What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Continuing from last time...

I devised lander with return pod to finally complete Mun Exploration contract, new ASE to find Minmus, docked them to Caryall together with space station and sent it all to Mun. Vanilia deltaV stats gave out, so now I have to fully rely on MJ and KER to properly execute maneuvers... 

XWAAKla.png

Once in Mun orbit I found some stranded Kerb, as he was in perfect orbit for my station I decided to do all maneuvers at once. ASE retained its docking scaffolding as I decided to mount it as station module rather than separate drone.

j6KgNru.png

Afterwards Jeb led landing party, and personally planted contracted flag.

Hi5AGRP.png

Lander managed short hop to another biome, then feed the science to newly assembled Munar Observatory. Turns out telescopes have orbit height requirements, looks like I'll have to send another one out.

oPEsK3r.png

After routine return, remaining cargo was jettisoned and Jeb happily took Mun lander back to Kerbin for that pesky mission.

rtQfcpn.png

While tourists were subjected to test

hRf4bos.png

They survived.

GQynrYk.png

TODO:

• ASE that will find that pesky Minmus
  • Deliver space station to Minmus
  • Explore Minmus (ughhh)
  • Land bunch of tourists on Mun!
  • Hunt for more stranded Kerbs
  • Improve droppods to remove stability issues during burn
  • Scan Baobab tree o_O

Hi guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_hUnz4ojl i tried to launch the rocket engine with igniter with lighter instead of launch controller but the effect is not correct. I have also battery charger with ending but I afraid it will same make not proper effect. I Ordered proper launch controller + another standing from ebay so will make launch probably on Thursday 09.04.2020 beside that again installed kerbal space program on notebook as one notebook broke due to screen problem. 

Much Love:>

Keeps the thigns together. 

Edited by michaelbezos1
adding link

Today I built another SSTO. This one is very fast, high TWR and good atmospheric manoeuvrability. At the cost of being expensive and only carrying one person.
It belongs to Jeb now.

Tyg4DsB.png

Takeoff was at 70m/s, which it achieved quite quickly. It ascended at about 25 degrees.

cK6B5ny.png

It got very, very hot very quickly, with parts in danger of overheating.

cVBwaDo.png

Luckily, with high ascent angle, the plane made it to orbit intact.

94P2DMM.png

De-orbiting with airbrakes out. It can re-enter steeply and pull up at the last minute, because of all the control surfaces.

HBzbVus.png

Landed on the surface. Airbrakes? What airbrakes? (There is a worrying tendency for one to explode before the other, and then it spins out of control without use of RCS.)

I might put it on KerbalX once I add monopropellant.

Did a lot of aerobraking at Jool and Laythe. A lot. But I got them there... eventually.

Spoiler

duERDlO.png

hfOlmsy.png

Ongoing mission thread for my Jool expedition.

4 hours ago, fulgur said:

Tyg4DsB.png

That is an attractive vessel. I'm usually too frustrated making aircraft that fly like I want them too to spend much time on aesthetics, so I'm impressed.

Was it difficult to make it fly well? Looks like the quad-fins/rudders on each nacelle give you a lot of control. Did you leave those rudders in all the flight control groups?

I decided to use my SR-717 Whitebird to launch my X-151.  I'm totally not basing these crafts off of anything, totally...

nIyeT9H.pngUcTTdNx.pngLF6au4y.pngjqlsl5K.png5RKW1sV.pngu1EIqka.png

Why does the Whitebird have 4 engines?  I'll answer that with this:  Do you like speed?  :)

The X-151 after being launched from the Whitebird can reach above 100km in height.  And this is in JNSQ ;3  So all my X-151 pilots are getting their kastronaut wings!

Oh, and the SR-717 is unmanned.  I'd install a mod for recovery, but I'm lazy.

Continuing from last time...

I mostly designed and tested stuff for 3rd Mun mission, and first Minmus escapade. With focus of this career being on spaceships carrying around stuff I am both limited in design and freed from taking care of transfer stages.

