What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Look at me Go

Had a Docking contract come up for Mun orbit.

So Jeb got to ferry a Station hub to Mun orbit, where he rescued two stranded Kerb-o-nauts, before parking the Hub.

Used a previous rescue to Ferry out my first 3 Kerbal Capsule, she moved into the station hub while Jeb and his rescues moved into the return craft. This was Jeb's first landing where his Lithobraking was under 5 m/s for once.

This and, other, landings brought to you by Plutonium Nyborg

On 10/25/2020 at 6:31 PM, Goaty1208 said:

Designed and currently flying the GSS Nautilus, a cargo freighter that uses just a mod: FTL drive recontinued ( or something like that) reworked (at least I think) by @linuxgurugamer. It is a part of my Laythe program. 16 crew members. Maximum of 21.

Happy 2200 page, @Xeldrak!!!

Thanks!

I'm moving right now - no time for KSP or any other games :(

I'm feeling a bit sad.... today I launched the Lindor VB, with Kerbals, to the Mun. All was going well:

jyjvoaY.png

DDh9w8Y.png

FFpHgqh.png

yFV4wsM.png

EWYWGkb.png

DtMHqgw.png

Until this happened...

bslofTU.png

I have no idea what happened, as the heatshield has full ablator and the orientation was locked retrograde. It has some of my favorite kerbals on it, including Halfield and Murder Murden Kerman. Now I have to write the whole thing for my mission report:

(Shameless self plug)

Spoiler

;.;

KERBARAGUA SPACE AGENCY MEMORANDUM

In Re:  Mission File 04

Vessel:  Probodyne I

Time:  Year 1, Day 18, 5 hours, 7 minutes

To:  President Manuel Kerman

Mr. President, I hope that today finds you happy and well.  We have some exciting news to share with you, and we trust that our efforts here at the KSA are bearing the fruit you had in mind when you requested this agency be born.

We apologize for the recent delays in communicating with you.  The local high school put on a carnival to raise money for the band, and we did the right thing by attending.  Unfortunately, we drank a little too much, and we totally forgot what time it was.  We showed up when the festivities began at 7:30, and before too long we realized it was Tuesday.  Yes, we lost that many days, but the kids got some well-needed band funds.  We think.  The balance sheet shows we donated money, but we also cannot account for how we ended up with a 10 year old Volkswagen Jetta with no tires.

Anyhow, please inform the CEO and the rest of the board at Probodyne that we have put the requested satellite into orbit.  As you can see from the picture below, we were able to figure out how to get the solar panels out and away from the nose cone; those spare robotic joints that we won in the poker game sure came in handy!  We did test out the communication capabilities of the antenna, and we can say that they are able to transmit just fine.  We had to expend the Mystery Goo to do so, but we are sure that Probodyne won't mind not having access to one of the components they wanted on the thing.

Please give our extreme thanks to the guys at Probodyne for letting us work on this project; we told them we wouldn't fail, and we were able to live up to that.

lFY7Kps.png

Sincerely,

XSOZhEG.png

Herman Kerman

Director, Kerbaragua Space Agency

Tested designs for the Dunas 9 future launch vehicle in my Leonidas save.

screenshot0.png

The rocket and mobile launch platform are higher than the VAB door...

screenshot1.png

Yes, you see that right. SLS core with 2 4m (3.125m KSP scale) Raptor-boosted RTLS boosters.

screenshot2.png

It's designed for very heavy payloads on trans-Duna orbits in JNSQ. I think it can manage 20 tons.

screenshot3.png

The boosters separate at about 20 km and 600 m/s.

screenshot4.png

And boost back to KSC (or across the ocean, if I need more payload).

screenshot5.png

screenshot6.png

Landing these boosters is a strange experience. They have an enormous TWR of ~8 when nearly dry, so the nominal landing burn is about 2 seconds long, and there is no way to achieve a pinpoint landing without ~10 seconds of engine gimbal. 

screenshot7.png

Core stage separates at about 70km and 2.5 km/s.

screenshot8.png

Of course, why would I ever waste those four SSMEs?

screenshot9.png

I have an inflatable heat shield for that!

screenshot10.png

The engine section splashes down 1,500 km downrange. It floats with the heatshield attached, so recovery ops should be fairly simple.

screenshot11.png

This flight carries a large habitat atop an Altair lander, pushing the upper limits of the Dunas 9's performance. The upper stage is an entirely self-sufficient spacecraft, equipped with RCS, comms, solar panels, a pair of super-efficient RL-60 engines, avionics, 0-boiloff tankage, and a docking port so it can service multiple payloads, kind of like ACES.

screenshot12.png

Unfortunately, this payload exhausted the upper stage's LOX and LH2 fuels so it will be expended.

screenshot13.png

I also tried out a design with the Pyrios boosters that were proposed for SLS. It has much better performance, but costs more per-flight due to the expendable nature of the LRBs.

I did some test flights for the Beyond Home Space Race to see if I can launch the Endurance to orbit from Rhode’s surface (possible, but requires an inefficient near-vertical launch profile due to the massive drag that thing produces) or send it up in bits and connect it up in orbit (not possible, the nodes for the ring and the modules on it are on the inside so it’s impossible to dock them together to use USI’s weldable docking ports, and they’re too heavy to do it effectively using KAS).

