What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

46 minutes ago, kspbandit said:

was it fully fuelled before landing, whiles in lunar orbit?

No, it was refuelled in LKO and had to use part of that fuel to reach Munar orbit, as the real spacecraft will (at least on its first mission). Part of the reason for the lack of dV is probably poor design, but my piloting was probably inefficient too.

Made a little more progress on my manned Duna mission for Out of the Sands, with the final launch completed and the first few transfers performed.  Didn't have enough time to get the rest done today though.  Also got a pair of craft launched to Jool - a twin RA-100 relay & a remote rover for Laythe. 

Launch of the crew vehicle to haul my kerbals back & forth to Duna - I apparently missed a stage when figuring out the dV, because the Sarnus first stage was enough to get a 140km Ap with ~200 m/s remaining.  I actually staged it away after leaving the atmosphere, as I realized it wasn't needed.  The second stage has nearly enough dV for the round trip to Duna before I even fire up the nuke engine on the actual crew vehicle.  I think I could've used just a 3.75m launcher instead of the 5m.  Maybe I had a flashback from my JNSQ install.....

741J45X.png?1

Laythe rover climbing away from the Dessert space center at dusk

2TpzYD8.png?1

Hard to see, but the Duna Racer contract probe departing for Duna - it performed fly-by's of Mun & Minmus, with the final destination as Duna. 

xxRWMYM.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

i also did this a couple days ago with the kspie antihydrogen tank

OAn3Bw7.jpg

i did this at the jool system, and it lit EVERYTHING up, jool and all of its moons lol... also, thats 433 tons of antihydrogen going off... can someone do the math and see if that amount of energy can blow up Jupiter... or even the SUN?!

also, its a funny reference to what it sounds like when you drop a spoon at 3am (based on other pics of that kind of thing, its literally impossible for me to stay up that late lol)

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

Hi everyone! In honor of the new update that is coming out soon, I would like to create a nice user-friendly thread with the high hopes of making it a megathread.

Here's the question: What did you do in Kerbal Space Program today?

I formed a plan to get to Duna and successfully executed the first task of my mission: Build the ship.

The rendezvous and docking went smoothly. It only took me some 20 minutes to rendezvous and an extra 5-10 minutes to dock. Now all I have to do is wait a while for Duna to align itself properly, then I'll be good to go.

What did you do?

Project Spudnik:   (I am pretty excited about this one!)

Executive Summary:

Capture a Category E asteroid in inner Moho orbit with a near-zero inclination angle and establish a semi-permanent base.

The base will act as an interplanetary transfer hub and refueling station.  Transfer windows for this orbit occur with 100-170 day frequency for all other bodies (except Moho), offering an accelerated flight from origin A to destination B.

C39rRW2.png

Spudnik is a simple upgrade to my lunar mega-refinery KP Luna Vista, with addition of: claws to the 8 ORB (Ore Refining Blocks), an Operations Hut and an RA-15.  The lifter is my Aquila VIII.

[click any image and use arrows for a slide show]

RWlSaqT.png   Vnzz8JI.png

HSsXImX.png   QqwAF3G.png

The 8 ORBs plus the Hut, when docked to the target asteroid, provide 9 more docking points for visiting ships and for the Aquila VIII, which will provide bulk fuel storage.

Periodically, this nomadic settlement will have to find and move to a new asteroid as it "wears out" its home.

Bottom Line:   Is it going to work?  No one knows...  (even I think this one is a krakpot plan!)

Edited by Hotel26

12 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

i did this at the jool system, and it lit EVERYTHING up, jool and all of its moons lol... also, thats 433 tons of antihydrogen going off... can someone do the math and see if that amount of energy can blow up Jupiter... or even the SUN?!

7.783*10^22 joules. its a sixth of the Chicxulub impact.

12 hours ago, JcoolTheShipbuilder said:

1 minute ago, Doggydog said:

7.783*10^22 joules. its a sixth of the Chicxulub impact.

That's one of the things I like about this forum - almost every time someone says "can someone do the math on...." a few hours later, someone has actually come along and done the math.  :cool:

I keep throwing stuff towards Moho. Whatever I throw at it, runs out of fuel after the capture burn. So Moho's orbit is now a junkyard of ships with empty tanks lol.

Threw one with 300t and 12km/s at LKO ship at it. Last stage was a lander carrying a drill and a converter. Hah, I'll finally get the whole fleet moving again, even if bit by bit. Or so I thought.

It arrived in LMO with juuuust enough fuel to land. But I fit it with a spark instead of a terrier, so there's no way it has enough thrust to take back off even while empty - let alone after it's refueled.

Back to the drawing board. Might send a poodle by itself and KIS-engineer it there and then. It might take a month or so of real-life time tho, due to the juggling of all the other ongoing missions.

