What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I started working on my largest project yet, the Big Boi station.

The name says it all, it's one big boi. I wish I could post pictures, but I do play on console and have idea on how to do that, sorry.

Today I built the first phase of it and launched the core module(cupola, relay dish batteries and empty fuel tanks and docking ports) Then sent up the first of three crew cabins. It consists of 8 mk 1 passenger bays and currently holds 14 kerbals. I forgot to fill the last one up...

It's going to be a very depressing build....I'm already at 157 parts. the playstation starts to lag at a hundred...

I'm building it in a sandbox file cus the other day I was in my science save and started to delete all of the quicksaves I made. I never deleted any, there was something like 67 saves...

To delete the saves on the ps4, you have to hit triangle then square. For one of my earliest saves I accidentally mashed square first...thus I was reverted to when I had only two nodes unlocked on the tech tree. Thus, I ragequit, as months of work were now all down the drain. Seeing as I only had two more nodes to unlock on the tech tree, I just started a sandbox save and did the science necessary to unlock them. In this new save (Lewie Aerospace, sandbox version) I started the Big Boi station. So yeah...

Today I played around with Mechjeb. As you may recall before, I had recently constructed a station called Pioneer Station. Well, I had also manually docked a CTV to the station, leaving one docking port over. I recently got Mechjeb, and played around with it. Anyway, it looks nice enough:

IAU6E6c.png

2oTDYkJ.png

Shameless self plug: 

Today, after a long and arduous construction, KSS Venture was deployed from the Armstrong surface base:

1wVw4sD.png

2GPTTA7.png

It is a ginormous interstellar craft, capable of nearly 200km/s dV with its mighty antimatter engine. I'm yet to detach liquid-fuel boosters that were used to achieve Armstrong orbit, though, as there is still some fuel left in them. And since "legs" are rigidly attached to those fuel tanks, they stay for now as well.

Once the ship is fully fueled (there is no antimatter factory on Armstrong), it will depart for Kerbol.

2 hours ago, Astrion said:

@Lewie Man, that must've really sucked losing your progress.

Yep, it sure did. I’m just going to play in sandbox for quite a while...

just mad at myself for being such a dolt, I should’ve kept my latest quick save...live and learn. 

Edited by Lewie

With open contracts on Duna and Ike. I launch a mission to take care of them.

img%5D

The landing on Duna is always exiting. Chutes fully deploy at about 1.8 KM in altitude,

img%5D

And a final rocket assist for landing.

img%5D

A ...discussion on who gets to ride on the rover

img%5D

Bob wins and gets the science. After returning to the service module and refueling a successful landing on Ike is made.

img%5D

After returning to the SM there are preparations for the return home.

img%5D

And a successful return close to KSC to close out a big mission.

img%5D

And go SpaceX! Go Dragon!:D

In my career, I got my test model of the new Moho Rover design launched to the Mun.  Amazingly, everything went well with no unplanned explosions.  I even had enough dV on the landing cradle to do a short biome hop (with the re-attached rover). Pictured here near the second landing zone, looking back at the landing cradle.  This happens to be a very good spot for a Mun mining base, with <5 degree slope and an ~11.6% ore concentration.

cq2aGK5.png?1

Spoiler

It took a 5m core with a pair of 3.75m LFO boosters to reach orbit.  I haven't even thought about getting an actual Moho transfer set up yet.

rQvuOZl.png?1

8Wyq8Iq.png?1

Uyqoj2v.png?1

The transfer stage provided most of the deorbit dV, which set me up to be able to do a biome hop later

M0UD23S.png?1

I should've used a better probe core, because it was a little wobbly without retrograde hold - still controllable, but it was a constant fight to keep it retrograde

qDcILEk.png?1

First landing, inside Farside Crate

RO3RfGJ.png?1

Found a large Mun crater <5km away and got it scanned with the large scanning arm for a contract, then headed back to the frame to attempt a biome hop

1JEfRTg.png?1

The hop only took me a few dozen km east of the crater, but it served as a proof of concept (and extra landing practice for me)

QMkHYzW.png?1

Driving around, I found another biome just a few km away, but the ore dropped to 0, so I headed back towards the cradle and found a nice level field, which was the the first picture

I finally was able to get a working version for a space shuttle I've been developing in my current career. Overall, I'm happy with it. It flies fairly well, for shuttle standards at least. It's mainly designed to be a restocking/crew transfer vehicle to my space stations around Kerbin SOI, however it packs enough Delta-v to potentially be able to venture out into nearby interplanetary space. It's first true test will be helping me fulfill a few tourist contracts, I'm very excited. I'll post some pictures later if I have the time.

