What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

My Duna expedition began arriving in my career, with the first Kerbal (in this career) in orbit around another planet.  I also had my Jooldiver probe complete its mission, descending to just 1800m before imploding from the pressure

Tbf7RXP.png?1

Mixed between Jooldiver's multiple aerobraking passes and final dive, my Duna crew vehicle, station, rover, supply ship & lander all arrived and entered Duna orbit.  The crew transport and lander are both docked with Duna station.  I ran out of time to find a good landing location - the rover will go down first to confirm a good resource concentration and fairly flat area, followed by the outpost (arrived a few weeks ago), and finally the lander.

DDL-01 (Duna Disposable Lander-01) coasting to closest approach with Duna Station

vsMTtUH.png?1

Spoiler

Rover arrival

IN9F6G3.png?1

Crew transfer vehicle arrival.   Due to miscounting my dV, the LFO upper stage had enough dV to reach Duna and enter orbit with ~100 m/s remaining.  It does ensure I have plenty of fuel to get home, since I only needed a few dozen m/s from the Beacon nuclear drive to rendezvous with the Duna station.

tMvZU2c.png?1

and docking with station

ZBTKvvN.png?1

Lander docking with station

xSJHYgf.png?1

Supply ship entering orbit.  It was originally built for an earlier Eve mission, so the LFO stage had enough dV to get it to Duna and almost inserted into orbit.  The NERV ended up just finishing the insertion burn.  Yes, I know it would've been cheaper and simpler to dump the NERV and the mass reduction would've probably been enough to let the LFO stage complete the whole mission. 

vnhw6uk.png?1

Duna Racer probe  - built for a contract to fly-by Mun, Minmus & Duna, after finishing the contract I stuck it in a south polar orbit to provide better comm coverage in the southern hemisphere

fdzUxpb.png?1

I had a plant a flag on the Mun contract. So it was a chance to train more kerbals and have it paid for.

img%5D

After a very close suicide burn, a good landing (When at 100 ms velocity , I was mostly horizontal passing through 500 meters in altitude. I didn't go vertical with 2 ms velocity until 56 meters in altitude. White knuckle time)

img%5D

img%5D

After returning Gilski was called on the carpet for the dangerous stunt. Later at the bar Jeb paid her tab because "That was some badass flying" 

I decided that today would be a good time to do some internal housekeeping on my pc with regards to steam and my games there. It includes KSP of course since Steam is where I got KSP way way back when lol. Anyway, I wanted to make sure everything in my file transfer from my c drive to my e drive went right. SO, I decided to remove my module manager configs for KSP forgetting to yank out the file folder as well. SO, in trying to figure out if my fresh short cut taken from the e drive was in fact launching ksp I kept seeing module manager applying patches and could not for the life of me figure out how w/ the configs gone this was still happening. Yup, shows just how out of practice with KSP I am lol. Anyway, about 10 minutes of head scratching I checked my short cut, yup that was showing e drive as its home. SO, go into the steam folder, go to where ksp is sitting and what do I see? the file folder sitting there likely laughing 1s and 0s at me for being so silly. I am now going to relax and actually PLAY KSP now. But, ya, that's what I have done SO FAR today in KSP, drive myself nutty with my rusty memory of how it works. Oh, for anyone curious, the file move was successful, and any trace of steam on my c drive is gone and everything seems happy thus far on my e drive. Had to move it because the C drive has like 10gb left where as my E has half a TB left. Ya, I derped when I put steam on my new pc lol. Ok enough blabbering, off to put relay dishes around everything, well, that's the plan. Wish me luck!

Edited by AlamoVampire

Well, I got my relay around Moho and boy howdy I went into that thinking it was going to be easier than it was. I mean, some few versions back I sent a crew to Moho and returned them back alive, and that was a heavy craft what with a crew module and the like. I thought that hey a simply relay dish into a polar orbit would be easy right? lol nope! Ok, first image is just after getting it into orbit around Kerbin, did not think to get a picture of it sitting on the launch pad, but, it had 4 3.75 meter SLS style liquid boosters with 4 Clydesdale boosters strapped onto it for that extra oomph. BUT, here it is in orbit:

DKvONvu.png

Then I decided to grab a picture of it with its just recently entered orbit remaining Dv. Boy, I was smug. It bit me LOL.

ojuUYuU.png

I was smug thinking 6715 total Dv remaining would be sufficient to get into a nice polar orbit of Moho. NOPE! I had to in a panic turn on infinite fuel just to slow her down into a capture. I had already at this point decided that enough was enough, I am here, lets just get this into orbit and be done with it. I couldn't bring myself to faff about with a restart and reload of the mission from build and launch ya know? I may just delete it and try again later, but, for now, it is what it is lol. OH, btw, I learned or relearned <dunno honestly> that screen shots remove your mouse pointer from the image. 

