNv5tJAh.png
Got a bit low there, yes I had the fallback to inflate the heatshield and retract stuff but did not fancy touching Eve atmosphere at that speed. 

Tylo base and launcher in orbit around kerbin after getting topped up at Minmus. 
wwpdb1Nh.png
At  the front is an Tylo SSTO with mining for mapping the biomes, then the decent stage for the base with two drop tanks. Base itself is upside down, then an dock tank who can be discarded, an tug and then an 9 engine LV-N stage and finally the chemical stage 

Finaly Jool express, this is an passanger ship for rotating crew from Jool. 
m0zJJNdh.png
It also bring an plane for Laythe operations. an taillander who can land on water. An second Tylo SSTO and an fuel depot who is to be dropped on Laythe as some biomes are on the opposite side of the base. 
it carry 29 Kerbals.