What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Laythe Plane 2 landed on Laythe, ahead of Laythe Plane 1 :confused:, after some excellently judged aerobraking (read: coming in retrograde at 12kps, frantically reloading and changing periapsis until the heat shields didn't rip off and take the wings/engines/tail/most other stuff with them then hacking gravity to 10x to stay inside Laythe's SOI, saving, un-hacking gravity, reloading and suddenly I had a nice orbit with a 55km periapsis and re-entered smoothly :cool:), came down gently to the ocean and- the probe core smashed on splashdown. Cue another reload and a frantic search for some land to land on before finally making it to the surface and staying in one piece.

Laythe Plane 1 came in 22 days later and was a piece of cake in comparison- prograde orbit around Jool, used up the transfer stage slowing down before aerobrake 1 captured into orbit, aerobrake 2 captured into the atmosphere, landed. Only the game glitched and the sea was invisible so I had to try and find an island by looking for slightly different coloured terrain lumps and the map view, with the signal dropping out regularly because I have no relays in Jool's system. I'll come back to those two and the other plane I put on Tylo (because JNSQ Tylo has an atmosphere!) in a while when the relays are in place.

Also got a cluster of 4 landers into orbit of Bop and despite a chronic lack of signal issue got one to the surface intact. Not sure if JNSQ still has that famous Bop easter egg/anomaly but there's something in the files that suggests it does, I'll have to scout for it.

And in all that excitement, I completely missed the important correction burn for my crewed Jool expedition so had to redo the node 40 days later than planned.

After a long time of being too busy to play KSP, I finally got a chance to resume my Eve mission. KDSS Sunbeam arrived in low orbit around Eve in a two-part burn.

8ziId9a.jpg

6GYRpxK.jpg

4BZf5nU.jpg

Mundon and Thompsey Kerman piled into the lander/ascent vehicle and deorbited. The timing of this shot was completely accidental but I love it!

V6lrKP3.jpg

EDL went pretty well. I got lucky in coming down in a coastal area... lots of biomes nearby and it didn't land in the water.

RzKbtp0.jpg

i2RJWi6.jpg

The weird looking top part of the lander is meant to provide aerodynamic stability until the parachutes can deploy. It jettisons after it's no longer needed.

xmcy5YN.jpg

The heat shield decouples once the main chutes reached full deployment, and with the main engines freed I was able to make a soft landing. It's a bit sideways, but oh well. Mundon and Thompsey are now the first Kerbals to land on Eve!

z9V0Wel.jpg

I also sent an Airborne Surface Exploration Vehicle (ASEV) to give my kerbals some mobility. The ASEV is a VTOL-capable electric aircraft that can be stowed inside a 3.75m fairing. The transfer stage braked into the atmosphere and a parachute pulled the ASEV clear, allowing its wings to unfold.

FE4WmBv.jpg

m1047Is.jpg

LpxC8yD.jpg

The ASEV flew about 50 km over to the lander and switched to VTOL/hover mode before setting down.

6zP0vHs.jpg

WAnyvp4.jpg

Landing operations complete! Time to start exploring.

cE9P4ez.jpg

Mission album:

Spoiler

8ziId9a.jpg

DeRBl0S.jpg

6GYRpxK.jpg

sd1k49w.jpg

4BZf5nU.jpg

U2FD8de.jpg

V6lrKP3.jpg

ukNIn7B.jpg

BpNcWVC.jpg

RzKbtp0.jpg

4hBdiIi.jpg

Xkdzj3f.jpg

i2RJWi6.jpg

8s5GB8m.jpg

EXNXQAX.jpg

xmcy5YN.jpg

cnYfElM.jpg

VQOKfAL.jpg

z9V0Wel.jpg

hEr6ntC.jpg

5EGUtVY.jpg

FE4WmBv.jpg

rLWUdxy.jpg

m1047Is.jpg

9nI0fBo.jpg

LpxC8yD.jpg

uhi8ATG.jpg

CGPPzOR.jpg

6zP0vHs.jpg

cE9P4ez.jpg

whK0BoN.jpg

WAnyvp4.jpg

Edited by BadOaks

24 minutes ago, BadOaks said:

After a long time of being too busy to play KSP, I finally got a chance to resume my Eve mission. KDSS Sunbeam arrived in low orbit around Eve in a two-part burn.

