What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

28 minutes ago, OutInSpace said:

four RTGs and some batteries. They provide enough power that the engine can do 70% of its max thrust

Looking at stock parts in the Wiki, it says a Dawn requires 8.741 elect/sec and meanwhile an RTG can provide 0.75.  So I've always figured that it takes 12 RTGs to charge a Dawn for full thrust (plus change).

4 RTGs would sustain 34% thrust?

In any case, if you said it did the job, that's outstanding work.  Please post it at KerbalX!

Update: I guess the dV is feasible.  I've just built a model with 36,000 units of Xe with mid-size drop tanks (96 + 2 in all) and KER is reporting 42.5 km/s dV.

0.30 m/s accel full and TWR 0.22.  12 RTG and no batteries.  On the last two tanks, 1.22 m/s and TWR 0.87.

Congratulations on your Jool run!  And thanks for the inspirational work!

Edited by Hotel26

41 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Looking at stock parts in the Wiki, it says a Dawn requires 8.741 elect/sec and meanwhile an RTG can provide 0.75.  So I've always figured that it takes 12 RTGs to charge a Dawn for full thrust (plus change).

4 RTGs would sustain 34% thrust?

In any case, if you said it did the job, that's outstanding work.  Please post it at KerbalX!

Update: I guess the dV is feasible.  I've just built a model with 36,000 units of Xe with mid-size drop tanks (96 + 1 in all) and KER is reporting 42.5 km/s dV.

0.30 m/s accel full and TWR 0.22.  12 RTG and no batteries.

Congratulations on your Jool run!

Craft file. A few corrections/clarifications because I wrote my previous posts from memory; it can only sustain 60% thrust, not 70%; there are 2 RTGs on this version instead of 4; and the delta-v of the ion ship itself is only 20kms - the other 10kms was provided by the ejection booster.

Looking at the math, it is totally bizarre that this thing can sustain 1.2 KN on 2 RTGs. My RTG parts haven't been modded at all, either... :huh:

Edit: Let me modify the craft to have no batteries, so it's forced to run off the RTGs with no buffer.

Edit 2: Okay, it can't run purely off of the RTGs, because then there's technically no EC storage on the craft. When I add one of the smallest batteries, I still get 1.2 kN. Also, there's always exactly 1.03 EC left in it once it depletes. NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE-

XkUSiLo.png

Edited by OutInSpace

22 minutes ago, OutInSpace said:

When I add one of the smallest battery

Add a very lightweight component that incorporates charge, such as an Okto2, instead of a battery.

This does make sense about batteries because, e.g. a resource refiner will not operate directly on ore from a harvester: you have to have an ore tank, no matter how small to complete the circuit.

How are you measuring the thrust on your Dawn, anyway?  You can cross-check it by looking at accel when there is charge in the battery and the Dawn is operating with full thrust and then look at what the accel drops to when the battery is depleted.  Are you looking at the indication in the Part Attribute Window?

Edited by Hotel26

5 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Add a very lightweight component that incorporates charge, such as an Okto2, instead of a battery.

This does make sense about batteries because, e.g. a resource refiner will not operate directly on ore from a harvester: you have to have an ore tank, no matter how small to complete the circuit.

How are you measuring the thrust on your Dawn, anyway?  You can cross-check it by looking at accel when there is charge in the battery and the Dawn is operating with full thrust and then look at what the accel drops to when the battery is depleted.  Are you looking at the indication in the Part Attribute Window?

Nope, still got the same results.

I'm measuring thrust both through the "Thrust:" field under the engine part, and I also added a seismometer to measure the g-forces; when the Okto2 hits 1.03 charge and freezes there, the g-forces drop by 58.6 percent, which I assume the game rounds up to 60% in the engine thrust field.

Y'know what, I'm just going to go file a bug report.

3 minutes ago, OutInSpace said:

the g-forces drop by 58.6 percent, which I assume the game rounds up to 60% in the engine thrust field.

Oh, are you equating G-force with thrust?  If your "G-force" drops by 58.6%, that would equate to 0.8 kN thrust from the engine.   On 4 RTG, I would expect 0.69 kN.  Just over a third.

Edited by Hotel26

6 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

Oh, are you equating G-force with thrust?

Nah, I'm just pointing out that a % drop in thrust corresponds to an equal % drop in the g-forces. The engines thrust is always the same (0-2kN) - add that to the mass of the ship and you get the g-forces, right?

Edit: Whoops, I meant that the G-force drops to 58.6%, not by 58.6%. Stupid mistake.

Edited by OutInSpace

I sent my first Minmus landing mission in this play through. I upgraded my launcher to add more thrust to weight on the upper stages. I was having some issues on the launch profile using less than 1.5 T/W stages. I had an oscillation in the vertical plane using my ascent autopilot. I'm still having change the way I approach and do things in the larger scale JNSQ as opposed to the stock game.  But I'm getting there.

img%5D

Spoiler

Booster separation and fairing deployment.

img%5D

And on our way to Minmus.

img%5D

At an altitude of less than 1000 meters it is probably a good time to start the landing burn.

img%5D

Spoiler

We place instruments and gather science.

img%5D

And Bill has a hard landing going to a different Biome.

img%5D

And soon it is time to takeoff.

img%5D

The rendezvous and docking are routine. 

img%5D

And so is the return and splashdown.

img%5D

And another successful mission in the bag.

With a Duna transfer window coming up in 24 ingame days, it's time to get all of the hardware for a crewed mission together. Starting with a cute little Ike lander! :D

Mog9VtP.png

This has just enough dV to land 3 Kerbals on Ike and return them to low orbit. It's got all of the science experiments, including storage for deployable surface science. Next up is designing a Duna lander!

