What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Built a new space station and lobbed it at the Mun to do science and stuff. Since the old station is no longer needed (all the science experiments keep vanishing for some reason :confused:) I started to bring the crew of the old station back to Kerbin.

PSA: if you have life support that requires power to operate, DO NOT try a Mun to Kerbin return when the Mun is being eclipsed. Bad things will happen to the crew, including (but not limited to) CO2 poisoning, hypothermia and having to peel the lids off those little coffee (sorry, koffee) machine pods and consume the contents like shots.

Fortunately for that particular crew, the game crashed because I accidentally clicked KSP.exe instead of KSP.log resulting in the game trying to open twice- never a good idea!- and the previous save is from before they undock from the station.

5 hours ago, Zosma Procyon said:

My Eve Airplane departed for Eve.

Spoiler

Ki7jdKT.png

The plane is folded up in the fairing.

Cyid2Ct.png

36 Mammoth engines. I could and should have used older/smaller tanks and engines. Maybe I'll remember that next time.

I'm very curious how large that airplane is!

I rescued the last kerbal with my rescue pod carrier and then brought the whole thing down safely. It did tip over on landing, but nothing was damaged.

Dkoz9J3.jpg

29H4OHc.jpg

78Z5G8n.jpg

I also noticed a launch window for Eeloo approaching on KAC and decided to send a probe. Kerbal Alarm Clock said I had 9 days, but when I checked on Alex Moon's launch window planner, it showed that I was already past the optimal window. I decided to launch a probe immediately while I could still get a reasonably efficient transfer rather than waiting another year for the next window.

l1SQ3sK.jpg

I just grabbed a probe design I had with a full set of scientific instruments/survey gear and lots of dV. I probably should have left the solar panels off, but it does have RTGs for power at that distant planet. Despite the low TWR, I was able to get an Eeloo intercept with a long transfer burn and a small (30 m/s) correction.

jrVJYdh.jpg

The most frequently-asked question I get about my new Rodeo Luna personal excursion vehicle:

l8UNbkO.png   Vmv5eyX.png

is: how do you refuel it for continued use?  Good question, too, so I thought I'd put together a couple of slides:

2payISv.png   vFQFxcJ.png

The first shows Hertfree Kerman demonstrating docking the Luna to a Sparrow tug, which now comes standard with dual Omnidocks.
In the second, Hertfree docks his motor on one of the four claws on a Goblin mining rig.

Hertfree recommends landing close-by first, to adjust the thruster power down to 50%, to provide finer control of sink rate.  Ensure SAS Radial Out is set, regain a little altitude and maintain level flight, simply 'jinking' the attitude controls to control horizontal progress toward the target dock.  QED!

Edited by Hotel26

A couple of contracts, some maneuver nodes completed and four Kerbals returned from their short stay in Mun orbit as the station they were onboard is now obsolete. I would crash the station into the Mun, but a) it’s still worth a reasonable quantity of funds and can probably be salvaged, and b) I’ve already completed the deployed seismometer experiment, so there’s no point.

Accepted a Kerbal rescue contract in Kerbin orbit, thinking it would be another simple LKO target; nope, it’s orbiting at over 4000km above Kerbin and the grabber probes I have in LKO can’t even match its orbit, never mind grab it and come back.

Sent a probe cluster to Eve to land on some biomes. The first two broke up partially on entry. For the third I figured out I needed to deploy the aerobrakes much later, like under 1000 m/s, to avoid explosive complications. Science sent back successfully. Although I'm not sure what to do with it once I've unlocked the whole research tree ...

Also nuclear engines are quite slow and probably not worth it I've decided. 

KBc6O7q.png?1

7MthYrM.png?1

Q3tme3v.png?1

LshjLGC.png?1

k4rFzk0.png?1

IIyGNFM.png?1

ki9YrZR.png?1

And in the one that landed mostly intact, the atmospheric fluid spectro-meter thingy was under water, which seems to make it inoperable. Oh well! Successful journey. Meanwhile Val and the crew are waiting 15 years for their next maneuver to Dres.

Did a little fancy flying today! 

Wk1UuMP.png

o68N4o8.png

*Is this your idea of fun, Mav?*

Also summoned the kraken, and accidentally went interstellar.

QwosVOQ.pngLightspeed? No, that's too slow...We must go....LUDICROUS SPEED! :confused:

Edited by Lewie

Well, ive FINALLY fixed the bloody memory leak lagfest that has genuinely got me to take a hiatus for the last few months...

Still laggy with so many massive warships (and i just refuse to go low on parts as i cant make anything armored enough to survive squat otherwise), but at least using this mod:

I can now play KSP without having to quit after half an hour (seems that every single time i load quicksaves or change ships or do just about anything memory would go up until it goes from ~5gig or so to over 12 at which point the game takes 2 minutes to load a simple quicksave).  Gonna hopefully get back into KSP again as the mod above seems to help enough that i can have KSP open for 2 hours straight without too much lag issues (and i can even reenable some of the QOL functions in KSP recently added that increase memory leakage like dV calcs since mod seems to just wipe mem every so often when possible to do so).

50K2jgP.png

nap3DOb.png

So yeah, my next project: make a bloody guided missile that doesnt shatter on impact against any vessel that has a smidge of armor protection as all of the previous junk seems to do.  I am almost 100% certain its the sheer amount of clipping most of my heavier weapons have, but i do need to maintain compactness or they wont fit into fully hidden bays (cant make the torps longer then a long mk-2 weapons bay).  Still, if the game doesnt lag too badly from now on (memory fix mod should do the trick) i might be able to pull something off...

