What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Started working on my Orbital Minmus base today. It's essentially a giant refueling station around Minmus, and it'll have a nuclear powered space plane(though I am going to put it on a rocket then send it to Minmus, it's not an ssto that will go from Kerbin to Minmus) And I am planning on using it for science purposes, and coolness, cus why not? Also, another big reason is that I found out recently that I am pretty good at orbital rendezvous and docking(I don't get why some say it's so hard) so it's a ton of fun.

I finally got some time to play KSP today, and used it to finish preparations for an Eve landing mission. The massive ascent vehicle got sent up and docked with the Sunbeam over the terminator. 

TORaund.jpg

Since the Sunbeam by itself has a TWR of less than 0.2 g's, I also sent up some Low Kerbin Escape Boosters (LKEBs) to help it take better advantage of the Oberth effect. In the future I'll probably just launch outbound missions from a higher orbit to avoid the hassle.

0A3mRbK.jpg

Having piloted the ascent vehicle to orbit, Jebediah and Hayney took the shuttle back down to the desert airfield.

9RkDIWL.jpg

61R81ym.jpg

dCFppzJ.jpg

ozgUjKp.jpg

I then plotted a transfer trajectory to get the Sunbeam to Eve. The two LKEBs made the burn *much* more bearable, boosting the acceleration from 0.2 g to ~0.6 g for the first few minutes. The Sunbeam made an initial 4 minute burn of 600 m/s, and then 3 hours later came around and did a second 400 m/s burn to reach escape velocity.

2uxU2lV.jpg

LKEB separation. 

dXtNLpK.jpg

Outbound for Eve.

XsJETAr.jpg

tGSNwgs.jpg

Mission album:

Spoiler

TORaund.jpg

JwnFJ2U.jpg

B658Z08.jpg

0A3mRbK.jpg

lwvKP2w.jpg

A5ukdgj.jpg

7lCOLPy.jpg

JsOldpX.jpg

S3oBhon.jpg

9RkDIWL.jpg

KOsHTnR.jpg

zbUACyu.jpg

61R81ym.jpg

dCFppzJ.jpg

TTOwIz1.jpg

h86PLZQ.jpg

ozgUjKp.jpg

2uxU2lV.jpg

wDaaejw.jpg

dXtNLpK.jpg

rTRhwAI.jpg

PlVAtjr.jpg

T9I93L0.jpg

PPQxAeS.jpg

XsJETAr.jpg

tGSNwgs.jpg

There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today
DXPkUD7h.png
This is Dress express returning to Kerbin after replacing crew at Dress base and bringing home science from all Dress biomes. 
It looks like the two large fuel tanks has shifted wile the engines kept their position more or less. 
y8XPgBfh.png
Bottom view. this ship is part of an 5 ship class who all worked well Except this one who has always had trust stability problems who has grown worse. 
Moho express is identical with this, Eeloo, Duna and Eeloo express has some changes to the top part of the ship Duna and Eve have an larger crew compartment for one. 

Here is the ship topping up tanks in Minmus orbit. 
zR6BHJjh.png

Ship will be retired, probably keep it as an Minmus orbital station and fuel depot. 

Edited by magnemoe

Well.. After some weeks away from here, I'm back. :)

I was reading this week about some preliminary designs for the Space Shuttle, and boy.... What wonderful source for ideas.

So I came to this, something 100% reusable launching from the runway (with help) and able to ferry 36 Kerbals (4 crew, 32 PAX) and 120 tons of cargo into LKO.

0000.jpg
0001.jpg
0005.jpg
0006.jpg
0009.jpg
0011.jpg
0016.jpg
0024.jpg

And, obviously, the unavoidable ending for this mission:

0026.jpg
0029.jpg

The thing is not working exactly as it should (the landing is just the pinnacle of the mishaps! :D ).

You can get the full story (and moar pictures, with better resolution) here:

http://ksp.lisias.net/screenshots/2020/05/15-Orbiter-One-Dev/

Edited by Lisias
Forgot the links

Unintentional Ike landing in my "No Contracts Career".  What prompted it was an Ike troll after aerobraking.

e3fvahc.jpg

And I thought, "Hey!  I have the delta-V!  Let's do this real quick!"  The Duna transfer stage was still half full and I had no use for the fuel, so I went for it.  Didn't land too well as the transfer stage wasn't equipped with landing gear.

QCLAubA.jpg

But I "righted" myself to just over horizontal by levering my nose up by deploying the airbrakes right.  These flags are a lot more resilient than the ones in real life.

8hmQfui.jpg

Back on track for the scheduled Duna landing, only 60 m/s less than scheduled!

XNa4lmC.jpg

5 hours ago, magnemoe said:

it seems it's something wrong with our bloody ships today

I had a similar kraken attack some times ago. It appeared after separation from a station, and the decoupling was the trigger. Alway fun to let the game make its own designs :P

LcHM85L.jpg

2d0ORol.jpg

Edited by Altaille
grammar error

Dunfrod Kerman, R.I.P.

Erroneous trajectory; premature staging event; high-speed bale-out (sub-sonic); medical telemetry indicated immediate comatose state ("Rag Doll Syndrome", so called); chute undeployed; smashed into the ocean E of KSC, 30 klicks W of Florida.  Hedgehog equipment: "comprehensively destroyed".

Accident classification: "wholly avoidable".  No further investigation required.

Kerman will be missed.  That is all.

