What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I was able to launch a Shuttle and dock it with my D-Class Jool Science station, and then fly to my Mun A-Class orbital station and refueled. Then i headed back to kerbin and repeated the process but I was on a mission to colonize Laythe.  (I was on KSP almost all day) During the course of the mission, I assembled a team of brave kerbals willing to make a series of trips to Laythe and begin to colonize it. This team's name is the most creative name out there. The team is called the Laythe Colonization and Research Unit (LCRU). The LCRU used space shuttles to bring a couple of Class-B orbital station parts to Laythe orbit. The second main goal was to make a small base on Laythe. So I created the biggest rocket I had ever made and sent a Class-B Ground Research Base. The base landed successfully and is in direct communication with the Orbital Station which, in turn, has a connection to Kerbin. After some research on the Laythe I Sent up two more shuttles that deployed some more Living Quarters to the Orbital Station.  My favorite bit of the Orbital Station is more or less a parking space for landers. On the station there is a few fuel tanks which are connected to a series of docking ports. These docking ports each have a lander that can hold 2 people. The plan is that when people need to go to the Ground Research Base or other areas on Laythe, they can hop in the lander and and go down to the space station. Then, with the Remote Guidance  Unit, the lander goes back to the station and refuels. Ready for another transport mission to the Laythe surface. There is one lander that is capable of deploying a rover and transporting supplies down to Laythe.  I plan to send Shuttles with fuel to the station so the landers can stay operational during their use.  This was all I could do over the course of today. Another thing, I can't submit a screenshot because my computer simply can't do it. Hopefully you enjoyed reading my story.

Launched a refueling station into LKO in a single launch. Ignore the fact that some parts are floating, they are attached, the part models just didn't render for some reason.

screenshot8.png?width=712&height=401

And here's a picture of the Minmus station I mentioned previously.

screenshot6.png?width=712&height=401

Both were launched into space using the superheavy (Does a 500 ton max payload even count as superheavy anymore? I feel it should be something else.) lifter I've dubbed the "giant boi." The refueling station nearly didn't reach orbit, and I only just found out that it was actually 600 tons, so I'm going to have to watch the weight from now on, and if I launch another refueling station, that it is empty when launched, and to simply fill the tanks in a later launch.

EDIT: What should I go about using on my next superheavy lifter, a metric crapton* of stock Vectors, or a cluster (5-7) of SpaceY Emu engines?

*As many as I can fit on the bottom of a 10m tank

Edited by Kebab Kerman

After two hours of testing, stage fixing, delta V watching construction, I finished building a new launch vehicle with greater payload capabilities than the Saurus VI. I call it the Centaur I, this beast of a rocket is 70 meters tall, with two radially attached liquid fuel boosters as well as 4 radially attached clydesdale SRB boosters to the main booster. I had to strut the thing down for stability due to it's size.

The craft weighs 1750 tons and the Dv is 9000 m/s and 11000 in vacuum. After the 3k Dv used to get to orbit, it has 6k left over, and 5.5k with a 30 ton payload. I am going to test the first launch by sending a nuclear engine asteroid harvester to a class E asteroid and bring it to low Minmus orbit.

My work has paid off.

Edited by Vezbot
I just realized the name Centaur is already taken, probably gonna rename it to Arcturus I.

2 minutes ago, Kerminator1000 said:

That looks cool- Hey wait you have the same shadow problem I have! Where the shadow turn completely black and doesn't show any detail. Do you happen to know what causes it? I could never figure it out.

I turned off down some graphic settings to increase performance.  I'm pretty sure shadows are tied to multiple settings which is why it's often hard to figure out how to get them back.

I Made my First(Actually my second)Planet pack mod.

Spoiler

screenshot28.pngThat orange Gas Giant is Servon,The other Body that orbits around Servon is Norad(oh my it looks awful)

screenshot31.pngJool,but with a New(Horrible) Texture.(plus a new Terrible thin Ring)

screenshot11.pngAnd Helios.(argh hell,i forgot to put a Ring around Helios...)

and yes,i'm still working on it. help me

Building and testing the various stages of the Jool-5!

This is the Laythe stage. The command pod and science stuff are supposed to visit all 5 moons, and once back at mothership it will connect to the next stage is waiting (probably the bottom section of the Tylo lander). The back of the plane also must have a flat (high drag) end with a docking port because it will be stacked on top of that same Tylo lander.