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

I may just delete it and try again later, but, for now, it is what it is lol

Complete deja vu for me reading this.  I hurled hundreds of tons and a dozen crew at Moho early in this epoch to watch it flash through Moho's slippery SOI and managed only to salvage a handful of small ion-powered comsats into lonely Moho orbits.

That hardware & souls Lost In Space have bugged me for a year -- enter Divine Intervention, a modest embedded sub-game, for which to play I built the good ship, Mercy...  Just a suggestion.

My Second Moho Fleet is even now refueling around Gilly to make a thoroughly more cautious approach to Moho, the Fleet-Footed Messenger.

Edited by Hotel26

@Hotel26 i should add that my run to Moho was direct descent from roughly the same orbital altitude as kerbins orbit. I forget at this point about an hour or so post mission If my dive was outside or inside kerbins orbit. Wasnt patient enough to gravity assist lol.

I decided that my fully reusable SSTO launcher couldn't launch enough into orbit. So I decided to add moar boosters.

gwDTibM.png

Those Twin-Boar boosters have wings and probe cores and are designed to glide back to a controlled landing after they are jettisoned. The vehicle has to fly a slightly steeper trajectory than normal so that the boosters have enough kinetic energy to make it back to the KSC. I found that adding these boosters significantly increased performance - without boosters, the sustainer core could put a maximum of 30 tons into LKO - and that was right on the edge of its performance envelope, requiring it to rely on its parachutes (rather than a propulsive landing) on return to KSC. With the boosters, the sustainer can put 30+ tons into LKO with more than enough fuel remaining for a propulsive landing. I'm guessing it could put 40 or even 50 tons into orbit with a parachute-assisted landing, which is good news for my plans to launch interplanetary nuclear tugs for pushing payloads around the Kerbol system.

Of course, this particular vehicle will probably be obsolete as soon as I unlock 5m parts in my career game, but it'll be a great interim solution. And I really enjoy developing launch vehicles :D

The largest part of my contract to explore Eve didn't even let me find out whether it could take off and reach orbit again, as it underwent thermal disassembly around the 40km mark. Turns out I *should* have added heat shields near the top of the probe, to serve as stabilizers/chutes, because the heat shields it did have were little good once things went sideways. Good thing it was just a probe, not a kerballed ship.

On a more positive note, this day was also the first time I've ever found a proof the old myths, and the drunks' tales, of Space Kraken might be hiding some kernel of truth. And we have more than the scanner returns or Sentinel imagery the main probe in orbit sent - we've landed one of the deployable miniprobes near the seemingly dead creature:

screenshot11.png

Maybe the Laythe Colonization Feasibility Mission, already en route to Jool, should take advantage of the robotic refueling probe that's already landed on Pol and investigate.

Coming back to KSP from a rather long pause. As always I go mod-crazy whenever I start a new career. This time it's mostly "SPECTRA" for the beautification, "Kerbalism" and "Probes Before Crew" for the longevity and "ReStock" and "NearFuture" for the building fun and aesthetics.

Yesterday I finished setting up my Kerbin and Mun satellite network (I only have KSP as a groundstation). Here are some pics:

PERpoPo.jpg

EXlIdwO.jpg

BbXTOow.png

f6SwXuJ.png

lB0ewTY.png

First time setting foot on Vall.  Originally I wanted to land on Laythe (hence why the lander has all those parachutes) but amazingly I couldn't get them to land safely, nor even to come back out of the atmosphere without spinning out of control.  So for now, Vall will have to do.  Still very exciting.  First time I set foot on a Joolian moon.

koHX9ws.jpg

iW3hB60.jpg

vCoS3QU.jpg

Thanks to some spare deltaV I did a short hop to a new biome (ditching the side tanks in the process), before calling it a day and heading home.

F0idpVZ.jpg

CXt7L4Y.jpg

JjtcsMG.jpg

On 5/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, luizsilveira said:

I wish I had a checklist. The number of vessels that have left Kerbin´s SOI without an antenna, reaction wheel on later modules, or similar nonsense-that-ruins-the-whole-mission-when-it´s-too-late-to-do-anything-about-it is too damn high.

On 5/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, luizsilveira said:

I wish I had a checklist. The number of vessels that have left Kerbin´s SOI without an antenna, reaction wheel on later modules, or similar nonsense-that-ruins-the-whole-mission-when-it´s-too-late-to-do-anything-about-it is too damn high.

always check check CHECK CHECK CHECK!! 

