What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Jeb, Bill, and Bob visited the Low Orbital Station today! I am testing out hardware for my manned Mun missions and took the Block II crew module up to the station during the LKO testing phase. Unfortunately, during docking we clipped one of the solar panels and were unable to repair it. Notably, because the command pod is being designed for Mun missions it actually masses more than the whole station it is docked to.

m4XIAnh.jpg

The crew spent four days at the station before deorbiting safely.

Edited by southernplain

In addition to standarbase I also have the  tandardbase-XL who uses 3x3.75 meter stack, crew quarter for 12 rather than 6, an flag bridge who can replace KSC, and an more advanced part production facility. They are only used on Pol and Gilly who I see as hubs for their systems. 
However compared to Jool express it looks small. 
4pfkEdLh.png
On top of it is an plane for Laythe, an Tylo SSTO for crew exchange with base and an fuel depot for Laythe as I need to sample multiple biomes on the other side of the moons, plane is an tailsitter who can take off from an water landing. 
Its currently in Tylo orbit waiting for the SSTO to be in position to launch to intercept. 
Layte plane has landed so waiting for time to send it off.
mFN2z0Gh.png

4 hours ago, southernplain said:

Jeb, Bill, and Bob visited the Low Orbital Station today! I am testing out hardware for my manned Mun missions and took the Block III crew module up to the station during the LKO testing phase. Unfortunately, during docking we clipped one of the solar panels and were unable to repair it. Notably, because the command pod is being designed for Mun missions it actually masses more than the whole station it is docked to.

m4XIAnh.jpg

What mods do you use for it? Looks like a part revamp mod.

Landed on Tylo for the first time.  I brought along an ISRU that was definitely too heavy for the job so it could refuel on the surface.  I never quite realized just how fast you are moving over the surface when you come in close on a low orbit.   All my past Tylo missions were from  much higher up.  (The eagle-eyed among you may notice that in the first pic the lander is missing the payload.  I... forgot to take it with me when I first disconnected, I had to go back and fetch it before descending.)

RuFLQNf.jpg

JKGg4b4.jpg

Definitely nail-biting.  By the end I was hearing this in my head.  

Edited by PTNLemay

51 minutes ago, Astrion said:

What mods do you use for it? Looks like a part revamp mod.

Mostly it is Restock and Stockalike Station Parts Redux for the station. The solar panels are Bluedog Design Bureau and I think some of parts may have been tweakscaled. 

Got a little flying in between launches for my Out of the Sands career.

4oNuHEz.png?1

First was Jeb taking a small Mk 2 shuttle design for some atmospheric flight tests.  It was pretty pointless as I already have an operational SSTO with one more seat than the shuttle design.  It also had very sluggish handling and was slow - barely breaking mach 1 in a shallow dive.

WrUoHyC.png?1

XVZhdh4.png?1

Next, Jeb found an old CF-03 Tigercat that he got running & took up to test some heavy ground attack rockets.  The ole Tigercat still flew nicely, but the heavy rockets were horribly inaccurate - both pairs actually collided with each other after launch before more or less flying straight.

GPjJKgg.png?1

0HxAqMC.png?1

sOFRNUn.png?1

1 hour ago, Castille7 said:

I loved this! I went and found all the other episodes. It is so cool to see all of @klond's and @Triop's stuff put into a scene. The sound editing is great.

This deserves it's own thread.

(I'm guessing there is no Kerbal equivalent of OSHA or Worksafe).

Edited by Klapaucius

Mining on Gilly.  I think this is interesting because it's only the second application I've made of a geosynchronous orbit.

Ml3OXNR.png

This is GX1 Nova space station (center) with a Zephyr booster docked (left) and GG1 Goblin surface-miner (below) about to unload fuel.  The space station is stationary 41km above my mining site ("83E Sugard 2922").

It's a fast trip to cover that 38km or so, straight up or down as the case may be; nominally at 100 m/s.

On the negative side about Eve/Gilly and mining, Gilly is a pain to get to and the maneuvering can take days.  Therefore...

I am sending to Eve, by express transfer, a) one Outpost asteroid observation post to adopt a kerbolar orbit inside Eve's own, and b) one Mosquito asteroid hunter.