I really like the design of the ASEV. I've been working on a descent/first stage Eve ascent electric vehicle which can reach 17500m before separating and returning to ground for the next usage... The delivered chemical ascent vehicle (single kerbaled) has at that point a total of 4400dv (4900dv vacuum and approx 3170dv at sea level). But the electric ascent vehicle still has some design flaws that make it very uncomfortable to fly. Anyway it is fun :D . 

I sent a big asteroid relocator to a class E asteroid, and realized when I docked that the engines point right into the asteroid and thus can't produce thrust. The only outward-facing engines are four Vernier RCS engines. 

9 minutes ago, JorgeCS said:

I really like the design of the ASEV. I've been working on a descent/first stage Eve ascent electric vehicle which can reach 17500m before separating and returning to ground for the next usage... The delivered chemical ascent vehicle (single kerbaled) has at that point a total of 4400dv (4900dv vacuum and approx 3170dv at sea level). But the electric ascent vehicle still has some design flaws that make it very uncomfortable to fly. Anyway it is fun :D . 

Thanks! Something like that would be awesome. Early on I tried putting some unfolding propeller arms on the ascent vehicle's first stage. Like you, I found that it didn't fly very well, and occasionally developed resonances that violently wobbled it to death :D

If you get it working make sure to @ me.

17 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I sent a big asteroid relocator to a class E asteroid, and realized when I docked that the engines point right into the asteroid and thus can't produce thrust. The only outward-facing engines are four Vernier RCS engines. 

Very Kerbal design! Congrats!! :D 

Edit: for my asteroid relocators I always add a drill and a convert. In this case you could make monoprop and still have thrust ;)

Edited by JorgeCS

13 minutes ago, JorgeCS said:

Very Kerbal design! Congrats!! :D 

Edit: for my asteroid relocators I always add a drill and a convert. In this case you could make monoprop and still have thrust ;)

Yes, it is a full miner as well, adapted from one I attached to my interplanetary mothership. It just has a very low TWR in this unfortunate configuration... :( 

I do love a good Kommunications Satellite network.  Number 4 just about to boost from it's resonant orbit in to it's final orbit.

YSCElEy.png

Unfortunately due to limited parts  so far, number 4 was a little bit bigger than idea...

yXUVrxF.png

Being somewhat over powered it only managed to get within about 2 seconds of the targeted 75 minutes orbit, while the other three were all within 0.1 seconds.  I'll probably de-orbit it and put a better network up once I've got some better equipment, but this will handle comms to the mun and Minmus for now.

Y65, D286 - The WiM-17 miner and probe carrier transfers to Neidon's moon Nissee

TtfCD5f.png

(planned trajectory)

ZDTsqHc.png

Y66, D79 - Amethyst-f lands on Nissee

O6YtUpr.png

(Y66, D80 - A short hop from the landing site)

s3U2BqR.png

Edited by Pipcard

Took a bit of time to add another module to this space station. Some scanners, a docking port and 8 relay sats to be deployed somewhere at sometime.

1636F451BE88975F145DEBB5A1A6AE55EF4B955C

I probably went overkill for the launcher. But everything fits in the 3.75m fairing, and then I got for 5m tanks, and a cluster of engines.

34FFA5D718A99C22BED40AA4FCE4533F278B54E9

Off with the fairing, and off to LKO. Next stop is for the station.

A5DDCC3C9EB0225C0A7201D2F73C9F2D302FA002

I'm still having 500m.s dV at this time in the tanks. During simulation I couldn't manage to stop in time after uncoupling the tank at a speed of 2m.s. So this time I went for a full stop first, at a couple hundred meter, jettisoned the tank then moved slowly, and I could stop before impacting everything.

4DA0726A87189260B670F209669296391B3C31BE

Final approach at 0.2 m.s to dock gently to the big purple station. Oh yes I forgot to add that there's also a lab in this module :)

A11B2BC6D968F75B6769CA1636F420DE83E3CFED

And here it is. Next thing will be a SSTO for crew transfer (I still have all my crew in this station because I forgot to check the crew manifest and every available kerbals jumped in). I'll also need to decide where to send this. And maybe ditch the argon boosters for something with more oomf. I was thinking some non-atmo landers which could be used as engines too.

Sent the first Kerbals to the Mun in this play through.

img%5D

Val, Milfrod and Gergar. pose for a picture.

img%5D

And they have a nice view of Kerbin while going into orbit.

img%5D

Some more shots of the mission.

Spoiler

Next time let's bring a rover to look for Mun Stone.

img%5D

Lift off.

img%5D

Circularizing is for sissy's

img%5D

And I will be launching my first interplanetary mission to Duna later.

img%5D

Been working on a kOS script for altitude changes, boosting the Ap or Pe to a given value.