Finally got my ongoing career moved over to 1.9.1 and running mostly smooth.  I also finally got the manned mission to Duna landed and getting them ready for a long drive to check out an anomaly. Details here

h11tfHw.png?1

9Ga0mta.png?1

After dawn, they got back out to set up surface experiments:

VhHyFwZ.png?1

I played Jool pool.

Vall

img%5D

Laythe

img%5D

Tylo

img%5D

Real close to Bop

img%5D

And finally Pol

img%5D

And with that I think I need to start a new game. I was trying career for the first time and didn't turn the funds and science gain down enough. I have blown through the tech tree already, I'm swimming in funds and need more of a challenge. 

1 hour ago, N_Danger said:

I played Jool pool.

And with that I think I need to start a new game. I was trying career for the first time and didn't turn the funds and science gain down enough. I have blown through the tech tree already, I'm swimming in funds and need more of a challenge. 

Have you tried one of those mods that makes the whole solar system bigger?  It's been so long since I tried it that I forgot the name, but it's quite fun.  I find that lowering the contract rewards (which is what the normal hard-mode does) just makes things more of a grind.  Perform 6 missions instead of 3 to save up enough money to move onto the next thing.  But with a larger solar system, all of the deltaV requirements become more intense.  It's a refreshingly different kind of increase in difficulty.

On 5/31/2020 at 10:48 PM, Lewie said:

Today I sent up the third module of my Big Boi station, just another crew module. It's 16 mk. 1 crew modules in two stacks with four way symmetry, with the quad rockomax adapter at the bottom for the refueling stations/extra modules. Shame I can't post any pictures...

Hmm, don't end up as Matt Lowne, who built a giant space station and krakens destroyed it (kinda)

So, I sent off the Jool 1 aka "Too much Delta-V"  as it is interstellar... Well, it got a 9 years trip and I have 2 years left as I was bored to wait more than 20 minutes. So I built a munar rocket for Val. And it was such a pretty rocket, with tiny CSM and a soviet style lander. But the lander didn't have reaction wheels... :D Well, I haven't docked yet but also if I was only 821 meters away...

13 hours ago, PTNLemay said:

First time setting foot on Vall.  Originally I wanted to land on Laythe [snip]

F0idpVZ.jpg

Cool lander! Though a bit of constructive criticism - even if you had landed on Laythe, would you have really needed a Vector engine? Seems a bit OP :P

Edited by RealKerbal3x

First unmanned landing on the Mun (Probes before Crew). Kerbalism gave me two landing engine failures. Had to use the engine for landing that was intended for flight back (transferring fuel from the landing tanks) so it was a close call. Finally made my way back to Kerbin deserts with lots of juicy Goo and a fully loaded Science jr. :cool:

WTxbAOp.jpg

sG298Wv.png

VlCXa0m.png

ZLnUIzz.png

BVM5xRa.jpg

i4hohgP.png

w08Y4Dw.png

d508WfH.png

pLIT6f2.jpg

HGkBjqU.jpg

Finally some love for our home planet. The new textures look gorgeous!

12 hours ago, PTNLemay said:

Have you tried one of those mods that makes the whole solar system bigger?  It's been so long since I tried it that I forgot the name, but it's quite fun. 

with a larger solar system, all of the deltaV requirements become more intense.  It's a refreshingly different kind of increase in difficulty.

I play a custom 3x rescale.

I use kopernicus (not officially out for 1.9, but there are some recompiles floating around that work for many, but not all, purposes)

And

Sigma dimensions to handle the rescaling (its tedious to do it manually with kopernicus configs)

I highly recommend increasing the scale.

Right now the only challenges I find are multiple destination missions *without* ISRU, reusable eve cargo shuttles (using BG rotors... Or without... Thats even harder), and reusable jool divers

53 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Sigma dimensions to handle the rescaling (its tedious to do it manually with kopernicus configs)

I highly recommend increasing the scale.

Sigma!  That's the name.  I don't know why but in my latest install I simply couldn't get it to work.  I was on 1.7.3, started with it clean with no mods, but no matter what I would do the solar system stayed the normal size.  After reinstalling and trying again for the fourth time I just gave up.  It's a shame because once you play with the bigger system, the stock one looks comically small in comparison.

Guys made this movie when folding rocket but as operating chrome os would be even more than welcome to edit it and put black hole covering my deciphering big bottom at beginning but i make rain check on this due to operating on chrome os .

If you know any program how to edit movie and improve it as beginning is not professional at all. 

I publish like this without edits. HAving next stage to go. [hoping to get any likes and support] 

Much coffee and flowers :>

Keep thigns together.