What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

14 hours ago, djr5899 said:

Hadn't played much in the past few months, but over the past 2 weeks, I've really got back into playing, with the goal of developing a craft that can get me to most places in the stock game.  For having played this game for 4-5 years, I've still never been to most of the planets.  I always spend the few hours a day/week I have playing KSP trying to build something, only to have it fail, and my available time is up.

So, last week I built a craft with about 9500 dV that should be able to get me to every planet/moon except for Eve, Jool, Laythe, and Tylo.  I built one version with a detachable lander to go down to the planet/moon surface, and another version that is an unmanned refueler, with an unmanned refueling craft (that has the ability to land on a surface and mine for more fuel if needed).  I need to build a 3rd variant that can deliver a rover to the surface as well, but, I'm really happy with the results.  It is time for me to see all these planets/moons in my own game, not just screenshots.  A few of them like Jool and Eve, I've never even made an attempt to get into their SOI.

This week, I tested out my main manned craft build, and sent crewed missions to Duna, Dres, Eeloo and, just because I had a good intercept...sent one to the Jool system.  Next is to port these over to a new career game (will likely wait for 1.11 release), mine science like crazy from Kerbin, Mun, and Minmus....and FINALLY check out all these places I never tried to get to before.

Here is the return craft and lander variant sitting in the Jool system:

Spoiler

f4p3b6A.png

The refueling version getting into orbit around Kerbin:

FgFRdKf.png

On the pad, ready for launch (believe this is the refuel version, but they are almost identical with the fairing on)

pOjlZ3c.png

Note to self...accidentally installing your lander can upside down is not an enjoyable time.

20 hours ago, DunaManiac said:

I've been working on creating a Laythe colony, and I've designed an interesting versatile exploration vehicle.

Could You dock it back so straight that it fly corectly?

7 hours ago, IncompetentSpacer said:

I shaved over 10 tons of weight of reducing number of engines to 2 for horizontal travel and installing two airspike engines in a cargobay.

Inspired by russion jumping fighter?

I docked on untweaked nuke engine to the growing, monstrosity station (I have thrusters so I plan to dock monoprop for this vessel later)

Screen is dark because it was indarknes using navball only, but important is that there is no monoprop (in fact I realised this lack of monprop when I was already on rescue assigment, and try to play without it):

D1842838DE25F87DE790C424003F4F2264FF68E1

Trash space station made of junk flying around on orbit - I have to expand seats for Kerbals, customers orders in aerospace industrie consider that it would be made with part from can using bubble gum and silver tape?:

EAF0DE133D50AD48868044521CB206CAABDC1714

Wuite a low assist on minmus:

A0CB80D1876C7D6366CAAF515707E09B1B1D31B3

Mission control handling few mission at same time during launch to Minmu without coasting to orbit - just from fall in high suborbital on srbs (ap>400km, pe <-1km missing atmosphere by few hundred metters by another srb on highest v during fall - minmus two days away):

8633CD742B9B0371C9D71A9032A247D204A594CB

Ride to Minmus - checking wheels 2days before landing:

EA724EAD80377742288EDFAFFA69FE111750958B

2 minutes ago, vv3k70r said:

Could You dock it back so straight that it fly corectly?

7 hours ago, IncompetentSpacer said:

Yeah. It's designed to be reusable, and it's connected by docking ports on the ground. There's really one way it can dock, and that is the correct one.

I didn't do much today.  Launched a sub-orbital rocket to try and get north to the ice shelf/polar region so I could get some more science in my Caveman career.  Landed well short of the shelf...but I picked up some science points from the materials study on Kerbin's Grassland.  I'd like to get some better propulsion systems to make it easier on getting fuel tanks and engines up to the space station, so slow and steady wins the race!

I maneuvered The Jool 1 probe from Pol to Bop.

img%5D

Then we went to Tylo.

img%5D

And shortly after the departure burn from Tylo, the satellite lost comms and/or power before it could transfer to Vall. I blame the time warping 160 days for the cheapest transfer to Vall. 

img%5D

Solar panels collect power but the  battery doesn't charge and there is no probe control. 

4 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

Inspired by russion jumping fighter?

I have heard of Yak-38 (from VTOL documentary many,many years ago) but it was the first idea that was presented to me when I watched Scott Manley's video on building VTOL aircraft.

