What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I learned a few tricks for using gravity assists in the jool system. i was unable to gain much because when i used one to slow down, it would lower my apoapsis, but also my periapsis, i would then be in a collision course with jool and would need to raise my orbit, losing anything i gained. I realized

1) i don't need to kiss the cloud top. my old instincts to stay as close as possible to the planet to maximize oberth effect are incompatible with getting gravity assists. with this simple trick, i was able to skip the injection burn and use a laythe flyby to enter orbit, and my periapsis is still above the clouds. incidentallty, if i do not need an injection burn, i also do not need oberth effect.

2) a gravity assist, like any other manuever, has a greater influence on the opposite side of the orbit. this means that using laythe will have a greater impact on apoapsis, and using tylo will have a greater effect on periapsis.

so i figured out, i need to use laythe to brake and reduce my apoapsis, and i have to accelerate with tylo to raise my periapsis and avoid crashing in the clouds. I still need course corrections, of course, but it's saving a lot of fuel.

5 hours ago, A Fistful Of Double Downs said:

It turned out to be the impractically big brother. Chungopolis didn't have enough drills to keep up with the Convert-o-trons. It also didn't have enough solar panels to keep up with the drills or the Convert-o-trons (let alone everything at once), and it didn't have anywhere near enough batteries to stay online overnight. Oh and the one I landed on Minmus sorta accidentally didn't have any cooling. 

on the left is my heavy duty mining vehicle (400 tons. let is the medium mining vehicle, 80 tons)

l0eQ7q6.jpg

and this is with panels and radiators unfolded

pWdlCSf.jpg

it produces like 500 electricity per second on kerbin orbit, which is a total overkill. on the plus side, it works nicely also on duna. do notice how the lower panels are mounted on hydraulic pistons to separate them from the main body, or they'd be covered by the other solar panels. and i made a version for jool with even more solar panels, i used 2 pistons on top of each other for some of the lower layer panels.

by the way, why do you care for having power through the night? are you using one of the mods for resource management? because it is basically impossible to keep up with the drilling consumption on battery power. you can run some small modules throught the night, but it's impossible way too impractical to keep the drills working by night

Edited by king of nowhere

I decided to launch a new crew shuttle so I could have one dedicated to the Mun and one for Minmus. They'll travel between the moons and KEO station where kerbals can wait to transfer between them.

u5qkUjZ.jpg

oYpEeXQ.jpg

Both shuttles arrived at KEO station around the same time. The older shuttle is on the left, the newer on the right. The newer shuttle has better landing legs (I found landing directly on pistons is a big mess), extra docking ports, and I ditched the science package since there's not much science left in the Kerbin SOI that I don't already have.

U9Laklx.jpg

I had a similar situation on Minmus. The Duna ISRU Rover (that's now not going to Duna - time to rename it) finished fueling up it's tanker and sent it on it's way. Not sure what I'll do with the tanker, but the station core on top is still destined for Duna, so I'll take it to KEO station for now.

3bvL4Av.jpg

Since I now have two ISRU rovers on Minmus, I figured I might as well hook them both up to the Giant MOFO XL tanker that just landed.

uCA1JK3.jpg

A view of the two ISRU rovers, with the newer one on the left. The newer one has a VTOL setup, pistons on the sides and top to help with rollovers, and an extra docking port on top that I use to 'control from here' for landings and takeoff. With the two ISRU units going at once, I was able to fill the two S4-512 tanks in under a day.

JWi2i63.jpg

Burn't what I can do in one day. I made a Minecraft and KSP video in one day. Super exhausted. Since I feel like they aren't really high quality level, they are on personal account

Spoiler

as for Eeloo base. I got some plans under works for that one. I have a main design in my head.

Four smaller towers surrounding the main one. Which is made up of a base with a tower as well. The base has a mix of medieval and modern fort styles. I can't wait to fly it and hopefully I don't have to cancel it.

I'm also starting a submarine challenge soon... so stay tuned!

Edited by Guest

First time I've been on ksp for any length of time in months!

I downloaded the SR71 replica and flew it round the globe - well, I flew the first fifth then went for a shower after stabilising at 19000m.

Also downloaded that fair popular car with two rear jet engines and one pushing downwards - I forget what its called but had a whale of a time driving that around.

Then I designed an extended duration space station - found a new (new to me) way to create a spinning ring that used way less parts than I'd used before. Also perfectly stabilised with roll control from MJ. Once I've finalised the design I think I might have a stab at career mode and have a go at getting it into orbit of some bodies I've not explored much previously (sorry Duna, this one isn't for you). Related to the ring, what does "damping" do on servos? Couldn't find reference to it anywhere :(

I rescued one kerbal around Minmus and another around Kerbin. The one around Minmus was in a retrograde orbit, but I made the intercept from a normal prograde orbit and let her make up the 250 m/s closing distance with the EVA suit.

i2MoE7J.jpg

I got a contract to build a new station around the Mun. The present station around the Mun is linked with Jr. docking ports, so I've been wanting to replace it for a while. Other than a requirement for a cupola and a convert-o-tron, the requirements for the new station were pretty basic. Here's the launch of the main body.

dUgpWsy.jpg

Spoiler

Arriving at the Mun

hxj7ryh.jpg

Contract completed once in orbit

u343dz4.jpg

Docked with the old station. I'll deorbit the old parts once replacements for the science lab and some more docking ports arrive.

c7dtVW3.jpg

Launching the second part of the Mun Station. This one will replace the science lab and add more docking ports to the new station.

