What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

55 minutes ago, Rocket Witch said:

Yes. Most of the panels are damaged too since the original landing was a mess (the reaction wheel module stuck to the back is from the crashed skycrane). I would've used fuel cells in the first place but forewent them since the version of the Bon Voyage mod for KSP 1.3.1 doesn't have fuel cell compatibility. I expect to fly some down to attach to the rover, but I might simply not do the leg to the pole until later, by which time I might have something nuclear.

Good to hear you've got a plan.  ;)  I just wanted to make sure you'd thought about it before you were stuck on the pole with no power...

Today I decided to spend another day testing the potential of robotics parts, which has yielded an interesting discovery: by placing linear RCS ports on hinges, I can convert them from regular rotation control and angle them into an ad hoc monopropellant thruster setup. However, as I'm using mods, this phenomenon might not be the case in vanilla KSP, so plan accordingly.

Also, I've learned that attaching canards/winglets to alligator hinges allows you to store them out of the way if you build a spaceplane/rocket hybrid and still need some atmospheric control after decoupling the wings/jet engine.

Edited by mr. engino
Extra stuff I did

Well still playing around with JNSQ re-imagined quarter scale mod to the KSP solar system and man its alot of fun.

Put on a massive pair of old rusty boosters attached to this awesome bdb Mercury - Atlas rocket.

HAHA!! I bet I got a few more orbits more than John Glenn did on MA-6!

MercuryAtlasBoosters.jpg

a22MercuryAtlasBoosters.jpg

Edited by Retro Starship

I recently modified my venerable Zephyr lifter to be partially recoverable.  I keep the upper stage of spent Zephyrs in low orbit and refuel/reuse them as recyclable interplanetary boosters.  But eventually I have enough in space, and more coming up from the surface.

AMS6n8Z.png   kszec7g.png

3 I-beams did the trick.

Then I thought...

Spoiler

... well, the upper stage of my venerable Titan fuel tanker is really just 9 Zephyrs clumped together.  So...

Kvgl5Wz.png

Spoiler

First test lost 6 engines in retro-heating.  Then had the misfortune to land in mountainous territory.

S1c9DDm.png

X3pzjqP.png   OldWiEC.png

Spoiler

Second test:

YiRyCzf.png

ZGsElXx.png

Not bad for government work...

Spoiler

And, while I am here, I did this, imaginatively called Shuttle, for transferring fuel/passengers to nearby spaceplanes that are too limp to dock themselves.

vtUOj9N.png

I don't know that I am ever going to use it (I fixed my spaceplane), but it also would make a decent emergency lifeboat for e.g. a burning space station...  :)

Spoiler

Speaking of which, I hunted down and rescued this spaceplane in a sub-orbit.  I think this is my first-ever dock in the atmosphere and it was a very wild chase that I will remember always as The Ballet of Lunge and Pivot...

wEmswBv.png

Mutual orbits had decayed to Ap 66.7 and Pe 57.6, by the time of capture.

That looks like wild jubilation in the spaceplane, doesn't it!?

Edited by Hotel26

Today I started designing my first Duna rover. I also decided to send three ion powered relay satellites so I could have a constant connection to the KSC. Should I focus on using RTGs or solar panels for power generation?

1 hour ago, Lewie said:

Today I started designing my first Duna rover. I also decided to send three ion powered relay satellites so I could have a constant connection to the KSC. Should I focus on using RTGs or solar panels for power generation?

At Duna, solar panels are still more mass efficient than RTG's.  They produce less than half the power than they would at Kerbin, but they are still produce four times more electricity for their weight than RTG's.  Past Duna, it is better to use RTG's.

I landed a probe on Minmus today.  Not all that exciting.  But the exciting part was when I clicked on the little water image next to the altimeter by accident.  :o  I had no idea that I could set the altimeter to read from the ground level!  :blush:  Okay, maybe this is common knowledge, but my night landings will be a WHOLE lot easier!

Pirate fleet is ready for combat, preparing to engage another faction's outpost on asteroid.

