What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 5/17/2013 at 10:44 PM, rryy said:

I watched as two solar panels from some unknown catastrophe reenter the atmosphere. Then, I placed a probe in a high Munar orbit, and also decided to experiment with recording videos. As a result, I have my first

! :D

I use to use bandicam to record my screen, but I'd now recommend OBS. Its free and very intuitive, most streamers and recorders use OBS.

On 5/8/2020 at 11:29 PM, Cavscout74 said:

I made a short lived attempt to correct the issues I was having with the solid rocket SSTO challenge.  The part bouncing & weirdness seems to be fixed now - but now my wings departed on their own shortly after takeoff.  The wings are the two objects above & behind the soon to crash spaceplane

cZNsGHQ.png?1

Miraculously, the pilot survived the impact with the ocean at nearly 300 m/s. 

kYI5EP3.png?1

Wouldn't it be easier for a srb ssto to be a rocket and not a plane?

I sent Ares-10 on my first manned mission to the Mun in JNSQ. Three Kerbals conducted a Mun orbital insertion and then returned to Kerbin safely in a test of the full Mun landing architecture.

c8HThAX.jpg

Ares-10 atop Jool-V SN104 at KSC Pad 2 waiting for liftoff.

r5hIBmB.jpg

J-4A stage powering Ares-10 into orbit.

2KSAZVo.jpg

J-3A stage separation once orbit was achieved.

xcVNLmI.jpg

The Crew and Landing Module departing for the Mun after J-2A stage burnout and separation.

Bg0zwrq.png

Lodlo Kerman on EVA contemplating the long trip home after Munar departure burn.

While waiting on Koperincus 1.9, I decided to make a fully reusable sytem for getting cargo to orbit of 3x Kerbin, although I've been testing it on 1x Kerbin, simply knowing approximately what it requires.

I would like to do an Alien Space Program in 3x rescale, and thus getting too and from Kerbin orbit requires not just something that is recoverable, but reusable in the field with ISRU.

My old 3x kerbin cargo SSTO used fairings (not reusable, even if the craft is recovered), and a significant amount of nukes (which I'd want to avoid for RP reasons), and had a >120 ton to orbit payload. I previously made all chemical rocket Mk3 cargobay and ramp using SSTOs for 3x, but their payload fraction was horrendous with the 10 tons just for the cargobays and the drag of the mk3 parts (try going 3km/sec while still low in the atmosphere, and needing 4,150 orbital velocity!).

I had switched to using a recoverable 2 stage design with no nukes (much faster time to orbit), but it used decouplers and payload fairings.

The 2 stage design has a high TWR rapier stage that climbs steeply and goes into rocket mode to get into a suborbital trajectory with a high Ap, so that the orbital stage can complete orbit and deliver a >120 ton payload to orbit before the 1st stage falls back into the atmosphere. The steep climb thus avoids most drag losses, so adopting mk3 bays aren't a problem.

The mk3 bay realistically can only hold payloads on the order of 40 tons, so I went about downscaling the 2 stage system to deliver 40 tons to orbit, and then I redesigned the connections to connect using docking ports.

Robotics were too weak for this task, and very good alignment is needed for aerodynamics. A single connection would be too floppy, so I painstakingly aligned a 2nd (shielded) docking port connection... and manage to make a system where the orbiter and 1st stage carrier plane can dock on the ground, first with an docking port aligned along the forward axis, then connecting a 2nd docking port on the top of the orbiter/bottom of the carrier (its important for alignment to first connect the forward docking port of the orbiter).

The orbiter loads payloads via a Ro-Ro ramp.... The carrier lofts the orbiter to 120 km and 2000 m/s orbital velocity (will be less in 3x), while the orbiter has about 2,700 m/s with a 40 ton payload.

18 hours ago, kspbandit said:

I use to use bandicam to record my screen, but I'd now recommend OBS. Its free and very intuitive, most streamers and recorders use OBS.

Firstly welcome to the ksp forum, secondly I don't think that quoting a post from 2013 by a user that doesn't visit the forum from 2 years!:wink:

However, can somebody tell me a tutorial to go to Duna in an easyyyyyyyyy way?

2 hours ago, Goaty1208 said:

Firstly welcome to the ksp forum, secondly I don't think that quoting a post from 2013 by a user that doesn't visit the forum from 2 years!:wink:

However, can somebody tell me a tutorial to go to Duna in an easyyyyyyyyy way?

I think you're right, i'm new and i didnt realise how old it was lol, also I have a tutorial to duna on my channel, 

Just now, kspbandit said:

I think you're right, i'm new and i didnt realise how old it was lol, also I have a tutorial to duna on my channel, 

Thanks! I like it also because it doesn't has that slowww nuclear engines!

4 minutes ago, kspbandit said:

I only record at 720p as that's the most my free video editor will allow to output. I could easily move to 1080p, if I found a free video editor alternative.

Ah, I thought that. Maybe xbox companion pc app? It isn't the best but... it works.

10 minutes ago, Rocket Witch said:

Endless Sky and Naev are open source spiritual successors. Both even have their own versions of the Kestrel.

I've played both.  They're good attempts, and they're good copies - but they still feel like copies, and not quite up to the original.  Partly it's that they're in continuous open-source development - they never quite get the final polish and balance that the EV games had.  Also, EV Nova and some of it's plugins had a good story as well, something worth really playing through each plotline.

So while I like them, I'd still rather replay the originals.

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I've played both.  They're good attempts, and they're good copies - but they still feel like copies, and not quite up to the original.  Partly it's that they're in continuous open-source development - they never quite get the final polish and balance that the EV games had.  Also, EV Nova and some of it's plugins had a good story as well, something worth really playing through each plotline.

So while I like them, I'd still rather replay the originals.

Not going to post here as I'm unsure of forum rules regarding this source of thing. But with AmbrosiaSW apparently out of business, there's several sites up with help getting the EV games running. Specifically if you have an old key, there's ways to bypass the insane "You must activate within 90 days of purchase" thing their later titles did.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix-D said:

Not going to post here as I'm unsure of forum rules regarding this source of thing. But with AmbrosiaSW apparently out of business, there's several sites up with help getting the EV games running. Specifically if you have an old key, there's ways to bypass the insane "You must activate within 90 days of purchase" thing their later titles did.

At some point I may go through the trouble to get one of those working - which for what I've seen would require me to get a Windows version of the game running someplace...

(Both because most of the efforts I've seen have been on the Windows editions, but also because the games were 32-bit and the most recent macOS won't run anything that's not 64-bit.)

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I landed my stock recreation of the Starship lunar lander variant near the south pole of the Mun.

A15z8y2.png

Sadly it doesn't have enough dV to get back into orbit. Back to the drawing board, I guess...

was it fully fuelled before landing, whiles in lunar orbit?