What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Not a high quality video but I have a Stardust mission recreation video coming soon! Note: The problem with KSP videos cutting out is still happening. 

End screen problem should be fixed soon

I had several 'launch a satellite' contacts.One contract was  with a retro-grade orbit such that I had to wait out a encounter with both Minmus and the Mun. What a pain it was trying to keep my orbit from getting too out out whack with each encounter.

img%5D

img%5D

And finally a bunch of easy ones that didn't require science instruments. I did put relay antennas on them because I built them so cheap and would still make plenty of profit on each launch.

Spoiler

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

After completing their quick entry into Kerbol orbit, my Rusty Star Rockets "C" Team immediately turned for home!

Reentering Kerbin's SOI they were told to attempt a rendezvous with the Monstrosity space station to offload the science gathered into the station's science lab where it would be processed.

Fuel being a little low, mission commander Donbo Kermam decided to use Kerbin's atmosphere to aerobrake into orbit and then lower the Ap. to something close to that of Monstrosity's.

After successfully completing this manoeuvre, and a slight inclination change using RCS, they completed the rendezvous and proceeded to link up with the space station. 

Approaching Monstrosity Station.

Approaching The Monstrosity Space Station.

3 hours ago, Iskra Valentina Kusnetzov said:

i actually am developing my first mod! can someone help me and tell me how to create a thread to it? i really wanna share my progress

First, welcome to the forum (first post, it seems)!

Maybe you can check around here:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/104-general-mod-development-help-and-support/

Probably you will find the answers to many of your questions there :)

Cheers!

J

I had two major events in my space program:

1. I launched two large-ish relay satellites (still connected to the insertion stage) in a Kerbol orbit with a 2/3 resonance with Kerbin. I plan to insert those satellites in the same orbit as Kerbin, but 120 deg apart. I'm hoping this should take care of my long-term need to provide commnet access on far reaches of the system. Took me a fair few attempts to get it right.

and

2. I launched, perhaps the trickiest payload in my playthrough of KSP.Ej3OgF8.png

Behold this monstrosity that is my newest Mun Base + Skycrane, on its way to Mun. Pictured here with the OMS stage still attached. The offset mass of the payload was really tricky to manage, but after multiple attempts, I finally worked it out.

10 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

The Buffalo mod by @Angel-125 adds a new experiment with shallow & deep water biomes (its the RCS-tank looking thing bolted to the top in front of the high-gain antenna).  I feel like there are a few others have an underwater biome, but I'm not sure if that got added by Buffalo or is stock

k98piOs.png

Mundon completed a survey contract 270 km to the southeast of the landing site today.

6si8Mrn.jpg

I turned on Atmospheric Autopilot's cruise feature and spent most of the time listening to music and writing an email, but on the way back I took some screenshots to make a short time lapse of cruise and initial descent. 

01vhfwe.gif

Edited by BadOaks

Went to Ovok!

1TuKfOq.png

Proceeded to land the mothership for refueling as well as the backup lander. I have dedicated Tekto (prop aircraft + NERV) and Slate (lots of drop tanks) landers, but a Laythe+Kerbin rocket SSTO was included too just in case. Here, it leaves for Ovok orbit after refueling...

61AZi4L.png

And a fun rock that Thomden Kerman found, with Sarnus in the background.

LWRFkW4.png

On 6/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, Anuter said:

It wasn't the plan (and frankly what is in KSP?) but I'm pretty sure I beat my record for the shortest fuel margin (and not a single broken part, I was just a few m/s away from a perfect soft landing). 

sZJYbYX.png

Now, I need to find the perfect ore spot for refueling (the plan it to grab some ore from the Mun to orbit for a contract, transfer to minmus to do a similar contract then establish a cargo route to refuel a station in kerbin orbit for heavy interplanetry missions on a budget).

Following my post about a fuel-challenged landing on the Mun (above), I finished mining more ore than required for the contract. Obviously, more ore than originally planned means a lousy TWR and I realise soon after take-off that it will be a fuel challenged ascent as well! 

Fortunately, I could convert ore fast enough during the ascent and the start of the circularization burn, and the ship ends up in orbit with about 30m/s left.

AwO5ial.jpg

it will be way too short to reach Minmus surface even if i convert all the ore in Mun orbit (the small converter is only useful to refuel on the ground where ore can be wasted) so I'll need to check the best solution (I'll probably send a nuclear tanker and an orbital station equipped with a much more efficient large converter, I'll soon need both of them for regular supply routes from Minmus to LKO, this is why this lander can hold 6000 units ore where the contracts only require 600 units at most).

Edited by Anuter

I built a tank!  I didn't really model it after anything, I just made it up.  It's about 22 feet long, 10 feet shorter than the M1 Abrams.

XeGqiQD.jpg

Now what is the point of building something in KSP if it doesn't fly?

It's a bird!  It's a plane!  Wait a sec...  Nope, it's a tank!

oJjWQjl.jpg

Banking around for a landing!  With such a low wing area, stalling is a serious threat!