TMK-1. 

The craft is inspired by a Soviet design of the same name. The lander and orbiter are pure fantasy as there's really no point in KSP to the probes it was supposed to be carrying. The aero shield/cargo compartment in the lander is inspired by the shape of the Venus probe that would have flown with the TMK-1/Mavr.

UJACXz4.png

Y62, D239-D270 - KASDA launches the Mirai-2 space hotel and research lab, as well as three Negi Star Mk2 crew vehicles carrying a total of 48 permanent residents.

2MhEVxy.png

EhccYlp.png

Edited by Pipcard

Well....... shoot.

After watching the launch and docking this weekend, I wanted to try to build a dragonesque capsule as I'm starting to build up my 1.9.1 game, and I needed a LKO crew ship.

4r98IOM.png

Behold the Wyvern.  Room for 3, Enough dV to get to the Mun and back, and built in abort engines.    

Well..... as it turns out... I've been playing way too much Oxygen Not Included of late.

I went to pause the game.   Pause in ONI is spacebar.

Oh.... oh .... oh no.

pMSyJ9p.png

OK, so I have about 300 dV left in the abort system, just about perfect to do a re-entry burn, right?

Oh....  Well in the design phase, I thought it would be a good idea to have that fuel dumped at the last staging so the abort engines couldn't accidentally fire and completely mess up the re-entry.   

So Val has to go up and rescue the 3 amigos.    I'll refuel the first one with abort propellant to see how that would work with an abort burn reentry. 

I sent a probe to Gilly. It ended up with a huge amount of leftover fuel, because the dV calculations in the VAB were way off. It's still attached to the transfer stage.

I JKmoTsT.jpg

I finally got me a scientist after getting pilots and engineers for 8 rescue missions. There was barely enough fuel for a rendezvous, as I timed it poorly, but the crew made it home in one piece.XAl1HT9.jpg

Today I sent up the third module of my Big Boi station, just another crew module. It's 16 mk. 1 crew modules in two stacks with four way symmetry, with the quad rockomax adapter at the bottom for the refueling stations/extra modules. Shame I can't post any pictures...

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Well....... shoot.

After watching the launch and docking this weekend, I wanted to try to build a dragonesque capsule as I'm starting to build up my 1.9.1 game, and I needed a LKO crew ship.

Spoiler

4r98IOM.png

Behold the Wyvern.  Room for 3, Enough dV to get to the Mun and back, and built in abort engines.    

Well..... as it turns out... I've been playing way too much Oxygen Not Included of late.

I went to pause the game.   Pause in ONI is spacebar.

Oh.... oh .... oh no.

pMSyJ9p.png

OK, so I have about 300 dV left in the abort system, just about perfect to do a re-entry burn, right?

Oh....  Well in the design phase, I thought it would be a good idea to have that fuel dumped at the last staging so the abort engines couldn't accidentally fire and completely mess up the re-entry.   

So Val has to go up and rescue the 3 amigos.    I'll refuel the first one with abort propellant to see how that would work with an abort burn reentry.

LOL!  I get that a lot.  Some games I've switch to using WERD as the movement keys to centre them better, some I haven't.  Like KSP's stock 1/10th scale, I wish that default had been different.

In KSP, along with CHECK YOR STAGIN', there's also LOCK YOR STAGIN', which has saved me a few times.  First turn off RCS, then "[mod]-L" (have to turn off RCS because that "[mod]-L" is also interpreted as "L").

16 minutes ago, Jacke said:

LOL! 

Sent up Val, docked, Transferred Bill and Bob over to the module with all it's parts, Jeb calling them wimps the whole time.  Refueled the capsule, got my dV of how much was now in the Abort Stage.   Made a node, lined it up, checked it... well only once to be honest.  Fired the Abort sequence.....