However I really wanted a harrier type of solution so I went my own way with robotic parts but unfortunately it is not a good solution in KSP (you can make VTOL/SSTO with rotatable engines but if in an atmosphere the drawbacks seem to be many compared to separate engines solution - not so much in vacuum though) .

Rocket engines, installed the way they are now in the design, were suggested to me when I asked for tips and tricks in a separate thread here on the forum .

2 hours ago, Popestar said:

I didn't do much today.  Launched a sub-orbital rocket to try and get north to the ice shelf/polar region so I could get some more science in my Caveman career.  Landed well short of the shelf...but I picked up some science points from the materials study on Kerbin's Grassland.  I'd like to get some better propulsion systems to make it easier on getting fuel tanks and engines up to the space station, so slow and steady wins the race!

You have limited yourself to Kerbal Space Center as launching facility or do you have some flexibility there? Woomerang Launch Site is much closer to the North pole. Also if you unlock aviation (45 science, level 3 node? Or 2? dont remember). It is much easier to explore the domes around Kerbin (and cheaper, especially if you manage to return to Kerbal Space Center or one of the other facilities).

Today I finally completed the Beyond Home Space Race- from the opening science node to landing bases on Janus and all four moons in under 7 Kerbin years. I would post some screenshots of the most recent stuff, but quite frankly I've spent a mildly obscene amount of time staring at this screen today and I can't face another wall of screenshots on imgur to pick the good ones out.

OK, fine. One screenshot.

oJLQBOg.png

Oh, alright then, two.

8JmtwfB.png

1 hour ago, IncompetentSpacer said:

You have limited yourself to Kerbal Space Center as launching facility or do you have some flexibility there? Woomerang Launch Site is much closer to the North pole. Also if you unlock aviation (45 science, level 3 node? Or 2? dont remember). It is much easier to explore the domes around Kerbin (and cheaper, especially if you manage to return to Kerbal Space Center or one of the other facilities).

This particular career is for the Caveman challenge, so I am limited to the KSC.  But that's ok; I'm getting pushed in ways I wouldn't otherwise, and I'll certainly be using what I learn in this career in other ones.  It will all be worth it in the end!

I have a base on da Mun that have something wrong with docking port after fillfiling an asigment of upgrading the base, and I would have it in another crater there is a fuel supply to conect (next asigment). Mine can fly, but in the NWcrater is much less ore. So Ithink a bit and try to ignite this mostrosity realising after a while that I even landed without crashing anything so I planned a longer journey just to take this crapy lab rover of the NWcrater, because its climbing rate even with tractor is terrible (or even worse - not climbing).

So i took a flight, learn to navigate it by tweaking engines, but flight turn out to be not much usefull by jumping a bit wasting horrible ammounts of fuel just to keep it in space. Anyway - this can fly and land.

B88F996F3E9F650D6897EBE74ADEF16B3AA945CD

But after a while a assumed that it will be cheaper to build this base as asigned. 40km dosent bring me much closer for this crapy rover attached as unbalancing tail.

Pipeline to cooling station conected, temperature stable. Kraken didnt noticed.

D7AB5FF0B07246826A9DCDAACA8FFD488382DB1A

Edited by vv3k70r

Yesterday, after hours of fiddling with the wing board parts (we need a better attachment system for Aero parts.) I designed this, my first boat :

3th372nck5261.png

Unfortunately, the thing I wanted the Claw to pick up (the speedboat in the middle) wouldn't fit.

I designed and tested a Munbase for a crew of 3. At the living requirements of 2 seats per crew, one crew member has to sleep in the science lab.

d7KFEdz.png

I am not very happy with the placement of the giant solar panels as it clips into several important parts.. I also need to provide a docking node in the front to allow for further expansion of the base.

Finally got around to actually sending KSS Venture to Kerbol. To cut down the travel time to the (un)reasonable duration of 2 years, a massive burn of nearly 40km/s was needed. Thankfully, the ship pack so much dV that it will still have about half of the fuel after it arrives to its destination and decelerates.

4RgEqnV.png

20 hours ago, N_Danger said:

I maneuvered The Jool 1 probe from Pol to Bop.

img%5D

Then we went to Tylo.

img%5D

And shortly after the departure burn from Tylo, the satellite lost comms and/or power before it could transfer to Vall. I blame the time warping 160 days for the cheapest transfer to Vall. 

img%5D

Solar panels collect power but the  battery doesn't charge and there is no probe control. 

