What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Today and Yesterday I fine tuned a bunch of trajectories for a lot of the spacecraft I had going to Duna.

7pMu0v1.jpgMining ship going to Duna Via Refueling tug

6MRobkt.jpgDuna Outpost and Rover which I failed to realize had kerbals in them until I had already sent it into deep space

EoX1zhy.jpgHey what's that in the distance?

It's Duna!! My scanning Probe arrived at the red planet a lot earlier than any of the other spacecraft so I took the time to scan the surface and set up some waypoints for potential landing locations.

5WqYiDv.jpg

Then the "Starship Armstrong" arrived at Duna.5bUEMcw.jpg

IT2b24B.jpg

YUF816Q.jpgLando Kerman preforms the first Spacewalk around Duna

At this point I was kinda debating whether I should land on Duna with our Lander or if I should wait for the outpost and mining ship. Eventually I decided that it would probably be better to have the first Duna Landing be preformed by a Lander, and we had 3000m/s in the Lander so why not.

fANcurz.jpgJeb(I think) EVAs to the Lander

8NHKlVd.jpg

The Landing was actually really easy. We were coming in at a pretty horizontal angle but after activating the airbrakes, drogue chutes, and main chutes the lander came to a pretty slow speed and we landed with a small puff of the engines.

IOTPpUE.jpg

wdD7neB.jpg

Jeb got out and planted a flag and soon after the rest of the crew, Val, Lando, Bill, and Bob got out to set up the science equipment. The landing site was on a bit of a hill so when the rest of the ships land we'll probably opt to find a different spot to set up camp.

mJUEvKI.jpg

The crew got back into the ship and took off to redock with the Mothership. I attempted the ascent a couple of times so I could see what the best time to launch was, but eventually we got into an optimal rendevous. Strangely though, apparently I wasn't high enough to be free of atmospheric drag so I kinda had to do a bit of a correction burn.

5Y6z93x.jpg

Luckily everything went fine and we were able to dock.

hYPHb1X.jpgBill preforms a spacewalk to repack the parachutes of our lander.

4p2fqym.jpg

Today I've sent a mobile processing laboratory to the mun (orbit) and made 1500 science.

It took 5 and a half years (400 days each) to finish all that. (I've stopped at about 0.300 data, because they started making only 0.0040 science per day)

F to Bob and Pateny Kerman, isolated from the kerbals for so many years

Edited by Neil Kermstrong

Over at the Mun the crew shuttle was getting ready to leave when I realized there was one more kerbonaut that needed flag-planting experience. Melming got his very own private flag planting along with a slew of comments from Val about making everyone late. Are you done Melming? Stop taking selfies and get back into the lander! It's not like you're at the Grand Canyon or something.

4L2D8yy.jpg

Once Melming got back, everyone piled into the crew shuttle and set course for Minmus. I left just a skeleton crew of two kerbals at the Mun station for future flag-planting contracts.

JXY97yH.jpg

Also at the Mun, I had a contract to put a satellite in a polar orbit. I used the resource scanner design for the upcoming Duna mission so I could test it out and make sure it works close to home.

EJaxHYk.jpg

Back home, I wanted to add more docking ports to Kerbin Station. I launched a new fuel tanker with a docking port adapter on top.

wW26DlF.jpg

yN90pRH.jpg

The new adapter is attached to Kerbin Station for use by interplanetary missions and fuel tankers. It's not the most stable connection, but hopefully it will do for now. The next time I see a contract to build a station over Kerbin I may replace the whole thing with something using Sr docking port connections like Minimus Base.

xXBg0Lb.jpg

After delivering the adapter, the tanker headed off to Minmus where Jeb and Bob will no doubt be thrilled to deliver many loads of ore to fill it up.

Hq9llSe.jpg

4 hours ago, Grogs said:

The new adapter is attached to Kerbin Station for use by interplanetary missions and fuel tankers. It's not the most stable connection, but hopefully it will do for now. The next time I see a contract to build a station over Kerbin I may replace the whole thing with something using Sr docking port connections like Minimus Base.

You can get rid of a ton of joints (and parts) by using a Hitchhiker or an empty fuel tank as the structural  spine for your docking hub.  That should be a lot more stable than being out on the ends of those skinny arms.

32 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

You can get rid of a ton of joints (and parts) by using a Hitchhiker or an empty fuel tank as the structural  spine for your docking hub.  That should be a lot more stable than being out on the ends of those skinny arms.

If there was the possibility of welding at least structural parts in stock... Only UbioWelding AFAIK can do that and as it is out of maintenance it is a PAIN to use it... Sorry just thinking out loud :D  

1 hour ago, JorgeCS said:

If there was the possibility of welding at least structural parts in stock... Only UbioWelding AFAIK can do that and as it is out of maintenance it is a PAIN to use it... Sorry just thinking out loud :D  

I just wish there was a 6-way part like the Rockomax node that would fit Clampotron Sr docking ports. It would make a perfect core for a large station.

2 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

That's true and I include ports on the side of my fuel tankers as backups. The Hitchhiker isn't a bad idea. I might try it, but I'm not sure I can four big ships around one.

10 minutes ago, Grogs said:

I just wish there was a 6-way part like the Rockomax node that would fit Clampotron Sr docking ports.

Nertea grants your wish with the Space Station Extended parts mod (or whatever it is called, typing on a tiny old phone screen after my toddler dropped mine on the kitchen tiles the other day...)

few bits today

finished a contract for rendezvous and crew transfer in Ike orbit,  craft refuelled (docking target is a fuel processing station/lander/miner), they then landed, did SCIENCE! and are in Duna orbit waiting to return. mission success so far

first Jool probe failed its mission, got there, orbited but lacked the fuel to get the mission target orbit, still did SCIENCE! so not a total wash, will fly a second one and just keep the first as a comms relay

Today and Yesterday the rest of my Duna-bound spacecraft arrived at the red planet.

