What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Unlocked a tech tree node with some deployed science doodahs in it, so I sent a little probe out to my Minmus base to add them to the setup there.

I’ve also been playing around with Kerbalism radiation configs and now have a working setup for the Grannus system, complete with stellar radiation from Grannus itself and magnetic fields for some planets. I was going to do the same for Galileo’s planet pack but it’s not one I’m familiar with and there’s no existing config to base it on (that I know of). I might take a look at Minor planets next as it would sit nicely with OPM and Grannus.

Or I could focus on pushing this particular career beyond a couple of probes on and around Duna before worrying about other solar systems! :rolleyes:

I made an absolute 'pig's ear' of my Duna  exploration - phase 2...

The misson consists of 2 crew (Sarah and Seandon),  one lander, 5 rovers and the mother ship (XV 005) which serves as the hub.  The plan is to take the lander and one rover to each anomaly (marked with waypoints by the survey sat), plant some experiments, and return to XV 005 (leaving the rover on the surface for future missions) to refuel and collect the next rover.

Phase 1 went swimmingly well, arrived in Duna polar orbit and took the lander and first rover to the green monolith on Ike.  After setting the experiments they made a successful, if less than 'texbook efficient' return to XV 005 in Duna orbit.  

Boosted with confidence and fuel (and snacks no doubt, but they hid them from me) they departed for phase 2... Landed a little further away from the waypoint than desired, but never mind, they had the rover... ahhh...

Cock-up 1.  No rover, decoupled the wrong node so left the rover attached to XV 005, looks like a long walk 

Cock-up 2. The experiments are stored in the rover, so can't do the mission anyway now...  But at least Seandon managed to locate the anomaly (a green monolith) on foot and plant a flag.  On return to the lander it's time to go back to XV 005, continue with Phases 3 to 5 and then have another attempt at Phase 2 if fuel reserves permit.

Cock-up 3.  A complete catastrophy on take off. resulting in the loss of the all but the crew cabin, and a couple of landing legs strewn on the surface.  Fortunately the crew are safe, but stranded in a tin box on Duna's north polar region.

Looks like a second mission is needed to mount a rescue, but at least XV 005 is in orbit with fuel reserves waiting.

NOTE TO SELF.  Don't let the crew drink whisky whilst on duty...

The sciencing continues, after a bit of a work enduced hiatus.

A probe was sent on an escape trajectory to gather some basic information about the environment outside Kerbin's SOI.

Tqk4nXV.png

Then Bob headed out on the first flight of a scientist in the game (can't let the pilots have all the fun) in the Mun Hopper, a refuellable Mun lander, packed with all the science gathering gizmos, this level of the tech tree allows.

pvX2lr7.png

Once on the surface fun and frolics were had (and don't forget the sciencing).

iKL0Jpm.png

Mishaps were had too...

OBl3OUF.png

... with inevitable consequences.

o7A0hwa.png

The locals turned out to be friendly, if not very talkative.

WRhBMvq.png

Mun Hopper now sits in orbit waiting for a tanker craft to be sent from Kerbin, so the sciencing can continue.

ikhz7dx.png

Didn’t do much yesterday...just tested out Japris, Valor and Correllian. Very good planet mods, I highly recommend downloading them!

And seeing as I am no playing on 1.9.1 camera tools is yet something to mess around with! I’m thinking of creating a cinematic......

I sent a probe on its way to Moho, for the first time both in this save and for my entire time playing KSP!

hy84IwO.png

Launch aboard my standard reusable launch vehicle. This thing is a workhorse, and, incidentally, way overpowered for this payload.

vwTjlm7.png

Moho transfer burn. Thanks to the dismal TWR of NERVAs, this burn took over 7 minutes. Though that was made up for in efficiency - this vessel packs a punch with almost 6km/s of dV fully fuelled. It should have no problem with the >2km/s insertion burn at Moho. In fact, this is such a capable probe design that I plan to send slightly modified variants to Dres, Jool and potentially Eeloo. 

Inside the fairing structure I've also included a rover with a skycrane - I intend to land it on Moho and glean science from a few biomes. Let's hope this mission goes to plan - it has a course correction coming up in 26 in-game days, and it'll arrive in around 140 days.

I put a network of surface (landed) relays on the farside of the Mun:

UeCDZI9.png

Qt8W1kE.png

And found a cool place in the process:

Spoiler

q2gVP6N.png

ZY6k4gb.png

There is a 1 km deep hole at the base of those sawtooth mountains (75 deg, 30’, 18” S and 136 deg, 18’, 42” W). Has anyone found this hole before?

Edited by Sky Vagrant

Let's hope I can get into orbit by the end of the day...

screenshot160.png?w=983&h=

screenshot161.png?w=983&h=

Too little of struts I guess...

