What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

On 11/14/2020 at 11:30 AM, iamn00b said:

FIRST SUCCESSFUL MUN LANDING TODAY! 

Congratulations!

On 11/14/2020 at 11:48 AM, iamn00b said:

quick question: is 1330m/s dV enough to return from the Mun to Kerbin?

It's should be enoug especialy if You exit in such a path to touch Keribn atmosphere for breaking.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:00 AM, RoninFrog said:

There's hardly any drag up here, 10km from space!  Objective completed, everybody!  Objective completed.

Stairs to heaven? A ladder meybe?

On 11/16/2020 at 3:17 AM, Selective Genius said:

The only problem is the tendency of the craft to roll.

Bigger props - lower rpm?

Recently, I built my first chopper and called it Chippewa:

P9T3Llu.png

I'm so excited about it that I am going to enter it into the upcoming Kerbin Helicopter Circumnavigation fly-fest, which will be announced shortly and I believe will kick off on December 1st.

So tonight, I built a fuel service vehicle I've dubbed Euler:

neZQ0YX.png 

The concept is that you land your chopper on Euler's upper deck and refuel your helo for its next leg...

Like this:

Spoiler

zgDwjfs.png     ryax9Ss.png

OoF1H2P.png     j7LcXOh.png

mhmyiTh.png      OK, well, like that, but without "getting carried away"...

[I actually got the alignment straighter than that but one of the chopper's shut-down sequence keys also toggles the claw on Euler, and released the chopper.  So I have to harmonize those controls.]

Edited by Hotel26

Today I started a new career for the purposes of attempting the KSP Caveman Challenge.  I'm trying to accumulate as many science points as I can before actually getting into space, which means a lot of what seems to be repetitive experiments.  I've completed the first 3 levels of the Tech Tree, sans Stability, and I have 6.9 science points left.  I've launched precisely twice to this point, with both launches going straight up, and neither surpassing 14k meters.  My next 4 launches will all also be nowhere near even sub-orbital; I plan on going east, north, west, and south from the KSC in a pretty standard and small rocket, with the purpose of each flight to simply land somewhere and then get crew reports, temperature and pressure readings, and EVA reports.  Without being able to upgrade any of the buildings, I can't take surface samples, but my guess is that I should be able to garner enough science points through these 4 launches to get about halfway through level 4 on the tech tree...and I haven't even gotten to space yet.

I will get back to the challenge later today after my meetings settle down.  Will report on progress again either tonight or tomorrow!

I've been busy!

vector-from-hell.jpg

Behold the Thrust Vector From Hell, it can aim 220 kN of force any direction but down.

nuclear-munstation.jpg

I've also joined the atomic era with quad-NERV tugs which can take anything anywhere.

nuclear-mun.jpg

And a 1-NERV reusable Mun lander I'm somewhat proud of for building a 1-NERV anything that's actually stable.

kerbnet.jpg

I just realized that the lab has a kerbnet biome scanner and set meself some targets!

nuclear-vector.jpg

NERVs are also going to deep space for asteroid wrangling, carrying the production version of the Vector From Hell.  Why vector your engines when you can vector the entire ship!?

I've also been messing around with probe arms with my improved version of the Mint Drop, the Mun Cake.  (Yes, there's no wheels, just roll with it.)

sample-arm-1.jpg

sample-arm-2.jpg

Alas, clearences were too tight to fit it back on the lander, it will have to remain on the mun!

Edited by Corona688

I continued to refine my attempt at building a Tier 4 SSTO, first making it bigger:

E4AfXBk.png

Then finally dumping the 1.825m parts and going straight to 2.50 metrs.

18UEuyp.png

Despite my sincerest efforts, I couldn't squeeze more dV out of the 1.825 m version, which in my opinion looks best. I also had to switch the cockpit, as a docking port on plane part looks weird:

sS7Odgz.png

The 2.5m version has about 400-500 dV for orbit operations however it doesn't look as good.

3boqfus.png

I tried to build a rocket only version, but the Skipper doesn't have enough TWR to push wings, wheels and all that into orbit and have enough dV.

Gonna add the craft files to Kerbal X if anyone is interested to tweak them some more.

I found the "Tut-Uh Jeb" and the old KSC

QB3lgTx.jpg09ER9ig.jpg

51 minutes ago, Zamolxes77 said:

I continued to refine my attempt at building a Tier 4 SSTO, first making it bigger:

E4AfXBk.png

Then finally dumping the 1.825m parts and going straight to 2.50 metrs.

18UEuyp.png

Despite my sincerest efforts, I couldn't squeeze more dV out of the 1.825 m version, which in my opinion looks best. I also had to switch the cockpit, as a docking port on plane part looks weird:

sS7Odgz.png

The 2.5m version has about 400-500 dV for orbit operations however it doesn't look as good.

3boqfus.png

I tried to build a rocket only version, but the Skipper doesn't have enough TWR to push wings, wheels and all that into orbit and have enough dV.

Gonna add the craft files to Kerbal X if anyone is interested to tweak them some more.

