What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Continuing from last time...

I sent Caryall to Mun, for SCIENCE! And some cash. In meantime I learned that there are some solid rocks scattered on Mun nowadays, gotta figure how to get science from them...

I also learned that stacking screenshot from orbit and surface combine very well

WjYsgnW.png26sgrmu.png

Spaceship left with ~4300dV, and once all cargo was dropped it returned with ~3000dV and roughly one third of fuel left.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:08 PM, IkranMakto said:

Ignition!
ofyTfqw.gif

Each M-17 engine could be started or stopped independently. KAL-1000 simulates pneumatic starter - spins it slow, adds throttle for a while and then sets it to idle at 110 rpm. A small servo on the shaft creates wobble and anti-torque. Take-off RPM is 375, increasing to 395 as speed rises and could increase up to 418 on high altitude. Plane can fly on any 2 engines running

It's like you can hear it without the sound! :cool:

On 3/31/2020 at 7:08 PM, IkranMakto said:

Ignition!
ofyTfqw.gif

Each M-17 engine could be started or stopped independently. KAL-1000 simulates pneumatic starter - spins it slow, adds throttle for a while and then sets it to idle at 110 rpm. A small servo on the shaft creates wobble and anti-torque. Take-off RPM is 375, increasing to 395 as speed rises and could increase up to 418 on high altitude. Plane can fly on any 2 engines running

Thats pretty damn impressive for a KSP craft...

Gives me nostalgia for the days i used to play IL2 1946 like alot (i still actually play it on occasion even now despite being like over a decade old).  I remember flying those things in formation and just watching my wingmen being blown out of the sky in glorious fireballs when a bf109 decided to shoot at them (albeit the damage modeling back then was terrible so they were notorious for having 2-3 engines fully on fire and still flying due to russian bias in the earlier versions of said game).  Only saving grace of the plane (at least back in the day) was the broken turret modeling which gave those dual MG turrets on the plane aimbot like accuracy and they always gtargeted the head of the pilot flying the bf109.

Makes me wonder how well that thing would work with BDA installed and a bf109 replica chasing it from behind...

25 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Gives me nostalgia for the days i used to play IL2 1946 like alot

Thank you! I was inspired by this game too, but... actually my model of this plane is more accurate than in IL-2. I've done a lot blueprint measuring to make this forms as precise as possible and did not forget to make its interiors

Makes me wonder how well that thing would work with BDA installed and a bf109 replica chasing it from behind...

Maybe I will make it, but now I'm thinking about He-111 H2 or H6 with the same scale(2/3). But it won't be so smooth since game still not providing any possibility of making automatic variable-pitch propeller. 

Spoiler

I remember flying those things...

I've done and even tested a bombsight, but deleted it from latest versions of the craft  :rolleyes: Also inspired by IL-2. It was too complicated and difficult to use in flight, but it could "calculate" and aim from 300 to 900 meters and from 30 to 50 m/s.

Edited by IkranMakto

Made another minor improvement to the Broadsword class mark 5 model...

HdXJ0C1.png

Newest BCorp warship, mostly to replace the worthless mark 4 which doesnt even look anything like this...

98kqTdx.png

Main reason for the replacement, the old one's notorious tendency to get 1 shot neutered by the G7 torpedo.  The ship served me well, but its just outdated and way too damn part count heavy too.

1Iih8Ze.png

Initial mark 5 version, didnt quite live up to its armor requirements (interior was terribly designed even if you cant quite tell from the screenshots.

lxtlB8N.png

And the same angle on the mark 5 new model, somewhat sleeker, vastly better armor (especially when taking hits from the bottom angle (it has double layered armor there which will stop most ordinance without much difficulty).

XrU6Kqf.png

Thats the sort of damage you normally see from a 1.25m torpedo when it actually does anything serious at all.  THis would technically be a mission kill (achilles heel of this ship is the fact that 100% of its anti-ship weapons are mounted in the nose and can be 1 shotted off), but the ship is fine otherwise and still has its secondary weapons (which would be useless against anything but a fighter)...

All in all quite happy with this thing now, looks amazing, actually does what it says on the crate it comes in (namely stays alive and soaks damage well), and even has decent range (~2k dV which is far from bad for LFO engines pushing armored brick).

I commissioned Aviary frigate to operate in Kerbin sphere. First mission was to send Caryall crew back to Kerbin, and gather few stranded Kerbs. To make it reusable, and keep drop pods simple, I decided to deliver trio of them in bulk as underbelly cargo.

nP4g10L.pngEJac9bY.png

As you can see, its pretty much downsized, modernized, version of Caryall which makes docking them together very easy and visually pleasing.

TODO:

• refuel 
  • gather more stranded Kerbs
  • drop kerbed pods
  • find Minmus (Research Bodies)
  • haul modules for contracted Munar station using Caryall 
  • decide which ship to send for passenger Munar cruise
Edited by PT

On approach to that small black dot visible in the background

ppF40xl.png

Same dot, now a bit closer and more colourful

HG5dSnh.png

Now braking into orbit, with our target visible on the left

cVPWsWk.png

Swinging around the dark side of Jool, with 3 other moons visible

qhSZLfj.png

Approaching the moon to enter orbit

QEALkAo.png

Now in orbit and ready to fire the engines

OcuuB4t.png

Unfortunately the other craft for the mission experienced some rapid unplanned disassembly,  so these guys and girls will have to wait around the Joolian system for a couple of years at least for it to arrive.

