What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

In a little bit once I have the time I will be making my next video of Parallax! Probably my first mod review. Well see I need to see how Kopernicius works in 1.10.1

Today I did an emergency upgrade of the astronaut complex: Jeb ran out of fuel when trying to get home from the first flyby of the Mun (in this save) and I needed that to teach him the secrets of getting out and pushing the spaceship. :cool:

16 hours ago, eatU4myT said:

Check that the new bigger heavier ship still has a TWR >1, or no amount of extra time is going to help!

TWR was indeed the issue.  I more than doubled the weight of the original ship I used to get to the Mun...and tried to use the same landing engine (the Terrier).  When I tried to land the thing didn't have enough "punch" to slow me down enough to land properly.

Interestingly enough, I was able to increase the Pe to 12k above the surface of the Mun, throttle to max with the Terrier, and land, with the new ship design.  And I realized I was using the wrong engine not during the landing, but rather when trying to take off from the Mun.  I kept wondering "Why is it taking so darned long to get back into orbit", and it finally dawned on me that I didn't have enough thrust in the engine I was using.  But, at least I got Jeb and that dumb tourist to the Mun and back.  :)

4 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

How did you make the blueprint?

You have to install the Kronal Vessel Viewer mod, which allows to make captures from the VAB/SPH.
Then you post process the whole thing in Photoshop/GIMP.

You can watch these 2 videos which explains the whole process thing :)
The fist one for KVV. Note that KVV does not allow to display edges only anymore.

This video explains how to process an image to display edges only.

I should make a video on this focusing on GIMP, which is a free tool.

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

After many hours of tinkering and testing, I finally achieved my goal. A true plane SSTO that uses ONLY tier 3 parts or bellow. Is ugly as sin, requires moderate flying skills, takes a pilot and 2 passengers in LKO

BwHjUdk.png

Takes off the runway on 4 Juno, but you have to wait for end of runway and Reliants have to be engaged right at the end. Junos get turned off around 14km and Terriers get engaged. Reliants get turned off once you reached a 40 km Ap, and thing flies into orbit the rest of the way using only terriers. Reliants can be used for short bursts of speed when necessary.

Entries on its back, to protect the basic wheels

ibluUUJ.png

Is stable during reentry, maybe a bit too stable, has a problem keeping an AoA, so you have to bob up and down to make it break. I might have to tweak CoL more for an extremely smooth reentry, or add more reaction wheels. Has a service bay which can contain more batteries or experiments, as needed.

Uses Junos to land fairly easy, just make sure is very horizontal, as there isn't much clearance, due to wheels being close to the body to minimize drag.

6mUXQqp.png

Edit:

After some refining, here is final form, with 700 m/s dV remaining in orbit ! I ditched atmospherics completely, not worth it to lug them around for the benefit they provide, just added few seconds of fuel. Moved stuff around, simplified, now is a pure rocket plane. Starts on runway, as it needs the lift generated by wings to offset TWR < 1.

JUbmFal.png

Edited by Zamolxes77

Finally my largest station with artificial gravity is in orbit. Launching it was quite difficult!
BTW the large rotors need a lower minimum RPM than 5. We may also need a 2.5 meter rotor.
KxvbQzE.png

So many ways in which it can crash..
gFORE8S.png

Sometimes the kraken still attacks when it's in orbit. But not often.
j0vidsc.png

:cool:
1c3IMhI.png

18 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I started a new lightly modded career and visited Mun and Minmus.

Why is that in any way significant? It's the first time I've played outside of challenges in who knows how long. Over a year I bet.

Let me know if you ever publish another Let's play. I loved watching your videos !

I continue my trend, exploring plane SSTO's on the lower end. This is my attempt for a T4 plane SSTO. Wanted to use some air breathing engines, and surprisingly, Wesley work pretty well. I also wanted to use the Skipper which is unlocked at tier 4 (5 on wiki, not counting the tier you start with, tier 0). Weighs little more than 2 reliants, but has nearly triple the thrust and more efficient, ASl and VAC.

This is the first crude attempt, the thing looks mostrous, but flies like a dream, up down, atmo breaking ! Size of the Skipper makes it stick out like a sore thumb and using 2.5m fuel tanks makes it look extremely ...ODD.

xAWYG6U.png

Naturally, I will try to tweak it some more. Ascent profile is easy: take off on Weasely's, AoA 20, at 2,000 meters try to level off, maintaining speed. At around 5,500 meters and 280 m/s, engage Skipper, go up to AoA 45-50, then fly it like a rocket into orbit.

XuRbnBI.png

Takes 4 passengers and a set of science into LKO. Going to try to add a docking port, RCS and some solar panels, as well as increasing its range in orbit a little bit. Naturally, a chemical SSTO that takes off as a rocket and land as a plane is probably more feasible at this point, Skipper is very powerful.