What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I think I should've added 2 fuel cell arrays

Good thinking!

I finally bit the bullet on all a) mining, b) ion-powered and c) roving operations to use either fuel cells/arrays or, in the case of b., some times RTGs, rather than solar.

I still may elect for solar for electric props, most recently in the case of my Electroglide, especially in front-line operations in which fuel replenishment will not be available.

Edited by Hotel26

I tried to replicate the DeLorean from the epic movie "Back to the future". I think it looks okay, but I did miss something to make it feel more authentic... That's why I reenacted a part of the last scene from the movie (poorly), just to add a bit more flair.

Tested on a static rig a bunch of SRBs to filter out the duds, and until their model reliability are decent enough for a live launch (my second stage SRB is garbage and fails to ignite way too often). Rehearsed the mission in KRASH twice, sent the rocket to construction. Tonight, I'll warp 10 days ahead and do it for realsies.  With luck, I'll get the rest of the LKO telemetry experiment transmitted back and get a bunch of R&D science out of it. Realistically, I'll probably need to build s second rocket to finish the contract. I'll open a beer either way!

5 hours ago, xendelaar said:

I tried to replicate the DeLorean from the epic movie "Back to the future". I think it looks okay, but I did miss something to make it feel more authentic... That's why I reenacted a part of the last scene from the movie (poorly), just to add a bit more flair.

WHAT DID I TELL YOU!!! 39.3395 METERS PER SECOND!!!!!!!

Today I went to Eve with a probe. That had a scientist strapped to the side. ‘Ol Chedron Kerman isn’t coming back to Kerbin...

But I did get quite a few science points!

It took me like two hours. I built my rocket( I don’t plan missions, I just come up with a loose idea, throw something together see if it works. If not, back to the drawing board...)And I sent it up to kerbin orbit. My transfer stage to Eve used a single NERVA, and I forgot reaction wheels, so I to revert. I got jt into orbit again, and only had to wait about 20 days for a transfer window. I plotted a course for Eve and prepared to Aerobrake. However, I kept on blowing up...even with a ten meter heatsheild. I had to reduce re-entry heating, as I was bordering 30 attempts to enter the atmosphere. After doing that, I did manage to successfully land. I did over do it with the chutes though. I would’ve been fine with two drouge chutes. Oh well...

Got a few more launches done for my Out of the Sands career plus had a few Jool probes arrive in Jool's SoI finally, then had all my notes wiped due to a surprise power failure.

First launch was a Moho emergency fuel outpost.  Since there is no atmosphere to worry about, the folding  panels of the Eve fuel outpost were dropped in favor of simpler fixed panels

Jw6l223.png?1

Next was the long range version of my crew station, also heading for Moho.  Due to the large dV requirements, it took some much larger boosters to help the Sarnus launch vehicle get it to orbit.

oh3DSRY.png?1

The station was modified to include plenty of radiators plus a set of structural panels to shield the crew quarters from the intense sunlight they will encounter around Moho

I09FAfx.png?1

Finally, I got a supply shuttle to Minmus with extra snacks for the base and a large scanning arm to replace to old medium arm on the rover.  Hibernate in warp is a life saver - I totally forgot to add solar panels to the shuttle, but it did have plenty of battery.  With it hibernating, the entire trip took <100 units of electric charge, with over half of that being used during landing.  Only about 25-30 units were used in the trip to Minmus.

YXXsocp.png?1

Empty storage & snack compartment being jettisoned to increase dV of the upper stage that is bringing 500 units of ore back to Kerbin for a contract

bfCECmv.png?1

Hey there :P

Sorry to break this interesting SpaceX fail/draw launch exchange :D but I wanted to let you know I finally succeeded to rescue Bob from the Mun surface where he had been awaiting for more than 40 years that Kerbal's technology could reach a Mun Go and Back. He went there as a pioneer and for the sake of science, and before me understanding how valuable Bob :huh:

Bob felt down on the ground during EVA to join Jebediah but took a sample before leaving as a good scientist that he is.

SYXIxtP.png

Edited by Jereminator
Adding picture : Thanks James Kerman !

Some posts have been moved to the SpaceX thread.  Let's try to keep it on topic, yeah?  We have a SpaceX thread for SpaceX discussions.  :)

I'm trying to get back into KSP by making my own parts.  I'm terrible at it, but at least these work!

7a8screenshot5.png

3 hours ago, SpaceCarmelo said:

They say it's no good to have a launch without checklists.

