What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After rescuing another rover on Minmus using parts stolen from the previous rescue I landed manualy by whale without any quickload:

AC54554DB89AC5D476CF6571AEB9775F3510395E

for refueling.

Then I found asteroid aiming aat Kerbin at 98 km PE. This is under 100km and is under control of state jurisdiction - this space cannot be violated!

So I build one more asteroid catcher to stop this intrusion and do proper search for spying equipment and set it on LFB that has it own name now (is not ad hoc added to rocket but build as general LFB stage separate):

ACFE5A7B276ED36CC2FFC8CA18FDF2BCA99DB1B3

This time going retrograde with inflatable heat shield on top:

4FA727F500435D6E3058AE6303A2B8D569FDD379

Aiming again precious KSC and because of drag from heat shield (I didnt expect this baloon work so great) landing in grass at the KSC proximity:

3EBDA272C047E11DDCECE0EB3C104AFDB3E3820D

I detailed most of this in the Can't Land Rover thread I created, but today I was able to create rover in the SPH, add it to a rocket in the VAB, launch it, and then land the rover on the Mun.  I took a bunch of science stuff with, so I was able to grab some science from the Highlands where I landed.  Then I drove that thing to the Midlands - took about 90 minutes of real time - and got more science there.  Now I gotta drive to the Lowlands, the Canyons, and the Polar Crater (at least).

Now, the part that had me almost loading a quicksave.  I was zipping along the surface of the Mun at a cool 8.2 m/s on what I thought was flat terrain.  Then I hit the lip of a crater I didn't know was there, and woosh!  I went sailing skyward!  Flipped the rover multiple times, WITH MY ANTENNA EXTENDED.  The antenna, somehow, was spared any damage, and the rover, against all possibility, landed right-side-up!  I so wish I would have gotten video of this.

Tomorrow I shall drive the rover more, and when I've taken all the science I can, I shall put it back in its service bay and fly it to Minmus!

1 hour ago, Popestar said:

Flipped the rover multiple times, WITH MY ANTENNA EXTENDED.  The antenna, somehow, was spared any damage, and the rover, against all possibility, landed right-side-up!  I so wish I would have gotten video of this.

Soon You gonna use this technique intentionaly for breaking from 40m/s sideways.

You can change traction to achive higher speed, by using 100% of motor power and reversing it to get more control. Then use reaction wheels in normal mode to land on wheels. SAS mode to speed up.

23 minutes ago, vv3k70r said:

Soon You gonna use this technique intentionaly for breaking from 40m/s sideways.

You can change traction to achive higher speed, by using 100% of motor power and reversing it to get more control. Then use reaction wheels in normal mode to land on wheels. SAS mode to speed up.

Yeah, this is my first rover.  I will have many changes to make for the next one!

Got my stock mission to the Mun & back into orbit, but didn't have time for the rendezvous & docking with the command module

zFYyc5w.png?1

Spoiler

Transfer to Mun

vI17pTU.png?1

Approaching Mun, jettison of transfer stage & docking with Munar Module.  I set the transfer stage on a collision course with Mun and actually remembered to raise my Pe of the crewed vehicle afterwards without needed a quickload!!!

lMx1TPv.png?1

oGmY1UC.png?1

Hard to see, but the Munar module has separated and is preparing for deorbit burn

aIfDzFH.png?1

5FkqMXB.png?1

Returning to Mun orbit.  What I DIDN"T remember was to wait for the command module to get closer before launching back to orbit.  I have like 2 1/2 days to wait for a good rendezvous now

MudYYbi.png?1

Nothing very interesting happening here, just Val heading up for a pair of rescue contracts. But I liked the shot.

8thOf4R.jpg

In other news, my Mun exploration team completed another landing. I learned in Kerbalism you can have engineers service parts on EVA to reset their reliability timers, and why this is a good idea. Dubus may or may not have had to get out and fix the lander's engine halfway through the landing burn.

vAvyD0h.jpg

Today i updated my Mk. 3 spaceplane, flew a little mission and returned safely to Kerbin.

Tomorrow i will try to put a full orange tank into orbit with this six R.A.P.I.E.R. configuration.

Launching from KSC:

VrHRiJ7.png

Cruising to altitude:

7tOSHcc.png

Building up speed:

y8yldYX.png

In orbit:

Jvyh4J2.png

Deploying cargo:

fDELfrs.png

Re-Entry:

vkg6wyA.png

Desert Airfield in sight:

X2qRrLU.png

Landed at Desert Airfield:

97JDSTH.png

Orbital SCIENCE!

DEXk2Fx.png

I experimented with rover designs all today and yesterday. Made at least ten different rovers. Fun, but I'm not satisfied with any of them.

What I really wanted was to exceed the speed limit of normal rovers with a rotor-based wheel. No such luck. Rigid attachment isn't enough to keep things from losing alignment at 360 RPM, and KAL isn't doing what I need it to do for the controls.

I do like this idea of a rover with central wheels. By putting big wheels in the center and tiny unpowered wheels to the outside, it could be made to fit in a fairing much better than typical designs. But it's probably not worth the trouble with stock wheels being the sizes they are.

rovercenterwheel.png

14 minutes ago, InfernoSD said:

But it's probably not worth the trouble with stock wheels being the sizes they are.

Make Your own wheels using constriction part from stock, electric motors and meybe grip pads. They way better.

I'm roving on Minmus and line of orbiting stuf on same inclination tells exactly how I stay to equator:

6F8E4EDBE1AC370A7716B1025E3F3431AD17C699

After half a year of KSP hiatus I decided to get back into the game and built a rotating and illuminated Space Station around Kerbin at 305 km altitude. I hope the nice blue light relaxes the Kerbonauts aboard the station.

Can you find Minmus?

STxn0ea.png

qUFhl19.png

Well... i seriously thought, the SSTO would need some in depths re-design to lift a full orange tank into orbit, but actually it succeeded on first try with some oomph to spare. It made it safely back to Kerbin in one piece, but i de-orbited too early and could not make it over the mountain range at KSC due to lack of fuel... landing in the wild isn´t that bad though. The rear wheels were definitely a good idea, otherwise it would have lost its rear engines...

TGuZirK.png

8XtTLpd.png

zrXz7RZ.png

There is a weight-shift problem though when picking up payload from orbit and returning it to Kerbin. The craft tends to tumble out of control due to weight shift to the back. I guess, simply exchanging cargo and utility bay would do the trick, as the payload would be located in the front section of the payload area. But that is something for tomorrow.

Edited by Frank_G

I just learned a new neat technique when falling down from a moon to get a planet's gravity assist. the yellow manuever in this picture

pi5C6ka.png

it's a useful manuever to keep all the precious deltaV you spent to go to the moon when making an interplanetary transfer, while also making use of the planet's better oberth effect. its main disadvantage, though, is that it is difficult to set up. you can fall from the moon to the planet at different times with different trajectories, and this changes completely where your periapsis will be. and if you mess that up, you end up losing any advantage. and then you also have to plan the regular manuever, in addition to this complication.

well, i just thought that it would be much easier to plan the manuever if i was in a circular orbit around the planet. that way, i could plan the manuever normally, and it would be easy to see the right place in the orbit to make the manuever. and for that, i can use a different ship in orbit around the planet. it doesn't have to actually make any manuever, i just plan the manuever node with that probe, finding the best place for it. then i go back to the ship in moon orbit, i set the probe as target, this way i see the manuever i planned (in the picture, in green).

at this point i see exactly the manuever i am supposed to be making, i just have to plan my moon ejection burn to set my periapsis as close to the target manuever node as possible.

made my life much easier.