6H0Infx.png

Not bad for a rescue mission.

Edit: When I designed the Abort sequence, I never thought I'd have to use it as an Abort to Re-Entry, especially on the shakedown flight.

Edited by Gargamel

After finding out I need to have two separate launches to complete a rendezvous contract. I send another mission to Ike. At least I can get 3 more crew enough experience for a fourth star.

img%5D

Hanging out for a transfer window back.

img%5D

And arrival back at home sweet Kerbin to finish the contact.

img%5D

Spent some time getting mods installed in a 1.9.1 build to transfer my Out of the Sands career over from 1.8.1.  Then pruning unused parts from said mods & fixing numerous little glitches (#autoloc.... instead of names for half of one mods parts, despite not seeing any error in the localization or part cfg's).   I still have some parts to prune, and need to look over some new parts a few mods added in 1.9. 

My career save loads successfully, but with 2 problems:

a) LOTS of parts have to be re-unlocked (easy enough to fix, just cheat some extra funds & unlock them all again)

b) some parts are just missing from the VAB/SPH but did load into the game (ie no craft failed to load and the saved craft files load into the VAB with the missing parts, but can't launch because they "aren't available")  Really not sure what is going on here - one part, I even copied the cfg from 1.8 over the new cfg and it still does the same thing.   The only two I've identified this problem so far are the Restock+ Schnauzer engine and the US2 8-bay core, but I haven't done a lot of searching so far, so there may be more.  I find it very unusual, because it is affecting 2 different mods.  They show up in the tech tree, show up on in-service craft and show up on craft files, just nothing in the VAB/SPH, even searching for them - and I tried several difference searches.  The log file doesn't show any errors that I can find regarding those two parts.  I though Tweakscale Companion might be doing something, but removing it made no difference.

Edited by Cavscout74

11 hours ago, Plane Crazy said:

I sent a probe to Gilly. It ended up with a huge amount of leftover fuel, because the dV calculations in the VAB were way off. It's still attached to the transfer stage.

I JKmoTsT.jpg

Did you switch the dV from sea-level to vacuum in the VAB? I've forgotten to do that in the past and ended up with way too much dV.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

I launched a 750 ton payload to a 750x750km orbit in JNSQ. 43 first stage engines, over 100,000kN of thrust at sea level and the 8 strap-on boosters were each 5m diameter with a 7.5m core,. My last attempt with that design ‘only’ got 600 tons to a 200x200km orbit; with a bit of optimisation I reckon I could crack a kiloton of payload, although the rocket itself already weighs 6 kilotons on the launch pad and the only way to add thrust is to stick boosters on the boosters.

Also got an SSTO design working with a 60 ton payload, although I’m not sure it technically counts as an SSTO as it uses 4 bolted on Whiplash ramjets and 4 small solid boosters which all get dropped when they’re spent. Plus it uses nuclear air-fuelled engines that use the atmosphere itself as fuel which feels a little bit like cheating.

Using a recompile of Kopernicus, started trying to update my Rald mod to use new textures. I'm not even doing scatterer yet.

Changed from a laythe template, to a Kerbin template... didn't expect the KSC to get duplicated, working on it now.

I'm not quite sure what causes the change in textures... may switch to an eve template

fQkx0cn.png

kPjewpD.png

sSFQQHF.png

Spoiler

2brrBrE.png

vZwH7eX.png

LwTsRzW.png

RPVHBsZ.png

MICisx3.png

rIFFXNW.png

0yzazfb.png

Gave my station a Cupola module that I had planned for some time!
I should have expected this stage to be absolute overkill for a 75000x75000 orbit. I didn't.
3TCzRxh.png

Docked! I tried to align the docking ports as closely as possible (I'm a huge perfectionist) and I've got it... within tolerances.
kzCw5gS.png

But hey, at least I now have 7 big windows look through!
FWvrkDg.png

I think I'm going to remove that flag in the save data later. Kinda ruins the picture. I remember the flag visibility being controlled by a simple flag (haha) in the config, so it should be simple to do.