While testing armoured rover (Konstruction mod) I decided to finally check that dark speck near launchpad

7WHinaZ.png

After failing to get any science from that black slab I went out to find a tree

NiM6wg0.png

While designing payload I kept encountering same issue in each piece so I decided to resolve it all at once, and in style

3wCPQct.png

Stay tuned for great unboxing ;]

TODO:

• ASE that will find that pesky Minmus
  • Deliver space station to Minmus
  • Explore Minmus (ughhh)
  • Land bunch of tourists on Mun!
  • Keep hunting for more stranded Kerbs
  • Improve droppods to remove stability issues during burn
  • Scan Baobab tree o_O
  • Obtain Mun rocks!

I had upgraded from 1.5.1 to 1.9.1  the effect of which on some of my landed vehicles to be catastrophic. I had a miner/ISRU combo sitting on Ike from before upgrade. I went to it for the first time since upgrading and BOOM! It exploded and left a mess... and engineer Neddun is now stranded... I have less than a year before I get into a good transfer window so he's gonna have to wait a while before he can rescued.

I perfected the efficiency of my Apollo-style Mun missions in my no quicksave/revert career. Most satisfying feeling to know that barely a drop of fuel is wasted. And it keeps the KSC Finance Director happy; which is great for getting permission to 'try stuff out'.

Mission Log

Spoiler

XdC1hyo.jpg
Exodus I, ready for rolling out to the launchpad.

al1Kvgl.jpg
Underneath the fairing. The lander and command module configuration. This will be reconfigured enroute to the Mun.

HD5tRes.png
Cleared the tower!

rtnAXKb.jpg
Approaching 20,000m and throttle up procedure.

K25hvMD.png
Stage separation success!

GPKyF3y.png
Circularisation burn at 100,000m

hkteLdt.jpg
Free return trajectory. So important on these no quicksave/revert missions.

iFFjlSy.png
Fairing deployed, ready for reconfiguration 
manoeuvre

jLHTXN9.jpg
CSM detaches from MEM and transfer stage, and rotates

635iohM.jpg
CSM couples with MEM

Sub3ubr.jpg
Transfer stage detached and discarded

nmWlUa0.jpg
CSM and MEM configured

ZO7J6KU.jpg
Circularisation burn at the Mun

AW3kNAj.jpg
Jeb transfers to the MEM, and undocks, a short burn puts the MEM on a landing trajectory

TDAp9Qs.jpg
MEM configured for landing

FkBMP6C.png
Successful landing in Mun's lowland region - engine shutdown

otdXemf.png
Science experiments performed, samples taken - and most importantly - flag planted

mD6iZLL.png
Time to leave. Top of the lander detaches from the MEM to rendezvous with the CSM

7GA0dcA.jpg
Docking with the CSM - Jeb transfers back into the command module, along with all his science data. The MEM is put on a sub-orbital trajectory to impact on the Mun's surface, and decoupled.

o3Pj6Ty.jpg
Approaching Kerbin, and detaching the CM for re-entry

22S2uFg.png
A bonus! Beautiful Munar eclipse - good shoots, ready for splashdown

H3xhcI5.png
Safely splashed down on Kerbin

Erreur aérodynamique  , le sens des hélices pour quadcopter, (drones) n’est pas valide

<Traduction via Google Translate ajoutée par le modérateur>

Aerodynamic error, the direction of the propellers for quadcopter, (drones) is not valid

<Translation via Google Translate added by moderator>

Sorry for the radio silence lately, y'all. The missus agreed to upgrade the family box...it's only been ten years since our last upgrade. Going to be getting a mid-range gaming laptop that should handle KSP easily, memory leaking mods and all. Arrives Saturday. Haven't been doing much in the meantime.

Still alive, in case any of y'all were wondering. Doing science and I'm still alive. ♫ I feel FANTASTIC and I'm still alive ♫ ...

Going to Duna in less than 80 days, never thought that one was possible with nerva and an large ship. 
J7W4NZLh.png
The ship 
lx5yy7Yh.png
And the trajectory, note that I have 1K m/s margin here so could probably get down to below 70 days. 

More fun in that this ship just came in from Gilly, just rotated the crew in LKO at the big station there, saw it was an window closing so added some fuel, Minmus in 3 days land, refuel drop of some crew from Gilly station, launch to orbit and top off tanks then drop Pe around kerbin to 100 km for the exit burn. 