This looks so much like my "Fairy" line of Ion probe+Relay crafts I usually "seed" my KSP games with.
Looks awesome,  How much Delta-V does it have?  Mine was about 9k give or take, tho maneuvering at Jool with Ions can prove challenging because of power issues ;)

14 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

This looks so much like my "Fairy" line of Ion probe+Relay crafts I usually "seed" my KSP games with.
Looks awesome,  How much Delta-V does it have?  Mine was about 9k give or take, tho maneuvering at Jool with Ions can prove challenging because of power issues ;)

The D/V is about 6500 m/s with nuclear engine and a t/w of 0.3. I don't have the patience  to use ION Prop. ;)

I made a mission to measure some seismic activities in mountainous areas. So I decided to a plane with a small rover to reach difficult areas.

The mission went pretty well until the rover crash in the mountains breaking the docking port and few other stuff. :D

y4mPByqm_fN-7xMmY1OIG-xVD4KWLS7QBHdXD-VO

y4mmPcfhXVIHCuIm7o7tCojd9LFSJE5cJzdmoR9j

Well, ive officially made my first ever SSTO dropship that im happy with...

NX34sHV.png

Loading tanks err armored cars...

wHk9cDf.png

9JTEXeW.png

A bit too maneuverable (it is actually possible to tear it apart by pitching up max at very high speeds/low altitudes),but hey, i need every bit of that maneuvering since it can barely lift at all when you shove over 20 tons into the bay.

Iz1THDr.png

Drag free payloads are fun (aero shielding isnt really realistic, but hey, its as close to sci-fi i can get in stock aerodynamics without excessive mods).

9JZereO.png

B7Nv6MQ.png

Reaches Minmus, VTOLs, and can then refuel with IRSU...

Gc3n8Ep.png

ZexdRZb.png

tanks deployed successfully (although i could easily have just refueled and probably landed on Duna (or maybee even send to Jool) with them (which i will have to try next)...

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

I tripped over a surface science experiment and got this after landing back home

Me8ngw0.jpg

Those occasional bugs where the game isn't quite sure where you are or what you're doing are always funny. Once, when testing an Ike lander, I flew too low and encountered the surface - losing a few parts, but retaining a controllable vehicle. From that point on, the game was convinced that I was landed, despite the fact that I was travelling at more than 100m/s several kilometres above the surface :P

I did some fishing after realising there is science to do:

63C5CBA2899828B1DA8EFAAEB4CA2992BE20D529

But on 320m deep I get a notice, that it is enough. Because Kerbals dosent seems to use air for breathing in prolonged spaceflights next uboat be filled with gasoline to balance with lesssquesable pressure^^

Because of fhisick in the game I wonder if ducted fan would work on electric motor. Is there a way to use electric proppeler underwater?

Then I get to ionprop and started planing of Kerbol explorer. And get to pricing. So it has to explore moho or something on way back and to reset science it needs a scientist, So I found one brave student and employed him doubling the craft price. Because I'm not so evil to send him for a long mission (and insurance for him is surely paid yearly^^) he must get to 610km over sun fast in this refrigator:

4B6078528BA3AED5D4A77495D65ABDB6EBBCB85D

Driven by cheapest battery. Ploting manouvers show that the whole idea of gravity turn dosent help in case chasing low PE of the Sun. Price of vessel made booster stage insignificant in dispute with bookkeeper. So the gravity turn made against sun means no gravity turn because Kerbin rotate and I can ignite at night going stright up on boosters with trajectory that lead me to the Sun in 150d after 3h ion burning in AP around 25days away.

Stright up launch, no orbit, no gravity turn, boosters up to the Kerbin escape v:

B879C4D21B4844276F15E2C6C521B1E65BD4E206

He gonna be crispy quite fast. Manned mission to the sun. He took a flag^^

17 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Those occasional bugs where the game isn't quite sure where you are or what you're doing are always funny. Once, when testing an Ike lander, I flew too low and encountered the surface - losing a few parts, but retaining a controllable vehicle. From that point on, the game was convinced that I was landed, despite the fact that I was travelling at more than 100m/s several kilometres above the surface :P

That often happens if you break a solar panel on the surface- because the panel is strewn across the ground the game thinks you’re still landed even when you fly away.

18 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I tripped over a surface science experiment and got this after landing back home

Me8ngw0.jpg

I once got one for an EVA report while flying low over the sun, when I was actually somewhere in Kerbin’s SOI.