When your boosters are so big you use Fleas as sepatrons.

VOJAJjv.png

Six Kerbals are on their way to Moho (I hope), with room for 11 (but it's criminal to fill the ship to capacity - Kerbals need a little room to move around!). The ship uses only chemical engines (no nukes or ion)... so it's a little big.

Next stop: Minmus for some refueling. The Minmus Valdez (i.e. the tanker) is already in orbit.

On 10/15/2020 at 2:29 AM, Corona688 said:

I installed and booted KSP after a two-year hiatus, and promptly sent a broken parachute screaming out of the solar system at 2% of light speed from 500m up, by dint of severe parachute overload.

Looking good so far!

This reminds me of my parachutes breaking (while trying to slow down a 7.5m reusable booster) and on deployment, sending the booster flying at TWICE THE SPEED OF LIGHT into the void. Yes, this was today.

cCOJS2x.jpg

4 minutes ago, Krzeszny said:

This reminds me of my parachutes breaking (while trying to slow down a 7.5m reusable booster) and on deployment, sending the booster flying at TWICE THE SPEED OF LIGHT into the void. Yes, this was today.

I have since learned there is a specific kraken which causes this, lured into action by off-center parachutes.  It's not a very reliable kraken though, as I've been doing this for years without seeing it.

So my asteroid recovery crew made it back to Kerbin SOI and dropped an asteroid in low Mun orbit, however they are in a craft not viable for atmospheric entry and a total of 3 kerbals need to be recovered. My Saurus VI command pod has a crew capacity of 3 kerbals, (not risking an unmanned flight) and with a pilot I send up will mean I will have to leave one behind. So I ain't doing that. I made the dumb idea of sending a stock craft (slim shuttle) to pick them up, it does have 4 seats available, just no way to EVA kerbals in the habitation modules outside of transfer crew to pod. So I send the craft up, have it rendevous, don't have enough delta v to complete rendevous so the relative velocity is 240 m/s, I decide to transfer only Billy Bobfred, the crew leader using an eva pack. Then I give up and decide to send a Saurus VI next mission to gather the remaining kerbals. 

I deorbit the spaceplane and it's on a re-entry trajectory. The lack of heat shields means half the plane blows up before the velocity gets to a speed where it isnt dangerous, which means the habitation modules are unharmed. 

I reload the quicksave, transfer the two selfish kerbals to the habitation modules, which means I give up control of the plane to allow the kerbals to survive, and then I deorbit. Same thing happens but both kerbals survive this time, and as the ruined plane falls towards the ocean, I realize there is no crew cabin to transfer the kerbals to, to eva and the hatch is obstructed, so the kerbals are doomed in a metal coffin until they hit the water and die. Also since I didnt have control of the plane I couldnt activate the parachutes and get a safer splashdown.

I'm going to stick to my own crafts for astronaut recovery missions from now on.

RIP Ering Kerman (Pilot) and Billy Bobfred Kerman (Pilot), you will be missed.

Edited by Vezbot
Fixes to post

Today my Eve Airplane arrived in orbit of Eve. It is so much faster to send rockets to Eve than other bodies.

2NhEKh1.png

Purple.

YEXVhiz.png

Turns out it didn't refuel as completely as expected.

faTjGaa.png

The outboard boosters were expended and the core booster took over; it will also knock the rocket out of orbit after refueling at a low orbit fuel station.

y9gCL4x.png

Here it is on final approach to dock with the fuel station. Of course MechJeb handled the docking maneuver.

g4R1Fp6.png

And docked with the fuel station. I'm going to wait to deorbit it until I remember how to record KSP on my MacBook Pro. Assuming I don't trump the maneuver, it should be fun to share.

Did the tutorial on landing on the Mun.  Forgot to deploy the landing gear...and pro.ptly tipped the lander over onto its side.  Not too bad...until you consider i did it 3 times before remembering the landing gear.

Many missions were done, most of them failures.

I also sent a staypunik into an escape trajectory for a contract and gave Jeb 6% of a fatal radiation dose.

Jeb then had to go on a harrowing EVA to fix a broken engine. (Spoiler alert: It wasn't that bad of an EVA and Jeb didn't even need to do it)

Older pic of mine, but I like it. I was from my first career save, and this mission was a world's first contract for a Mun landing. ( found a mun arch)

2LGyyUF.jpgI still can't get over how stunning the mun now is....it's just beautiful!

Also visited @Misguided_Kerbal's Valour a while back. Very great mod, I highly recommend you download it. (And yes, that is Danny2462's single stage to anywhere)

ldPXHVC.jpeg

Edited by Lewie

On 10/16/2020 at 2:18 AM, Lewie said:

Did a little fancy flying today! 

Wk1UuMP.png

o68N4o8.png

*Is this your idea of fun, Mav?*

Also summoned the kraken, and accidentally went interstellar.

QwosVOQ.pngLightspeed? No, that's too slow...We must go....LUDICROUS SPEED! :confused:

The other day I got Not a Number meters per second, altitude and eveything else...

:D

Now, the first "birthday" of Goat Engineering Inc. is coming, so I am planning a Laythe mission, but I need some tips. Do you have any?