Earlier I dropped an probe into Jool to get science flying at Jool lower atmosphere.
HpuMRlrh.png

Today:

Can the Estonian Duna Lander from my Deep Space Exploration Vessels mod handle JNSQ? Let's find out! Dumping the de-orbit stage, we're committed:

HhzNkvU.png

Airbrakes deployed! These are new additions and not used at stock scale.
KJyWVX0.png
Heat shield handles JNSQ Duna's atmosphere:
SLesGjt.png
Drogue chutes deployed:
Lx9eIaV.png
Landing...
RSbc4p0.png
Touchdown! The Estonian can land with full fuel tanks. It can't have a combination of fuel and Pathfinder base elements as it can in stock.

naStbV3.png

Now, can it attain orbit? Liftoff!

jbeSGSB.png

Burning hard:
2QsNI3M.png
100km orbit attained with delta v to spare:
CJNwtml.png
Conclusion: DSEV Estonian Duna Lander can handle Duna so long as you completely fill the LFO tanks.
Visual and part mods for those who are interested:

Edited by Angel-125

So, after some hiatus (due to frustration after crashing yet another save, and needed time out of KSP for a bit), I'm back. And I'm starting a new space program: The Kerbal Planetary Bodies Hopping Society.

Those are the goal I'm setting for myself:

• Land an outpost on all planetary bodies possible.
  • Have training space bases on Kerbin on the North and/or South ice caps. For the fun. And to train kerbonaut to the harsh survival condition they'll encounter. Also, can be used as com relays I guess.
  • Have a geosynchronous spacelab around all of planetary bodies if possible.
  • Use a hangar of stock-like Vessels (designed in a R&D save), like a real space program would do.
  • Use KoS as much as possible (if I can manage to have a fully scripted base that can get into orbit and land by itself, I'll be happy. Bonus point if it becomes self aware and tries to take over the world).

I'm not sure if I'm starting a thread for this yet. Maybe once I've unlocked some science nodes, I assume you all have more than enough of your share of flea rockets going to Mun.

Okhin

I've done quite a bit since I last posted here. Continuing attempts to explore the Mun have led to a buildup of orbital infrastructure instead of the original surface bases. Currently the Mun hub station is serving only one mission (by providing night-time lodging, as I don't yet have the power tech to stay the Munar night) — a crewed rover expedition, which has just returned a panoramic view of the Polar Crater from its southern rim.

259a8a6e47.png

It's a bit more bumpy than I remember other large craters being — a sign of nearing the poles. The angle of the slopes is more mild however, suggesting this might be one of the older craters. Science!

This rover originally landed in the Farside Crater and drive north along the canyon that connects to it. Now it has come over the northern hemisphere's highlands, bringing Kerbin into view. Eventually it will attempt to reach into the polar region proper, and even the north pole exactly, but it will likely need to be upgraded a lot before going further than the Polar Crater's northern rim.

Edited by Rocket Witch

44 minutes ago, Rocket Witch said:

This rover originally landed in the Farside Crater and drive north along the canyon that connects to it. Now it has come over the northern hemisphere's highlands, bringing Kerbin into view. Eventually it will attempt to reach into the polar region proper, and even the north pole exactly, but it will likely need to be upgraded a lot before going further than the Polar Crater's northern rim.

Quick thought looking at that, from my experience trying to drive rovers of that manufacturer to the poles: Is it's only power source solar?  The roof-mounted solar panels are great at lower latitudes, but at the poles they don't get any exposure and won't be able to generate power.

40 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Quick thought looking at that, from my experience trying to drive rovers of that manufacturer to the poles: Is it's only power source solar?  The roof-mounted solar panels are great at lower latitudes, but at the poles they don't get any exposure and won't be able to generate power.

Yes. Most of the panels are damaged too since the original landing was a mess (the reaction wheel module stuck to the back is from the crashed skycrane). I would've used fuel cells in the first place but forewent them since the version of the Bon Voyage mod for KSP 1.3.1 doesn't have fuel cell compatibility. I expect to fly some down to attach to the rover, but I might simply not do the leg to the pole until later, by which time I might have something nuclear.

I wish there were a standalone beamed power mod separate from KSPIE (nothing against it, it's just a lot to take on); would be cool to do that with polar satellites.

Edited by Rocket Witch