What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I've been considering in the last few days to try building a manned science rover for munar use. Some questions in this regard:

• Which cockpit am I better off using for this purpose, the Mk1 pod or the Mk1 lander can? I don't have the external seat yet and am withholding the Mk2 lander can for Duna rovers.
  • Should I bother engineering the rover to be capable of returning to Kerbin under its own power? Prototype testing in this regard kept smashing bottom-mounted engines during test drives at the KSC, while the reaction wheels lacked the torque to nose-up the rover enough for a rear-mounted engine to be able to take off without a hill.

My parents were promised flying cars in the future, so where are they? Well, move aside, Tesla Roadster, because I'm going to make good on that promise - on Minmus at least.

BEHOLD, THE MINMUS FLYING CAR

u81wCx1.png?1

• Craft file: https://kerbalx.com/Mars-Bound_Hokie/Minmus-Flying-Car
    • Cost: :funds:189,705
    • Docking-capable
    • Vertical takeoff
      • to gain enough altitude before firing the rockets to get into orbit.
    • Has A LOT of science
      • Including the new magnetometer (won't work on the surface)
        • Use in spaceflight
      • Has an action group for collecting all that data
  • Picture of this car during a test run

Download my craft file, send it to Minmus, and try it out for yourself. Be sure to have refueling craft/fuel tanks available for that car, though.

What did i do today?z Uhhh.. It was my first time going to duna with an ssto and i took me 10 crashes before i could land (i quicksaved dont worry!)

And i got back!WITH 3 M/S !!! I was scared i couldnt made it but it was all fine!Only the ssto crashed on the surface of kerbin but the kerbals are ok!

I begin designing my ssto that can do orange fuel tanks into orbit and go to minmus. That took me five times to test it and change that it's better to fly! So that was my day

Sincerely Prat4545!

Guys, sorry to be a bit off topic now but... do you know what is the mod that Lowne uses on his videos to show the insides of the kerballed pods? I've been trying to find info for ages and (yeah, disaster me) still couldn't. So, any clues?

Thanks!

J

51 minutes ago, JorgeCS said:

Guys, sorry to be a bit off topic now but... do you know what is the mod that Lowne uses on his videos to show the insides of the kerballed pods? I've been trying to find info for ages and (yeah, disaster me) still couldn't. So, any clues?

Thanks!

J

You mean the one that makes the glass transparent? That's stock.

Been busy on other projects but hopefully I can now work on Eve Lander again this sunday...

Checklist is

1. Make an Eve lander prototype CHECK

2. Make some good looking aesthetics for kerbal and flag CHECK

3. Successfully fly the Eve lander (once or twice at least)

4. Successfully land an Eve lander from orbit

5. Develop the spacecraft and launcher

6. Successfully fly the mission

7. Make mission cinematics.

8. Release videos of both the mission in traditional video and video in cinematic

<<Estimated completion date: Hopefully before August 24th>>

Edited by Guest

Today I finished the construction of my Space Station by adding crew modules to the undocked ports. I once again forget to put radio on the original craft so I added some to the crew modules to fix that in post.

YhHvazh.jpg

h5GCtHF.jpg

After finishing assembly I sent the "Hawk" SSTO up to deliver the crew for the station. Sadly the plane has a terrible TWR that makes ascent and orbit tedious so it will probably be retired very soon.

giRUyZx.jpg

eViQdwE.jpg

j9eFIvt.jpg

In retrospective from the whole Space Station endeavor I'm probably going to try to build the next stations with final assembly in mind instead of haphazardly coming up with additions to the existing core.

The first item was to deliver Algard from where I had rescued her in Minimus orbit down to the surface. She moved over the the MPL, got promoted to 1 star, and began researching all the data that is still piled up there. I'll send a couple of 3-star scientists up to replace her once they get back from their jaunt out of Kerbin's SOI.

8H3gJiX.jpg

Then I started assembling Minimus Station as the parts arrived. First the fueltanker arrived, then the center module with crew quarters and electric.

41BaQbK.jpg

Attaching the science module using the tug.