I wish I can say that I deliberately made this look a bit like an X-wing, rather than having to admit that I just slapped on more wings randomly because I want it to take off at less than 100 m/s ground speed. ;)

1VgIi9g.png

Also, testing in career mode is annoying if all your pilots are on Minmus. :mad:

32 minutes ago, Magzimum said:

The back of the plane also must have a flat (high drag) end with a docking port because it will be stacked on top of that same Tylo lander.

1: Replace the docking port by a backwards rotated fairing.

2: Put a nose cone on the fairing base for low drag termination.

3: Enable interstage nodes on the fairing.

4: Connect it with one of the interstage nodes to the lander.

5: ???

6: Profit.

We landed a Kerbal on another planet for the first time today, as part of the Tenacious program.  Tenacious II is formed of two phases due to a complicated arrangement with the World-Firsts-Record-Keeping-Society to not only plant a flag on the surface, but to dock two vessels in orbit.

We're delighted that the first phase - named 'Courageous' has completed this historic milestone, landing equatorially on the Duna Lowlands, as planned.

Jebediah will remain on the surface until the remotely controlled 'Solidarity' arrives in orbit above Duna, which forms Phase 2 of the mission. Jebediah will  rendezvous and dock with 'Solidarity', and following a crew transfer, will set 'Courageous' on a course to impact the Duna surface.

Planning is already underway for Tenacious III, which will see Valentina explore one of the great canyons on the Duna surface. Excitingly, this mission will require a single launch, reducing costs and complexity,. The dual launch costs of the Tenacious II mission nearly totalled :funds:150,000. It is anticipated that Tenacious III will achieve its objectives for significantly less.  We have already gone out to tender for a new design that can accommodate Tenacious III, and Chequers Associated Systems (CAS) unveil their designs later this week.

HNPYB7s.jpg

10 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Launched a refueling station into LKO in a single launch. Ignore the fact that some parts are floating, they are attached, the part models just didn't render for some reason.

screenshot8.png?width=712&height=401

And here's a picture of the Minmus station I mentioned previously.

screenshot6.png?width=712&height=401

Both were launched into space using the superheavy (Does a 500 ton max payload even count as superheavy anymore? I feel it should be something else.) lifter I've dubbed the "giant boi." The refueling station nearly didn't reach orbit, and I only just found out that it was actually 600 tons, so I'm going to have to watch the weight from now on, and if I launch another refueling station, that it is empty when launched, and to simply fill the tanks in a later launch.

EDIT: What should I go about using on my next superheavy lifter, a metric crapton* of stock Vectors, or a cluster (5-7) of SpaceY Emu engines?

*As many as I can fit on the bottom of a 10m tank

vectors for multiple engine out capability, less R&D time.

Man, has it been awhile. I'm not going to write this in the traditional roleplay format because that would take forever. Traveler 4 soft landed on the mun. The Alram program started, attempting to land a kerbal on the mun. Jeb got stranded in an elliptical mun orbit. Jeb refused to work after 15 days, and was stuck in mun orbit for more than a year. Thanks to my incompetance,  poor knowledge of what tech i have currently unlocked, poor planning, and accidently blowing 5/6 of my money on researching tech i didn't need because of a misclick, Jeb returned from the mun today, where he was immediately admitted for psychological evaluation.

Want to post pictures but imgur is not cooporating

It's been a way too long of a day... I need to play KSP again soon. Because I sure miss doing something fun. 

Now what to do... that's the problem. I got the idea to do the Skeld in KSP but don't quote me on that

Built a specially designed science return probe and sent it to Minmus to take home a load of science generated by a base on the surface (I’m using Kerbalism so those long term experiments produce in some cases thousands of samples over several years). The only problem is that I mixed up the experiments, and rather than being the one with the small but really heavy samples I actually had one with many, lightweight samples on the base, plus I forgot to bump the capacity on the storage box so only managed to take half the samples back to Kerbin. And as if all that wasn’t bad enough, I also had to contend with a Mun flyby en route to Minmus, which really messed with the trajectory.

How much science did I get from that whole return probe mission, launched at not inconsiderable cost and taking about 20 in game days to complete?

Two... ;.;

10 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

1: Replace the docking port by a backwards rotated fairing.

2: Put a nose cone on the fairing base for low drag termination.