Just now, luizsilveira said:

I keep throwing stuff towards Moho. Whatever I throw at it, runs out of fuel after the capture burn. So Moho's orbit is now a junkyard of ships with empty tanks lol.

Threw one with 300t and 12km/s at LKO ship at it. Last stage was a lander carrying a drill and a converter. Hah, I'll finally get the whole fleet moving again, even if bit by bit. Or so I thought.

It arrived in LMO with juuuust enough fuel to land. But I fit it with a spark instead of a terrier, so there's no way it has enough thrust to take back off even while empty - let alone after it's refueled.

Back to the drawing board. Might send a poodle by itself and KIS-engineer it there and then. It might take a month or so of real-life time tho, due to the juggling of all the other ongoing missions.

Wanna refuel them all in one go? :D I have a solution.  I sometimes use it to refuel space stations and Eve-bound landing parties.

Finished getting my Duna mission on the way in my Out of the Sands career.  Update here

Performing EVA inspection of the Medium Crew Vehicle prior to Duna transfer:

8gCr5LR.png

Lancer-Duna outpost performing transfer maneuver - the low TWR gave me plenty of time to reset all the parachutes' min pressure to 0.01.

HnrOdH1.png

I have quite a few amazing ships in my saves, and other ones are just... random

like this one lol. i made this because i found that the B9 HX heavy propulsion device kinda looked like a massive light and got a little carried away

i7TUQ7B.jpg

There is a bipedal mech right next to the canteen, and the ship that brought the mech is at the left side of the screen. the mech can do 20m/s on Kerbin, and is entirely stock apart from three structural parts lol

Its a "canteen" with lights that change color in a rainbow sequence, and the top spins at 5rpm, like a lighthouse. the lighting it makes can be seen from low minmus orbit! well.. could, IF the loading range was much further lol.

C7Phl4E.jpg

i actually just used that engine, and it kinda looks like a light. i have the large frame in the center so the plasma passes through lol.

oY8nR4c.jpg

Random fact: in those containers, there are literally THOUSANDS of TACOS

when it was going to minmus, i sometimes called it "the rave ship", cause of the lights and stuff lol

here is another pic

nOn81je.jpg

*Dragon and Toast plays in the background*

ok this is just awesome, i really like the soundtrack editor lol

8ATgFK8.jpg

Edited by JcoolTheShipbuilder

Did literally noting except load the game, see it crash, try it again, another crash, repeat x2. Looked at the logs, found that the error was that I had simply run out of RAM. Welp, 183 mods will do that. Ordered moar RAM. For the next week or so, I'll be playing stock. It'll be a good chance to experience the stock game for the first time in like 2 years.

I got tired of waiting around for KSP 2, and decided to finally download both DLCs and start a new career save. My ultimate goal is to establish a permanent presence on Laythe. I got most of the usual starting contracts done today, and plan on landing on the Mun tomorrow.

DoX60GK.jpg

Edited by Plane Crazy

Stopped doing just recoverable 2 stage to orbit cargo spaceplanes for 3x kerbin, started to do 100% reusable 2 stage cargo space planes

VxkRhxf.png

q14MMQb.png

lyEAhYK.png

wGhIoBj.png

Now I need kopernicus to update so I can actually test it on 3x instead of 1x with stats that indicate it should probably work on 3x.

iuih8NQ.png

AHv8EkJ.png

Today, I have escaped Eve surface. My exploration quadcopter managed to reach an altitude of 20km on electric props alone before dropping its rotor and going full rocket. It still was not easy, and half my RCS fuel was necessary to achieve orbit. I guess my ascent trajectory was far from ideal. My kerbals are going to spend a bit of time in their capsule while the mothership is refuelling on Gilly. Then they will probably head home with tons of science ! This architecture was quite effective, but the tower like form factor makes landing hard, and splashing impossible. Those props are from NFA, I wonder if stock BG prop are as effective. My next playthough will tell me ! But I still have some missions to finish before being ready to move on :kiss:

zsTtw1G.png

Those props are amazing. Their response time is quite slow which can make landing a bit difficult, but they have plenty of thrust.

xJbvjJ3.png

Good bye dear drone stage !

I0ZUoTA.png

Orbit achieved ! Not on the first try though, I had to reload a couple of time, once because of overheating and once for a lack of fuel.

Howdy y'all. Time for an "I'm not dead, just fighting with four other people for control over the only box in my home that can conceivably load up KSP while the quarantine continues" report.

God, I miss the days when this game would run smoothly on my office laptop...