8tW4oTG.png

Sorta put this ragtag group of ships together by overhauling some old/failed vessels from back when.  2 of these, the "Grim Reaper" (right flank) and the "Death's Embrace" (front center) are from 0.25 days (not armored at all, just a fuel tank surrounded by panels) which will likely drop instantly.  The 3rd isnt too useless, "Time's Up" (left flank) is actually the 1st ship i purpose built to carry SRMs (it was around the time i came up with the whole ibeam+sepatron weapon in a box attached to a 1.25m hardpoint).  Flagship is probably the toughest (bridge view), the "Vengeance" is a failed prototype of the Broadsword series, the mark-3 specifically.  Had high hopes for it but it got 1 shotted during trials one too many times by torpedoes that werent even my absolute strongest models, so i dumped the design but made it into a pirate warship and it sorta sucks imo as you constantly need to mess with thrust limiters and move fuel around cause its unstable, half the fuel tanks arent connected to engines, and i somehow ripped off the fuel lines during launch sequence (either attached em wrong or they genuinely broke off which wouldnt be surprising).

XS0zv2W.png

Theres another look from outside of Vengeance.

0WiD5Ai.png

Its actually fairly evenly matched, these ships outnumber the other side, but they will be facing a Dimension class cruiser which has weapons capable of 1 shotting the 1st 3, and having a good chance of 1 shotting the flagship, albeit its got a single torpedo left from its last engagement, 2 LRMs which are not reliable against anything with armor and difficult to aim due to the probe's inability to aim at target (i like the challenge and always enable the limited probe controls feature), and around half of its PAK-1M rounds left.  Itll be the 2nd battle where i test that weapon system if it doesnt get instantly shot off, 1st test was mediocre, it just doesnt do squat against heavy armor plating but will likely 1 shot the weaker junk.  Also on side B there is the "Grey Wolf", a very very very old warship i copied from macey dean's series (that 1 that got 1 shotted and didnt do squat), albeit slightly upgraded with extra 4 SRMs since 2 hammer torpedoes is pathetic ammo capacity wise), a generic shuttle i made out of the 1.8m parts (and strapped some basic spark based torps to it), and a Micro-B which is a old copy of macey dean's mosquito class including its original pathetivcally worthless vintage ant based torpedoes (those truly are useless and i sure dont expect them to do squat against any of these ships, maybee end up ramming something with it if the dimension class cruiser gets destroyed and there is nothing left to fight with).

Anyways, hopefully ill do the battle sometime next week, will be too busy for KSP the next day or so...

Edited by panzer1b

So today I recovered my Kerbals from Duna, and I had so many problems on the return trip that I thought I would never make it back!

v8OtIZW.png

The launch itself went pretty well, and I got that Rendez-vous at the first try!

zXahUNO.png

C662TiD.png

I also docked to the mother ship pretty easily

K24Rjj4.png

But then, the series of problems begun : First, due to a weird bug, the tracking station behaved like if it was at level 1 ! Being in sandbox, I couldn't do anything but restarting the game, because I couldn't make a maneuver node! 

I finally managed to solve the problem by launching a part on the launchpad and then switching to the ship without going through the tracking station.

vd7Da19.png

t5njpRD.png

Everything went OK during this part of the mission...

6MOUyJ3.png

Because of my fear of high reentry speeds with a lot of kerbals in an aerodynamically unstable reentry pod, I decided to use the 2 km/s of Dv left to insert myself in a low Kerbin orbit.

85JFrnb.png

cHAWf79.png

Then I had a little heart attack when I realized that I didn't HAVE ANY PARACHUTES (I'm a terrible rocket builder)! So I made a little rescue pod with a lot of chutes, and also a big heat shield to be sure that I won't burn up...

Zq15nLa.png

And I launched it to R&V with the mother ship...

6tBy6h5.png

Then on the map I realized that the mother ship WAS ORBITING THE OTHER WAY! (I'm a terrible mission planner) So I relaunched and made a rendez-vous with the ship and docked to it, FINALLY! (I also needed to use the ship for docking because the pod didn't have any propulsion system and the docking port was facing towards the second stage)

And then I deorbited and... exploded due to the wobbling caused by the heat shield...

5DXZRGV.png 

ZDDxrio.png

So, in these cases, F9!

Aaaaannd.. there we go!

NaA7VcI.png

That was a... particular... first Duna mission, but everybody returned home safely! :cool:

Edited by Cleperli
added an emoji

My obsession hobby of creating a Buran in KSP continues, I have settled with a configuration that is doable. Since a full ISS destroys my computer, I only made the russian segments for this sandbox save. Next on the list is the Federazija.

