What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Got a few things done in my career today - first, sent a crew of 6 on a quick trip out of Kerbin's SoI for training.  Three launched from Kerbin, rendezvoused with the three that were at Pegasus base on Mun, then dropped off the three new crew at Mun & brought the first Mun crew home. 

Mun crew getting ready to launch

bLb6qta.png?1

Docking with their transport for the training hop

9MvOWe1.png?1

Then, I found a period of excellent comm's around Laythe, so I went ahead with landing the Laythe Ocean Explorer

ZEaYuEm.png?1

Chutes deployed

34SjWgr.png?1

eXEwThG.png?1

And a sudden solar eclipse

g3rGTm5.png?1

After splashing down & testing out that all systems were operational, some preliminary data was sent back to Kerbin, then went to standby mode to recharge its batteries before continuing to explore

dHYBN0d.png?1

Then I tested out @Angel-125's  Mk-33 in sandbox, which was a lot of fun.  Other than a stall/spin during reentry (which I recovered with a burst of thrust from those monster engines),  it went pretty well but I did run out of fuel and landed short of KSC.  For something so big, it handled pretty nicely

AyPwb5j.png?1

BBVViWc.png?1

eeMvK2F.png?1

I sent the former Gilly transfer craft to the Mun to fulfill a docking contract from way back, because I didn't know that you had to dock two separate launches. I docked it with a small probe launched from a spaceplane.

Ascent:VzIq5xi.jpg

Deploying the probe:PfxPKNk.jpg

Docked:rGP7Kv0.jpg

Recovering the probe and crew, and refueling the transfer ship's monopropellant tanks:o4soML3.jpg

Landed back on the runway (the nose cone exploded on ascent, will probably replace it with another shock cone):nr2DGzd.jpg

I successfully claimed Minmus for all Kerbalkind by landing a rover, building a base, and docking a spaceplane:

BuoXckR.jpg

And then I sent an army off to conquer the Duna system.  Multi-module bases are sometimes a real pain this way.

n5D5W8b.jpg

22 hours ago, Stewcumber said:

The science engineering has continued...

Cogs and stuff.GIF

Well today I took that principle to the next step and built a front engine, rear wheel drive car. I needed to make the wheels (T-37 Tube or something) have a crash resistance of "a lot" so they didn't explode).

eFXkhDv.gif

It's got a locked diff, so it's basically a race car:D

Starting off is not smooth as it is just a bit of wheelspin and 'clunk' and you're off.

2wxe2os.gif

It's got a bit of a wobbly chassis though, as you can see when I instantly go from 0-100 torque (with the biggest high-speed rotor too). I'm amazed the cogs all hold together though!

https://i.imgur.com/PsKQbYC.mp4 (50mb video)

Not sure where to to next. Maybe stop the rear wheels shaking so much - rigidify the whole axle (not sure that's a word)

Posted an update to my career here.  Today's accomplishments were getting the Peregrine-Mun lander in place.  The change to a Dart engine in place of the Terrier was a big improvement, but the VTOL engines are a little weak for Mun. 

WxXicmi.png?1

The landing was a little rough, with multiple bounces and a near-rollover, but surprisingly nothing broke.  The design has since been updated with a 4th pair of VTOL engines, but this is still usable as-is if I'm careful.  I also have to watch the Dart - being above the CoM, at full power it has enough power to override the reaction wheels.  About 75-80% seems to be safe, but going above that is problematic.

VGgI33g.png?1

And my Bop combo relay & lander arrived, set up a near-polar orbit for the relay, then dropped the lander

N2cdAp7.png?1

AZ0rkM0.png?1

dqrfnvT.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

Y67, D172 - The WiM-18 miner/tanker carries the Eternity probes to Plock

3vX3F2f.png

Plock will be reached in 7 years (the projected orbit looks jagged due to floating point errors far away from Kerbol)

Fi4wUAr.png

Edited by Pipcard

Day-one expedition of the first Eve landing. While Thompsy fired up the ISRU equipment to re-fuel the ascent vehicle, I had Mundon climb into the ASEV and begin exploring. 

DEIe1Xo.jpg

I began by doing a low altitude survey of the biomes immediately surrounding the landing site (explodium sea, shallows, lowlands, midlands, highlands, peaks) and then climbed to 20km so the on-board KerbNet scanner could cover a wider area.

xN0ZsBF.jpg

tUP0PuE.jpg

From there, the ASEV tracked westward across the bay over to a local mountain, then set down on the peak and I took some pictures of Mundon looking dramatic.

