What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Another failed Duna landing. I haven't even reached Duna!

So Jeb and Kerdard decided to land on Mun.

And I failed because I timewarped too much.

So I just quick-loaded.

For now only a chemical rocket reached Duna, and the probe and the lander that I sent got crazy like a wild horse and it somehow became long 120 meters. Before it was 12.

It's what Jeb calls "The curse of Duna" 

Can somebody tell me an easy and non-efficient way to land on Duna?

(possibly without those slooooow nuclear engines, they are efficient as slow. And don't tell me ion engines!)

Oh yeah, I could just download a craft or watch a  tutorial.

I play on xbox and I saw two tutorials from Matt Lowne.

I started this thing(don't actually ask why):

VMo6jin.jpg

1aJ4Szd.jpg

mUjRhKu.jpg

Actually a pretty fast biplane. But 10Rapiers also deliver a lot of power:cool:. Might be even faster, but it got unstable, so yeah still a bit of work to do.

Edited by rettter3

My Tylo base.
gSvW0Muh.png
Yes its in the moth of the cave who is gigantic.
ENpoeqsh.png
This overview shot shows base an flag for landing position 1.7 km apart, you might have to zoom in to see base
gqRE4b5h.png

Rocket who took base there. 
wwpdb1Nh.png

Left part is an Tylo SSTO with mining options for science on Tylo. Then the crash stage with an rhino engine and two drop tanks. Base itself is upside down, then an tug/ 3rd stage with radial nerv, an second nerv stage with 9 engines and the chemical stage who also took all up to 3rd stage into orbit. The SSTO was docked to the rhino engine who had an docking port and decopler. who finaly docket with the rocket in LEO after getting some fuel, off to minmus to top off the tanks before new refueling at Pol. 

Edited by magnemoe

Visited my two bases.

Spoiler

20200504102500_1.jpg

Val, Bob, and Mitcott on the Mun with Virfry, Bill, Admin, and Natabin.

20200504111152_1.jpg

Val, Bob, and Mitcott on Minmus with Traory, Herzon, Thompden, and Tefen.

I created some proper decals:

lNN6c99.png

... which finishes up (at last!) the aft tank, mid tank, and forward tanks. If you have Wild Blue Decals installed then you'll be able to configure decals on these parts If you don't, then the decals won't appear, giving you a nice pristine surface. Still more to do, but the Mk-33 is finally shaping up!

I landed the HMS Sauron on Dres and determined that it actually does exist.

kw3CzIu.jpg

I think I know what Jeb's thinking here.

IzsLWzn.jpg

Landed!  Definitely on the first try.  Yeah, m-hm.

VbY7GTq.jpg

Flag time!

4TEkJNy.jpg

The Dres canyon does have some pretty cool shots, I gotta admit.

aDGHKVu.jpg

My! very! first! ever! trip! to! Dres!! (while testing a new, "high-energy transfer" test vehicle):

6d1UCYJ.png

I've since taken the Mk1 Crew compartment out, realizing the Kerbals would be trapped inside it with no exit.

Edited by Hotel26

22 hours ago, rettter3 said:

I started this thing(don't actually ask why):

VMo6jin.jpg

1aJ4Szd.jpg

mUjRhKu.jpg

Actually a pretty fast biplane. But 10Rapiers also deliver a lot of power:cool:. Might be even faster, but it got unstable, so yeah still a bit of work to do.

I think you started then forgot to stop... that thing is huge.

Kudos.

Edited by purpleivan

My past few sessions have been trying to land an asteroid. Class A, should be simple, have done it before... but this one is not coming down.

I have the impression something has bugged. I have mined all I could (to reduce density) and it says it has 0,5T. But when I try to get into Kerbin there's just no way of slowing it down. I've been trying to bring bigger and bigger craft to dock to it but it's never enough.

In the latest iteration today I had a mammoth with a few tanks, including an S3-14400 Tank. Still, 1,200m/s on LKO. That's... still not enough as it will not slow down enough in the atmosphere to drop parachutes (it doesn't help that I want to land the thing on or very near the space centre).