All of my efforts in KSP have transitioned to Upsilon. Like updating new spacecraft submissions, community projects, and information on the forums.

I am working on two community projects. One ran by Snosisnob and the other by Knight of Saint John/Phobos. I am also starting a community project for Upsilon:

National_Park_Project_Upsilon.png?width=586&height=586

The National Park Project:

Ok so I have current development of the national park project. Starting in December-ish I will begin focusing KSP to this project. I am looking for feedback on the Mun Arches and what we should do for those:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfVvkn0fHTHrrUuKi3VQjq1_pAOQiJyFhvfvaHId-6XPquYjw/viewform

I hope that I can get as much responses as possible. And make sure to join the Upsilon Discord server.

Edited by Guest
Delayed

It looks like I might be starting over after all, for reasons completely beyond my control. My save file had a glitch of some kind and now says it was just stated and won't even open. Ordinarily I'd just recover it from my backup hard drive, but that's current sick too. And honestly I'm okay with starting over since there are features of the game I can't get in my old save file. If I start over. i'm going to cheat to unlock the tech tree and get some starter cash..

UPDATE: It took 20 hours of disk first aid, but my backup drive works again.

Edited by Zosma Procyon

Did a cut-and-shut to install an active radiation shield on the Gilly base I’ve been going on about for some time over on my Kerbal(Ian) Space Program reports, which went fine and everything was in order. Next time I switched to it though the engines were all out of alignment and unusable; cue the third(?) cheat-to-runway-recover-replace-cheat-to-orbit cycle for that particular craft, but with a built-in shield this time and some other minor enhancements. And a different engine setup to remove the possibly problematic engine plate, though I can only fit 2x 2.5m (Restock+ Cherenkov) nuclear engines and 2x 1.25m NERVs on a Mk3 fuselage instead of the 3 2.5m that were there before on a 3.75m engine plate and haven’t yet unlocked the Mk3-3.75m adapter that would solve this problem completely.

@RealKerbal3x Is it just me, or is that lander missing a rather crucial component- a docking port?

Our first landing on Ike occurred today. This was a poignant mission, not only because it concluded the Tenacious Program that began in April with the Pioneer program, but because it was an achievement I was most looking forward to accomplishing since starting KSP. I've always been fascinated by the relationship between Duna and Ike, and how close the moon is to its host planet - I'd often wondered what the great red planet would look like from the surface of Ike.

And it most certainly didn't disappoint! It's an absolutely beautiful sight. The mission as a whole was probably my most enjoyable to date. The smooth transfer to Duna, with an aerobrake manoeuvre that whipped the craft around the planet and out to kiss the SoI of Ike for a short burn to capture into orbit. It was just a joy to plan and perform.

Jebediah will perform scientific experiments, plant a flag and collect ground samples, before returning to dock with 'Companion', crewed by Valentina in orbit, ready for the return home.

ZmF0t2t.jpg

Edited by Chequers

I've finally launched my interstellar mission to Kerbol.

The cargo ship was the first one to depart from low Rhode orbit. The first part of the burn was done with plasma thrusters and the remaining liquid fuel (these engines were used to launch the whole thing off Armstrong). And once LFOx was gone, the ship switched to its primary antimatter engine:

cFExAfx.png

jTpJ2zl.png

The second ship - the one carrying science and exploration equipment as well as a number of brave kerbals - followed an orbit later:

6001zZ1.png

Plane correction burn are scheduled in 55 days. After that, both ships have dV to spend, so I will be playing some high-speed catch-up with good ol' Kerbol.

I forgot to include RCS propellent on my asteroid mission to practice intercepting and orbit changing.

Spoiler

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

I don't have Nuc's or resource mining yet so I was just hoping to change the orbit a little.  But after a minute of wondering why I couldn't do a 0.6 m/s burn to fine tune the intercept I figured it out. :mad:

I finally rebuilt my BattMan (see: KSP battery labels) Tumbler. It was meant to be my entry into the 2017 DAKAR challenge but the craft file quickly poofed out of existence. The visible wing segments are all Tweakscaled to 40% or 70%.

Some further changes may be pending (like enlarging the rear wheels) and it's not identical to the original but I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

jEARE9L.jpg

Z165m6J.jpg.jOCh21b.jpg.X2F3hBZ.jpg

Edited by JadeOfMaar

So after a summer off and restarting the game.

I managed a Mun Landing near the Neil Armstrong Monument,  5 Restarts from save at least                                                                  to figure out the correct crater rim.

Launched from the Mun and back into a, mostly, equatorial orbit.  4 restarts from a Save file

Scratched my head as to how i could end up .8 Science Points away from another 160 Tech bubble opening. :o

Back to the Mun it seems

This and, other, landings brought to you by Plutonium Nyborg

Been on a bit of a hiatus but did a bit of kerbaling again. Went to visit some old friends. 

The space station/craft supports much more than its current complement; I'm counting on expanding the crew there with supply missions and eventual rescues, perhaps setting up a mining operation on Gilly. The attached craft are a probe that I intend to drop into Eve, eventually, and a runabout designed for visiting Gilly. The main craft is nuclear-powered and has the legs to get back home easily, should I decide to bring her back instead of using her as a forward base. I have jettisoned the interplanetary transfer stage that got her here though.

-- While I was away, Blackrack and co have been working miracles on mods, Scatterer and EVE finally work as if they were stock, except everything looks really pretty. Impressive. 

FSR6578.png

Edited by Guest