9JKK1zh.jpg

And here it is assembled. Two modules, two fuel tankers, and a tug.

jCEdCSt.jpg

I sent a rover to Minimus to fulfill a contract to scan an Olivine formation with a large arm. Since I had an old rover already parked beside one of these formations, I just landed beside it and did the scan. Between the scan and the science data, I was able to reach 1,000 science and unlock the large ore container.

z5sEg7s.jpg

Using the new science, I assembled the refinery module and sent it on its way to Minimus where it will be added to the station there.

bLdY6pz.jpg

Last, I sent up an unmanned ship to rescue two different kerbals stuck in orbit around Kerbin. It nearly turned into a disaster when I ran out of electrical charge on my way to rescue the second. Luckily, I had set up a pretty good intercept, so the second rescuee just had to pop out and intercept the rescue craft at 35 m/s. Then I waited until the craft was pointed relatively retrograde and de-orbited. The bad news was that I got two pilots. I'm up to 10 pilots now, but I need more scientists and engineers. I may have to break down and hire a couple.

gqj5B7k.jpg

I'm getting a bit short on kerbonauts, so I've finally implemented a fully-reusable no-orbital-debris rescue system for Kerbin SOI. I've got a NERV-powered ISRU-equipped probe with 6k+ dV and a grabbing claw in orbit, or refuelling on Minmus. The probe can grab any lost parts, house the rescued kerbonaut in a lander can, de-orbit the wreckage and haul the kerbonaut to KSS, and it can also land on/take off from Mun and Minmus. The downside?

I suck at SSTO planes and feel their missions take too long, so the final leg of the journey home means riding SSTO space chairs:

screenshot0.png

On 7/21/2020 at 1:46 AM, problemecium said:

Today as of this post I have yet to actually open KSP itself, but I've spent a solid chunk of time pondering transfer windows.

Yeeeeaaaars ago, a few people made nifty transfer window calendars listing out all the major transfer windows for the first few years from the default start time of a game. These would have come in handy, as Kerbal Alarm Clock doesn't seem (unless I'm being dumb) to allow me to schedule transfer window alarms beyond the next one and thus I don't have this information at hand for deciding whether to postpone a mission. Unfortunately, they're so old that they predate KSP's in-game time readout and are thus written using Earth time, not to mention there's a fair chance at least one tweak to the planets' orbits has occurred in the meantime. Attempting to find a new one led me to several threads whose OPs asked for a new calendar only to be told to use AlexMoon's webpage or a mod such as KAC... which one can see puts me in a bit of a loop!

Thus I dug up the CSV file KAC uses as its transfer window "model," imported it into a spreadsheet, and uhhhhh... the planets are numbers. "Aha!" I thought, "the numbers available here must represent objects between which transfers are straightforward to calculate, i.e. who share a parent body, thus I can eliminate the missing numbers to reveal the structure of the system and thus which planet is which number!" ...but this led me nowhere. I have no clue what's going on in there. I even looked up a bunch of phase angles and compared them to the ones in the spreadsheet to see which transfers corresponded to the phase angles that should match them, still with no luck. My dreams of using my genius intellect to forge a shiny new transfer calendar for the community appear untenable.

So I gave up and resorted to dabbling about at https://alexmoon.github.io/ksp and seeing roughly vaguely how often Jool windows occur and, of more immediate importance, when the "second" one is. For those curious, it's on Year 2, Day 256 at 3:36 and windows appear to recur roughly every one year and 31 days.

In conclusion: Should I postpone my Jool-5 Challenge mission until the next transfer window, allowing me to explore other destinations first and build up to it, but restricting me from doing any exploration of Jool in the meantime in the interest of maximizing Science yield when I do the challenge later on? A few opinions requested but please don't flood the thread because I'm not out to commandeer it here ^^;

You might be interested in the Astrogator mod- it tells you how long until the optimum transfer window for each planet, works with planet packs including OPM and JNSQ and can even create the nodes for you. MechJeb's advanced transfer function in the maneuver planner offers porkchop plots and can also create- and execute- the nodes.

I'd say you would be better off visiting other planets first, getting more parts unlocked, before going to Jool better equipped for a longer duration mission.

