What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I circumnavigated Eve with a lightweight chopper and brought my Kerbal safely back home afterwards using a Helicopter-Rocket hybrid.
The idea was to make the chopper small and fast. I ended up with a compact design that flies very stable. Here are its specs:

The circumnavigation took around 7 hours to complete, which is a record for me (hurray).

I made a small video of the mission.

I started progress on the Huge Moho Mission. By sending a scout mission

the-spacecraft.png?w=1056&h=

The next step is to determine the best landing spot and build mining modules

No pretty pictures, just a day with motion equations for powered landings with and without atmosphere:

CjuuE1Gm.jpg

After 15 years solving integral equations again :confused: But the target speed is pretty much now perfect, I am just fighting with the MechJeb PID controller now: Very hard breaking leads to overreactions and rockets hopping before touchdown. Although some looked pretty funny to hop, do a salto and then either crash big, run out of fuel or simply land and tip over...but many RUD today, lucky they all have drone cores :sticktongue:

1 minute ago, Sky Vagrant said:

Very cool! I’ve had a lot of fun with monoprop vehicles. I haven’t built any since I got Breaking Ground though. Love the arm on that thing!

Thanks! I wanted to include the largest scanning arm but didn't want it to be unbalanced. It's already unbalanced as is.

It can't travel long distances, so it has to frequently return to my base to refuel.

20200419085633_1.jpg

15 hours ago, AHHans said:

Two comments: if you want help with designing your ship, then why don't you start a thread in the Gameplay Questions and Tutorials subforum? That's what it is for. The other is that I guess your vector engine is oversteering which makes it hard to hold a direction. I suggest that you try limiting the gimbal range on the vector.

1. I will start a new thread there if it still doesn't work very well after tweaking.

2. Already set to 31%

1 hour ago, Sky Vagrant said:

I find 0% (i.e. locked)  is the best gimbal setting for Vector engines in vacuum. They are a hazard to Kerbal-kind once you leave atmo.

I find that I always have two launches for any vehicle that uses Vectors on the 1st stage.

A first... then an inevitable 2nd one, after reverting to thee VAB and turn the gimbal down on those crazy things down to 30% or so.

Two of my kerbalnauts were involved in an SSTO crash on Duna. For more details, read the entry from Y64D34 on this thread.

I then built an unmanned rover specifically designed to give a 21-rocket salute. After a successful test run at the runway, I uploaded it to KerbalX.

2u0Lxsj.png

https://kerbalx.com/Mars-Bound_Hokie/21-Rocket-Salute-Vehicle

If you want to hold a funeral for your fallen heroes, feel free to use it. Just make sure your throttle's all the way up before you start firing, or you're going to get a bunch of detached rockets just sitting there.

22 minutes ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

I then built an unmanned rover specifically designed to give a 21-rocket salute. After a successful test run at the runway, I uploaded it to KerbalX.

I’d like to see it in action, but I play on console. Would you make us a video?

Just had a few minutes to pass some time on my Out of the Sands career today - landed a supply probe at my Minmus outpost, then did a few test flights while waiting for a pair of rockets to build.

First up was a test flight of a single-seat version of my CF-07 Talon.  Val over-rotated a little, catching the #1 engine on the runway.  Despite the loss of half her thrust, she was able to bring it around for a safe landing

GyY5CiV.png?1

Then I tried again with the normal version, testing the advanced avionics with a non-pilot at the controls.  Take-off went well, and the somewhat petrified scientist managed to do some basic maneuvers with relative ease

uqmYjmP.png?1

Landing, however, left a little room for improvement

UF2P5FN.png?1

My test spy-plane got around kerbin in 70 min. Then it crashed at one km from the ksc.

That thing started braking at the start of the continent, but when I parachuted the scientist from the cupola cabin I noticed that Geneford ( I haven't used Jeb and Bob because that plane was unstable) was lucky to be alive: when he got in EVA he reach the 70% of the temperature gauge ( the plane was hot after flying for 65 minutes at 1.400 m/s). Everybody survived, and that is a "mission accomplished " I guess.

P.s: I don't know how to post photos, that's why you'll not see some

3 hours ago, Goaty1208 said:

My test spy-plane got around kerbin in 70 min. Then it crashed at one km from the ksc.

Is that the best you got? This plane can do it in less than an hour, and that was just one of the slower entries in the "Around the World in 80 Minutes" challenge.

3 hours ago, Goaty1208 said:

P.s: I don't know how to post photos, that's why you'll not see some

It's actually quite simple.

1. Post your screenshots on your imgur account. It doesn't even have to be public
  2. (Unless you haven't already) crop it so that only the parts you want to show are visible
  3. Copy the "direct link" of the picture in question
  4. Paste the link on the KSP Forum post.
  5. Voila.

So I did my first career mode.

Nothing much to report, it was great fun, but I'm guessing quite standard, so I present a few highlights:

I made a lot of money out of a simple toursit craft. After a few itterations I had the SRB size tuned so I could take tourists to orbit and then mun/minmus really cheap. The only issue was that I had to use spin stabilization during re-entry:

MjSUScx.png

Since it was the first time I could collect science I actually bothered making tiny rovers. Thank heavens for MechJeb's autopilot!

4UCdZ4G.png

I then progressed to larger science rovers:

5XunjrJ.png

Rovers on Duna for the first time (next time I would use more larger motors:

pjgsfsC.png

And that was enough to complete my first Tech Tree!

zu9Dqop.png

I think on the next play through I might limit myself to re-usable only. Which means I need to get a LOT better at landing planes!

11 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

Two words: photographic evidence.

Righto. But the problem is, I play on console so I have to take a picture with my phone. Still not sure on how to insert it, I’m working on it.