I've got log entries for eight out of the last thirty days, which I suppose is better than nothing although not by much. Report period begins on April 15th with a mass driver shot from the Bohai 2 outpost on the surface of Bop to the Imo Pyramis Shipyards in orbit, transferring fuel supplies, Rocket Parts and Xenon Gas in the wake of the shipyard's recent completion and launch of a Boop-Boop 7x probe. The probe itself burned successfully into a 228.5 by 189.4 kilometer, 153.38° inclined orbit for contract, but not before the Auk XVII 24-passenger spaceplane that had delivered twenty colonists and three tourists to the C. P. Baker outpost on the surface of Laythe made its way back to space station Laytheport with the tourists still aboard. The plane docked safely at the station after spending close to eight hours away in total. Once docked, tourists Janfrey, Hilsey and Maxpond Kerman boarded Gilligan awaiting their return at the station. Gilligan then departed and began the process of returning to LSV House Atreides in higher Laythe orbit, with a total flight time set at three hours and nine minutes.

Alas, a tragedy is the last thing I have to report for my activities on April 15th. In my session immediately prior to the one on the 15th, I had flown the Lima 1 quadcopter from C. P. Baker to perform a crew report and surface sample survey about 700 kilometers away from the outpost, and with ample time to do so before Gilligan arrived at House Atreides, I decided to go ahead and try to fly the 'copter home. Owing to a bad startup sequence, the 'copter wound up crashing into Laythe's surface at an unsafe speed, resulting in loss of vehicle and the death of pilot Dudtop Kerman. My last quicksave had been when the Auk arrived at Laytheport, and not wanting to lose most of the day's progress, I made the very reluctant decision to let the crash stand rather than revert. R.I.P. Dudtop...the first kerbal death I've had in this particular career save. As a reminder, I've had this same one going since 1.4...

My next session was on April 23rd. With the loss of Lima 1, I needed to build a replacement 'copter for future Laythe missions. The mourning crew at C. P. Baker was ordered to begin construction of a new Echo Flyer 7 quadcopter craft fated to be designated as Lima 4 (Limas 2 and 3 both being utility rovers parked at the base). Construction time was one hour and 48 minutes, during which time I completed a long-standing Sentinel mission to find a dozen E-type asteroids that could threaten Kerbin - by far the longest standing contract I had undertaken up to that point. I also had the Sleipnir A outpost on Dres drill up 750 units of ore for contract and conducted a gravioli survey flight with the Echo 3 quadcopter on Eve. Echo 3 flew a total of 15.3 kilometers and hit three waypoints before finding the detected anomalous source, then flew 14.7 kilometers back to the Alexander L. Kielland outpost on Eve's surface and landed safely. Makes a difference when you get the autopilots engaged in the correct order.

Next session was on April 25th, which began with the completion of Lima 4 at C. P. Baker. I didn't need to do anything with the new copter right away, so I simply had it take off and land close to the pad.

5SGrotV.png
Of course, the crew at Baker wanted to name the new 'copter Dudtop after their fallen comrade, but mine is not a sentimental space program. Mine has craft with names like 'Fireball 7' and 'Flaming Death Trap 7', and ships named after nuclear weapons tests...

That job done, it was time for Gilligan's rendezvous with House Atreides; the ship arrived and docked without incident. Once secure, all of the operations at Laythe were complete and House Atreides was finally free to continue on her current voyage after a seventeen hour stay in Laythe orbit. Next on the itinerary was a trip into Vall orbit, so House Atreides broke orbit over Laythe and began warp maneuvers to head to Vall. She arrived there after a flight time of seventeen minutes and 36 seconds. Surprisingly I didn't log the orbital characteristics; IIRC, it was one of those ugly orbits but an orbit nonetheless, which I didn't need to gussy-up any because the tourist who wanted to visit Vall only wanted to go into orbit, not to the surface. Anyway, the warp maneuvers closed out my activities for that day.

Picked back up with House Atreides once again on May 6th. With all of the tourist itineraries for Jool's system now finished, it was time to head to the next world on the ship's itinerary, which was Duna. 

R6bQFao.png
HA leaving Jool with another close pass by Laythe on the way out. If it hadn't been for this damn quarantine, I might've gotten to this point well before now.

I spent pretty much my entire time with the May 6th session at warp, beginning with an attempt to gain the speed needed to enter orbit at Duna over Jool, then warping over Kerbol for a while after that didn't pan out all the way (one of these days I'm going to grok the vector math needed and figure out how to shoot for the solution with the instrumentation I've got at my disposal). Atreides was able to recharge her exotic matter tanks while over Kerbol, and eventually I got the ship there at 716.1 m/s, slow enough to enter a 429.3 by 249.3 kilometer, 19.59° orbit to close out the day. 