Edited by Guest
Grammer correction

Flew up north to pick up Jeb and the gang after the harrowing asteroid mission. Hastily built a passenger jet but needed fuel. I have a robotic refueling plane sitting at roughly the halfway point since 2016 or so. Serendipity. 

XfvFAnw.png

Landing is always tricky but I managed to nail it on the 1st try. :o

UEOxyoI.png

Airborne Driller standing by.

fKYjDCz.png

FCq48S3.png

QR95Qvk.png

prOwade.png

Now to get this thing airborne again after all those years of sitting idle.

Back on the drawing board. But this time it's a rotating ring!

Five hours later and I give up on this mission for now... I am going to focus on another mission. Another Jool 5 Attempt. Going to make the custom Suit RN.

Edited by Guest

almost scrapped an asteroid capture mission, then salvaged it.

i needed to get a D class asteroid, which is rather big, so i made a "rather big" rocket, at 30 tons. then i used the cheats to simulate the rendez-vous, and i discovered that the asteroid would be over 200 tons! i had 100 m/s of deltaV left, nowhere near enough for capture. but i already launched my probe, and already placed it to intercept at periapsis.

i was about to scrap the mission and send a bigger rocket, when i realized those 100 m/s could be enough to get closer to kerbin if i intercept in advance. so i devised a trajectory that would rendez vous with the asteroid 50 days before periapsis. from there i have enough fuel to deviate the asteroid by 50 m/s, but i need only 20 to get inside kerbin's atmosphere. i'm going to make an aerocapture manuever. then with the asteroid safely in orbit i will send something with more parachutes to bring it down to ground.

I am planning to aerobrake a 200 ton asteroid in the low atmosphere with no control. a real space agency would fire me for even thinking such a mission.

Edited by king of nowhere

22 hours ago, Bigbootie said:

ul8oW9U.png

Q3scoJx.png

Cc0rrkI.png

This could've been a scene from a NG/TDC documentary about large predatory robotic birds hunting for and scavenging smaller planes for parts, and it would still have made total sense. :D

Picking up the asteroid catching heroes.

In route.

nZXW6vX.png

NAqrJtX.png

1st - 3rd landing ended in disaster. 

BKY5NPH.png

VkLRsuo.png

Advice - Save before landing. Every time.

ObO7rAC.png

OxTxm2g.png

Everyone is happy!

D1SPDQM.png

ZnRaVyf.png

UW4ELxx.png

16 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

This could've been a scene from a NG/TDC documentary about large predatory robotic birds hunting for and scavenging smaller planes for parts, and it would still have made total sense. :D

I was thinking something like that too. Or maybe Skynet.

I got the Mk-33 Launch Platform into the game:

Mg9a9Rv.png

X3iqeAK.png

ASv3Mdo.png

It's not quite done yet, this is just the initial rigging and test.

...And I finished the test fitting of the Mk-33 Launchpad:

hhYaEWW.png

No, it doesn't just sit on the runway, you drive it off the runway and park it somewhere, then dock the Mk-33 to the Strongback.

Edited by Angel-125

Built this monstrosity to capture another asteroid. It didn't end well.

iSGyBWC.png

eq8V5TU.png

1st attempt I lined up a little too well.

bu7kfQD.png

Look how big! It's getting bigger! 

9R57AjH.png

Second attempt went as planned.

q57T8wx.png

r8P0VJk.png

Landing was great. Drogue chutes worked great. Main chutes worked great. Landing was nice and smooth.

0OzDmM4.png

PoP0LO4.png

Sorry so dark.

Landing on a 45 degree hill, not so great. 

Entire crew lost due to crushing injuries sustained by asteroid rolling over them(repeatedly).

All that's left and an asteroid.

keVeSs2.png

While waiting for a window for Duna to open up, the Jooldiver 2 moved to Val for the finale to the 3 contracts at Jool. And just watch the sights until the days in orbit match the contract requirements.

Spoiler

A course correction.

img%5D

Capture burn.

img%5D

img%5D

Then it was time to put a satellite in orbit around Dune using the Small sat launcher.

img%5D

img%5D

Spoiler

Arrival and insertion burn.

img%5D

And some fiddling with the orbit

img%5D

And another contract successfully fulfilled.

img%5D

3 minutes ago, Bigbootie said:

Wow! That's fantastic!

To be honest, the craft does have some issues. The jet-assisted car in one of the garrages keels over in water, the VTOL in the other garrage handles like cr*p and doesn't have much range, the fairings which used to be around the larger cars broke one of the solar panels during the landing...

But I likely won't have time to redesign it and fly the mission again before the end of the month, so I'm happy with it working as it does.