3: Enable interstage nodes on the fairing.

4: Connect it with one of the interstage nodes to the lander.

5: ???

6: Profit.

Good point. I did try something similar already. I used an engine plate instead of a fairing, but still added the nosecone. I guess it's nearly the same effect. I removed it for two main reasons:

1. I cannot run it with only 2 engines  because I hate puny long ascents where the SSTO barely makes it into orbit. Given the rest of the geometry of the ship, the next step up is 4 engines. That meant I have 4 liquid fuel tanks because I need to radially attach the engines, which is a lot for a ship this size on Laythe. Despite the high drag, it still achieved 1450 m/s in Kerbin's atmosphere on a test with 4 engines and a draggy back, which is fine for any SSTO. And since I am gonna decouple the wings and rapiers before the tanks run out completely, I don't really care if it wastes a little fuel because of the drag. 
  2. Aesthetics: I like to have a big stack of landers for the 5 moons of Jool, all coupled to each other with large docking ports.

When it comes to rockets in KSP, I don't really go for optimization. Our space program brings too many Kerbals with too much living space, on a rocket that has too much dV and an unnecessarily high TWR.

Due to it being the second most popular video on my channel, I decided to replace the copyrighted song with a royalty free one. I would consider you guys rewatching it I like the new music a lot :) 

With that I also updated the Upsilon Page so you can check out all the Eeloo submissions

Edited by Guest

Another day, another mangled ship with parts that are inexplicably misaligned. This time it was particularly troublesome as the ship affected was my Gilly Base, which is due to head out to Gilly as soon as the next transfer window opens, and the real issue was that all three engines were completely misaligned. I had to cheat it down to the runway, recover it, launch a replacement (built in one piece rather than several and just scraping in under the 255 part limit) and cheat that back into orbit, with the reputation and funds lost due to a failed contract involving that base refunded by the cheat menu for good measure.

Still, it gave me a chance to refit the design using parts that I recently unlocked- better science gear, more powerful communications equipment and even more supplies for the mission; I also added an RGU to the base itself which (if I understand how the RGU works correctly) will allow the base to control nearby probes etc. when they don't have a signal back to KSC.

I also was putting my computer to the tests by visiting Arrakeen today:

screenshot540.png?width=1043&height=586

screenshot552.png?width=1043&height=586

If you don't know I am starting to document every single spacecraft and mission in the Upsilon Savefile. I am starting to get it ready.

hi guys did not play kerbal space program recently mostly focusing on being professional poker player, work researches, mathematics but almost everyday read space books and do retypings recently didi but not yet make pictures but encourages everyone to follow these retypings and if possible publish here or at my site www.spacecraftsandrockets.com [section forum]

Much love:>

Made another giant superheavy rocket. It has 55 Vectors and 8 Freya SRBs for the first stage, giving it a maximum first stage thrust of 166,400 Kn. I don't have access to my screenshots folder right now, and I forgot to post it on Steam, so I unfortunately cannot post a screenshot. But I do know the height (sans payload) is around 120-140 meters tall. The goal payload capacity was 600 tons to LKO; during the first test, however, it was only hauling a 47.55 ton payload, and yet the TWR went below 1 when the SRBs were spent and ejected. I suspect it has something to do with the size of the second-stage tank. Anyway, the second stage has 37,800 Kn of thrust, and the third has 19,200 Kn of thrust, making this rocket the most powerful one I've built so far. Might have to add some engine pods to the sides if I can't fit and more engines on the first-stage thrust plate, or reduce the height of the second stage. I've named it the Superheavy Launcher for Interplanetary Missions (SLIM.)

Edited by Kebab Kerman

slIyCQn.png

Jeb is heading home after a test of KSC's new FastBurn™ system, which got him to Jool in a record 250 days. The FastBurn system uses a chemical booster to achieve Kerbin ejection before the main ion craft fires up to slowly accelerate onto a high delta-v trajectory. This particular test had him swing around Kerbol at about half the orbit of Moho before zooming out to Jool, where he slammed on the brakes to safely enter orbit. The ship is light enough that the ion drive can achieve a TWR of 0.10 and up throughout most of its journey, making burns only a few hours, which is shortened to a few minutes using x10 phys warp. As for total delta-v capacity, it's around 30kms, but this could probably be greatly improved to upwards of 50kms by replacing those smaller bottles with larger drop tanks.