What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I seem to be having progressively worse ‘incidents’ with my crewed missions in low Earth orbit: the first one went without any issues whatsoever, the second lost the main booster engine close to stage separation but still made it to orbit and back, but the third...

The second stage engine lost thrust during orbital insertion, then MechJeb PVG overcompensated for that by pointing vertically up then vertically down to try and make the target orbit and still made a mess of it, then when I managed to salvage a nice intercept of a random satellite to within 100 metres and within one orbit, time warping immediately messed up the orbit and the separation distance went to 10km; trying to fix that wasted the last engine ignitions so all I could do was watch the target sail past at nearly 200m/s. As if that wasn’t bad enough, the pod then refused to let me do an EVA, saying there was no hatch. Once an orbital flight contract was completed I used the remaining fuel in the RCS system to deorbit; as a result the pod came dangerously close to overheating (previous missions used the remaining fuel in the second stage to slow down during re-entry, dramatically reducing the heating problem) before suddenly the pod could EVA after all and the pilot bailed out while the pod was parachuting down. Fortunately he pulled his own parachute and landed safely, as did the pod, but that could have been much worse...

9 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Today I made orbital shipyard parts for the Konstruction mod :D 

image.png

I love the look of Blender in the morning :D... Well done, nice touch of details.

Will the wires at those legs/arms be rigged to move and deform with the limb? Are you using blendshapes for that? Just curious ;) 

19 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I just learned a new neat technique when falling down from a moon to get a planet's gravity assist.

Try doing this the way that You will get back to da Mun gravity well and get even more speed.

it's a useful manuever to keep all the precious deltaV you spent to go to the moon when making an interplanetary transfer

Yes + You gonna refuel from Mun orbit when You build mining so... This is the way.

its main disadvantage, though, is that it is difficult to set up. you can fall from the moon to the planet at different times with different trajectories

Not at all - You gonna lern to make it every time.

and then you also have to plan the regular manuever, in addition to this complication.

This is not a problem - You can corect in proper node. Distance would be so great that small corection will do a lot.

I send engineering vessels (and took some turist in soviet capsule on to - they will fall down later):

C8D8296FE5D3C7DD06E3E579D1CB90EDA4372C4C

I pack lot of neccesary stuff and what didnt fit stick to the vessel (excesive number of reaction wheels and scaners for old vessels).

Landed its booster wuite near:

B18172D5F0B1357DD04D2D38271E1CE520B9C12C

Engineer took scientist on a ride to set some deployable science, but because we have only one seat in cabin scientist have to grab racks hard.

5BC7AE48B978D4465D4748E8C2DC7745BEF3C2EF

Engineer fix some old vessel:

2C8CB3B9970B561F684204EE987C0A34724EC364

That have some tourist on its top awaiting with one free place in soviet capsule for rescue mission back from Minmus - so it take a while.

And there wer dust storm on da Mun, some buildings sunk:

0F5FB3918AB2144B8458A907A68E7AA2984E9D94

4 hours ago, Frank_G said:

I love the look of Blender in the morning :D... Well done, nice touch of details.

Will the wires at those legs/arms be rigged to move and deform with the limb? Are you using blendshapes for that? Just curious ;) 

nah, purely static for this one :)  they are there as greebles, non-functional.

Jeb wanted to go check out the new shaders, so I built the gang a SSTL -- Single Stage To Laythe. Arrived with about 1000 m/s of vacuum dV, which was plenty to do some sightseeing before picking a landing spot. 

They're staying there though because I have no fueling infrastructure in place...

F7EQa8W.png

jzZO3Hd.png

ou834lx.png

D5lHkjv.png

3x3vqM7.png

I'm waiting for 1.11.1. I'm at a point, where I'm a bit frustrated by some bugs. E.g. the halfway opened hatches of the housing of the 1x6 and 3x2 solarpanels upon loading of the vehicle. It's immersion breaking for me and my fleet of spaceplanes. Or the flags tipping over, or the change of orbit , if a kerbal is on a ladder on EVA. Hope the update comes soon.

Edited by Rakete
Spelling

Squarely from the "just because" file: another long-hauler. I wanted to make something that Spaceman Spiff would have liked. This one is nimble, a bit dangerous, but flies itself to orbit almost without intervention, and once there has well over 4000 m/s to go places. And by "places" I mean Laythe because its really not capable of landing safely on planets without an atmosphere. Nor can it dock, carry a lot of science, nor do anything else that's particularly useful.

Accelerate to 100 m/s, rotate, point nose at 15 degrees, and when the jets go silent, switch on the atomic rocket and cruise to orbit!

FrODAiZ.png

3 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

is this an environmental effect from a mod, or a kraken attack?