It's taken a bit of fiddling and a lot of debugging but but I'm very happy with the result.

From an 80x80 ish orbit I told it to raise the Apoapsis to 110km, and then raise the current Periapsis to 120km.

The end result:

q2a3faV.png?2

I think I can live with that. 

then tried raising the Ap to 5000km and the current Pe to 6000km

xHzcE2x.png?1

I make that a 0.0016% error on the semi major axis ::cool:

Edited by RizzoTheRat

I took a crew of three on a mission to Gilly, with a turnout of 5000+ science.

Spoiler

Ascent from Kerbin: Jln4dmj.jpg

Deploying a contract satellite around Eve:kCIutSy.jpg

Doing some surface science:e3xNzOT.jpg

Departing for Kerbin. I was too impatient to wait for a proper transfer window, but the ship had plenty of spare dV.JVc9SP7.jpg

Back in LKO, docked with a support craft to bring the crew back to the surface and refuel the ship for the next mission:

Q1mN76P.jpg

Edited by Plane Crazy

Today I sent my Jool first craft, the Jool 1, to the Jool system. I am currently trying to figure some solutions out, as my game bugs out and is being very problematic. I am thinking I am going to have to splash my crew down on laythe, as I am running out of precious fuel, and I do not have any spare ore. I think it’s tine for @Matt Lowne to bring back the Blunderbirds....this is my first craft to Jool, and I only had a slim idea of what to do. It was intended to be a return mission, as I do have a convert-o-tron, but I doubt it’ll be any use. I don’t have enough fuel to land anywhere(I can’t get a tylo gravity assist, my game won’t allow it, and I have little fuel left. Laythe is probably the best chance for survival...But the Blunderbirds might have to come rescue them....

cus I barely know what the heck I’m doing.

Please, @Matt Lowne, you’re my only hope.

ok, little update-

so I have no idea what happened, but there was some bug where my engines were running but providing no thrust. So pretty much draining my fuel. I didn’t notice, as I was reading a book while the burn. As the burn finished, I did switch the nukes off, and hit timewarp. Even with max timewarp, the time that passed was really long, so I did go back to my book.  This is when that bug happened. The game was being really buggy, especially when I used phys warp for the burns. Upon reaching Jool, I had roughly 20 m/s left. The delta v readout was bouncing around with random numbers, but with the amount of fuel left, this was what i calculated it to be. I used the remaining fuel to get an encounter with Laythe, and used the de-coupler to push my periapsis to a height that would allow for aero capture. This was my first journey to the Jool system, so I had no idea on what height I should preform an aero capture at. I wanted to leave the pod in orbit. (Would’ve used the kerbal’s eva packs to push the periapsis above 50,000 meters.) So I guessed wrong and splashed down in the seagen sea. Oops. 

@Matt Lowne, I hope you do see this. Please do consider bringing the Blunderbirds back for this unique mission....cus I play console...and that changes things up. 

Edited by Lewie

Contrary to my expectation of not playing KSP again for a year I actually made a.... thing today. I'm surprised it worked and I am trying to think of a practical use for it. I was going along the lines of a steam engine drive shaft thing.

mHRvpZd.gif

(edit - a looping (ish) lower MB version)

Any ideas of something fun I could do with this idea

Edityedit - I can see how this will help me go to space /s

PkKOGGz.gif

Edited by Stewcumber

Went full space opera cinematic with a new mothership I'm testing for my late-game Laythe based exploration save...

MZERkdb.png

It's also a lander on anything with Vall gravity or less and can run ISRU to refuel. 24KM/s delta v without payload, running on Lithium fuel and two reactors and three large lithium engines (all Near Future). A large crew space is integrated...

KOf5AHh.png

The science engineering has continued...

XYS4zpZ.gif

First time I've really looked at the "same vessel interaction". This is one rotor powered up and one without power and set to not lock up when without power. It eventually grew to...

J1obAir.gif

Again just the one motor with power (the horizontal one). I might try to make a miniature version and then fit axles to it...

tm5qqQz.png

I have a habit of building rovers with space for two kerbals, while sending three on a mission. Not a problem when doing a science excursion, but when the science rover also doubles as a crew taxi, moving all the crew at once gets...difficult...

This fellow must have been a firefighter before signing on with the KSC. He held on just fine for the 10 km drive between the Phoenix Lander and the Belisama Habitat.