This past Saturday saw a little bit more activity. I checked the itineraries for my tourists aboard House Atreides again and discovered (to my delight) that while I did have tourists wanting to visit the Duna/Ike system, they were only heading into orbit - no surface excursions were scheduled. I therefore had House Atreides break orbit over Duna and warp to Ike to begin the day, with the ship arriving in a 874.9 by 131.6 kilometer, 9.7° inclined orbit at 259.3 m/s. She stayed just long enough to fulfill the tourist itineraries, at which point Atreides broke orbit over Ike and began the journey back to Kerbin. The ship arrived at Kerbin at 9,233.2 m/s; after 21 warp-back maneuvers she'd slowed down sufficiently to enter a 527.4 by 398.9 kilometer, 4.56° inclined orbit. Total flight time from Duna to Kerbin was just over 79 minutes. Once in orbit, tourist Mersel Kerman joined Jeb aboard Gilligan, which was refueled from Atreides's stores. Gilligan then departed House Atreides and burned for Minmus; she'll arrive at periapsis there in twelve-and-a-half hours, where Mersel will be finishing up Atredies's grand interplanetary mission with surface excursions to both Minmus and Mun. 

Once Gilligan was away, pilot Gregald Kerman took his seat in the command chair of Necessary Evil docked to Atreides, with pilot Gwenlock Kerman taking her chair aboard Strange Cargo (also docked to Atreides) next. The thirteen remaining tourists aboard House Atreides then boarded the two ferry ships. Strange Cargo, Necessary Evil and Roy Hinkley all then took on fuel from Atreides's stores and one by one departed the ship for space station Kerbinport at ten minute intervals, with Roy Hinkley departing first followed by Necessary Evil and Strange Cargo departing last. The three ships would all eventually return safely to Kerbinport (NE and SC on Monday and RH on Tuesday) with flight times of about 72 minutes each, though I missed the initial burn to set rendezvous for Roy Hinkley so she wound up going another orbit around; pilot Gregeny Kerman was glad nonetheless to have his ship back when Hinkley docked at the station.

The day on Saturday ended with word from the Montara Wellhead outpost on Eeloo that the orbital shipyard was ready for launch. After an eighty-two minute delay, engineer Sigzer Kerman climbed into the command pod on the new shipyard and the booster took on fuel. The outpost then launched successfully to a 41 by 40.5 kilometer, 0.78° inclined orbit. Sigzer then climbed into the shipyard's Bigby Orbital Workshop, the drydock was deployed and the Ultima Pila Glacies Yards in orbit of Eeloo came on line. Supplies to the new shipyard were shot up from Montara on Monday via mass driver, and first thing on Tuesday the outpost began printing up an Ikeport Core 7 Station module (which will become space station Eelooport after launch). Total print time is estimated at 39 hours and 28 minutes with one resupply required before the end of that time. With the shipyard away, Montara began the process of finishing up the current Eeloo exploration contract, which simply requires a craft that had landed on Eeloo's surface to return to Kerbin's surface. To that end, a G-LOC 7a return-to-Kerbin craft was ordered up at Montara; total print time is expected to be two hours and 13 minutes. I ended the day on Tuesday with a look around the Kerbin system just to see where everything stood infrastructure-wise. Somewhere along the line, space station Gillyport had disappeared, and so a replacement was ordered up at the Samwell Tarly Yards over Gilly, with an expected print time of 43 hours and 25 minutes. Nothing much to report for the day yesterday except for the beginning of a print of a TBD 7dG base-seeding lander at the Ocean Ranger outpost on Gilly's surface to conduct a new surface outpost mission there. Total print time is estimated at seven hours and 42 minutes. I also drilled up 800 units of ore at C. P. Baker for contract.

So, my activities in the near future all hinge on a bunch of construction projects finishing up whenever they do. I'm pretty sure I can conduct the resupply to UPG and get Eelooport going soon, and LSV House Corrino is still in orbit of Eeloo ready to bring the G-LOC home when the time comes. Mersel's jaunt out to Kerbin's moons is going to hold up the return of the rest of the tourists to the surface - four contracts are riding there, so I hope to get that done in relatively short order. I hope to get that outpost mission on Gilly done relatively quickly; I don't need a new surface outpost there, and to be honest I don't really need the cash either, so it's kinduva pointless thing to be doing in all honesty. I do have a new tourist mission already waiting in the wings that will see a tourist land on the surface of Moho so at some point I'll need to make sure I have the needed infrastructure there. Going to wait on that until the current batch of tourist missions is done just to see what the needed extent of that is going to be.

Hoping to get to play more soon. Definitely going to try to make my next report more timely, and to include more than two screenies next time around...

Made a video starring a land carrier, a sleek fighter jet, a cargo VTOL with variable-sweep wing and much beloved Carrot the Orange Dolphin.

Please do not mind the extra weirdness of this particular vid, just the quarantine taking its toll