1 hour ago, Goaty1208 said:

Trying to do the same... :cool:

its easy

just build an oversized rocket with a capsule that can seat 2 and include a heat shield and parachute and land there. now if you wanna return then its much more complex... dont worry, i return ALL MY KERBALS! that's a trustworthy promise!

Btw you can make them both take OFF their helmet... ;) just in case you have something special for those two in mind.

Kerbal Kiss Program Only 39.99 on steam, PS4, and Xbox one

okay i need to chill...

Edited by DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE

Played around with new Far Future Technologies a little:

unknown.png

I might have cheated a bit with using WBI OmniStorage for Fission Particles tanks, but in the end, this monstrosity had 22 km/s dV @ 0.77 TWR in afterburner mode (limited by LH2 supply) and whooping 876km/s in base mode (with abysmal 0.06 TWR).

It also looks pretty okay, though I need prettier radiators for this thing...

Four missions, two rovers, two satellites, one plane to take them all into orbit. Not very exciting, just some gravity scans of the Mun and Minmus to do, but they take 90 days per surface biome or for space low/space high because Kerbalism; the satellites also carry a biome-specific orbital experiment that takes about 600 days to complete, PER BIOME. The Mun has about 15 biomes...

And then a massively overbuilt probe to fly to Laythe and scan it with every conceivable SCANsat scan, plus some extra science stuff too. High quality parts all round to make it survive the hostile environment of Jool's intense radiation belts, which made the probe much heavier and much, much more expensive than it would have been otherwise, but on the plus side it should last for many years and serve as a relay for future missions.

And I think engine plates are cursed in this particular save/KSP game, they keep causing explosions and/or parts getting badly warped out of position when I load a ship that has one; this includes two space stations around the Mun and Minmus and my first interplanetary mission which is currently en route to Gilly, so rather problematic if that one breaks!

Almost a year ago, I started playing KSP. I started a career mode game, and turned off quicksaves and reverts because I felt I'd learn the game better by ensuring I was careful and meticulous in my planning, and having them off forced me to. I kept them off because it was a real thrill to complete a complex mission without having to restart. I don't think I could ever play with them turned on now.

Today, after the successful return of Tenacious III from Ike, I finished the science tech tree. I hadn't upgraded all of the buildings beyond level 2 - and with 10 million in the bank - I upgraded KSC... which feels like I've now unlocked everything. 

It's been an amazing journey. I can still remembering wondering how I'd ever get to orbit. How I'd ever learn to rendezvous and dock. How i'd ever complete a landing on the Mun. How I'd ever explore beyond the Kerbin system.

But thanks to this fantastic community, who were always there to offer tips, advice and help, I've launched some really fun missions and overcome some big challenges. 

It's taken 11 months - perhaps because I handicapped myself by only allowing myself to collect science from one biome per mission, and not using things like the mobile processing lab. But I don't think I've ever enjoyed a 'game' more than this year. I know there's so much more to do; an Eve landing and return is begging to be tackled. I've never seen other planets except for Duna and Eve, and there's an infinite number of scribbled craft blueprints I need to bring to life. Maybe I'll check out the other modes, like Sandbox or Science. I've never used mods or bought the expansions... so there might be a few additions to check out.

But for now, I think it's time for the crew at Chequers Aerospace to have a rest. Thanks everyone.

8gmOiib.jpg

Edited by Chequers

1 hour ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

I questioned myself on how the heck did this topic get 2203 pages? that's what i did in KSP today.

It's called "the thread's been around since version 0.19", and in that 6.5 years and counting slice of KSP history, folks have done seven impossible things before breakfast on a nearly daily basis.

Incidentally, this is not the first time it's hit 2200+ pages...I think it was up to 3000 at one point before the last forum software migration. Fewer posts per page and all that. There have also been attempts over the years to start a new "whatcha up to" thread; they get merged into this one per forum policy. You know, because this one was here first.

Edited by capi3101

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

It's called "the thread's been around since version 0.19", and in that 6.5 years and counting slice of KSP history, folks have done seven impossible things before breakfast on a nearly daily basis.

Incidentally, this is not the first time it's hit 2200+ pages...I think it was up to 3000 at one point before the last forum software migration. Fewer posts per page and all that. There have also been attempts over the years to start a new "whatcha up to" thread; they get merged into this one per forum policy. You know, because this one was here first.

WOW! I ALREADY KNEW THAT! IT WAS A JOKE!

Suborbitally hopped through 6 different "in flight below 6000m" temperature readings on Minmus before landing the Mint Drop:

mint-drop.png

Very low tech rolling rover with batteries, reaction wheels, thermometer, and 4 argh 3 argh 2 remaining solar panels.

10 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

Suborbitally hopped through 6 different "in flight below 6000m" temperature readings on Minmus before landing the Mint Drop:

mint-drop.png

Very low tech rolling rover with batteries, reaction wheels, thermometer, and 4 argh 3 argh 2 remaining solar panels.

who knew coronavirus could do so much... just kidding