4jfj5Im.jpg

E5tPwyh.jpg

The mining ship arrived at Duna a little earlier than the outpost so I took a little time to test out how well the mining worked. The area we were in had an "orange" amount of ore concentration so it didn't yield too much.

dYiowtG.jpg

The Duna Outpost and Buggy arrived in Duna Orbit so I decided to send the Buggy down first to scout out a flat landing area. However, I soon realized that the Skycrane was not detaching. Apparently I had attached the docking port wrong, so instead of it being decouplable it was permanently attached to the lander.

SY5OmkW.jpg

This was rather quickly fixed by launching the rover into the air, flipping it over, and smashing the skycrane off the rover. We did lose the ladders to the crew capsule, but considering we still had the ladder to the cockpit and everything else was relatively fine the rover was basically fine.9OrycMh.jpg

We then scanned the nearby Dune before parking nearby in a flat area waiting for the Duna Outpost to land.

knASF3L.jpgThe crew being overjoyed to be able to go outside for the first time in a year

The landing of the outpost took a couple tries. I wanted to get close enough to to the Buggy so it wouldn't be to far of a drive away. However, the atmospheric drag kept getting in my way. Eventually I decided that it would be better for our approach to be more vertical than horizontal and that seemed to work.

pYz775J.jpgBrilliant driving skills

3wwQhEb.jpg

IaM8oRg.jpg

jcbDmnl.jpg

After a little expedition to scan a nearby meteor the crew returned inside to wait for the rest of the expedition.

36okj4y.jpg

Oh and my eve probe arrived too.

1 hour ago, Grogs said:

I just wish there was a 6-way part like the Rockomax node that would fit Clampotron Sr docking ports. It would make a perfect core for a large station.

Look into Nertea's Stockalike Station Part Redux

And also their Near Future Construction

1 hour ago, DerekL1963 said:

Look into Nertea's Stockalike Station Part Redux

And also their Near Future Construction

Actually I think both the SSPRX and all of the NF are amazing... when there is an update for KSP those are the ones I'm craving for to be updated. Silently of course ;) hahaha! (seriously, guys, don't pester the modders for updates :/)

I'm blown away. It was half luck and half stupidity on my part.

Two years ago, I decided to try to make shuttles functional by placing a Docking Port Jr. in the bottom of the cargo bay. And since then, I've tried unsuccessfully on capturing a satellite... but tonight...

kbBosvt.png

tCj4Nnf.png

9ZdKFi5.png

jd3Adut.png

P8YddJy.png

YHerxJO.png

So, just wow. Now to close the doors and bring the shuttle and cargo home. Wow... I'm blown away.

trV09wG.png
XOsBnmG.png

Came back a couple of weeks back after a couple of years break...  Chatting with a friend who also plays KSP and realized I hadn't been back to the Mun.  Also realized that over the years (in KSP) I've done about every possible permutation of Munar mission except a classic Kerbpollo.  So, after a couple of days of work and testing, it's ready to fly.

I got a contract to upgrade Kerbin Station. It was only a 1-star contract, but for once it didn't have any crazy requirements like having 3000 units of monopropellant or 5000 units of ore. I just had to add space for 6 kerbals. Val volunteered to take the Mk2 SSTO, now dubbed Winterlance, up to the station to complete the contract.

v092413.jpg

I managed about 1550 m/s on air-breathing engines. That's the best I've done so far with this design.

qbcW6fA.jpg

And docked. Contract complete.

aALNZFS.jpg

Bill: I think we finally did it Jeb! This load of ore should finish filling up Minimus Station.

Jeb: Thank god, now we can finally get some sleep! I lost count of the number of loads we've hauled up.

Hq9llSe.jpg

Bob: Hey, good news fellas. The station expansion just arrived. That will let us hold a much larger fuel reserve. Now we just need to fill it up.

Bill: ...

Jeb: <cries>

MxBjz0z.jpg

Disconnecting the docking mast that will go on the end of the expansion.

KVy9uKB.jpg

Docking it to the new fuel tank expansion.

0FNTkHH.jpg

And attaching it to the station.

ZgCSzRx.jpg

Fully assembled. There's room to expand on the other side too, but I don't have any plans right now.

K7dbZuW.jpg

After docking the station module, I sent the little tug that brought it crashing into Minmus to trigger the seismic sensor on the surface.

OVRhm3f.jpg

I took the ship into a higher orbit so it would have time to fully expend its fuel before impact. Coming in at about 1260 m/s. Looks like I'll hit about 400 meters away.

II31eIb.jpg

10633% sensor readings! That was more than enough to max out the seismic sensor earning 184 science for the effort.

WsHq71O.jpg

Bob: Hey, the new ISRU rover made it to Minmus.

Jeb: Hallelujah! We're saved! Now it can fuel up a whole tank on the surface rather than us ferrying ore back and forth.

uyu0qte.jpg

Bob: We're docking, err, clawing it to the station right now.

Bill: Fuel it up and send it down to the surface.

Bob: No can do fellas. The boss has a contract to expand the station by adding a convert-o-tron, a cupola, AND room for 16 kerbals. Until the crew shuttle docks tomorrow it won't have enough crew space. In the meantime you can probably bring up 3-4 more loads of ore.

Bill: I hate you so much right now!

BEYwj63.jpg