What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

The gang at Laythe Kosmodrome requested a runabout for exploring, so I built them the BAK Legend. It's on its way up now. Another single-stage to Laythe although the plan is that the transport module's arrival will be on the percussive side, as the Legend detaches from it once they have safely entered the atmosphere... She's currently in orbit around Kerbin with about 2500 m/s in the tank (2800 if I have to use the ballast, which would be unfortunate). I think 2500 m/s ought to be enough although it is a bit on the tight side; fortunately aiming precisely for the Kosmodrome isn't a problem because the Legend is powered by atoms and can fly there by itself, regardless of where it ends up.

UutySIr.png

3gwgfe8.png

Continued with my new career a little more today, starting with a Mun flyby probe then followed by a suborbital launch by Val and an orbital launch with Jeb

Spoiler

This time I remembered the decoupler - and the probe itself has several hundred m/s with a tiny monoprop engine, allowing it to adjust its flight path past the Mun, then enter a stable Kerbin orbit after its fly-by mission

8EgvxD5h.png?1

Mun fly-by was successful on the first attempt, then returned to a very high orbit around Kerbin to provide improved communicaions

yLELVOWh.png?1

After jettisoning the Moho-A booster, Vall rotated her pod around to watch it drift away near the Ap of her suborbital hop

eg4h1M9h.png?1

Then turned back to catch a nice view of Kerbol over Kerbin

J1ILRnmh.png?1

Next up, it was Jeb's turn again, with the first manned orbital flight and the first flight of the Moho-B launch vehicle featuring a stage-and-a-half design

kbnyM5dh.png?1

With over half the fuel expended, it was time to jettison the half stage booster engines and continue on the sustainer

Xth7Uffh.png?1

Stage separation and firing the new Pug orbital engine

NmRFI16h.png?1

Once clear of the atmosphere, the nosecone was jettisoned then the Pug fired the second time for orbital insertion

GJGTTT4h.png?1

Jeb's first view from orbit.  Due to the lack of power generating ability, the trip was limited to two hours in orbit

Kx392sMh.png?1

After reentry burn, the orbital stage was jettisoned

eoFFVCLh.png?2

Reentry was smooth and Jeb landed safely in the desert west of the DSC

axBHJpbh.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

5 hours ago, kylelander said:

Went to Venus, took some screenies and had a good time.

Man these RSS pictures look so juicy I'm actually tempted to quit playing around with space magic and give this a shot. Any advice?

My preferences:

• Not keen on Principia, want to stick to patched conics
  • Not keen on part failures
  • Am keen on realistic parts balanced for RSS

On 1/26/2021 at 12:41 PM, Maj Solo said:

Today I encountered the KSP docking port bug.

KML helps a lot.

On 1/27/2021 at 2:36 AM, Bedazzled said:

What's with the flags?

You are not fit to be a conqueror - Duna repels Your teritorial claim.

On 1/27/2021 at 4:07 AM, Misguided Kerbal said:

Yes.

This photo look great!

On 1/28/2021 at 3:45 AM, Cavscout74 said:

plasma blackout, signal required for control

It is what I started with. I do not imagine to do it otherwise.

How to get hidden content... eye icon? For spoilers? This one is not apriopriate if You are not enough to buy something in pub. And it is some old dwarf grumbling

Spoiler

Weekend. I can create summary of KSP time wasting I did this week. I took a half a glass of bourbon and filled rest of it with mead wondering how many peoply playing KSP was playing Battletech  for very many years ago, get in astr-phy studies and like bourbon. I heard stories. It could be common.

I tested many plane to orbit without rapier. I used splash-your-wish engines and verniers - it works.

DEB7F95E0342C1A151DE994BEAE8436FA99C9EF4

But it has not enoug oxidizer to circularize. So i try with one engine:

E31CB3A4170CED47633AAC2DC5804D5A091A9E33

More engines and fuel:

5AC9B6E76ACD73737503579974FEF74B91DC2C8F

Something that works, we go home:

74E63E30445185EDE2ADBB8902880EF81BA7DB99

Reentry is an issue with that little airfoils so try something bigger:

6A53A4D00E98C38063579BC51E626E76F2D34D4A

And than I get back to playin without beeing pleased with no rapier solution for plane in orbit, so I did some EVA sience on most apriopriate moment (just after this photo):

BFB75952135A1A08BF3370DEC1D40593A0DFC0C6

I expected golf, but they throw some screws!