Last thing I did was trying to detach from the asteroid to dock a larger craft with three S3-14400 tanks. But the game bugged and the asteroid won't separate, so I got fed up and rage quit. Now I'm afraid of loading the game up and realizing the bug is still there, because it will be a pain to solve it. Plan is to bring up an engineer and weld some docking ports with KIS in order to then dock the extra tanks - and, with this, make a sort of multi-stage space-x type of landing rocket... thing.

I must say this particular one got me very frustrated. And I hate using quicksave/load, but I just can't fathom having to grasp a new asteroid for every attempt if this keeps happening for some reason.

There. It's now out of my system, sorry for the vent. :D 

47 minutes ago, luizsilveira said:

My past few sessions have been trying to land an asteroid. Class A, should be simple, have done it before... but this one is not coming down.

I have the impression something has bugged. I have mined all I could (to reduce density) and it says it has 0,5T. But when I try to get into Kerbin there's just no way of slowing it down. I've been trying to bring bigger and bigger craft to dock to it but it's never enough.

Sounds like this bug could be the culprit

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24855

there is a possible fix listed in the discussion

4 hours ago, Rhomphaia said:

Sounds like this bug could be the culprit

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24855

there is a possible fix listed in the discussion

My dude! 

Thank you so much. I thought I was going crazy. I should have realized before it could be a bug - it'd have saved me several real life hours and frustration over a few gaming sessions. Thank you! 

That fix solved it instantly and then landing very near the space center was a breeze. 

Now, as for detaching the asteroid... That didn't quite work. I can even disarm the grabbing unit and it will clip through the asteroid, yet they remain as one vessel.

So I wanted an asteroid as decoration for my space centre; now I have one with an attached spaceship I guess. :sticktongue:

Thanks again. 

Made an extremely agile plane for my standards, meaning it only takes a couple seconds to get turned around instead of ten or twenty.  It can do a loop in about 5 seconds.  In the SPH (got it right this time):

KwOXHmQ.jpg

The plane lifts off at about 35 m/s.

eW7xLFl.jpg

Buzzing the control tower!  This screenshot was really hard to take.

LtSxlso.jpg

Pulled up 180° to zip just over the VAB upside down:

uXDG80E.jpg

Just after I went over the VAB, I whipped the plane around and made an attempt at the R&D bridge, the classic plane stunt.  Even though I clipped the fuselage on a truck on the other side, Jeb survived and I did go underneath, so it counts!

QUb8Cu2.jpg

I should get some kind of video recorder, because these screenshots just don't capture it.  Anybody know of a free recorder that doesn't block the altimeter with a logo?

I finally, after a lot of trial and error and some help from the mod creator, made a patch for a Cryo Engines that makes the engines toggleable between using liquid hydrogen and liquid methane as their fuel, with corresponding changes in ISP as hydrolox has more ISP. Only one engine as of yet and the plume and sound effects only work in one mode so far, but I know what else needs to be changed to make it all work correctly and then roll the changes out to the other engines.

I also tried out KSTS for the first time, which went well until I tried to deploy a million funds worth of scanner satellites with it (those new scansat parts are expensive!) and discovered that launching two or more things to the same orbit meant that they slightly... merged... I also now have many fuel tanks floating around Kerbin that I used as ballast for the reference launches and now need to clear out before they hit something- one of them is over 600 tons!

14 hours ago, Astrion said:

How about OBS Studio?

14 hours ago, RoninFrog said:

I should get some kind of video recorder, because these screenshots just don't capture it.  Anybody know of a free recorder that doesn't block the altimeter with a logo?

Going to second OBS as a suggestion; I used it to make my Alcubierre Drive tutorial video a few years back. The relatively low quality of the video can be attributed to the memory usage of KSP alongside another program running at the same time on a box designed for office work (as opposed to a dedicated gaming rig). Twas also my first experience with OBS, if you couldn't tell...