What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Made a run at the Lightest Double-SSTO Challenge.   My entry is absolutely the heaviest entry so far.   However, on a per-Kerbal basis it does pretty good.   I was able to get 16 Kerbals to orbit, return to KSC, get to orbit again, and get back to KSC again, without refueling.  At 99.3T initial launch weight, that's about 6.2T per Kerbal, to get to orbit (and back) twice.   Some of the other entries have very light ships, which are able to get to orbit twice without refueling.

Here's a link to my entry:

think I may have a workaround for a new, nasty bug on launching crafts using some older, third party add'ons (as Firespitter, Impossible Innovations and OPT Legacy - but surely we have more on the wild).

Some parts summon the Wrath of the Krakens instantly, even by installing World Stabilizer:

0003.jpg

0006.jpg

0003.jpg

So I tried this stunt on KSP Recall (beta release available here for the brave Kerbonauts willing to challenge the Krakens).

And now the very same vessels that were exploding in the most unexpected and unpleasant ways before, now are launched correctly:

0000.jpg

0000.jpg

(Full history and more screenshots on my site)

If you had some of your vessels blowing up at launch, and want to help to check if this solution really fixes your case, please BACKUP EVERYTHING and download the latest KSP Recall Beta (not to be used if you are not willing to risk your savegame!) to help me check if this really fixes the problem without creating new ones!

7 hours ago, eberkain said:

I saw something really funny while trying to get my rover crane flipped back over. 

To solve this problem go to save file, see the position and altitude, set altitude 2-3 meters above ground (if flat enough for bas), then hack gravity to 10 and all undestructibilines on cheats - it will fall corectly on the ground. Turn off cheats and play along.

Save position of the base in air in separate txt to copy/paste it in case it will happen again and/or base move.

It could be conected to map mesh, not only postion, but... it is all we can do around it for now.

4 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

To solve this problem go to save file, see the position and altitude, set altitude 2-3 meters above ground (if flat enough for bas), then hack gravity to 10 and all undestructibilines on cheats - it will fall corectly on the ground. Turn off cheats and play along.

Save position of the base in air in separate txt to copy/paste it in case it will happen again and/or base move.

It could be conected to map mesh, not only postion, but... it is all we can do around it for now.

World Stabiliser would not help on the matter?

1. find a big, old flat field
  2. post a sign [click & arrows to see the images]
  3. the planes will come

LnCtHE6.png   sZsiv2c.png   wC7zqhV.png

I'm flying aircraft into a nearby field to line them up in 4 separate flight lines (around the "runway") so I can occasionally fly in, see what I've got and maybe fly out in a different plane to use for a while.

So much more hands-on than trying to peruse the list in the SPH...

13 minutes ago, eberkain said:

I have not tried it, but I can reliably wreck my base by using the cheat menu to move a vessel near the base. 

So apparently we have a third collateral effect to handle now! <irony>Sweet!</irony>. :P 

Give Vessel Mover a try (as well World Stabiliser). This last stunt I'm trying to fix using KSP-Recall can also be worked around using Vessel Mover (i.e., spawning vessels using it instead of launching them using the KSP's code). It appears to be more convenient than your way.

In a way or another, if you are on the mood for bug-hunting, please contact me on the KSP-Recall thread. I think there's a way to automate your workaround, and if we manage to programatically detect when it will be needed, we can try to build a transparent workaround (World Stabiliser style).

15 hours ago, eberkain said:

I saw something really funny while trying to get my rover crane flipped back over. 

Repeat the misbehaviour with F12 and F11 activated (viewers for atmospheric forces and heat on the parts), and then check the F3 Log. I think something exploded very nastily due something not being initialised correctly when the Physics Engine kicks in, and the rest of the parts are only victims of that initial problem.

ksp_asteroid_fuel.png

After a comedy of errors that required 3 different ships just to mine this space potato, I finally have things in place.  This class D is in fairly low equatorial Kerbin orbit now and has about 3/4ths of its useful mass left.  I expect I'll get about 20 to 30 Rockomax-64 tanks' worth out of it, which works out to around 18 to 27 after you account for having to ferry it back to the orbital fuel station in proper LKO.  That's about 4.5 times more than I'm going to need for the Dunaverse mission, so I'm good with it.

As I work towards mining ore, I know I need to do orbital surveys, followed by surface surveys, to find the best pockets of goodness.  Amd as it turns out, I had a contract in my career game to position a satellite in orbit around the Mun.  I figured I could hijack said satellite for my own nefarious purposes, so I put an M700 on it and sent it on its way.  And now I have an overlay of the resources on the Mun.  Dinkelstein paid for it, so what do I care if it's just floating around useless now?

I did realize that the wiki states to put this in polar orbit, but I did an equatorial one, and it worked fine.  Does the wiki need updating?  Do certain versions prior to what I'm using (1.8.3) require the polar orbit?