I play ksp ground-control-style multiplayer via kos and telnet, i have a scheduled duna test launch for this evening :cool:

I wish I had a checklist. The number of vessels that have left Kerbin´s SOI without an antenna, reaction wheel on later modules, or similar nonsense-that-ruins-the-whole-mission-when-it´s-too-late-to-do-anything-about-it is too damn high.

4 minutes ago, luizsilveira said:

I wish I had a checklist. The number of vessels that have left Kerbin´s SOI without an antenna, reaction wheel on later modules, or similar nonsense-that-ruins-the-whole-mission-when-it´s-too-late-to-do-anything-about-it is too damn high.

I landed my 'permanent' crew on Minmus, in the shiny new landing pod:

download

I kinda like this guy, mostly because it looks nothing like most KSP rockets:

download

Seats twelve, if you cram them in the airlocks as well.  ;)  Monoprop only, and plenty to orbit/deorbit several times.

And here's the Minmus base - one of my standardized bases, here shown before cleaning by the resident engineer:

download

That fuel tank managed to embed it itself pretty well in the ground when it was jettisoned:

download

So, added an operation center to the space station I'm building in sandbox. Coms, Pilots seat, remote control and stability wheel are embedded in this short module (it's still in the argon engine exhaust way, I can't get too radial). Also a F4RM, and lab.

8845BD94421C64A33EAE9259456451EBD5CD2CDC

The five mamoths push at full power toward the sky (well, toward the floor, which makes everything goes toward the sky. But it's simpler this way). Wide payload, no need for rocket cone.

4870C0D2E15E6D0A50C035DBE417B60E71125C43

First pair of booster exhausted and ejected. The asparagus sequence is going fine.

2C60FF1C154A59D86CD3CC670B3B907702770A51

Second pair of boosters ejected after exhaustion. And rendezvous burn toward the space station.

C1B3CCB9FABC80ED1F74E5DBFFBF0B94089832A4

Slow approach of the station. Plenty of dV remains in the booster (around 400m/s, I'm moving at 10m/s for the final approach). I'll ditch it at the last minute, burning the last 2m.s on the Lithium RCSes.

8A8B35ECB0DFCC9020630587999FF243E0180985

And the operation center is docked. Slightly angled, maybe I'll do an adjustment later on. But now there's batteries, inertia wheel and antennas. And a control room which is not a cupola like module.

I need to build a docking station next, with spaceship and probes to explore around. Maybe I'll use some stock ones. I'll also need a mining and refining rig, with some asteroid whaling module of sort to refuel everything.

After making a stock+ BG DLC reusable eve surface to orbit shuttle that takes 1 kerbal to orbit with 800 m/s of dV to spare, I have been trying to get a reusable eve cargo shuttle to work.

Initial goal was a mk3 long cargo bay, mk cargo ramp, and 40 ton payload, my standard cargo requirement for cargo shuttles, I realized that the part count would be way too high.

I reduced the bay to the mid sized bay, and the payload to 18 tons... 

First orbiter failed to have enough Twr to get into orbit, let alone before the suborbital carrier reentered.

2nd one had more TWR, but came up short of making orbit....

Darn cargo bay+ ramp still masses 7 tons for an 18 ton payload, compared to my other setups of 10 tons for 40+ ton payloads.

I feel like I am right on the edge of cracking it, even if I will have to be more creative and frugal with the payloads.

Eve will need special reduced size payloads, and I won't be able to reuse my standard designs

More Certain Aesthetic. 

I have launched my Duna starship, the LMK-1. It's going up here, in its 47-ton glory. I will reveal it later. It's inspired by one "cheap" Mars mission plan, which would have essentially involved slapping on a transfer stage or two on a Salyut station and sending that there and back again.

I've also started design on my endgame starship, the TMK-1, inspired by the real-world design of the same name, but I don't have the capability to launch it yet, at least not without getting into rather ridiculous designs, as it weighs in at nearly 100 tons. Will have to wait for a few more nodes unlocked, and the funds to build it.

RTxkTQy.png

In the meantime, I expanded Klavius Kommand on contract: I brought down another MZM-1 to bring the capacity to 24 kerbals. I also did some cleanup work blowing up debris, and did a little sightseeing in Space Niva.

My endgame plan is to build a similar base on Duna and possibly other bodies as well. Worlds with atmospheres will need a whole different delivery mechanism.

E6xC3bB.png

lCJRz1K.png

XuISD5s.png

I really like Space Niva even though by any objective standard it's a terrible rover. Turns like a cow, flips over easily (and can right itself equally easily), and is extremely uncomfortable to drive. Also slow. It can right itself though and so far no essential parts have fallen off so we're all good. Also it's really fun to drive in and out of the garage, it docks every time.