You can use the mainsail engine (by control it thrust limit):kiss:

So I'm continuing my push for the Caveman challenge.  As of this morning, I have finally finished launching in 3 directions (east to water, north to grass, west to mountains), as well as straight up into space.  I will not be launching south, primarily because I'll land in the water again, and I won't get any science points for taking the same readings in that water that I took in the ocean to the east.  And when I eventually start launching far north enough to hit the poles, I won't have to go south because, again, same readings in the same type of biome.

I finished Level 3 this morning, and I have earned enough science points to pick up Advanced Rocketry and Basic Science.  Thanks to Basic Science, I get to do most of my flights a second time.  Why?  Science Junior.  For more science points.  It may be tedious, but you have to eke out every point you can get to finish this challenge.  And with no building upgrades, I don't want to have to try guessing at orbital maneuvers until I absolutely have to.

I will say that this challenge is making me think ahead on how to get things accomplished.  For example, no EVA off Kerbin's surface.  Which means no surface samples from the Kerbals.  Which then means I may have to rely upon self-driving rovers to collect said samples...which then leads me to thinking about how to get them to the Mun (as an example) when I'm limited to 18 tons and 30 parts.  So I go down this road of "Well, I can build this in pieces and use docking ports to get it all together...but to do that I'll need to build a space station...which will have to be built in pieces with docking ports...".  You get the idea.  And I love that this challenge is making me think ahead and in a different way than I was before.

I'll be back later today with another update on what's going on with all the flights getting science points using the Science Junior!

After a long break I'm returning to KSP.... I'm starting a new career, I don't really know what will be the goal of this one. But I'm having fun =)

y4mw9sARGOC_v3OnI3DM6ewf6JEX0z5gbeSrePa3 

Ok driving these rovers is sometimes a nightmare due to a bug making everything slides like crazy....

y4mWmfyJjBinM1PJAf7UST4s1iFB4u8pE8jnn1g5

First landing on Minmus !

y4mgCcpjq1oiuqdKCfNZy6Ogm6Ku6r66lRgOG3SD

Is finally done, I manage to create a synthesis of the different designs, looks sleek and flies very well. It can be flown very easily to remain with 600+ m/s dV in orbit, about 100 is needed to de-orbit, so you have 500dV left for orbital operations, including docking.

Don't forget to shed the "hat" once you enter space !

K1NulUp.png

As promised, here is the craft file, have fun

https://kerbalx.com/Zamolxes77/T4-SSTO-mk7

If anyone needs other craft files from the planes I posted, let me know !

I reloaded a quick save to try again at catching an asteroid.

img%5D

I went in more cautiously and seemed to get a better placement.

img%5D

And trying to catch a D class asteroid with a Pusher type vessel is not working out for me.

img%5D

The work has started on a Puller type vessel and we will see if that works out better.

To fullfill mission cheap I landed 300m from refueling on da Mun - fuel has ended 8m/s few meters above the ground, but I were prepared with powerfull landing legs with spring and damper on max values. Refueled, gathered all from all rovers and on route back home.

I starting to understund why minimalistic missions are so great fun.

The nuclear tug Sad Sack's rockets accidentally intersected my minmus lander, producing Awesome Rays Of Nuclear Fire, or ARONF for short:

rays-of-fire.jpg

Fortunately the lander suffered nothing worse than a layer of paint removed.  Unfortunately this robbed the mission of enough delta-v that it is not going to space today.  Except in the sense that it's already in space, but not getting much spacier, until the tug is reversed and someone refuels the whole mess.

Edited by Corona688

More rebuilding old crap i had laying around on my drive that just isnt up to modern standards or has something i dont like about it.

9pDKx4y.png

I think this one came out good looking enough to call a finished replica.  Unlike the previous version of this (its not exactly the first time i made a Ha'tak), i used the gold tri-panels liberally (its rather heavy and laggy because of it and those alone at like 1/3 the part count).  Also cut down the seaminess and general bleh around the wing based exterior paneling (the combination of weird angles and curves makes that particular section a nightmare to get right and even now its not truly 100%).  Honestly, the only part i might still redo are the 3 main exterior tips since they dont quite look right.

Eskrob1.png

otherwise, fully capable with 1 medium port in the underside bay flanked by 3 small for storing fighter ammo or even smaller fighters, and 3 aux 0.6m ports in the exterior wing structure (hidden inside and mostly useless for anything but ammo storage/utility as its near impossible to get a starfighter inside to reach them).  Havent armed it yet, but ill likely make a separate "armed" version that strips a few of the less essential asthetic crap like the bridge and uses the saved parts to add at least 4 quad SRMs which seems to be my favorite loadout right now on replicas as its plenty of ammo and isnt quite as OP as heavy torpedoes at instakilling targets.  Still, as far as "unconventional" ships go, this is probably my best looking and most successful model.

I got Bob to polar lowlands on da Mun by roller from polar crater. Harsh mountains.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198104150385/screenshots/?appid=220200

using this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2279218224

fastest almost ground electric driven vehicle I have on da Mun. Its easy to get over 60m/s and kill Bob.

Edited by vv3k70r