8b35TlZ.jpg

Landed!  This "plane" can take some really rough landings!

3p3XbBH.jpg

Craft file here.

Nearly simultaneously I got my reactor module for my Mun base launched, transferred & landed and my Minmus crew arrived via spaceplane (a first for this career), then transferred to the surface to reactivate the Minmus mining base

At nearly 1.7 million funds, this was the most expensive launch to date

JHdqIyr.png?1

After shedding most of its orbital velocity, the transfer stage was jettisoned, leaving the landing motors to finish the job

7W1XSpu.png?1

74Ep191.png?1

The aft skycrane was jettisoned a safe distance from the base, then the module drove up to connect under guidance from the base engineer.  The front skycrane has the only probe core on the module, so it has to be kept in place until docked.  To jettison, all radiators & solar panels were retracted for safety.

c2K79aC.png?1

Everything all hooked up & ready to go.  Its on the Mun so the reactor is hardly necessary, just a test for other bases.  The entire base is currently 96 parts and 16 of them are retractable wheels that I'm going to take off with KAS once I have somewhere to dispose of them.   Edit:  Just realized, I didn't add any radiators to the reactor.  Guess the craft that will carry the radiators can be used to dispose of the wheels.....

L91PHS6.png?1

Over at Minmus, happening simultaneously, a 4-kerbal crew reached Minmus station (now renamed Johnny Kerman Memorial Station), transferred to the Peregrine-TX lander and headed down to the mining base.  I should've just waited a day to launch the reactor module, because every event (SoI change, maneuver, etc) I had to swap back & forth between the spaceplane & reactor.

I'm always amazed at how big even relatively small spaceplanes are compared to other structures. 

vNLZDOk.png?1

Peregrine-TX undocking

hbIQaB0.png?1

aQ97Npu.png?1

Finally, the most important step - moving the stupid docking port from the front to near the CoM.  I just love KAS

0Sy32hl.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

I built a satellite to got Eve. Checked the transfer angle in the tacking station to find out I had almost 2 years to wait for it.

Normally not a problem as I shamelessly time warp.

img%5D

And then I discovered I had a contact for the Mun due in 2 years. So I did that instead.

img%5D

And then I discovered I didn't have quite enough power to transmit the required science. :mad:

So I'm launching another Mun probe tomorrow instead of going to Eve.

Nothing like being your own worst enemy.

5 hours ago, Lt_Duckweed said:

Today I visited Kerbol in an SSTO and got the first (to my knowledge at least) Eva report from Kerbol's atmosphere: 

Amazing... I don’t know which one I like more, if this one or the Jool deep dive :D 

3 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Enjoy! :)

Cupcake...

No kerbal was damaged while shooting this video. Although sometimes it can look the other way around. Mostly towards the end, with the explosions and so on. But it's only a figment of your imagination. Any similarity between the explosions occurred in the movie and the ones in real life are purely coincidental :D 

I'm fed up with KSP taking way more than 2min to load (I mean, I have time to take showers, yes plural, between starting the game and being able to actually plays it), which makes me not playig the game. And since there's an update planned for tomorrow, it's a good time to get back to stock (at least stock part list), in order to be able to just do a quick game session.

I'm mostly keeping QoL and visual mods (KER, EVE, Scatterer, etc). I need to check how much of the load time is took by ReStock, but since it's "just" a visual enhancement of all the part, I'll try to keep it for now, but I suspect it adds a lot to loading time.

EDIT: Down to 2minutes loading time. Much better.

Edited by Okhin

1 minute ago, Okhin said:

I'm fed up with KSP taking way more than 2min to load (I mean, I have time to take showers, yes plural, between starting the game and being able to actually plays it), which makes me not playig the game. And since there's an update planned for tomorrow, it's a good time to get back to stock (at least stock part list), in order to be able to just do a quick game session.

I'm mostly keeping QoL and visual mods (KER, EVE, Scatterer, etc). I need to check how much of the load time is took by ReStock, but since it's "just" a visual enhancement of all the part, I'll try to keep it for now, but I suspect it adds a lot to loading time.

Feel you. I just have two different installations of 1.8.1, ultramodded and just the visual standards. With the visual standards (plus restock) it takes around 1 min. The other one, after overclocking the computer, 'just' 8 mins... So for designing and testing I use the Stock, then for flying... well it depends if I feel like showering when I'm going to start the modded one :D  And obviously I run both from SSD. I know that my computer is kinda old, but anyway... it is too long :(  And I won't change the computer until KSP2 is out :D 

7 hours ago, Cupcake... said:

Enjoy! :)

Cupcake...

Fantastic and a good watch :rep: We used to go to the same school, always dig those lander designs-and the KSP help back then haha!

Meanwhile... Got the crew that was at Ovok to Slate, Eeloo, and Tekto. Slate was sub-optimal but landed, got flags and footprints, and took off without breaking anything. Tekto is awesome so far!

QvXfB3U.jpg

8LePjKm.png

Ul55cFy.png

Edited by aspacecephalopod