Since almost everyone sent stuff to the fourth planet out from the Sun last month. I decided it was to time to go back to the fourth planet out from Kerbol.

img%5D

The trans Duna burn.

img%5D

There it is.

img%5D

Non-nominal vehicle attitude....For most people.

img%5D

Much more nominal.

img%5D

Pictures taken and rovers driven.

img%5D

img%5D

Upon the return to orbit Val nails the docking.

img%5D

We have a blue flash sunset before heading to Ike.

img%5D

We like Ike.

img%5D

Back to Kerbin via Duna.

img%5D

A couple of course corrections later we are almost home.

img%5D

The crew is treated to a sunrise before capsule separation.

img%5D

And finally back breathing that sweet Kerbin air.

img%5D

Edited by N_Danger
Grammar

Captured a Class H comet.

Spoiler

JLRvDKW.png

Though, given that the rock is over 70,000 times more massive than my probe, the term "captured" seems a bit of a stretch.  ;)

DFctDy7.png

Rendezvous was a real bear-- the rock's orbit is solar retrograde, steeply inclined, and highly hyperbolic.  Highest dV requirement I've needed in a while.

32 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

The fine folks at the KSC have decided that they've just had it with the trouble of rockets and spaceplanes, and just up and relocated the KSC to space.

So we don't need mods for orbital construction anymore... :D 

By the way... any GOOD mod for that purpose, apart from the obvious solution of moving the whole KSC into orbit? :P 

Jeb:  Did I not do a fantastic job on my last mission?

Gene:  Outstanding.  Couldn't have asked for any better.  You were tremendous.

Jeb:  Then why do you hate me so much?

Gene:  I don't understand?  What do you mean, Jeb?

Jeb:  What day is it today?

Gene:  Oh my gosh.  I'm so sorry, Jeb.  Take everyone out to the runway.  I'll have Bill bring it out.

Jeb:  Thanks Gene.

Jeb:  Gene, these damn rabbit ears just aren't cutting it.

Ldh4FVZ.jpg

Gene:  Sorry, Jeb.  I'm on it...

Jeb:  This is much better.  Thanks Gene!

vwONBQj.jpg

9tk2po6.jpg

Gene:  GAME ON!!!! Hockey's back baby!!!

Today I launched the MOL (Manned Orbiting Laboratory) on the Delta, a monstrosity of a rocket.

sSms3U0.png

2xnsOaJ.png

It has 2 docking ports, 1 clamp-o-tron jr. for the current Pioneer series of capsules, and 1 regular clamp-o-tron for future expansion/and or bigger spacecraft.

Totally not based off of Skylab.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:42 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Been busy on other projects but hopefully I can now work on Eve Lander again this sunday...

<<Estimated completion date: Hopefully before August 24th>>

The world hates me doesn't it (this is sarcastic joke I am not that depressed about this)

I had a computer failure when turning on KSP meaning my computer will probably need a replacement. Meaning I will probably be out of KSP for months worst case :(.

This is exactly what happened with my previous computer. I absolutely hate it! But I can't do anything about it...

First setback for the long awaited Eve Crew mission :(

It's weird since my computer will be fine with other games...

Edit it works! Thank goodness too! I got scared for a moment!

Edited by Guest

Now for something NASA completely WOULDN'T DO!!  Take a foolhardy risk...  (and you just know the Kerbals are betting on how it turns out)

Long, long ago, the Duna mission reached Ike and began refining fuel.  There was no equipment and no plan to set foot on Duna, or even go into orbit around it.

Not enough relays, so the settlement went into mothballs for some long while, waiting for backup.  High Command decided to re-activate it recently, but the Mission Controllers got bored.  CHANGE OF PLANS.

ccZhGik.png   Oa1Bzuu.png

With two Nova space stations in orbit around Ike, one was repositioned into Duna orbit.  You can see a Hummingbird on the left [image 1], a Goblin miner on the right; and a Ladybug/Hummingbird combination in the foreground.  Image 2 shows the Ladybug/Hummingbird combination, ready for descent, separately, from 200km, thence to 50km, and finally to 30km.

None of this equipment is meant for the atmosphere, although Goblin does have 4 chutes for Kerbin retrieval.  If Goblin cannot get back off the planet, it can at least mine fuel for the other landers.

NEW PLAN: "we will go to Duna, not because it is easy.  Not because it is HARD.  But because it is THERE."  And because we are ever so bored with Ike.

Good luck, (fool-)hardy Kerbals!

Instalment 2

Edited by Hotel26