I guess it is about unity aproximation of displaying object. In case of The Mighty Kraken it would explode. In case of mode it would fall beneath the surface and disapear.

It came from the issue of base (it is docked) root is far from this object (it is docked to docked to docked vessel with meybe more loops) and all positions are counted from celestial body center to root to object, but terrain is displayed from celestial boty reference frame. It is why it overlap (it is why runaway in KSC is efectivly curved against Kerbin being a flat object).

I built a new supply shuttle SSTO for the space station I built yesterday and successfully transported a tiny exploration mote craft to the station. Along with some snacks -- the scientists aboard the station requested biscuits as compensation for having to give up simulated gravity for several minutes.

UUHZpls.png

The exploration craft is tiny enough to fit through the station rings so we could deploy it after having docked the shuttle. The docking port is placed on an alligator hinge so it doesn't touch the bay doors when stowed.

htUYigL.png

It should be pointed out that the shuttle still has some atmospheric instabilities during re-entry. Rumours about crimes towards kerbalkind committed during landing are a pure fabrication and should not be paid any attention to whatsoever.

I completed a something-like-20-year mission to put up a basic relay network in solar orbit. This is what a relay network is supposed to look like, right? It makes cool shapes in the tracking station anyway.

relaynet.png

Also got this station hanging over Duna. I just barely fit the whole thing inside a fairing to get it out of Kerbin's atmosphere. The solar panels can be folded down for docking. It has plenty of leftover delta-v, so it may make a trip to Jool in the future.

dunastation1.png

Another long-hauler design study : the Aerondight. She will take a crew of three from KSC runway to the Munar surface and back... without refueling.

She does a tail-first landing in vacuum, otherwise flies like a plane. Pretty easy to handle as long as you watch out for tail strikes when taking off, and are aware of the low TWR when doing the Mun landing -- it's an almost continuous burn down from orbit, with only the last bit finessed.  And if landing on a hillside, make use of the width for better stability. Oh, and save a bit of Ox (about 60-80 units is enough) to kick off the Munar surface, and burn off any leftover fuel you have to slow down on the way back, otherwise re-entry will likely be too hot.

She also has a docking port for refueling in the field.

I'm rather proud of this one actually.

lT3vl1E.png

PAAIITU.png

TmKE4jv.png

Bh3UdQj.png

Today I fooled around with previous saves, giggling like a little kid.

My 15 years of providing my kids with computing equipment finally paid off as I inherited a GTX 780 OC II from my youngest daughter.

KSP doesn't use much GPU, but the upgrade from a HD 6570 1GB board was awesome.

Everything on max, and no lag or issues.

Now I'll continue to re-visit all my saved crafts I have in orbit :)

Made a new space station in what I consider high Kerbin orbit. It took two weeks, eleven launches, lots of undocking and docking, manual rolls, and a lot of cussin' to get it the way I like it. And no, this station did not use any sort of "shuttle" to assemble it in orbit. However, I need to go clean up LKO which is now full of dangerously discarded second stage assemblies. :)

dG1vnxU.png

OiGfDe2.png

For those of you who want to know, this is me playing 1.11. :) And here's more information in case you want to know:

• It's modded (naturally)
    • EVE and related mods
    • Distant Object Enhancement mod
    • A bunch of @Nertea's mods
    • A bunch of @Snark's mods
  • It can house a crew of eight comfortably, although there are slots for 18.
  • It has its own greenhouse module
  • Primarily relies on solar power but has the capability to use LFO to generate electricity
  • Has the ability to be added onto - it has seven docking ports.

I'll be the first to tell you there are a lot of differences between 1.3 (the game where I am still working on Kerny Kerman's Journal) and 1.11.

In another "why not" moment, I decided to put a satellite into polar solar orbit, iow an orbit around the sun with an inclination of 90 degrees and a radius similar to that of Kerbin.

Now if only I'd not forgotten to put a relay antenna on it, that satellite might have actually been useful for something :)

15 minutes ago, jwenting said:

In another "why not" moment, I decided to put a satellite into polar solar orbit, iow an orbit around the sun with an inclination of 90 degrees and a radius similar to that of Kerbin.

Now if only I'd not forgotten to put a relay antenna on it, that satellite might have actually been useful for something :)

Holy cow, what was your dV budget?

34 minutes ago, SkyRender said:

A quick maneuver node check on a craft in a near-Kerbin orbit shows that it'd be around 13,500dV to go from 0 degrees to 90 degrees about the sun.

From experience, it's much cheaper to burn up to a highly elliptical orbit, get out past Eeloo, then alter course to a polar orbit. Three burns instead of one. You save 30-40% dV, but you lose many years of time.