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/M700_Survey_Scanner#Scanning_requirements

I just running scrap yard on da Mun:

DFEAF422911BE3B8AE085EE927BE5FD3DB2657FE

Rovers is build on site from scrap parts, pipes are to build electrical towers with lights for landing site around base. I rebuilded some rockets and send them to space. 1.11 +KIS/KAS do miracles.

Here pipes are delivered and a bit further crane is exposed (it carry all those constructions to right place).

5BEFCD127B05305694C7DB1FA4C5E325E533D487

Edited by vv3k70r

Today in KSP I did... nothing. My old PC (all I have due to being back with family when they put the whole country into lockdown again) can barely run the stock game due to a lack of RAM so I bought MOAR RAM to fix that issue; turns out that the motherboard can only cope with so much RAM per slot and in total and I was overdoing it, causing it to either not boot up or display scary blue screen errors. There might not be such a thing as “too many boosters” but apparently “too many RAMs” is...

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

So it turns out that 300t of asteroid goes a lot faster than I thought it would, filling only about 6 or 7 Rockomax-64 tanks despite reporting there being so much rock left to mine.  Seems like I was getting more ore for the first 25% than I did for the last 75%, should probably investigate that...  Fortunately I still have more than enough to get Dunaverse out the door without relying on surface fuel, but man.  This whole asteroid mining effort was a complete waste of time, though.  I used way more fuel draining it than I got out of it.

There's no such thing as too much drag, there's only too little thrust...

wkmq1BG.jpg

Big, fast, loud,  screw-the-economic-downturn "Crimson Stingray" space yacht (SX-33 V-3 for nerds) is SPAS' newest long-range vessel . With accomodations for four and an all-glass cockpit, it is a perfect sightseeing vessel*, boasting up to ~4000 dV in orbit** to take you where tax evasion investigators won't find you. Derived from "Duna Soar" project, it excels at gliding through even the thinnest of atmospheres***, providing ample time for you to enjoy your obscenely overpriced glass of champagne from the floating gardens of Eve without the roar of the engines.  Lacking in maneuverability and pointless for exploration, "Crimson Stingray" is mostly about waking up poor colonists of Duna and Laythe with its sonic boom to remind them how great new-money millionaires like yourself are. Exhibit a bespoke level of decadence by renouncing the petty notion of "fuel efficiency" and leaving the concerns of "lift-to-drag ratio" to hoi polloi — make this yacht yours today!

* — opinion of SPAS' chief engineer, ** — when following recommended ascent profile with 0.001 m/s deviation, *** — compared to other SPAS' spaceplanes  

I was getting some contracts to explore Gilly, so I went completely overboard in designing this lander. The front decouples so the driver can make a return trip. The engines face perpendicular to its launch orientation, which makes maintaining CoM-CoT balance fun. In retrospect, a few extra fuel tanks would have fixed my balance problems.

Then I put one on Gilly, one on the Mun, and one on Ike. Should make future trips easier if I find myself needing to refuel.

gillyminer.png

ksp_munbase_alpha.png

Owing to the fact that the entire active duty roster of KSC is about to head off to Duna, one last trip was scheduled for maintenance to Mun Base Alpha.  Karman Kerman ("the Kerbal to call when you need to draw the line on space") went up and delivered some repair kits, batteries, and solar panels.  While she and her friends are off to Duna, the KSC is hoping to establish a permanent Mun presence at this base.  We'll see if reality allows for their ambitions to come to fruition.

Landed on Vasto:

gKWYkxY.png

Undocked from the transfer tug and about to begin preparations for the deorbiting burn.

oK25M89.png

egi24j6.png

W1M7HxL.png

Flying through some small-scale snow storm while killing horizontal speed. The snow effect might not actually be seen that well on the static picture, but it is definitely quite noticeable in-game.

ID6UboB.png

First Kerbal on Vasto!

Building powerplant for base, but...

about working in space (cant do from a seat) and be fixed in position so the Kerbal would no float away... use ladder?

BB5B6EFC3664974E537431F5FFEBDBE14F3F66AB

Ladder - a must for a space engineer to avoid fall from the space :)

Ground experiment with a proper conection to first hop:

DE5DD078A82969825A6C1EE13C39343661754150

Tower build from old scrap. Deployable by rocket^^

Manual pinpoint landing near the base...

828B789873A265EE8B41EC27C6ADD5F3865F6809

With something bigger than base:

A157ABC9ED2B9C4076395215F476FACD69871B88

And robotic parts docked to base freaked out. Robotic have issues.

Edited by vv3k70r

1 hour ago, silks said:

Successfully landed on Laythe and all 100 Kerbals onboard the grand tour ship are in good health. Picture taken moments before graceful touchdown.

8op4c8d.png

Methinks the KSC is performing some censorship...  Looks like you underestimated the need to slow down before deploying the chutes by quite a margin!  Laythe's atmosphere isn't nearly as forgiving as Duna's or even Kerbin's...