Ld6IAAJ.jpg

XYsW6bD.jpg

Finally, I sent my swarm of relay satellites off towards Jool. Even though the ejection burn was about 3 minutes, it was on target. Of course, Jool is a heck of a big target.

Oi3lhMS.jpg

Didn't have anything else to do so I did an Apollo style mission BUT soviet version >:)

Landed

EDz4DOR.png

Docked

c4r7PZe.png

"Landed" on KerbinnXMsZdn.png

First time I do something like this, the original plan was to make an Apollo 11 replica but I remembered the mod Tantares had a lander command pod so I decided to go full soviet.

Also, the original plan was to land on kerbin again with those landing legs, but the parachutes weren't enough to do a soft landing, so it just bounced lol

Edited by Neil Kermstrong

Yesterday, I got my Gateway Space Station to the Mün orbit via a booster, so, I finally got something to do now with it.

Mission SLS-1C with 3 astronauts going to Gateway:

2020-09-27.png

After Mün transfer burn:

2020-09-27_1.png

After capture:

2020-09-27_2.png

Docking with Gateway:

2020-09-27_3.png

Next mission will be either the first lander, or unmanned Duna flight.

Edited by Commodore_32
Hit Save too soon

Acepted a contract to save Geneming Kerman and retreive his craft back to Kerbin.

Here is very proud Geneming Kerman (Formerly employed by Integral) before embarking for the return trip.

(I wrote return but he never was on Kerbin before as he was spawned on the Mun)

(And, yes, he had a seat in the main ship not in the derelict)

A9FkZGJ.png

Also I got a weirdness building this monstrosity.

When I first attached the gears to the fuel tank of the prototype I got a skin rash problem.

LIdKUAc.png

Whatever that was it was asymmetric.

gm65FnN.png

Thanks,

Have a nice Kerbin day.

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

I grabbed three more kerbals out of LKO using my rescue pods.

hIrmUgU.jpg

Spoiler

IaDqHPM.jpg

HL9uSpx.jpg

jrZy1oQ.jpg

For the third rescue, I decided to just go ahead and deorbit the whole carrier since it was the last pod. I'm sure nothing could go wrong deorbiting a bunch of nuclear engines.

cpHET0G.jpg

Spoiler

Looking good. I think we've got it ...

dqyDphE.jpg

Oops

P7Q0xOa.jpg

Well, at least the fuel tank survived. I'm sure three nuclear engines exploding on KSC grounds won't cause any problems. And luckily, Kerdon is already green.

XVsjpA9.jpg

I added another crew shuttle. This one will ferry kerbals from low Kerbin orbit to KEO Station and back. With this piece in place, KEO station will serve as a hub for all activities in the Kerbin SOI with dedicated shuttles leaving for LKO, Mun, and Minmus.

dG4Yzrm.jpg

StgyNmV.jpg

I just thought this was a cool pic with the Kerbin shuttle (closest) and Munar shuttle both awaiting maneuvers from KEO station. It was just luck that their maneuver nodes were half an orbit apart. They ended up pointing the same direction even though one is headed down and the other up.

v6advCC.jpg

Val spent a little time ferrying new recruits from Kerbin to LKO and back in the Winterlance. Can you spot the stupid thing I did in this pic?

1SSuxx4.jpg

Spoiler

I took off with the brakes still on! Somewhere near the island airfield I started wondering why the plane wasn't getting above 300 m/s, then I noticed the airbrakes were up. It cost some fuel getting to orbit, but luckily the Winterlance has a healthy margin.

I completed my first Eve landing today, to fulfil what I thought would be a extremely difficult contract to enter Eve's atmosphere, splash-down, and then make landfall. But thanks to some excellent suggestions and advice from the community, the mission was a success! I had the good fortune of splashing down just off the coast, meaning it was a mercifully short hop to shore. In reality, it was only luck that made this mission possible — any further and I would not have had the fuel to make the transition to shore. 

Watching the purple sunrise was an incredible moment. Eve is as beautiful as it is uncompromising and relentless.

CKYnzaN.png

37 minutes ago, Kerbals_of_Steel said:

What did I do today? I misclicked and lost about a real week of work when I brought up an old save by accident. :mad:

I don't use Alt-F12 much, but some stuff is going to get teleported.

There’s a backup folder inside saves/your save name which contains the last five (by default) persistent files, check and see if an old copy is there which still has the progress you lost and if there is, move it up a level out of the backup folder and load the save in game.