And thus I discover possibly the only truly advantageous use for asteroid mining: providing fuel directly in LEO -- since Gilly is too hard and Eve is nigh impossible as a source for fuel in orbit.

Edited by Hotel26

7 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I loved this! I went and found all the other episodes. It is so cool to see all of @klond's and @Triop's stuff put into a scene. The sound editing is great.

This deserves it's own thread.

(I'm guessing there is no Kerbal equivalent of OSHA or Worksafe).

Thank you! I have it on KSP Fan Works; not sure if that's the best place. 

Also OSHA is not allowed at any KSP Facilities, all accidents are Scientific Experiments. We can't have them spoiling our fun!.......lol

Edited by Castille7

16 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Also OSHA is not allowed at any KSP Facilities

I am expecting they are very advanced in the principles of kerb-immunity, too then?  Very industrious, these kerbals...

Edited by Hotel26

Today, I have finally got into orbit. I really don’t know why, but it took me a really long time. 

The reason it took so long is because I was trying to make it the smallest craft that could orbit Kerbin.

Anyways, with that done, I can focus on other challenges.

Made some (failed) attempts at the Solid SSTO challenge:

inq0Rbc.png?1

Actually made a nearly 120km Ap, but control issues prevented coming anywhere close to making orbit:

ug7ZvUo.png?1

If you don't make orbit, you can use your deorbit SRB's for braking after landing....

bFgnFWG.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I finished the tailfin and body flap, then tested a prototype of the redesigned main wing:

[snipped awesome images]

Wow! This is looking fantastic so far!

Are you basing the heatshield tile textures off the Cormorant Aeronology shuttle, or something else?

5 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Wow! This is looking fantastic so far!

Are you basing the heatshield tile textures off the Cormorant Aeronology shuttle, or something else?

The tiles are a combination of:

A.R.M.O.R. - Advanced Robust Metallic Operable Reusable, the black underside tiles, my own design based on real world metallic tiles of the same name.

AFRSI - Advanced Flexible Reusable Surface Insulation, the outer white quilted tiles based on @benjee10’s quilted tiles.

FRSI - Felt Reusable Surface Insulation, the inner non-quilted tiles, based on stock Mk3 but with some subtle fabric bump maps.

The X-33 used a combination of the above and others depending upon location. I figured that my Mk-33 should follow suit, and it gives different things to look at.

Edited by Angel-125

The Tripoli arrived at Duna.  Thanks to the spare lander (and the abundance of deltaV provided by the vasimr engine) I was able to pass by Ike first and do a test-run.  The lander worked just fine.  We accepted a rescue mission of a poor Kerbal who had been left behind in Duna orbit (our considerable excess food meant this wasn't a problem, we still have enough for 6 years) before moving onto the actual Duna landing.

7VUAD0o.jpg

yoElCJH.jpg

The return to the carrier is a bit snug.  I didn't want parts dangling off the ship too much, so I kept this "docking bay" relatively tight.  But it works so long as you take it slow.

yZwfFm6.jpg

uI87k3k.jpg

I made a short lived attempt to correct the issues I was having with the solid rocket SSTO challenge.  The part bouncing & weirdness seems to be fixed now - but now my wings departed on their own shortly after takeoff.  The wings are the two objects above & behind the soon to crash spaceplane

cZNsGHQ.png?1

Miraculously, the pilot survived the impact with the ocean at nearly 300 m/s. 

kYI5EP3.png?1

I'm doing some biome hopping with a weird quadcopter/ascent rocket hybrid on eve. Landing stability is not very good with this form factor. But I like this first Eve adventure.

LFvnjmg.png

Cruise is slow but steady.

eDoqYcD.png

I also landed an isru rover near the equator for future visits

jwSh5uT.png

Finally! And when I say "finally" remember, I have been trying for years... and I think SpaceX may have beaten me to it... in real life (many times over!)!!! ;)

https://imgur.com/HNrjkfn

HNrjkfn.jpg

PS, 100% stock, except for MechJeb helping with landing, and me giving it some encouragement. :P

Edited by Technical Ben