7 hours ago, PT said:

I commissioned Aviary frigate to operate in Kerbin sphere. First mission was to send Caryall crew back to Kerbin, and gather few stranded Kerbs. To make it reusable, and keep drop pods simple, I decided to deliver trio of them in bulk as underbelly cargo.

nP4g10L.png

What's the inspiration behind this design? I've seen something like it before. Really like it. How well does it stay on course?

45 minutes ago, GEPEG_Unconscious said:

What's the inspiration behind this design? I've seen something like it before. Really like it. How well does it stay on course?

Aviary predecessor is Caryall:

WjYsgnW.png

...which I named after C&C Caryall:

YqghR5y.png

...which, if I remember correctly, was inspired by that ugly Sikorsky skycrane chopper:

cWIV7sa.png

Its also result of my previous experiments with reusable cargo spaceships where I learned that inline cargo sucks, limpet cargo sucks even more, and internal cargo sucks most. So I finally made cargo "hold" that is inline, internal and limpet at same time!

Its convex spine is actually making it very good at load-balancing! By docking cargo in underbelly it becomes inline with CoT, and weight of spine tanks then aligns CoM with CoT. Additionally I can use spinal tanks for trimming CoM around with fuel.

That design only has tiny problems when flying empty and fully fueled (which, of course, is rare), as ship itself has obvious misalignment of CoM/CoT. Caryall can easily takes care of that with differential throttle thanks to widely spaced engines, Aviary single engine however had to compensate with vectored thrust (and some reaction wheels dark magic).

If you'll look at screenshots with loaded ships you should notice that cargo is designed to balance everything out. Once I laid the desired command section and cargo spine I attach dummy cargo, then I build engine section to deliver required dV. So once its loaded everything is fine.

As for Aviary itself, I was reading through Honorverse novels while testflighting, and there was part with Aviary class carrier spaceships in combat right when I needed name.

I made KerbalX hangar for my spaceships, because there will be more of them in this save :]

Edited by PT

This is Epiphany...

rosNk5B.png

It's an all-LF machine...  twin Whiplash and twin NERVa...

Total capacity is 3,380 kallons LF.  37.6t.  10 krew.

But it departs KSC at sea-level with a load of only 1,620 kallons in the tanks...

By the time it arrives in 722 km LKO, there are just 326 kals remaining for a pitiable 596 m/s dV...

But when it's fully refueled in LKO: its dV becomes 4.688 km/s.

The first epiphany (thank you, @Mars-Bound Hokie) is that the purpose of an SSTO may not just be to make orbit and return to a runway, doing no more than burning fuel and transferring passengers.

The second epiphany is that if you emphasize designing an SSTO for long-range interplanetary operations, you may have to handicap yourself getting to that first, low-orbit fuel depot milestone.

Edited by Hotel26

Bill and Bob made a 50 minutes flight to western mountains carrying 3200 kg load and 500 kg fuel. Plane slowly climbed to 4200 meters where brave Kerbals landed it on small plateau. Bill decided to take some photos, mount a flag and find space for take-off while Bob checked tanks and calculated exact fuel consumption - 254 kg/h.
As result maximum of 2000 kg fuel onboard can provide 8h flight on full power and 1900 km range. 
284kGZ9l.png

VMWz8vJl.png

7yxNHfUl.png

I improved and tested support infrastructure for my fleet.

Refueled both starship at same time with bigger tanker. Now with RCS refueling capability.

xUtRkJ0.png

Then after capturing rescuing some stranded Kerbs I sent them together with Caryall crew back to Kerbin for level up. They also survived successful test of single-stage multi-pod deorbit maneuver. One pod, worthy three unlucky Kerbs, left.

a1RIqXd.png

After successful test Aviary Droppod (and optionally crew delivery) module entered mass production. Caryall received its own module as some tourist want to visit Mun, but this time primary cargo is contracted space station.

ByehPkq.png

Because "Return to Kerbin" contract requires part, not Kerbal, I now have to send another Mun lander but this time capable of return....

TODO

• new Mun lander
  • spysat to find that pesky Minmus
  • finish 2nd Mun mission
Edited by PT

I built a rather big interplanetary ship, nuclear powered, which goal was to land three kerbals on Duna. It consists of a big service module with a crew capacity of seven Kerbals, and a lander with a crew capacity of three.

And so I launched all of this in one piece in a massive launcher :

i0iZofy.png

The launch went OK with this three-stage launcher

RbdoS03.png

Stage separations:

TTvaDDw.png

OrACKwG.png

I performed also the orbit insertion burn with this stage equipped with three vectors engines

XEYWbJI.jpg

Now you can see my ship in all its glory! The Nukes gave me more than enough Dv : about 4000 m/s in Kerbin orbit.

H0o0HsR.jpg

AZGix7g.jpg

My crew arrived successfully to Duna:

YYp9N00.jpg

74W4jIS.jpg

With the ship in orbit we can transfer the crew in the lander and begin our descent: 

Ksgyo77.jpg

Fortunately, the chutes deployed flawlessly.

0Hv7WFl.jpg

Touchdown!

UFOexad.png

After the landing, Megney, Johnsby and Bob got out of the craft and started to put in place the surface science and to plant the sacred flag:

d52CSDx.jpg

aLalFal.jpg

mWMOErR.jpg

And that's it! My plans for tomorrow are to get those Kerbals home, of course :).