SVyA80B.png

gNWvZat.png

Edited by hendrack

Blister Orbital Delivery: Flight, we have a problem...

Flight Control: Roger, Blister, state the nature of your problem...

Blister: running into some heavy traffic up here, Flight.  Think we're gonna be late for our re-entry window...

Flight: Uh, OK, Blister...

Flight: Blister, we're looking at the telemetry...  TURN BACK!  YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!

Nyuk nyuk.  Call this a krakpot idea, but I'm putting a tourist space station into counter-orbit at 802 km.  Quite spectacular, really.

Have had to re-assign altitude of at least one opposing craft that was crossing that altitude periodically.  "EAST is least, WEST is best."

Edited by Hotel26

I’m wrapping up my Duna mission planning. Decided on setting up a commsat network around Duna with three probes, just so i can have a relay network for my rover fir a constant connection to the KSC. I’m going to later use the sats for relays for the Jool system and Eeloo. 

On 4/10/2020 at 12:57 PM, Retro Starship said:

Well still playing around with JNSQ re-imagined quarter scale mod to the KSP solar system and man its alot of fun.

Put on a massive pair of old rusty boosters attached to this awesome bdb Mercury - Atlas rocket.

HAHA!! I bet I got a few more orbits more than John Glenn did on MA-6!

MercuryAtlasBoosters.jpg

Why aren't you using the revamped UA120s? The rust signals they will be removed in the next update.

Newish career game, the first 4 tech tree nodes open, all buildings level 1, apart for Astronaut at lvl2

Sent Jeb to orbit to farm some EVA science. Found I had enough Dv to do a Mun flyby.

Thought it would be interesting challenge, as no patched conics, or manoever nodes yet.

Did a sucessful flyby at low altitude, intending to use gravity assist to drop me back into Kerbin atmosphere.

(you can tell where this is going already, can't you ... :blush:)

The resulting Ap on exit from Mun SOI looked a little high - somewhere above minmus !, and as I got near it I got a message that I had left Kerbin SOI !

Now how to get Jeb home safely with 500 m/s Dv and none of my usual tools available on the map screen ....

Got there in the end, thanks to a fluke aerobrake at *just* inside heat threshold , in a mission took over a year

Jeb's dinner was ruined - he forgot to turn the oven off.

Continuing from last time...

I managed to gather everything together and 3rd Munar mission has begun. In style.

All pieces of unwieldy cargo have been delivered in brutal way, then slowly docked.

nr5EnvT.png

IGNITION!

Xeda9w2.png

Once in high Munar orbit new space telescope and two scansat/relays have been shed

lzA2T03.png

And BigSky descended to low orbit where it left its RocketPack

nctv2Jt.png

And landed on Mun

ORUCv3t.png

Contracted outpost have been skycraned and after short hop two rovers have been released.

TODO:

• Find some Mun rocks!
  • Catch some wild Kerbs in Munar orbit
  • Return that horde back to Kerbin
  • Prepare for Minmus mission!

BigSky has been added to https://kerbalx.com/hangars/96594 however new version must follow as serious design errors have been made, it sure needs more space in underbelly and its "OMS" terrier is too weak to be of use in early phases of landing.

Edited by PT

13 hours ago, hendrack said:

My obsession hobby of creating a Buran in KSP continues, I have settled with a configuration that is doable. Since a full ISS destroys my computer, I only made the russian segments for this sandbox save. Next on the list is the Federazija.

SVyA80B.png

Just curious, you're calling it a Buran but the aft section is much closer to the American shuttle's than the Buran's. Is there a reason for that?

Regardless, awesome work! 

10 hours ago, BadOaks said:

Just curious, you're calling it a Buran but the aft section is much closer to the American shuttle's than the Buran's. Is there a reason for that?

Regardless, awesome work! 

You are quite right, its more Buran inspired, because of the soviet launcher and the Buran texture of the SSTU shuttle.

I've tried to build all the various Buran variants below and I am quite fond of the OC-120 with its jet engines, but for now I have not worked out a practical way in KSP. The latest variant on the right works best for me right now with the SSTU shuttle, but I'll try some Mk3 varitant too,

I think there are quite a few good part mods for it. Two years ago when I played KSP there was one part mod which let you change the design of the engine cluster, I think it was Cormorant but I haven't fiddled with it yet.

2p2ONtg.gif

XaQQuIE.gif

Edited by hendrack