So Mitrod K. flew the BAK Legend to the Laythe Kosmodrome. Everything performed to spec, with just a few minor hitches and oddities. One was that Destrier -- the big plane carrying the combination from KSC all the way there -- has very little torque authority, which meant that I couldn't control the attitude on atmospheric entry all that well; this meant that I ended up doing two passes through the atmosphere before final re-entry, and I wasn't able to control that well enough to drop Legend anywhere near the Kosmodrome. So it ended up a bit of long sightseeing flight from the point where Legend and Destrier went their separate ways, to home base.

Another very odd hitch was that even though I'm positive I built the craft symmetrically, she torqued ever so slightly to port. I had to set the thrust limiter on the starboard atomic engine to 98.5% to counter that. 

Overall I liked this design. The twin-hull lifter carrying a spaceplane worked well, I think Burt Rutan may be on to something.

Some pictures from the odyssey, from the dark of interplanetary space to arrival:

hFpdkAd.png

UY79Dy4.png

FL70I42.png

IYa0gKp.png

1c5PDCr.png

nioXSCL.png

be0IvMy.png

Hq0x3a1.png

tkWOnsp.png

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Man these RSS pictures look so juicy I'm actually tempted to quit playing around with space magic and give this a shot. Any advice?

My preferences:

• Not keen on Principia, want to stick to patched conics
  • Not keen on part failures
  • Am keen on realistic parts balanced for RSS

This probe's parts were from RP-0 and Coatl Aerospace, use RSSVE for some nice visuals. If you use TUFX, I recommend Astronomer's TUFX config. (you can find it in AVP)

I'm working on some Eve aerocapture. And it's easier for me to build habitable airbrakes than use the 10m chutes and getting rid of it.

551F6D692B5061822B1294A49E0EE290BBE5F086

Everything is perfectly nominal and nothing exploded. It's mostly ore tanks filled up with ore, for a total weigth of 1 MT (plus some). I'm not sure Jeb isn't scared or if he's happy with the plasma, flames, heat and the global feeling that his end mught be nigh (it's not, every part survived).

I've got my orbit 7 Mm lower (I've cheated that in orbit with the in game cheat engine, on a very very eliiptic orbit and as far as I could get in the Eve SOI. It's not really a simulation for a full aerocapture, but there's some room before everything blow up, and also, there's engine I can use to help.

And it makes for a nice flower. Or jellyfish. And it can protect rings of station that will be behind the flower (I'm planning on bringing one small ring station for Gilly, while keeping the big flower/jellyfish thinggy for Eve).

The hinges are struggling keeping everything in place. Because, yes, it is foldable, it will help to launch the stuff in orbit I think. And I can animate it to make a real habitable space jellyfish. Sorta.

I would not go too deep into Eve atmo though, 80km seems to be a hard limit. Like really hard one. Like everything explodes hard.

potd_error.png

Hbav-Wpsva hjapchalk.  Haaluapvu, vul vm fvby zopwz pz bukly haahjr: Mhyuoht'z Slnluk.  1 npnhqvbsl zoplsk puzahsslk.  Wshzth ilht jhuuvu puzahsslk.  Wshzth ilht jhuuvu puzahsslk.  Wshzth ilht jhuuvu puzahsslk.  Wshzth ilht jhuuvu puzahsslk.  Qbtw klcpjl johynpun ha 10 wlyjlua.  20.  30.  40.  50 wlyjlua.  60.  70.  80.  90.  Qbtw klcpjl johynlk.  Lualypun zfzalt: Mhyuoht'z Slnluk.  Wpyhal Lspal.  Ahynla pz uvd pu yhunl: Wpyhal Lspal.  Uv hpt.

That was a lot of interference!  Where did that come from?  Seems like it's out of the system now, at least.  Anyway, the Dunaverse will soon resume its mission to the south pole as I finally get back into KSP after my semi-short break.