I made some considerable career progress yesterday- landed probes in 3 biomes on Eve, dispatched a ‘base’ to also land on Eve (it’s amazing what passes for a ‘base’ when you focus on just meeting each criterion with minimal cost) and upgraded both Mission Control and the Astronaut Complex to level 3 which in turn enabled some more long term experiments on my Mun base. Some save file hacking occurred to fix a problem with the labs on that base and two space stations that re-enabled their long term science experiments, and an attempt was made to build a jet-powered Rotordyne, which ended with almost all of the parts still attached, the craft still the right way up and the pilot still alive- mildly traumatised, probably, but alive: a roaring success!

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

41 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

There’s a backup folder inside saves/your save name which contains the last five (by default) persistent files, check and see if an old copy is there which still has the progress you lost and if there is, move it up a level out of the backup folder and load the save in game.

Lifesaver!!!!!

Thank you VERY much.

Edit: There is no joy in Mudville tonight. Apparently I spent too long messing around before I realized I had the wrong save, and too long trying to fix it... It's not all bad news, though, I had rolled a couple rovers I was going to have to repair, and it reverted them to the pre-crash state, and teleportion can take care of most of the rest of it. Still not looking forward to removing a hundred Pegasus ladders again, though. :shrug:

Edited by Kerbals_of_Steel

3 hours ago, Chequers said:

I completed my first Eve landing today, to fulfil what I thought would be a extremely difficult contract to enter Eve's atmosphere, splash-down, and then make landfall. But thanks to some excellent suggestions and advice from the community, the mission was a success! I had the good fortune of splashing down just off the coast, meaning it was a mercifully short hop to shore. In reality, it was only luck that made this mission possible — any further and I would not have had the fuel to make the transition to shore. 

Watching the purple sunrise was an incredible moment. Eve is as beautiful as it is uncompromising and relentless.

CKYnzaN.png

How will you return in orbit?

Sent my SS Science room for 24 scientists to Minmus.

My Pusher was oversized, too much fuel capacity,  so moved Mun Miner to Minmus.

I now have 3 Miners at minmus.

The Pusher is now pushing a "Educational" lander around that can hold 15 kerbals. Currently 12 scientists aboard.

mun landing + Flag .. sun orbit + Minmus landing + flag should give me 12 x 3star scientists to place in SS Science.

My Explorer 1 have 12 science containers with science from all biomes on Mun and Minmus.

I will load up SS Science with data .... and dock and place the first 12 scientists aboard.

First I will complete tech tree using this science station.

Then I will select a policy that converts all science to reputation if possible.

So that I can get more advanced missions.

KSP is very grindy at start.

I think I'm narrowing into a design for an Eve Airplane flying science base. It will mostly look like this older version.

uAFwRdG.png

As you can see, the canards and wings are foldable. My plan is to launch this baby inside of a giant fairing, which in conjunction with several inflatable heat shields, will protect this during its entry into the atmosphere of Eve. Only when the fairing has safely splashed will it separate, leaving the plane floating on the seas of Eve. The main wings are the most complicated shape I've ever used, and offer excellent low altitude and glide performance, and a liftoff from water velocity about 15 m/s. They also both look cool and "feel" good to my autistic super senses. 

The ducted fans fold flat for transit. The final production version will have the fans mounted on the wings.

Here is the current prototype folded up for an unfolding test. 

2XhGSo9.png

For the first time in my KSP career, I am using KAL-1000 to automate certain tasks. Currently there is a single controller on the prototype which controls the unfolding of the wings: First it unlocks the hinges, then the wing hinges unfold, then the fan hinges unfold, then the hinges all lock in place. This controller theoretically will only have to be used once in this aircraft's entire career, before its first flight.

You will notice that in this version, the canards and the main wings are no longer in the same plane. I moved the wings up for two reasons: (1) They just look better with their roots above the science lab windows, and (2) to help keep the main wings out of the water during liftoff. In the real world, canards and wings don't have to be coplanar, and in KSP there only seems to be a 1 m/s speed penalty.

Along with continuing flight and unfolding tests, I am trying to determine whether empty fuel tanks or crew cabins are more buoyant. This version currently uses an empty FLT-400 tank as a the fore end pontoon. The two aft pontoons use MK-1 Crew Cabins. If there is no difference in buoyancy, the fore will use another cabin to carry scientists. Eventually the pontoons will also carry container modules loaded with those new-ish deployable science experiments.

Edited by Zosma Procyon
Spelling

It's been a couple years since I threw together anything like this.  First time I wasn't really aware of the concept of lining up CoM and CoT, so things... did not go well.

This time took that into account, but those 48 ion engines can only run for about a minute at full blast, then the thing takes about 23 minutes to recharge.  Not exactly warp speed.

tPj5F9w.png

yjeN7DW.png

8ZxNJuv.png

Bad first attempt, many years ago.

Spoiler

84Q2r45.png

So, I completely forgot I had this gem of a "game" until something in my Twitter feed referenced KSP2 coming out next year.  So today I spent time going through all the tutorials, and then I started a new career.  Upgraded the launch pad and the astronaut living space, and then earned a bunch of funds by completing a couple of basic contracts.

I forgot how fun and cool this thing is!