Edited by Hotel26

3 hours ago, Altaille said:

I had a similar kraken attack some times ago. It appeared after separation from a station, and the decoupling was the trigger. Alway fun to let the game make its own designs :P

LcHM85L.jpg

2d0ORol.jpg

Lukily the ship looked much better after restarting the game. However as she was an problem ship all the time she is retired as an fuel depot and space station in Minmus orbit. 
Will launch an replacement for future Dress or Moho missions. 

However one part who always shifts is the alligator hinges who I used extensively for extendable landing gear for tugs. Most of them shift couple of meters in one direction or another, I have to use KAS to fix the legs outside of the hinges and on the later tugs I simply dropped them and just fixed them in position with KAS

Jeb thought that without air time the new recruits would get soft and pudgy (well... pudgier).

To fix this problem Jeb had the entire class take to the skies on the wings of the "Breezy Ride"

KRkFtAW.png

The first takeoff was not without its mishaps, as in complete loss of aircraft and the class scattered along the runway.

Fortunately there were no casualties.

gVAnEvb.png

Before trying again Jeb ordered that as many as possible leave their helmets behind, to reduce mass and drag.

Spoiler

OnQLvgy.png

Takeoff this time was more successful, but many of the class didn't appreciate the lack of protective headgear, even with social distancing being applied.

Uhqlf80.png

To cheer them up Jeb took the Breezy Ride down to skim the wave tops. Some enjoyed this... others did not.

sWKoIwV.png

Hmmm... does this game know something I don't.

GQogxMV.png

Now, where to head to... why the runway island of course, silly question.

Spoiler

NsgHUOk.png

After a long smooth approach landing was a by the numbers affair and the recruits seemed to be relieved to be back on the ground.

orqQsxK.png

Before heading back to the KSC Jeb took the class into Hanger 1, for a quick history lesson.

Spoiler

ghub1XZ.png

Then it was back out onto the runway again.

Spoiler

Tszz8zX.png

Before heading home.

nFqanze.png

NhyFz2x.png

Spoiler

cSvg9a1.png

Edited by purpleivan

Early morning flight school (Rookie Tourist and myself):

UFBCDtA.png

uz9xkq2.png

uAvYCNf.png

The plane is a kerbal-ized CT-114 Tutor. It's a bit faster than the real plane, but it flies solid.

6 hours ago, kspbandit said:

Don't quote me on something that completely irrelevant.

Hardly, since you are referring to an SSTO being built for a challenge I am running, and you commented wondering why it should not take off vertically.  @Cavscout74 has indicated he is working on a design which I am looking forward to seeing.   I was simply clarifying.  We all have the right on this forum to quote anyone. Nothing I said was impolite or out of line, so I am not sure why you felt the need to make such a reply.

Edited by Klapaucius

While doing some experimentation, I pulled off my first deliberate gravity braking maneuver around the Mun on a return from Minmus, zipping past the Mun at 26.6 km retrograde to drop my 6000 km Kerbin periapse to -252.7 km. I had enough fuel to pull up to a more manageable altitude, but holy hell I did not expect it to be that effective!

Early in a career, remember the old method of Munar insertion and threw a probe by the Mun first try. Completely @#%$@# up the capture burn, sending the probe off into deep space. Oops.

The second probe was efficient as hell once I actually got it into orbit- thing flies like a pig in atmo- so I went for a landing. And nulled velocity 1m above the surface. The probe looks incredibly ridiculous just sitting there on it's tiny engine.

Today first started with a new sea rescue plane for career mode;unknown.png

it has quite good flight and landing characteristics and fairly fast, though merely  a mach1 but pretty good for seaplane.

then i started playing with some tanks i made;

it was pretty fun today :)

I just got Breaking Ground, so I made an Untitled Space Raft!

rukpNyT.jpg

The rover part decouples and has two ore tanks so that it will sink.  Launch:

co5p9cX.jpg

Entering the water:

v0aspWF.jpg

The rover has been sunk and recovered!  Time to sail the seven seas!  A little back-heavy there, better transfer some fuel to the front.

d5KEMYA.jpg

At top speed, going a full 0.2 m/s!  We might make it to the Island Airfield by next week!  I could probably crank that motor up a lot higher and go a lot faster as it's only at 105 rpm, but it would look really weird and might flip the raft.

wW2KgBZ.jpg

Here is a terrible-quality video of the raft in action:

This is the proper way to explore places in the Kayak Club!

1 hour ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Lets face it I SUCK AT PLANES! So I can't do an SSTO, right? I have probably at best before this 2 hours of plane experience. Now it's 6 hours:

<snip>

This video is bad quality (video clips are broken) though I have not broken clips BUT they are LOW framerate

https://kerbalanders.wordpress.com/2020/05/17/my-first-ssto/

You need a tail fin.  Really badly.

Haha, see you added one halfway through the video! :D I would also recommend turning off steering for the front landing gear.

Edited by RoninFrog

2 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

You need a tail fin.  Really badly.

Haha, see you added one halfway through the video! :D I would also recommend turning off steering for the front landing gear.

Did both :confused: Still it was hard to do.

15 hours ago, Phoenix-D said:

The probe looks incredibly ridiculous just sitting there on it's tiny engine.

Oh, don't worry. Yesterday I completely forgot to extend my Mun lander's landing gear and ended up touching down on the heatshield. Didn't broke anything and the lander somehow remained upright despite sitting on a curved bottom surface.