4aWgBXJ.jpg

iDpOoIa.gif

Mundon then did some biome-hopping, collecting surface reports from Eve's peaks, foothills, and highlands. Here he is picking up a volcanic rock sample.

jlVK7L1.jpg

When the sun started getting low enough that shadows were obscuring surface visibility I had the ASEV turn and head back to the ascent vehicle.

qV15ocj.jpg

L9WQt71.jpg

It was actually very lucky I headed back when I did, as the solar panels were no longer producing enough electricity to run the motors. On reaching the ascent vehicle I had to make a somewhat panicked landing when I realized there was only a few seconds worth of juice left.

Once safely on the ground, Mundon collected 54 reports from the ASEV and boarded the EAV to spend the night. In the morning he'll be heading out again to fulfill a survey contract 200 km to the east.

coplrgw.jpg

e1aNrr2.jpg

Full Album:

Spoiler

wR3C9ok.jpg

KzUyVYv.jpg

DEIe1Xo.jpg

lxoNRoJ.jpg

WJwBdYJ.jpg

xN0ZsBF.jpg

tUP0PuE.jpg

SsYEHN5.jpg

4aWgBXJ.jpg

iDpOoIa.gif

S43oZJU.jpg

jlVK7L1.jpg

qV15ocj.jpg

Tx81onc.jpg

L9WQt71.jpg

Xbv6fRS.jpg

x4Ivx0z.jpg

coplrgw.jpg

WxiWtVG.jpg

e1aNrr2.jpg

Edited by BadOaks

I have always been upset by the restriction imposed upon the payload size because of the cargo bays, so taking inspiration from  'SSTO space program' on youtube I made an early game SSTO.

LxpbzW9.png

This has a 2.5m fairing, and can accomodate payloads upto 3.5m diameter pretty easily. It managed to get 5 tons to orbit easily. The Re-entry and landing was smooth has heck too. But the craft struggled with initial ascent, as it was underpowered. This forced me to start the rocket engines at a lower altitude within the atmosphere, and at much lower speeds.

And then I realized :" Wait a minute! Why am I restricting the length of the payload??!!"

Therefore, Mk2 of the SSTO was created.

PyIQWAX.png

It is not very different to Mk1, the fuselage, wing and fuel tank placement is 95% similar. But it has 2 more whiplashes then the previous iteration, solving the underpowered ascent problem. So much so that this craft has 1600 m/s delta v in LKO for a 7 ton payload, whereas Mk1 barely had enough to deorbit, with a 5 ton payload! Moreover, The payload length is not restricted, and I think it can take 9 tons to orbit comfortably. Now all it needs is some cosmetic modifications. It is a front loader, so I suppose it can carry Surface Base Modules to and from surface to orbit...

DVb5UYe.png

SSTO Prototype Mk2 completing the circularization burn with it's dummy cargo of 2 full ore containers (7 tons).

Refuel it in LKO, attach a droptank or ISRU and I perhaps can do a Laythe mission with this SSTO. A Duna mission would be child's play.

But just when I was patting myself in the back, disaster struck! Re-entry was smooth, so was the final approach, but this craft STALLS like a Flying Brick! It crashed about 50 m from the runway! Its most likely the unshielded docking port causing this issue... But I guess I will slap some parachutes, which makes it good enough for Kerbin,  maybe not good enough for Laythe.

Suggestions for improving this SSTO are welcome.

42 minutes ago, Selective Genius said:

But just when I was patting myself in the back, disaster struck! Re-entry was smooth, so was the final approach, but this craft STALLS like a Flying Brick! It crashed about 50 m from the runway! Its most likely the unshielded docking port causing this issue... But I guess I will slap some parachutes, which makes it good enough for Kerbin,  maybe not good enough for Laythe.

Suggestions for improving this SSTO are welcome.

How about a robotic clamshell using Breaking Ground hinges and structural panels?  Would that be able to shield the docking port?

3 minutes ago, DStaal said:

How about a robotic clamshell using Breaking Ground hinges and structural panels?  Would that be able to shield the docking port?

That might be possible, will try it out the next time I play KSP.. I suppose 3 structural panels with 3 hinges, covering the docking port like the petals on Pathfinder?

petaldeploy1.jpg

Whatever design works best - I was thinking basically use a handmade clamshell fairing covering the entire payload (which can then be re-closed for reentry) but if you can make something smaller that works, that would be good.

(If it's just the docking port and not the whole thing, you might see if a shielded clamp-o-tron helps.  A larger clamshell would only be needed if you actually need to make the whole center fuselage aerodynamic.)

Perhaps if, inside the fairing, you added one of those C7 2.5m nosecones behind the port. I think that that would be a more effective way of reducing drag. Plus, I believe you can't attach stuff to a shielded port in the SPH/VAB, so unless you want to build a crane you'll have to find some other way of making it aerodynamic.