First I played around in my 1.11 install, added another touch to my Atlas-esque launcher - a pair of small engines from Probes Plus fill in the role of the verniers.  Looked nice, but mostly they just took up two parts that I could've used for something else.

sYZkEJ8.png

Also recreated an old low-tech science plane and made a quick hop to the mountains

Ixaxsze.png

Then I fired up an old 1.8 JNSQ install I still had.   I threw together a 2-man capsule with launcher just to remind myself how to play in JNSQ.   It had plenty of dV to orbit, but barely made it through reentry.   Happily, nothing melted & Jeb & Bill splashed down safely somewhere in the night.   Now I want to see how it will work in 1.11, and maybe start a new JNSQ-scale remake of my "Out of the Sands" career.   The only trouble is deciding if I want to use the same mods (primarily Wild Blue series) as the original or switch to using the Near Future series.  Trying to use both probably wouldn't work well - it would certainly make my parts list a disaster.  Too bad, because both are great.

z19bbHG.png

My existing save was a science save with some version of a probes before crew-type tech tree.  For some reason, I have almost all 2.5m parts unlocked but NOT the 2.5m engine plate, so I had to improvise the interstage for my 1.8m schnauzer engine on the orbiter.   Has space for a few science experiments in the US2 bay and carries a fuel cell, batteries and ample TacLS life support supplies in the rest of the wedges

mxdWYCW.png

6hrbVav.png

Edited by Cavscout74

OkN0En7.png

Successfully tested a large carrier and its small VTOL SSTO I'm planning to send to Laythe in my modded career save. Probably my most ambitious project so far, really happy with how it is turning out.

Apparently the MkIV spaceplane mod is amazing for making low partcount, good-looking and functional boats, seems almost intentional :D

Would appreciate naming suggestions for the carrier btw.

Full album: https://imgur.com/gallery/DSCD4Ry

Edited by Apelsin

6 hours ago, Apelsin said:

OkN0En7.png

Successfully tested a large carrier and its small VTOL SSTO I'm planning to send to Laythe in my modded career save. Probably my most ambitious project so far, really happy with how it is turning out.

Apparently the MkIV spaceplane mod is amazing for making low partcount, good-looking and functional boats, seems almost intentional :D

Would appreciate naming suggestions for the carrier btw.

Full album: https://imgur.com/gallery/DSCD4Ry

That looks amazing! I like your creative use of Kerbal Planetary Base Systems for the command section. As for names maybe crocodile or alligator (because it’s green) or catfish. 

I'm tooling around with twin-hull designs. It seems like a good solution for delivering large-volume, relatively low-mass cargo. The payload pod would have to be designed around a 3.75 m fairing, which is a quite a bit roomier than the Mk 3 cargo bays.

This one is promising, CoM-neutral, low-torque, docile to handle, payload CoM lines up nicely with craft CoM. I think it would scale up nicely to about 120 tons take-off mass, capable of delivering about a 20-ton payload to Laythe. Now I just have to figure out what that 20-ton payload is. A floating base maybe?

xaMQFFj.jpg

Edit: and speaking of cargo, tooled around with something else. Been ages since I tried making a sub. This one works pretty nicely, it's naturally buoyant so needs to be moving forward to stay submerged. Has a crawl gear good for about 5-7 m/s and a cruise gear that takes her to 16 m/s. 

Golly gosh it looks pretty underwater nowadays, what with the progress in Scatterer...

Kv0dTi3.png

Edited by Guest

I spent a few hours working on a sample return mission to the Moon. After painstakingly designing each stage to maximise the available delta-V I tried it in the simulator and concluded that landing it on the Moon was feasible. Then I rebooted the simulator but with it landed on the Moon and attempted to fly it back... Turns out it needs about another 1km/s from somewhere, which is beyond the abilities of my current launch rockets. On the bright side, at least I found this out before I spent the money to do it 'for real'.

Coming back after a break I sent Jeb to Minmus.

img%5D

img%5D

I then sent Val  to the Mun.

img%5D

Turns out I made a slight miscalculation and so when Val took off for the trip home, she was stranded in a 15KM x 18KM orbit with 83 m/s Delta Vee left in the tank.

img%5D

So we had to send a rescue ship to bring her home.

img%5D